Room 101

taxi4ballet

Regarding the cars, I think it's a bit of both. The emission controls do make a difference, but US cars were getting laughable gas mileage decades ago before emission controls became mandatory. In those days, it really was (as Fonty said) because they were much bigger and heavier than the European and British alternatives. I think also it has to do with the way the engines are tuned - being set for optimal performance can result in less efficiency (so I'm told anyway - engineering is a closed book to me). I didn't think that would make a lot of difference until we stopped taking our cars to the dealer for servicing and found that the mileage dropped by 3 to 5 mpg after the first service by the independent guy. My husband took his to another garage for servicing next time, in case the first one had just been incompetent, and the same thing happened. They told him that only the dealers are given the specifications to set the system for maximum efficiency and everyone else has to use guesswork. Since this has now happened with two independent garages and our local Honda dealer (which apparently has the specifications for Honda cars but not Acura ones), I'm inclined to believe it.

Another problem with some of these environmental requirements, as you suspected, Fonty, is that manufacturers get to the lawmakers and have all sorts of things written into the laws that benefit them at the expense of the consumer. I remember when we had to change our central-heating thermostat in California, and the new one was pre-set with all sorts of "energy-saving" settings that were a real devil to override, and the guy who installed it said, "yes everyone is complaining, but this is what the manufacturer wanted..."

But that sort of thing is at least partly a function of a system where the election process is so expensive that lawmakers can easily be held hostage by large donors. Which is getting into the realms of politics so probably not a topic for discussion here.

Regarding things being different in different states, it's even more weird than you'd think. Not only are things different when they appear to be different, but they're sometimes different even when they don't. When we moved here and tried to change the address on our bank account and get our homeowner and auto insurance from the same insurance companies, we were told, oh you can't do that, I know it's the same name but it's actually different companies, you'll need to start over with a brand-new bank account, and the insurance companies might have the same name on the east coast as the west coast but none of the good-customer discounts from California apply because it's a different company out east. I swear the US states are more different than some of the EU member nations.

Edited by Melody

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer your question about insurance companies not working across state lines - but the answer is political and I don't want to go there.

Yes, I grew up with the humidity of many Philadelphia summers.  Even when we do get some humidity here -it's nothing like on the East Coast.  Philadelphia sits on two rivers which doesn't help.  Hence - we moved here as soon as my husband got his degree.

I would never live where there is a home owners association - that would drive me nutty.  When my wash was hung in the back no one could see it as we have a high fence around the property.

I do remember hanging wash in Philly - as the oldest child that was my chore.  In the winter we hung it in the basement because if it freezes it cracks the cloth.  In the summer - it was a real torment.  There were no disposable diapers at that time - only cloth.

I especially remember one day when some boy teens decided as a prank to cut the lines full of drying diapers.  My mother had boiled them (that's what they did back then), and then wrung them out by hand - and I carried them up and down two flights of stairs (I was 8 yrs old).  The two of us just burst into tears at the sight of them lying on the ground - dirty and unuseable.  

This is beginning to sound like a Charles Dickens novella.....  :)

Think of all the disposable diapers that now are part of our trash.

No, I don't want to think about that.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai

Can I add inconsiderate neighbours to room 101 before I lose the plot with mine. It is possible when living in flats to shut communal doors rather than slam them and to keep your dog inside your property so it does not run out barking at anyone who opens the front door. It is also polite to fix water pipes which start vibrating at 7am in the morning because there has been something wrong with them for over 7 months. Sorry to rant but some people are so inconsiderate. I don't get it...

• Like 4

I'd like to add hairdressers. Ones who take off half the amount you ask them to & then when you ask them to take a little more off, take twice what you originally asked of them whilst leaving straggly bits which are noticeable in the extreme when you have straight hair!!! Currently hiding beneath a hood. :(

Fortunately my usual hairdresser is lovely & will be back from maternity leave in 3 months.

Can I add inconsiderate neighbours to room 101 before I lose the plot with mine. It is possible when living in flats to shut communal doors rather than slam them and to keep your dog inside your property so it does not run out barking at anyone who opens the front door. It is also polite to fix water pipes which start vibrating at 7am in the morning because there has been something wrong with them for over 7 months.

I can unfortunately agree on a personal level with 2 of those :(

Sadly, in our case, I think the piping downstairs has been encased so far that it's virtually impossible to get at it to fix the pipes in the first place.

I'd like to add hairdressers. Ones who take off half the amount you ask them to & then when you ask them to take a little more off, take twice what you originally asked of them whilst leaving straggly bits which are noticeable in the extreme when you have straight hair!!! Currently hiding beneath a hood. :(

Fortunately my usual hairdresser is lovely & will be back from maternity leave in 3 months.

