Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Portesia how awful for her.

But I think sometimes if the stones are not too big they can use Ultrasound to disperse them as opposed to surgery so hopefully they can go this route.

It's extremely painful passing a gallstone or kidney stone for that matter hope she feels better soon

Linda x

I don't want to put but hurl into Room 101 cancer! A dear American email friend of very longstanding has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. She doesn't smoke but has always lived among smokers. I am really upset for her. She is younger than me and is a truly lovely person. It is so unfair. Please pray for Becky.

Another vote for cancer in room 101.  One friend lost her husband to it on Boxing Day and another poor friend her sister and her Dad both in the space of 3 months.  I hope Becky is one of the survivors and wish her all the best for her fight ahead.  And Porthesia I hope your DD recovers quickly.  Hopefully there will be no need for an op.

Thank you, Jan and 2dancersmum. My eldest reminded me that they are American and cancer is a very expensive disease to treat. :( Thank God for the NHS but for how much longer will it exist? The dental profession never accepted the NHS and it costs a bomb for treatment even if you don't pay all the costs. At worst, it leads to the shoddy and abysmal service I had on Monday by people who have learned to rip off the system. Grr

• Like 1

I agree with cancer in room 101 too.

It's strange though Ive lost two friends with Bowel cancer.....a very close friend last summer....and my mum to lung cancer. My mum was a smoker and smoked from 15 onwards and even though had given up for six years when she died the damage had obviously already been done.

However my friend who died recently had a good diet plenty of fruit etc and only rarely drank alcohol as she didn't like the taste of it so very strange her getting this bowel cancer. I would say her lack of exercise was her only bit of not being as healthy as she could but even so she was not over weight or anything within the normal range so I can only think was some gene thing.

Days like today when the gods are just jesting with me.  Non dd has interview for promotion (even though she's now gone yellow). Car won't start, flat battery. Can't jump start - even though we push car around so neighbour can try and jump start it.  Call taxi to get non dd to interview.  Call AA.  AA pronounce no resurrecting battery.  Dealership have battery.  Drive 30 mins get new battery.  Get told (again) by dealership I need a new car.  I know this but can't afford one.  Need new tyres on car.  Get home, go out to Tescos as nothing in for non dd now she's on restricted diet.  Come back.  Cat has hole in her shoulder pouring muck.  Take cat to vets - abscess from fighting with other cats, two lots of antibiotics and wound flushed out.  Fortunately didn't have to pay for her expensive cat food as they had a nice scheme whereas after you've bought so many bags, you get one free.  Come home.  Non dd back from doctors appt.  Not admitting her to hospital but still she's a worry as she is going yellow.  She has blood test tomorrow.  DD phones up to say parcel I sent and paid a lot of money to send not arrived.  I normally don't get parcels signed for but guy at Post Office asked me what was in parcel and this had tickets for the show she should have been in had she not broken foot so he suggested we get it signed for (theatre just bunged tickets in post!!)  Royal Mail tried to deliver on Saturday and say they've left card (yeah heard that one before). Cat is being a pain as I won't let her out.  Oh and the builder ripping out en suite cut himself so I had to patch him up as well.

I want a bath (not there it's been ripped out) and I don't find the family bathroom relaxing - I like my en suite!  I bought a sandwich for my lunch as today had been a mess and it is 21 syns, Allowed between 5 and 15 syns a day on diet, wish I'd waited and spent syns on alcohol, could have had 2 glasses of wine and syns left over!  

Sorry for the rant, I feel a bit better now, although I'm over £200.00 out of pocket with everything.  Oh and the cat has to go back for more antibiotics on Friday! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Oh dear porthesia, sending you a virtual hug! On the plus side, you did make someone smile today... Me, I now don't feel I have any right to moan about my woes, which seem to have faded into insignificance by comparison. I love the bit about saving your syns for alcohol! I too am doing my best to be good and save a few calories so not drinking at the mo but feeling rather tempted tonight!

Edited by along for the ride mum

well I hope after reading that that you've had your weeks quota of bad luck now and that the rest of your week will bring good news - like your DD getting treated, getting better and getting her promotion, the parcel being found and your new ensuite being lovely.  Oh and I imagine stress burnt off those extra syns that day !

• Like 1

Oh dear Porthesia.  Sounds like the day from hell.  Poor you.  I must say the doctors seem remarkly laid back, given her symptoms. 

Here, have a huge bouquet of virtual flowers.    And maybe today is the day to  say, "B****r the diet"

Well sounds like it can only get better! It does seem sometimes that the whole universe is against us when all these things go wrong.

