2019 Summer Schools

Nicola Moriarty

Woodside Dance Retreat are delighted to announce its 2019 International Summer School 

Principals Week 1 - 20th July to 27th July 2019 (12 places ONLY)
Principals Week 2 - 27th July to 3rd August 2019 (12 places ONLY)

Come and share a small intimate studio with World Renown Principal dancers and some of the best classical teachers on the planet. Each teaching for a full day for our 12 guests. Final line up will be announced Christmas 2018. Already confirmed. Royal Ballet’s Principal Dancer Edward Watson MBE, Ballet Master Ricardo Cervera and World renown teacher Anita Young.

Course fee’s £1,395. Free food and accommodation for long distance students. Please email for other live-out options.

We will again head out for a group trip to London’s West End and return via limousine, and this year we will have two professional photo shoots with twice as many pictures for our guests to share with the world.

Email 
nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com with any questions you may have, or to secure your place. 

We want to welcome you to this amazing training experience like no other and to the WDR family.

www.woodsidedanceretreat.com

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Nicola Moriarty said:

Woodside Dance Retreat are delighted to announce its 2019 International Summer School 

Principals Week 1 - 20th July to 27th July 2019 (12 places ONLY)
Principals Week 2 - 27th July to 3rd August 2019 (12 places ONLY)

Come and share a small intimate studio with World Renown Principal dancers and some of the best classical teachers on the planet. Each teaching for a full day for our 12 guests. Final line up will be announced Christmas 2018. Already confirmed. Royal Ballet’s Principal Dancer Edward Watson MBE, Ballet Master Ricardo Cervera and World renown teacher Anita Young.

Course fee’s £1,395. Free food and accommodation for long distance students. Please email for other live-out options.

We will again head out for a group trip to London’s West End and return via limousine, and this year we will have two professional photo shoots with twice as many pictures for our guests to share with the world.

Email 
nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com with any questions you may have, or to secure your place. 

We want to welcome you to this amazing training experience like no other and to the WDR family.

www.woodsidedanceretreat.com

What age dancer is this suitable for, please?

Edited by Bellaballerina's mum
Mistyped

On 07/09/2018 at 01:23, leotardmum said:

love this thread! so much info ....

yes i need to feedback info on summer schools etc over here in oz!

firstly my daughter had the most amazing time at RBS white lodge spring school...desperate to now attend full time /return next yr .... it was everything she had dreamed and hoped for !

we live in brisbane now  and oh my the dance world here is very well developed and set up  especially for competitions... i counted 25 competitions/eisteddfods just  this year  that kids can do with solos etc  just within a 2 hour radius of Brisbane...imagine this in UK !!!!!! this isnt including the group eisteddfods that the dance schools do aswell...... oh and the state/private schools also run dance programs and enter competitions also ..... 

that is for another thread iam sure....we are in our 2nd year of solo competition now ......

plus we have JMA RAD awards for brisbane region yearly .... Alana Haines in NZ ..... Asian Grand Prix ....... the list is endless it seems ..... 

compared to my ballet background that was strict RAD back in the 70-80s in northern england this is totally different for me as a mum!

ok holiday schools and summer schools..... info i have gleamed so far ( iam in Brisbane and i may be missing stuff due to location/age of my child etc so apologies list may miss some ) 

Australian ballet school  melbourne - non selective -just pay and go  it seems in summer and i think  most school holidays

IBW international ballet workshops- non selective -pay and go in the big cites in summer and winter breaks approx 5 day courses- seem to fill up very fast 

Claudia Dean runs courses - non selective -pay and go- seem to fill up quickly

Bolshoi Australia Summer Intensive in melbourne and sydney - selective via live audition or video submission only 

Queensland Ballet - summer schools-  selective via application forms/photo 

Local schools run own summer schools courses of course  and each city will prob have other stuff going on aswell .....

another thing going on here is youth ballet and contemporary  groups that you audition for and do a yearly performance  ...in brisbane alone we have Brisbane City Youth Ballet, Ballet Theatre Qld, i think now 4 contemporary groups are going now in the city ...... dance is just huge over here

compared to my dancing days  its crazy over here at times with what is available !!! xxxxxxx

Hi, 

Thank you for all the details of SS in Oz. Any details on schools out west. Perth in particular. Youngest DD would love to visit her big bro who lives just south of the city. Seems a good idea if she did travel that far was to utilise the time wisely. Thank you 

6 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi, 

Thank you for all the details of SS in Oz. Any details on schools out west. Perth in particular. Youngest DD would love to visit her big bro who lives just south of the city. Seems a good idea if she did travel that far was to utilise the time wisely. Thank you 

afraid perth is a 4 hour flight away so not sure what goes on over there  but i have  heard of WAPA, Pevnev academy , western australian ballet just thro different fb posts etc  or thro dancetrain magazine fb site    but no idea  really plus iam only at primary school age stuff  not older/advanced stuff yet so prob miss a lot of info for older dancers  due to what iam looking at/for on web/fb  etc  .... iam sure there is stuff going on  and no doubt plenty of dance comps and eistedffods lol,  each state has there own RAD set up  and fb/website  i have noted , lived there for 6 months many yrs ago before having kids-lovely place  x

