Room 101

taxi4ballet

Sorry to hear that, Anjuli.  Never pleasant to have that happen, but it doesn't really help when people tell you that the hawk has to eat as well. 

However, it is usually a sign of a healthy bird population if the larger predators take up residence. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will pass along your hugs and condolences to the remaining mockingbird...if it is still around.   

I thought the response of the crows was interesting.   The hawk just ignored the ruckus.

I've seen the hawk fairly close - it's a beautiful creature and is doing what it was meant to do.  It is so much stronger than its prey.  Those talons are frightening.

As I understand it, mockingbirds do not mate for life so hopefully the one who survived will find another mate.

We have a number of different hawks here: red tailed hawks, osprey, chicken hawks and probably others.  The talons on any of them are formidable.

• 1 month later...

Excessive street furniture.

There is a school near me, and along that stretch of road there are:

Speed bumps, chicanes, bollards, rumble strips, double yellow lines, zig-zags, chevrons, a temporary speed reduction to 20mph at school times, a zebra crossing, flashing lights, a lollipop-wielding zealot, school signs - you name it and it's there.

The thing is... you are so preoccupied with negotiating all that lot, you would never have time to notice that stray child darting uexpectedly into the road... :o

• Like 2

Knitting.  I have been trying to knit this white fluffy scarf for many years.  I can't see stitches when I drop them and have undone it so many times.  Well I decided recently that it had just got to be finished and I had done really well until today, when i needed to join the next ball of wall on.  Horrible mess, ended up undoing loads that I had knitted, but I think I've managed to pick all the stitches up again.  Sending it to HobbyCraft with non-dd tomorrow so one of the knitters can check I've got all the stitches back on the needle.  What really gets me is that I've already made a dark red and light brown scarf in the same type of wool.  Why can't I finish this white one off??!!

• Like 1

"Unexpected item in bagging area."

A baggage handler.  :)

Other phrases I hate

"I've got to say..." followed by something extremely unkind.    Er - no, you haven't.

"I was told this in strictest confidence..."  So why are you telling me then?

• Like 3

That "I hear what you are saying"..I think is one of the expressions they push on these assertive training courses......to acknowledge the person speaking to etc etc when you are about to disagree with them......I think its polite speak for "you've just been talking a load of old cobblers!" Sort of....I hear what you are saying but it's going in one ear and out the other as far as I'm concerned.

You are wonderfully patient with your knitting Porthesia.......the thought of unpicking something and re knitting etc....I hope you do finish it......it reminds me of terrible times with sewing and knitting at school :( I'm sure mine would have ended up as nesting material for the birds!!

My pet hate at the moment is ZINC OXIDE TAPE!!

The physio showed me how to strap my foot up with this stuff and the idea was to then practice at home etc. before I next see her.Well I did......and managed to take some skin off my foot so now have a doubley sore foot and am having to wear padded plasters over the new "injury"

Even without this I can't say I like the stuff surely there must be something better on the market for strapping. Ive abandoned for the mo but may have to resort to strapping over those nylon gym shoe "mini socks" rather than onto bare skin. Feels like a form of torture to add insult to injury!

If you are prone to dropping stitches - count them after you finish each row - that way you will never have to pull out more than one row.  The way to undo a row is to unpick the stitches until you come to the one you dropped.  Don't ever pull the row of stitches off the needle - that puts you in danger of losing more stitches.

There are two ways of connecting a new ball of yarn to your work: 

1.  Add the new thread at the beginning of a row - you can weave the end in along the outer border later.  You don't need to make a knot - just pull a small loop of the new yarn through the last loop of the old yarn - so it becomes a stitch.  It will be the first stitch on the next row.

2.  If you need to connect the ends of the yarn in the middle of a row - make a tiny knot and weave in the ends as you knit.

My mother taught me to knit and crochet when I was five years old.  I was recovering from mumps or chicken pox and very bored and driving her crazy, I'm sure - so this was how she occupied me.    I've never been without some kind of hard work since.  In addition to knitting and crocheting, I love to embroider.  

After all these years, everyone in the family - plus friends - has all the afghans, socks, scarves, shawls, baby caps, mittens, leg warmers, slippers - etc. they could ever want or need.  So, for the last decade or so I have been making Linus Blankets for the Linus Project.  It keeps my fingers busy and saves people from getting more unwanted slippers.  :)

I sometimes wonder if I've knitted/crocheted over a million stitches?  

Poor Fiz.  I didn't notice your earlier post, hope you are feeling better now.

That virus seems to be doing the rounds, I know a couple of people who are not feeling too good at the moment.