Nothing as bad as yours but I drive over to Patcham for class (at least I had the car and it wasn't a bus it night) and it had been cancelled. When I got home there were all these messages on the phone informing me as such but my phone was in another bag so hadn't checked it today!

I must look and see if Mercury has just gone retrograde that could be the answer!

Linda x

Well non dd got the promotion and the parcel has arrived.  Nothing happened on the en suite today, which was a bit of a relief as the builder leaves the front door open and it's been getting a bit cold - he seems to suffer from the heat as he is constantly saying how hot he is!  The cat's meow returned, but seems to have gone again!  I'm off to weigh in shortly so will see what the damage is!

Thanks for all the good wishes, virtual hugs and virtual flowers, I feel rather spoilt now.  I know I moaned but I did find it quite amusing that so much happened in one day, it didn't seem possible that so much could happen in such a short time! :)

• Like 6

Sorry for the rant, I feel a bit better now, although I'm over £200.00 out of pocket with everything.  Oh and the cat has to go back for more antibiotics on Friday! :rolleyes:

Oh dear, so sorry to hear all this.  Reminds me ever so slightly of way back when when I was trying to budget so, instead of just coming back from the ROH to whichever station and getting a cab in the evening as I usually did I decided to drive the car down to a given station and park it there.  Got back to find it had been broken into, and so, instead of saving maybe £2.50 on the cab fare I ended up shelling ou £100-odd to get the bodywork damage repaired :(

Sometimes you just can't win.

Alison that is awful having your car broken into.  I sincerely hope it wasn't late at night because that is really nasty enough in daylight let alone in the dark.

It was late enough at night when I got back to the station car park, certainly.  Never mind, it was years ago.

Builders!  Why do they keep leaving my front door open?  It's bloomin' freezing so I turned the heating on and he moaned he was too hot, well don't leave my door open then.  Also the completely out of tune and off key singing ..... at the top of his voice!  Only a few more days, I can make it.

• Like 1

Also the completely out of tune and off key singing ..... at the top of his voice!  Only a few more days, I can make it.

My downstairs neighbour used to do that, so I feel your pain :).  At least I wasn't blessed(?) with perfect pitch like my mum - she'd really have struggled.  My new neighbour is in a band, so sings rather more in tune :)

And my latest consignee to Room 101 is ...

The TV licensing authorities!  I need to pay my licence by the end of the month, and the website's been down for days!  "Renew online and save us money," they say.  Well, I'd like to if they'd only give me the opportunity.

Car tax online is just as bad - a few years ago my disc took so long to arrive the older one had expired by 2 days and I could not use my car - despite the fact that I had applied well in advance and it was a computer problem at their end that caused the delay.

I never had any problems renewing online and found it very convenient.  Unfortunately I can't do that any longer because Chunkydog likes the post too much!

I find it irritating that you can't put it in the car until the "start date".  Last year I was driving around for a week after I should have put it in because I just plain forgot!

I am wondering how things will work when everything is just done by computer and we don't have to physically display the disc.  I can see huge advantages to this but when we recently thought a car had been abandoned outside our house the first thing I was asked when I rang firstly the police and secondly the council was if the car had a valid tax disc.  Sadly it did and we were stuck with the damn thing until the owner came to collect it 2 and a half weeks later!

And my latest consignee to Room 101 is ...

The TV licensing authorities!  I need to pay my licence by the end of the month, and the website's been down for days!  "Renew online and save us money," they say.  Well, I'd like to if they'd only give me the opportunity.

At least 5 days now.  This is truly abysmal.

This Room 101 posting is in memory of a particular mockingbird which made its home in my garden.

We came home yesterday afternoon to find the front yard covered in small fragments of feathers and down.  The black and white pattern of the larger feathers identified it as having belonged to a mockingbird.  Being quite territorial - it had to be "our" mockingbird.  

At the top of a large tree across the street several dozen crows were wheeling through the air, screaming their anger and taking turns diving at a solitary figure - a hawk - sitting on a branch finishing off its fresh caught lunch.   Later that day, I saw a lonely mockingbird - the mate - hopping about in a tree closeby.  I hope it soon flew off.

For the last two years the usual active bird life in this area - and my garden in particular (there are a number of large trees) has vanished.  We put out a bowl of water and birds do come and drink and bathe - but hurridly.  They don't stay.  No more doves building nests, no more mockingbirds trilling through the night, the black headed phoebe is gone, haven't seen the parrots. Only the hummingbird is a regular visittor.

I had guessed that a hawk must have taken up residence in one of the large trees.  One mockingbird made a mistake and the hawk dined well.

Life isn't easy for the animals either.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 1