And, if your hair is of that sort of age, beware of "silver shampoo"!  I *thought* my hair had been looking unusually grey in recent months, but assumed that maybe it was just getting to that stage. No.  It turns out that my (much younger) replacement hairdresser - my normal one (who's about the same age as me and therefore more sensitive to such things) not being available at present - has used it on me the last few times she's done my hair.  I found the stuff in the chemists, and it's actually a colourant and *designed* to leach all the colour from your hair and produce an overall greyness.  Yuck.  I'm desperately trying to counteract it every time I wash it now :(

Actually, adding to the list: the designers of toilet-seat fixings.  They are such a horrendous design, especially when you're trying to work in the sort of confined space that most toilets are located in.  Those threaded rods that you screw into the receptacles barely screw in at all, and I swear they get unscrewed again when you're putting the wingnuts on :(

(Yes, 3 attempts in the last 24 hours, in case you hadn't guessed)

• Like 3

Large 24-hour supermarkets where you go late evening (2200) only to discover you can't buy some of the items you want because those departments are not 24-hr!

Self-service tills in supermarkets.  I prefer to be served by human beings!

• Like 2

Being woken up by major weather. We just had something like 5 inches of rain here this morning and it sounded like being stuck under a waterfall. Apparently just north of here people were having to abandon cars and run for high ground when the flash floods started.

Heavy thundershowers forecast for this afternoon. Lovely.

Edited by Melody

Well, now we're under a tornado watch.

It always amuses me when Americans go on about the awful weather in Britain. It may be dampish, but it usually isn't lethal.

This is the Wild West (which starts on the East Coast) and we tend to do things in a Big Way.   Why bother with a little wind storm - 

Being woken up by major weather. We just had something like 5 inches of rain here this morning and it sounded like being stuck under a waterfall.

My old flat used to have an aluminium roof.  You can imagine what *that* sounded like in the middle of heavy rain - heavier than a waterfall, I'd guess :(.  Yet surprisingly I quickly learned to sleep through it, and the noise problem was reduced when I had the insulation in the loft done.

Have just come back to this thread today and realised that Melody wasn't on a "tomato" watch but a "tornado" watch!!

I didn't have my "3" glasses on yesterday (misplaced yet again) so was trying to read with "2.5" on.

Somehow although I found it a bit strange at first I linked it with the rain and thought it might be something to do with tomato blight!!

Had no idea whether you are in a big tomato growing area Melody!

On re reading today obviously not .......but it always amazes me how one tries to make sense of things when getting the wrong end of the stick ;)

• Like 1

A tomato watch - now that would be interesting! Sort of like a vegetarian version of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. :D

Unfortunately around here tomatoes are a bit rare because deer are very common. We used to grow all sorts of fruit and vegetables in California but having an edible garden here is a waste of time without building all sorts of high barricades. Agriculturally this isn't a major centre for growing tomatoes, the main crop tends to be maize and I've also seen fields of what looks like wheat, and soybean seems to be taking hold. Pretty boring really compared with all the lovely vineyards and citrus groves back in California.

Tornadoes are also mercifully rare but they do happen, so when a tornado watch turns into a tornado warning, we obediently troop down to the basement and hope for the best. This is mostly hurricane country, not tornado country, not that that's much consolation. Back in California we lived in earthquake country (the San Andreas fault is very close to the urban centres in the San Francisco Bay Area, plus there's the Hayward fault in the East Bay, which apparently every major hospital in the East Bay is built on top of). Not sure which I dislike the most, having lived through both earthquakes and hurricanes.

But - on the plus side - just severe thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon, no tornadoes today. DH is getting very grouchy on account of not being able to play golf.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Well I do have blight on the mind at the moment as our allotment has just discovered we have "late potato blight" early this year.

There is an "early potato blight" but I can't get my head around the nuances of late blight coming early or early blight coming late ;)

I can't imagine having lived through an earthquake and a hurricane!!

We are pretty lucky here in UK really not having too many weather extremes on the whole.......well so far anyway.....but we're always getting dire warnings about the future!

Speaking of weather - just been helpfully told that the forecast high temperature for today is 87 degrees and that the current temperature is 89. Whole new definition of the word "high."

In the meantime, my husband just got home and said that the outside-temperature thermometer in the car was registering 98 at one point. Fortunately we live near a golf course, which cools things down a couple of degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, living in the centre of the universe has the slight downside that most of seem to have sinus problems of one sort or another.  I think it's because Liverpool is low-lying and the air can be damp.

The late, great Victor Spinetti once described the Liverpool accent as Irish with catarrh!

• Like 3

i-tunes.

I cannot cope with this extremely user-unfriendly software at all!!!

Nor can I.  Remember when the ROH put lots of their insignt videos online on the iTunes University?  It jused to drive me crazy trying to get it to download onto my computer.  Some things I've downloaded several times and they've still never "stuck".

2 X is driving me mad at the moment. What's wrong with "twice" or "double", that's what I want to know?

There seems to be a rash of television and radio adverts at the moment all extolling the virtues of their products, for instance: "2 X bigger/stronger/cheaper" etc. Unfortunately the voiceover will say "Two-times stronger" or "Two-times bigger" 

Honestly, it's like listening to toddlers - what are the advertising companies thinking of?

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

I've never thought about that before taxi!

In work, as a sort of shorthand, I often used to type x2, x3 etc but only as a shorthand for the word double, triple etc.

Sorry for promulgating this horrible habit in my ex-working life!