I like knitting, I find it relaxing, and I was taught by my mother at the same age as Anjuli.  Some of things I knitted my mother when I was teenager were still being worn by her 30 years later.  She always said home knitted jumpers were so much warmer than anything you could buy in the shops. 

• Like 1

Sorry, Fiz, I missed your post as well - hope you are better soon.

I used the joining method where you are using the two strands of wool, the old and new bits and this is where it looked wrong.  I did unpick stitch by stitch until I got to the knotty mess and just couldn't sort it out so did the dreaded taking off the needles.  My mother was an expert knitter, but unfortunately I don't follow in her footsteps. I've knotted one jumper with a cable which took me over 18 years, one matinee jacket and the aforementioned two scarves. 

Thanks for all the advice Anjuli, I actually count as I'm knitting, couldn't risk counting at the end of the row!   Once I'm sure it's all back on the needles correctly I will give it another go - I will finish it but after that I think I will stick to my cross stitch - have enough kits and patterns to keep me quiet.

edited to try and make sense!!

Edited by porthesia

Fiz - we need to have a word......no more being sick!   Get well!!

Sorry, Fiz, I missed your post as well - hope you are better soon.

I used the joining method where you are using the two strands of wool, the old and new bits and this is where it looked wrong.  I did unpick stitch by stitch until I got to the knotty mess and just couldn't sort it out so did the dreaded taking off the needles.  My mother was an expert knitter, but unfortunately I don't follow in her footsteps. I've knotted one jumper with a cable which took me over 18 years, one matinee jacket and the aforementioned two scarves. 

Thanks for all the advice Anjuli, I actually count as I'm knitting, couldn't risk counting at the end of the row!   Once I'm sure it's all back on the needles correctly I will give it another go - I will finish it but after that I think I will stick to my cross stitch - have enough kits and patterns to keep me quiet.

edited to try and make sense!!

Eighteen Years!  You need to submit that to the Guiness world record people.  :)  :)

I made up a book of my drawings of all the different mistakes that one can made while knitting - quick little cartoonish vignetts in pictures.  It was very popular ..It got a lot of laughter. ...if pictures could be uploaded here I would put it in.  

• Like 1

Thanks Balleteacher I will look out for this......in case the strapping needs to go on longer than I am expecting it to.

On Wednesday (when I do quite a heavy....but lovely class) I saw the physio that day anyway and she strapped over these nylon slip on "socks" which worked okay in fact. I was just assuming I'd have to stock up on these things as thought I'd have to throw them away with the tape...but the next day when I removed the strapping it came off the sock things as well so am able to re-use!!!

I'm very much hoping that I will only have to strap for another couple of weeks because next week will be using the new insoles in my ballet shoes........which I have been wearing around the house for the past couple of weeks. I am going to be very interested to see how I actually get on with them in class. The ones I'm using in the ballet shoes are slimline "Foot medics"

Will they be in room 101 or 202!!

There are a couple of other similar type insoles I'd like to have a look at stocked by that wonderful chemist in Wimpole Street in London Bell and Croyden......definitely room 202!!!

• Like 1

Is Micropore tape the same as Zinc Oxide? I was going to suggest that LinMM but it looks as if you may have resolved the situation.

Not sure how to put this but am getting excessively cross with the premise of having to spend excessive amounts of money on a present. I received an email from Amazon advertising a Kindle as a Mothers Day present - reduced to £99!!! I thought it was just a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates - how can people afford this! I can understand for a birthday perhaps but I've noticed the same idea perpetuating Christmas - I think it's got quite out of hand. I've told both my girls I'm quite happy if they just clean the car or do something around the house. It's quite hard for my family as my birthday is always around Mothers Day. I was actually born on Mothers Day. They find it hard to get a birthday card as the shops reduce their selection of birthday cards at this time of year. Although I have the same problem with my husband has his birthday is close to Fathers Day. I shall start hunting for my husbands card next week to make sure there is a decent selection!

Edited by porthesia

I agree Porthesia that I think the "gift" for every occasion including ones you haven't heard of is getting totally out of hand!  When I was young we brought home a bunch of daffodils and a little printed card from Sunday School.  These days I get my Mum a bunch of flowers or a box of chocs.  We've never given Mother's Day cards.

• Like 1

It is well-nigh impossible to get 'age' cards for 14th, 15th and 17th birthdays too. They all seem to go all the way up to age 13, then you have 16, 18 and 21 but not the teenage ones in the middle.

And getting a card for somebody whose birthday is New Year's Day isn't all that easy either!