Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roundabouts!

Going on a trip tomorrow, so I had a look at Google Maps for directions. (Don't have satnav, don't like them, prefer maps). found everything fine, and was looking down the list of directions.

I have to follow the A421 for 25 miles... through 23, yes 23 roundabouts in only 25 miles!!!!

Yeugh :wacko:

Roundabouts!

Going on a trip tomorrow, so I had a look at Google Maps for directions. (Don't have satnav, don't like them, prefer maps). found everything fine, and was looking down the list of directions.

I have to follow the A421 for 25 miles... through 23, yes 23 roundabouts in only 25 miles!!!!

Yeugh :wacko:

I remember the first time a couple of friends and I drove to High Wycombe, working out directions from a map.  We came to a roundabout that was surrounded by a number of mini roundabouts.  I think we went round about 3 times before my friend worked out how to exit!  We must have done at least 23 roundabouts in a couple of hundred yards!  Does anyone else know this roundabout system?

Our hotel told us an alternative way home, avoiding said roundabout system!

• Like 1

taxi soon as I saw the road number I knew what you were going to say!!  People who live around MK and the A421 always wear their tyres differently because of all the roundabouts (or islands as I call them as I come from Brum!)

Janet, I was going to say that was called the Magic Roundabout - but that's In Hemel Hempstead. I used to travel miles to take DD to ballet in St Albans from Aylesbury rather than go anywhere near that abomination.  Not sure what the one in High Wycombe is called

• Like 2

It's anybody's nightmare!!

Mind you .... there is a roundabout on the approach into Tescos - left for fuel and right for shop.  Recently I have noticed people coming out of the petrol station and completely ignoring the roundabout!  I had the fright of my life a couple of weeks ago when a car just cut in front of me as I was coming off the roundabout.

I have a memory of a roundabout......

After a flight of over 18 hrs. we landed in the late afternoon in Aukland, New Zealand - where everything was "upside down" - the day, the season of the year and our brains.

A representative of a car rental agency was waiting for us.  After a quick drop off of our luggage at the hotel, we were driven to the agency to pick up our rented car.  

Fortunately, they had an automatic gear shift but it included a strange thingie called a "choke."  And, the steering wheel was on the "wrong" side. But I paid it little mind - driving was my husband's responsibility (I was happy to retreat into my housewife "let him worry about it" mode).  The heck with gender equality.

The representative carefully explained that it was now the busiest traffic time of the week - very heavy home going commute and everyone in a hurry to get home from work - or to the nearest bar.  She also explained the route back to the hotel.  

All seemed to be well  - my husband was absorbing all this information and then as he was handed the rental agreement to sign he casually remarked that he had left his driver's license back at the hotel.   Our 9 yrs old son of course had no license.  That left me as the only licensed driver.

The representative was very kind and patient as she went through all this information again for me.  When she came to the "choke" thingie - apparently taking in the look on my face, she kindly gave me a hug and said:  "It'll be ok."   Easy for her to say.

So - there I was after flying over 18 hrs, sitting on the "wrong" side of the car, with a choke thingie, an "extra" pedal on the floor,  driving in Friday evening commuter traffic on the other side of the world - when we came to something called a "roundabout" with cars flying in circles - all going the "wrong" way.  We don't have roundabouts where I live - and we certainly don't go the "wrong" way.  And I don't do "chokes."

I aged 10 years in that one drive. 

• Like 7

Had a problem a few days ago where the internet stopped working so I was trying to navigate the automated reply feature at the provider's phone number. It's so much fun, when you're sitting on hold because you have no internet access, to be told by this electronic voice that it'd be so much quicker and easier to just go to Comcast.com and get my problem fixed that way. Which is all well and good if my problem didn't happen to be NO INTERNET ACCESS...(and by this time I was already onto the press-1-if-you-can't-access-your-internet part of the menu)  :angry:

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

On the  subject of the internet - INTERNET BANKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep trying to access my account on line.  Process goes as follows:

1.  Try to log in.  Am told log in details are wrong, account locked.

2.  Go to local branch, with passport, utility bills,  etc etc

3.  Queue up patiently until counter staff check details, remove lock on account.

4.  Log in at branch, change password to something I will remember.

Following day, see step 1.

This has been going on for months with at least 3 different building societies.  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Transport for London's brand spanking new - and, it seems, totally useless - website.  I've already had quite enough problems trying to find information on it, but as you may well have been aware there's been a Tube strike on in London for the last couple of days.  So there's a big notice up on the website saying "Check status updates".  So you do.  All it says is "XXX line: trains running between A and B, and between C and D", that sort of thing.  No nice easy map which would give you visually a much better idea as to what coverage there is (they've got rid of the weekend engineering works map, too, for some reason), no indication of frequency (I tried to get onto the Central Line last night because, contrary to what I'd read elsewhere - which was why I was trying the TfL website in the first place, for valid information - there were trains running across central London: only they didn't mention that the frequency was only every 15 minutes), ... 

