Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A note from a misanthrope. Yes I felt like that yesterday.

In spite of suspecting that my post might be seen by some as controversial I, nevertheless, want to mention something that happens not in the auditorium but in the foyer.

Many of us love the crescent-shaped foyer between the vestibule of the main entrance and the Stalls. For those of us who are lucky sometimes to get a SCS ticket this foyer is a place to sit down on its plush benches during intervals and to give rest to weary feet. This place has a special aura for some: it is decorated with many theatre bills, paintings, photos, prints and stage-set models of the past as well as with several bronze busts, including Fonteyn and Nureyev. Some infrequent visitors to the ROH eye all those things with interest as in a kind of museum.

Since recently, as I noticed, some people think it is OK for them to turn this nice and elegant part of the theatre into an extension of their own TV room or a smelly cheap eatery. Just yesterday at the Don Q. interval when sitting there with my friend we had a chance to ‘enjoy’ the aroma of the world cookery. Within one meter from us a relatively young couple made themselves comfortable and started tucking into M&S boxed fast food smelling with fish and mayonnaise. O, they enjoyed it, their fingers were licked. When dropping some bits on the floor, they took care of rubbing them in with the soles of their shoes. The wrapping stuff was resting on the plush bench.

From within four meters on the other side from us a fragrance of pickle relish was coming. Three mature ladies unpacked their sizeable thermos bag, produced quite a variety of sandwiches, snacks and drinks and had a truly enjoyable time. All people strolling in the foyer had to outflank their bag and flasks.

Of course not everyone can afford the snacks prices at the ROH. I know that some people travel to the theatre from afar. Some come straight from work. I have been in all these situations myself. But why should the nice part of the ROH be preferred to all other eating options and turned into a quick-and-dirty? I find this behaviour inconsiderate and selfish: we want to eat right now and will eat wherever we like.

I might be accused now of disliking young hungry people or mature ladies or the mankind in general and will be called ungenerous, inhumane, smug, joy-killer, haughty, elite and snobby. Sorry, I will disagree.

• Like 7

A note from a misanthrope. Yes I felt like that yesterday.

In spite of suspecting that my post might be seen by some as controversial I, nevertheless, want to mention something that happens not in the auditorium but in the foyer.

Many of us love the crescent-shaped foyer between the vestibule of the main entrance and the Stalls. For those of us who are lucky sometimes to get a SCS ticket this foyer is a place to sit down on its plush benches during intervals and to give rest to weary feet. This place has a special aura for some: it is decorated with many theatre bills, paintings, photos, prints and stage-set models of the past as well as with several bronze busts, including Fonteyn and Nureyev. Some infrequent visitors to the ROH eye all those things with interest as in a kind of museum.

Since recently, as I noticed, some people think it is OK for them to turn this nice and elegant part of the theatre into an extension of their own TV room or a smelly cheap eatery. Just yesterday at the Don Q. interval when sitting there with my friend we had a chance to ‘enjoy’ the aroma of the world cookery. Within one meter from us a relatively young couple made themselves comfortable and started tucking into M&S boxed fast food smelling with fish and mayonnaise. O, they enjoyed it, their fingers were licked. When dropping some bits on the floor, they took care of rubbing them in with the soles of their shoes. The wrapping stuff was resting on the plush bench.

From within four meters on the other side from us a fragrance of pickle relish was coming. Three mature ladies unpacked their sizeable thermos bag, produced quite a variety of sandwiches, snacks and drinks and had a truly enjoyable time. All people strolling in the foyer had to outflank their bag and flasks.

Of course not everyone can afford the snacks prices at the ROH. I know that some people travel to the theatre from afar. Some come straight from work. I have been in all these situations myself. But why should the nice part of the ROH be preferred to all other eating options and turned into a quick-and-dirty? I find this behaviour inconsiderate and selfish: we want to eat right now and will eat wherever we like.

I might be accused now of disliking young hungry people or mature ladies or the mankind in general and will be called ungenerous, inhumane, smug, joy-killer, haughty, elite and snobby. Sorry, I will disagree.

No, I don't think you are a kill joy at all.  I am astonished by this behaviour and can't think why a member of staff did not sort it out

I was once told by an usher, in a similar scenario to that described by Amelia, that there was nothing they could do proactively - it needed someone to voice a complaint; similarly with noisy patrons in the auditorium. Can this be true?