Over the years I have had several pupils attend the summer school. All have loved it and some went more than once.  However the last pupil to go was a couple of years ago, so not totally up to date info, but I don't think it has changed much.  The big difference with other summer schools is that there is no photo selection.  They state the minimum requirements for each age group and then it is a "first come first served basis".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I can only see ‘applications open soon’ but no fees for 2919 on link...

do post dates you have seen Jan -  thx! 

The dates are on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/yorkshireballetsummerschool/

Applications for the SS and funding auditions open on 1st October.  I can't find the dates of the 2019 SS though.

Funding audition dates:

London 11th November

Birmingham 18th November

Leeds 25th November

• Like 1

Dear All

RE October Autumn Summer School Offer.

For the whole month of October you can book your place on our Summer Schools for only £315 deposit and we will help spread the costs of your 2019 Summer School throughout the year.

Secure your son/daughters place with a deposit of just £315, and then 9 equal payments of £120 per month via standing order on the 1st of each month, starting on the 1st November 2018.

Email us know to find out more details. nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com and we can saner any questions you may have.

Thank you

Nic x

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Irishdancemom said:

Hi,

Can anybody tell me roughly when Elmhurst Summer School dates get released. Don’t see anything yet?

Thanks

I think it must be soon, we did application photos along with lower school ones last year, so must have been October-ish. Elmhurst is a lovely summer school. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

It's free :) And it was also free to attend the scholarship audition!

Thanks Sunrise81.  Does anyone know how likely you are to get a place and how would people rate it?  DD met someone who went a few few years ago.  They are a really experienced dancer and at that time entering and winning competitions.  She is too shy to ask the girl for information so hoping someone here can shed some light before we attempt the photos - never my strong point!

My DD attended 1 week last year & really enjoyed it.... good range of teachers & styles with different repertoire & she made some great friends for life! 

She hopes to go again this year (Happy New Year everyone!) & wants to do the 2 weeks...attended to scholarship audition so fingers crossed for success 🤞🏻

(I do think possibly more for the older dancers say (14+) not least as they are in single rooms which I think my DD would’ve not liked if younger) 

Well worth going for - & lovely that a high standard selective school is free to apply for! 👍🏻

Good luck! 

Hi, my daughter would like to apply for ballet summer schools this summer and we have a few we have decided to apply for. Just wandering if anyone could tell me about NYB. Is it good ballet training or is ballet the ‘warm up’ and time mostly focused on creating choreography and performing?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All Ballet Enthusiasts

We are so excited to Announce that Zenaida Yanowsky, Ex principal dancer of The Royal Ballet Company, and famous for her role as the Queen of Hearts in Alice In Wonderland will be joining us for a FULL day on our International Summer School - Principals Week 1 from 20th July to 27th July 2019. Week 2 27th July - 3rd August 2019.

ALL INCLUSIVE week only - £1395.00 with ONLY 12 GUESTS.

Quality up close personal attention and correction from the best ballet dancers and teachers on the planet. We are not the cheapest Summer School, but we are incredible value for money.

Did I mention..................!

Edward Watson MBE - Principal Dancer The Royal Ballet Company

Ricardo Cervera - Ballet Master of The Royal Ballet Company

Anita Young MBE - 50 years Royal Ballet School and Royal Ballet Company

and

Oliver Matz from Tanz Academy Zurich, (His ONLY UK Summer School in 2019)

Be seen, Be corrected, be inspired by these WORLD CLASS teachers, all coming for a whole day to teach just 12 guests.

Please message for more info.

Thanks

Nicola x

P.S. PLUS Two professional Photo shoots and trip the the West End and return via Limo. 

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Have heard that some schools may consider allowing pupils permitted absence for things like this or elite football camps etc under ‘educating off site’ provisions so could be worth exploring. 

Yes thus is true for our dd. It's in her last week of term and if she gets a place her primary school have said they would authorise as education off site.

On 17/01/2019 at 04:37, Peanut68 said:

Have heard that some schools may consider allowing pupils permitted absence for things like this or elite football camps etc under ‘educating off site’ provisions so could be worth exploring. 

Yes, I know that our school would authorise the absence, I just don't see why a summer school should be during term time! I always thought that they were for the holidays. Seems odd to me. I don't think my daughter should have to sacrifice the last 2 weeks of the school year to attend a summer course. Anyway, we didn't apply for this reason - I was just curious as to whether there was an actual reason! ❤️ 

• Like 1