Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HaHa Janet, we must meet because I think my friends would probably describe me the same way

Anjuli_Bai I might just use that if I get asked, wouldn't have thought of that reply

Thanks for the good wishes Taxi.  I must admit I applied for this particular job on line and I can't find the advert so I'm not even sure what it entails - not a good start!  Of course the other job with the horrendous application form is better paid and more interesting but I bet I don't get an interview for that one as I really want it.

I have also realised why the Post Office don't publish last posting dates earlier - I took the card to the post office today and it was £1.28 Air Mail.  Now I seem to remember I risked it last year and sent it Surface Mail and it cost in the region of £0.68.  Never mind my cousin in Canada is worth the extra to make sure it's there in time.  Unfortunately still haven't bought the presents for Australia so that is going to hurt the pocket

• Like 2

Trolls.....of the Internet variety!!

Am still not 100 per cent sure of who they are or rather what they do but I seemed to have got well and truly caught out by one on this Not Dance thread. Not sure if I really know the trolls from the Trojan Horses!! :(

I should have noticed that this person only posted in Not Dance or rather on that thread first as its unusual for someone posting on a ballet forum to not have posted SOMETHING about BALLET somewhere first!!

I did think the poster was going on in a long post in a somewhat intense way a bit but Ive not been unknown to do that on occasions!!!

Anyway over with now.

• Like 2

Er - someone want to tell me where Oop North you can get a house for that money?  I am tired of my one bedroomed flat....

Well, various parts of Metropolitan(ish) Yorkshire, for a start.  Or Broadstairs, if you don't want to move north.  Trouble is, it costs a lot to get to the ROH :)

Well, various parts of Metropolitan(ish) Yorkshire, for a start.  Or Broadstairs, if you don't want to move north.  Trouble is, it costs a lot to get to the ROH :)

But you don't have to get to ROH from Up North when you have easy access to BRB, NB and SB as well as Ballet Cymru and BTUK!!

• Like 2

Hope it's not too painful Spanner......yes things often play up teeth or otherwise when you can't get to dentist doctor etc!

This reminds me of one of my crowns falling out a couple of years ago on Christmas Eve!! Also seemingly when eating something harmless......a very soft bread sandwich from a garage!

It wasn't painful luckily as the nerve was dead but I had to be careful when laughing when gap fully exposed!!

• Like 1

It's one that was mostly filling and has been root canalled (wish I'd looked after my teeth better in my youth) but it's catching on the inside of my mouth. I just hope I can see a dentist tomorrow as I hate having a broken tooth; it really makes me cringe. :-/

They are often quite good with appointments if its an emergency so hopefully you'll be okay.

At my dentist in Lewes otherwise you could be months getting one.....eg if you can't make one you booked a year ago for a check up you may have to wait three months to get another and the hygienist is even worse to get appointments with.

• Like 1

But you don't have to get to ROH from Up North when you have easy access to BRB, NB and SB as well as Ballet Cymru and BTUK!!

Thanks Janet, I think I might move!!!!

I recently took advantage of a 50p return train ticket to Birmingham and (whispers quietly) really enjoyed it.  Loved the new library, it looked just like a Christmas present all wrapped up.  Although having said that, does Birmingham really count as Up North?  Or is it not far enough away from London?

And now, apologies in advance to anyone who is not a Southerner, but I do hate it when people judge me by my accent.  Yes, I was born in Surrey.  No, I did NOT go to public school, or any other fee paying school, and my parents were not wealthy. 

Edited by Fonteyn22
  • Like 2

Thanks Janet, I think I might move!!!!

I recently took advantage of a 50p return train ticket to Birmingham and (whispers quietly) really enjoyed it.  Loved the new library, it looked just like a Christmas present all wrapped up.  Although having said that, does Birmingham really count as Up North?  Or is it not far enough away from London?

And now, apologies in advance to anyone who is not a Southerner, but I do hate it when people judge me by my accent.  Yes, I was born in Surrey.  No, I did NOT go to public school, or any other fee paying school, and my parents were not wealthy. 

According to some people the North starts on the North side of Oxford Street!

When you come out of London on the M1 there is a signpost that says "The North".  I would say that The North stars there and Birmingham, therefore, qualifies!

• Like 2

A few years back it used to be considered (by us wayward southerners) anything north of Watford was "up north" I'm not sure but think it referred to the Watford services on the M.1.