Really?  The mind boggles.  I have seen the ushers be quite firm with people attempting to take ice creams into the auditorium and I  think there is a notice somewhere about only consuming food bought on the premises although  I have still seen people eating M&S sandwiches on the terrace, but this a different scenario to that described by Amelia. I think this is carrying the policy of making everyone feel welcome a bit too far.  Surely we should voice a complaint?  Maybe someone from ROH reads this forum,?

I find this behaviour inconsiderate and selfish: we want to eat right now and will eat wherever we like.

All the bumph says you are not permitted to consume food and drink not bought on the premises - probably drafted to avoid these very scenarios. Most ushers will turn a blind eye to some fruit, and even the occasional home made, non-oderous sandwich (which I don't object to - have been guilty myself, when time was in short supply) - but these seem rather extreme and definitely not wanted. I'd have a word with the front of house staff - asking with incredulity, "is this allowed?"

Quite brazen behaviour, considering they are almost within sniffing distance of the main "control post" between the front doors. In cases like this, we have moved too far away from the days when eating outside a dining room was not done in polite society.

This does not excuse them, it's unhygenic and selfish, but IMHO the catering options within the Royal Opera House are limited (in scope rather than physical space) and fall far short of the inclusivity it seeks to promote. Perhaps the way forward is for the ROH to address this aspect?

Quite brazen behaviour, considering they are almost within sniffing distance of the main "control post" between the front doors. In cases like this, we have moved too far away from the days when eating outside a dining room was not done in polite society.

This does not excuse them, it's unhygenic and selfish, but IMHO the catering options within the Royal Opera House are limited (in scope rather than physical space) and fall far short of the inclusivity it seeks to promote. Perhaps the way forward is for the ROH to address this aspect?

I agree that the price of even a humble sandwich is pretty high actually in the ROH but just outside there are countless places to buy/eat almost anything.  I have seen people sitting on the pavement eating their sandwiches, indeed I have done this myself when very pressed for time due to late train

• Like 1

Sandwiches at the ROH are ridiculously priced in my opinion but usually manage to grab at least a sandwich (from somewhere else) before the show starts.....though have been guilty of eating an ice cream in the interval in that part of the House mentioned....bought from the ROH though!!

Having a "picnic" as described above does seem a a bit too far imho.

• Like 1

The worst thing is that behaviour like this will probably result in a clampdown, and even those who just indulge in a bit of discreet sandwich-eating may find themselves affected.  I've no particular objection to buying things to eat at the ROH, *provided* that they've got things I can (and want to) eat there (I'm not a fan of smoked salmon anyway). Trouble is, they haven't had on the two occasions I've been there this season.

Ive been guilty of taking small sandwiches but have always ate them on arrival,before the show and certainly not in the posh bit!

Really think the ushers have a duty of care to deal with the behaviour described above, at the very least these people should have been asked to move to a more appropriate place. Supposing an unsuspecting person with a food allergy had passed by? For some, even the smell of some foods makes them vomit, or worse.

• Like 1

I know on one occasion my bag was searched when I went in, and they wanted to confiscate the small bottle of water I had in there, saying people were not allowed to bring in their own food and drink.  I pleaded with them on the grounds that I had a terrible cough (true) and needed the water to avoid disturbing others, so they allowed me to keep it.

I am very surprised that the ushers felt it was not something they could deal with, if asked. 

Incidentally, I went to Sadlers Wells last night, and there were lots of irritating people sitting around me.  The gentleman next to me sat with his legs about 10 feet apart, and slurped his drink noisily throughout the Rose Adagio.  A row of people behind me whispered constantly in a foreign language until I turned round and told them to keep quiet.  The woman sitting next to my partner kept checking her mobile phone for emails, causing the light to flash until he told her to turn it off. 

And the woman in front was not wearing bracelets, but large hoop earrings with what must have been little bells or something inside, which tinkled noisily every time she moved her head or swept her hair back, which she did frequently.  During the  pause between Act 1 and Act II, she whiled away the time by snogging her boyfriend. 

The only thing we didn't get was smelly food or crackling crisp packets. 

• Like 1

Call me Fonts or Fonty, Dave, everybody else does. 

I have even got into the habit of calling my other half Mr Font, which confuses my family no end! 

And yes, it was a marvellous evening, the audience were a minor irritation. 

Edited by Fonteyn22
  • Like 1

Oh dear it's a while since Ive been to Sadlers Wells now and this is not a good development. Where do they put the drinks down in between bouts of drinking there's not usually that much room on the floor between seats!!

