Room 101

taxi4ballet

That was a bargain, Alison.  Who did you see?  And I assume you were right up in the Gods for that price?

I usually book my tickets in advance, and have always accepted I will have to pay a booking fee. But to have to pay one for turning up at the box office in person?  I have never come across that anywhere else, never. And when I go again, I will tell them I have brought my own chair, portable heater, and Shewee and therefore will not be using any of the "facilities", so please remove the £7.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Federer vs. Gasquet and a couple of good doubles teams, as it happened.  (Could have done the same for Nadal vs. Ferrer two days earlier, but predicted correctly that that would be very one-sided, so didn't bother).  And yes, I was up in the nosebleed seats, but only row L as opposed to about row V for £20 last time, so it wasn't too bad (and the view is clear from everywhere, I think)

With apologies to Mike Oldfield - the guitar solo bit from "In Dulce Jubilo".

I've had to spend much of the weekend listening to it about 100 times as DH practices it for his upcoming Christmas Lights switch-on concert.

Sympathies to everyone else in the same boat who is also having to put up with hearing endless Christmas Carols etc as their beloved family member learns the stuff  ;)

• Like 2

Many years ago I was on a course in the Earls Court area of London.  The training room overlooked Earls Court where the Royal Tournament was on.  Every morning for at least an hour and Irish Pipe Band practised Mull of Kintyre and got it wrong every time, several times a morning.  We just had to go and see the show and they did get it right on the night!

Mull of Kintyre was never a favourite of mine but ever since then I run out of the room screaming if I hear it!

• Like 5

I was receptionist in a school and the music room was next door but one (just past the Headmaster's study).  I used to love listening to the orchestra and jazz band practising but I sometimes had to quietly sneak down and close the door as I couldn't hear the parents on the phone.  I think they thought I was not appreciative but I was as they were very good and Christmas was always amazing - miss it!

• Like 2

Post Office employees who decide to go on strike with no warning: just been down to the PO with a large package which needed to be with my client tomorrow, only to find it all locked up.  I was in there 2 days ago and didn't see anything up about strike action.

Result: major loss of time (which as we all know is money) and getting cold and damp for no reason :(

I would like to put in Room 101 people who dig up their front gardens and cover them entirely in concrete.

This is what the new owners of the house over the road have done.  It had a beautiful garden, and they haven't even left a tiny strip at the side for a couple of small plants. 

I HATE IT!!

• Like 3

With apologies to Mike Oldfield - the guitar solo bit from "In Dulce Jubilo".

I've had to spend much of the weekend listening to it about 100 times as DH practices it for his upcoming Christmas Lights switch-on concert.

I have been driving my other half mad since yesterday.

I just cannot stop singing this now! 

Ter rum ter rum ter rum ter rum  etc etc etc

• Like 1

I would like to put in Room 101 people who dig up their front gardens and cover them entirely in concrete.

This is what the new owners of the house over the road have done.  It had a beautiful garden, and they haven't even left a tiny strip at the side for a couple of small plants.

That's illegal now, surely.  You have to allow for suitable drainage.

Car parking in York!!

Finally found a place that hates cars more then Brighton!!

Extortionate!

They do have park and rides but the buses to them stop at 8pm!! Not good for that birthday meal!!

Sunday lunch seems the only option as parking is free on streets on Sundays from 8am to 1pm!

When I came to York in the summer had no car as was on train but not friendly towards cars at all

If Ive given Brighton 2/10 then York gets 1/10.......and 1/10 for not having a main bus station too!!

Leeds on the other hand where I was yesterday gets 8/10 by comparison.

Getting thrown out of the Little Chef next to the Travellodge .......only place can go for wifi at mo

So also Travelodges in room 101 for not having even 30 mins of free wifi!!!!

Self service checkouts in supermarkets. My niece thought it was hilarious last night when the machine kept telling me to put my item in the bagging area and I already had (it didn't weigh very much)and I was arguing with it! Then I noticed the button on the screen that gives you the option to say that you do not want to bag the item!

• Like 4

I HATE self service checkouts.  Our local Tesco has replaced masses of checkouts with these, and I object strongly.

They are ok, I suppose, if you only have a small basket, but they are much slower if people have huge trolleys. It is just a cost cutting exercise for the supermarkets.  :angry:

They will be expecting us to stack the shelves next. 

• Like 2

Well Janet at least you've had a go! I'm still avoiding them and getting away with it so far but not for much longer I fear!

You can't avoid it late evening.  All the manned tills were closed and we were directed to them.  It's definitely slower when you end up arguing with the blummin' thing if it keeps telling you to put something in the bagging area when you already have!

Our local Tescos has recently replaced about half the standard tills with these robotic monsters but all you tend to see is a few brave people and bigger queues at tills manned by human beings.

• Like 1

Well that's why I am getting worried as I can see the number of these self checkouts increasing by the day! So now they tend to outnumber the service tills!

I know I'll soon have to bite the bullet!!

The trouble is I need the shop to be practically empty for me to try out and it's always too busy and/or I'm in a hurry.

I don't want someone tutting behind me while I mess the whole thing up(though I wouldn't blame them really) They'll probably get off on one about older people like me getting past their sell by date!

• Like 1

I definitely don't see how it can be quicker for people with piled high trolleys as no doubt however good you may be at these self service things it will not be as fast as someone sitting and passing through at speed (super speed thinking of one particular lady at our local Tesco) because they are doing it all the time!!

Still I moaned about computers when they first became a daily occurrence so no doubt will get used to it.......when forced to!

I don't get on with the self service checkouts either but I have to say that the Morrison ones are the worst.  They start telling you to take your bags and go before the receipt and change have even come out of the machine and it is a verbal instruction.  The screen is already ready for the next customer and you can see people wondering why you are so slow when it loudly repeats the instruction.  But I do want to put my change away before I pick up my shopping bags!!

On a more positive note, our local Tesco have introduced hand held scanners (or put in holders on the trolley handle) and these are very easy to use.  You scan and pack into your bag as you shop.  At the end you go through special checkouts where you simply scan that you have finished and pay - far faster than normal shopping.  Every now and again you are stopped for a random check but even then it is only a number of items that are scanned by staff, rather than having to unload your whole trolley as used to be the case with Safeways and their green boxes years ago.

Actually completely off topic is there a sort of opposite to Room 101......I don't know....could be another room no which is to show that you really like something or found it funny etc without starting a new thread every time!

It's just that today in Bruce's dance links he has organised it into two threads which made me laugh

The Bolshoi corner.......news from Russia etc but mainly Bolshoi

And

The Less Mad Corner ........all,the other dance news/reviews etc!!

• Like 3