For me I think it starts somewhere around Sheffield!! (Although on map of UK even Sheffield only looks in the middle) It has tobe higher up than Birmingham I'm afraid!!!

I sympathise Fonteyn22 as I lived most of my young life in Surrey from 3-21 so have a southern accent which definitely isn't posh! I probably don't speak as well as when younger though with mum breathing down my neck......Wanting me to sound posher....Ive got lazier in my older age!

The house prices in the South are quite ridiculous and you definitely get more for your money "up north"

My friends who stayed on in Liverpool much longer than I did had to move to Cambridge eventually and got a big shock when trying to find equivalent to their nice house in Wallasey! That was 20 years ago .....but now Cambridge is even more expensive.

Not much point in even talking about Surrey!!

I was lucky here just outside Brighton.....property was reasonable until about 2002 when it suddenly shot up. I bought a few years before this and if I hadn't made the move out of London then could not have afforded to by 2002.........would definitely have had to go either up north or out west to get value for money.

• Like 1

Can I add the hour change in the winter. It's so dark now

But we now have an extra hour of daylight in the morning, can never understand the logic of people who complain when the clocks go back.

But we now have an extra hour of daylight in the morning, can never understand the logic of people who complain when the clocks go back.

Unfortunately, I get up too early for that to make any difference at all, it is pitch black when I go to work.

Talking of light, I hate people who keep the blinds shut in the office ALL DAY.  It is like working in an underground bunker.  

I can understand making the adjustment in the afternoon, when the sun comes round and shines on our screens, but please do not have a go at me for opening them in the morning!!!!!

Otherwise, we might just as well take out all the windows and save on window cleaning. 

I was born not far from Birmingham, I used to get called a southerner by people further north and a northerner by people further south!!  Birmingham is very underrated, has some beautiful architecture - haven't been back for a while - now getting homesick.

I am very happy to say that I don't have a Brummie accent, unless I've had a tipple ;)  - quite pleased as I don't think it is a very endearing accent - sorry

It's very catching though a bit like the Liverpool one is too or the Yorkshire one for that matter in that when you are around it for long enough you can't help wanting to imitate it!! The only accent I don't like is the cockney one or south London as well!! Probably because its closer to home.

I'm from near Sheffield in Yorkshire and have always been called northern and certainly my accent, although not strong after years of living in the Midlands, is still northern - short 'a' in bath and not long 'a' etc .  When I first met my future husbands family in East Anglia one person declared that I didn't sound nearly as 'common' as she thought I would coming from Yorkshire!!  Birmingham for me is definitely Midlands.

• Like 1

What happens when you chip a tooth....do they have to cap it eventually or just make it less dangerous if its further back in the mouth.

Must have been a relief to get your own dentist though! And FREE....that is a big plus!!

I had a fear of dentists for years because of something that happened (medically) as a child so did have some years when didn't go.....not a good idea.....as I'm sure I lost one of my teeth unnecessarily for this reason.....but have always been extra fussy about dentists.

I really trust my one in Lewes even though its slightly further to travel (but easier to park).

I did have a good one in London who eventually retired......so that meant another gap till I moved here!

It depends on the nature of the chip or break what course of action may be recommended.

My mouth is full of large fillings.  Some years ago I asked my previous dentist if it was because my teeth were not very good.  We had been at school together when younger (we didn't remember each other but our Mums did!) so of an age.  He said to me that his mouth was the same.  When we were young the practise was that no matter how small the cavity most of the tooth would be drilled out and filled.  Now the minimum is taken out.

Neville moved away and I now go to a lady called Carol who is equally brilliant a dentist (IMHO).

• Like 1

I think this tooth will have to be crowned eventually - if and when I can afford it, that is! It's a couple of hundred quid even on the NHS. :-(

Lin, yes, Janet is correct; the dentist's course of action depends on where the tooth is and how badly it is broken. I thought the break would be difficult to repair but it obviously looked and felt more alarming than it really was. :-)

• Like 2

To be honest I can't really eat toffees any more even though I love them.

Ive only got two crowns but at over £200 each rather costly to lose!!

The crown that came out in the upper jaw now has a post in whatever that really is!! But hopefully will keep it in for longer(lasted 5yrs first time)

However the one in the bottom jaw which I was more upset about as there was nothing essentially wrong with the tooth just had a crack in it has lasted for 10 yrs already!

I would definitely put having route canal work and a crown in room 101 as although its better than losing a tooth just takes forever!!

• Like 1