It's one thing at the cinema....they allow it at the Duke of Yorks here in Brighton....though not that keen on it but in a theatre almost seems a bit mad!!

Oh yes, even stinky alcoholic ones :(.  Fair makes my stomach churn.  Mind you, with 15-minute intervals, I guess they have to.

All the people in tonight who couldn't even stomach a 3-minute pause between Acts I and II without reaching for their smartphones ... :(

All the people in tonight who couldn't even stomach a 3-minute pause between Acts I and II without reaching for their smartphones ... :(

Extraordinary, isn't it, Alison?  It was the same when I was there.  I just could not believe it. 

I'm beginning to seriously hate people who start clapping too soon. I was watching a bit of the Bolshoi's Onegin, and the final moments were completely ruined by the wretched applause before the music ended. Tchaikovsky must be spinning in his grave. 

• Like 2

the atmosphere was dissapated in R&J last night, as Juliet lay dead surrounded by frends and family(actually comatose, as we knew), and the cast's grief interrupted by vigorous applause (even deserved as it was, holding off at that point is a must surely)

And before that, I'd noticed people reacting at various points in Act III with a laughter which seemed distinctly inappropriate in the circumstances to me (and I don't mean Juliet hiding herself under the bedclothes: I'm used to that one by now).  Strange.

People laugh in the oddest places. I remember someone laughing at the Opera Garnier when Giselle disappeared into her grave at the end, I assume it was shocked laughter rather than amusement. The man sitting next to me in Stuttgart laughed when Lensky was shot. For the life of me I cannot imagine why.

Not strictly 'audience' behaviour, but it was in the lifts at Covent Garden tube station, so near enough!

In the rush hour today - never a good time - everyone piled into the lift, and a man behind me began shouting commands and ordering everyone to move along into the lift and to squeeze up, move forwards etc. At first I assumed it was a rail employee, but it wasn't - just a chap of Managing Director appearance (if you get my drift), who was evidently used to people jumping when he said jump.

I wonder if he behaves like that every day?

I've asked people to move forward in the lifts at Covent Garden Station so that as many people as possible can get in. It isn't just a question of having to wait for another lift: there is a real need to clear the passageways as quickly as possible so that passengers can get off the platforms before the next trains arrive. However, it does help if one accompanies one's request with a "please".

Tube stations with lifts are a pain, the one nearest my office,Goodge Street, has lifts but they have packer-iners in the morning rush hour.  To be honest I'm frequently grateful for those with hectoring voices shouting at people to move down in crowded trains, on my route passengers congregate like sheep around the doors preventing others from getting on. 

I actually prefer the no 11 bus when I leave ROH, it is quicker in the long run.

The lifts are a bit tedious at CG.  I do have a twinge of sympathy for the man giving orders, as there seem to be some people who stand peering in as if they have never seen a lift before and have no idea why they are standing there.  And then get in and don't move down to the front, but stop and put down huge rucksacks or vast bags, thereby blocking everyone else trying to get in.

I am afraid I have been guilty of the odd "loud voiced comment" myself at times. 

Strange about people laughing in odd places, isn't it?  I.ve heard people laughing at the end of Swan Lake or after the death of Tybalt.  Weird. 

Edited to add, after reading MAB's comment above:  Don't you just HATE people who start pushing on to the tube, while you are trying to get off.  I really get my loud  voice out for that one!

Edited by Fonteyn22

I absolutely hate the lifts at CG in the early evening and for that reason usually bus it in now and walk. Even from Victoria unless I'm really pushed for time get the no.11 or 38.....bus and walk or get out at Leicester Square as Janet said and walk from there.

I find the lifts a bit claustrophobic. But as a good ex "Londoner" know the ropes and move to the far doors so don't need anyone to shout at me!! But some newbies to CG and the big City probably just not that aware.

Where tubes are concerned I'll usually walk down the platform as far as can as often.....though not always....end carriages have less people in. I really hate the crush in the doorway and always try to stand inside the carriage.....where you've a much better chance of picking up a seat anyway! However as the buses are free for me now I try to go everywhere by bus whenever possible

The chap in the lift was rather hectoring to say the least - and nobody could move any further forward, as although it looked like there was room, there were two pushchairs at the front!

Like others, I'm happy to move up a bit when asked, but I don't much like being ordered about by a self-appointed Sergeant Major!