2019 Summer Schools

Nicola Moriarty

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, SMabbutt said:

Does anyone know if OPES is running this year? I haven't able to find anything but I was sure we had applied by now for the previous years.

My daughter had Peter and Shannon Parker teaching her at her Cecchetti Associates Lesson just before Xmas. They said they were rebranding (cant remember name) but did mention they would be doing a summer school as some of the students had been to it previously.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:04, ImgyA said:

Yes, I know that our school would authorise the absence, I just don't see why a summer school should be during term time! I always thought that they were for the holidays. Seems odd to me. I don't think my daughter should have to sacrifice the last 2 weeks of the school year to attend a summer course. Anyway, we didn't apply for this reason - I was just curious as to whether there was an actual reason! ❤️ 

I don't know, but it might be because private schools finish school for the summer earleir than state schools and the school wants to run the summer school right after they break up for the summer for practical and staffing reasons. It's defintely a shame that this impacts those attending  state schools though.

4 hours ago, SMabbutt said:

Does anyone know if OPES is running this year? I haven't able to find anything but I was sure we had applied by now for the previous years.

Shannon and Peter are doing their own course called psinternationalballet and Olivia is extending her Malvern Easter course to a summer course too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the update on OPES everyone. DD will miss it as she's attended for several years but unfortunately we won't be able to make the dates for either of the alternative schemes this year. We had planned around the dates in previous years so are already busy for these weeks. 

I wanted to add that YBSS are adding a third week. Anyone doing two weeks can choose either weeks one and two or weeks two and three - I asked!  The problem is that that means that week two is going to be full and I have a student who has applied for just that week 🙁.  I really hope that she will be accepted - it's a wonderful course and the standard is very high.  The evening masterclasses are fantastic!  I have watched for the last couple of years and hope to visit again this coming summer.

Edited by Dance*is*life

45 minutes ago, Dopedeedoo said:

Hello all I have just been looking a little at MBS Easter and summer courses. My dd is 11....any tips on how they select or is it just s case of filling in the application form and first come first served? Many thanks 

Hi, you just fill in the form. My dd is 11 and will be going to the Easter one for her third time this year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I received results today for the Paris Opera Summer School. My 14 yr old dd is in a waiting list just like the Royal ballet. What do you suggest me to do? Shall I try other intensives or wait? I would like it to be in Europe, any suggestions? Thanks 

Hi, can anyone advise if children have to audition for the RB summer school? My daughter was too young for this year, but we can apply next year. She’s a JA (year 4) if that makes any difference. I can only see information on their website about applications, nothing about auditions. I did the RB summer school when I was 10, and we had to audition back then!

22 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

Hi, can anyone advise if children have to audition for the RB summer school? My daughter was too young for this year, but we can apply next year. She’s a JA (year 4) if that makes any difference. I can only see information on their website about applications, nothing about auditions. I did the RB summer school when I was 10, and we had to audition back then!

It's all done by photo audition :)

• Like 1

Hi, I am just double checking something before I send the application off. 

I’m applying for the Elmhurst Senior Summer School but I can’t see anything about an application fee so I’m assuming there isn’t one. Is that correct? 

Also, I will only have chance to post it on Monday, the 4th, (I live about 2-3 hours from Birmingham), if I post it 1st Class they should receive it by Friday the 8th shouldn’t they? 

Thank you for any help 😊

Post it in a POst Office or (PO section within a shop) & ask for a proof of posting.... they’ll print off a slip so you will have that reassurance that you can prove it was posted in good time (& well in advance of the early bird rate 😉)

First Class Royal Mail  should get there the next day if posted before last collection....ever the optimist me!! Do make sure you check size & weight to get correct postage as from what I remember from posting in previous years it’s a largish set of docs which possibly weigh more than the standard large letter stamp rate so do go into a PO to buy correct first class postage rate & not get caught out! 

DD did Junior SS twice (or 3 times??? Lose track...) & enjoyed it.

Goid luck to your DC!

Not ever applied for Senior course as timings not good for family but be interested to hear of people’s expetience...

Just an aside....do wish the prestigious schools that hold older age SS chose by holding auditions or asked for videos to apply for places as I think photo & form only applications are less than ideal for all concerned....

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Post it in a POst Office or (PO section within a shop) & ask for a proof of posting.... they’ll print off a slip so you will have that reassurance that you can prove it was posted in good time (& well in advance of the early bird rate 😉)

First Class Royal Mail  should get there the next day if posted before last collection....ever the optimist me!! Do make sure you check size & weight to get correct postage as from what I remember from posting in previous years it’s a largish set of docs which possibly weigh more than the standard large letter stamp rate so do go into a PO to buy correct first class postage rate & not get caught out! 

DD did Junior SS twice (or 3 times??? Lose track...) & enjoyed it.

Goid luck to your DC!

Not ever applied for Senior course as timings not good for family but be interested to hear of people’s expetience...

Just an aside....do wish the prestigious schools that hold older age SS chose by holding auditions or asked for videos to apply for places as I think photo & form only applications are less than ideal for all concerned....

Thank you so much! I’ll go in on Monday and do what you said. My mum has bought a hard-backed envelope (I think that’s what it is?!) to keep the photos straight so they can weigh that.  Is it ok if I’ve folded the forms in half? I’ve also done an NYB audition but I’m not expecting anything so I may do OPES again. I’m glad your DD had fun! 

Thanks again xxx

41 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Glad it was helpful! Folded forms fine but try to keep your photos flat!

Fingers crossed for happy outcome from this & NYB audition! 

Yes, I’ve got the photos flat. Thank you so much, whatever the outcome I’m just grateful for the opportunities I’m given. 

• Like 1

Don’t recall ever paying a fee the years DD went....think there was a deposit required to secure place once offered with balance of fees due closer to summer. I looked at website just now & can’t see that there is a fee at all for SS (think there is only a fee to apply for the actual school full time courses)

🤞🏻🤞🏻