Add to that their supposedly real-time Journey Planner: I put in the route I'd normally take, and it claimed it would take about 10 minutes, trains every few minutes and so on.  Ha ha.  Because this was obviously totally divorced from reality, I then put in another route, from a station which I knew to be closed, and on a line where there were no trains running.  Yes, everything was fine and hunkydory: the journey would take 5 minutes, trains every few minutes!  I ask you, what are you supposed to do.

#epicfail

Appalling.

/rant

• Like 2

How irritating, Alison.

The tfl journey planner always comes up with some very strange routes anyway, but it seems shocking that they can't even say "line not open".  I tried to check a journey the day before, where they were showing which lines were closed and which had a restricted number of stations open, but the link wouldn't open.  Probably so many people trying to access it, it had crashed.

Edited by Fonty

On a similar subject I hate being sold an expensive return ticket only to discover that there are no trains actually running on the day I'd booked to return, only an excruciatingly slow bus replacement service.  I feel they take money under false pretences..

Where did you book your ticket, MAB?  Did you do it online, because I thought they always indicated if there is to be a replacement bus service for any part of the journey you have booked?

Edited to add, could someone please get rid of my earworm?  For some unknown reason I have got the song Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport running through my head.  :angry:

Edited by Fonty

The tfl journey planner always comes up with some very strange routes anyway, but it seems shocking that they can't even say "line not open".  I tried to check a journey the day before, where they were showing which lines were closed and which had a restricted number of stations open, but the link wouldn't open.  Probably so many people trying to access it, it had crashed.

Interestingly enough, I note that if you Google for the TFL journey-checker you can get the old version, still, and it does still work (although I didn't try it out on a tube-strike date). It's just the wonderful (not) new website which is absolute garbage. The old one introduced me to a very interesting way of getting from home to Wimbledon since I've no trains to Croydon this weekend (I was going to take Croydon Tramlink until I realised I couldn't get into Croydon in the first place to do so!)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a problem a few days ago where the internet stopped working so I was trying to navigate the automated reply feature at the provider's phone number. It's so much fun, when you're sitting on hold because you have no internet access, to be told by this electronic voice that it'd be so much quicker and easier to just go to Comcast.com and get my problem fixed that way. Which is all well and good if my problem didn't happen to be NO INTERNET ACCESS...(and by this time I was already onto the press-1-if-you-can't-access-your-internet part of the menu)  :angry:

Ah, I hate that, too! 

Then there are another one.  When I rang to check internet connection (which were dodgy), first thing I was told to upgrade to optical fiber-line.  Well, I happened to know that it was not yet available in my street.  Beside, I called so that my problem is fixed, not to be sold another products (which isn't even available). :angry:

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 4

Oh mimi that reminds me of a horrendous train journey I had years ago. Apart from the delay, there was no heating and it was bitterly cold. I had a hot drink to try and get warm and then needed the ladies. There was not a single working toilet on the full length of the intercity train! When I filled in the complaint form the answer I got apologised for the state of the train but said that all would be well IN 2 YEARS when the pendolinos were to be introduced!

To this day I very rarely have a drink on a long train journey, no matter how thirsty I feel, just in case.

• Like 4

Oh dear for today at any rates cats!! Or cats and their hunting instincts.

There has been take up in one of our boxes by a pair of starlings. For about a week now the chicks have been very noisy on their parents arrival at the box and today it was quieter.

Aha my partner calls me about half an hour ago there are at least three babies fledged in the garden. We were both watching the babies when there was a flash of black and white and a cat grabbed one of them and ran.

We ran out shouting at the cat hoping he might drop it but he was over the fence and into the next garden before we could get close enough.

I hope it died fairly quickly as sometimes they just play with them because they are not really hungry it is just instinct that has taken over.

In the past it would have just been part of the natural order of things but today cats are mostly well fed so don't need birds as food which is why it annoys me so much even though I love cats.

Those poor starlings they've been working so hard the last few weeks .......I can see I shall be having a bit of a neurotic time in the garden over the next week as all the local.nests start fledging!!

Swanprincess, if you didn't feel nervous and stressed that woud be more worrying! Exam nerves, self-doubt and that awful stomach-sinking-to-your-toes feeling are all entirely normal; that doesn't mean they are enjoyable for you but breathe deeply, go over your lines a few times, visualize performing it brilliantly and get some sleep. I - and I'm sure everyone else on the forum - will be holding thumbs for you tomorrow!

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 5

Recent waves of senior moments.... I am mixing up younger generation ballet dancers...

First, I mixed up Polina Semionova with Svetlana Zakharova... I must just be looking at their upper body area...

Then I mixed up Akane Takada with Hikaru Kobayashi (both of Royal Ballet)...well, I recognised Akane Takada on video , just that I got her personal details mixed up with that of Hikaru Kobayashi.

Very soon I will start complaining about not being able to recognise anyone on TV, saying that all those young people looks the same! :(

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2