Royal Ballet - Jewels casting discussion

Getting rather ahead of myself here, since it's not on for months yet, but it occurred to me today that there have been a lot of departures from the Royal Ballet of dancers previously cast in Jewels since the previous run of the balletLeanne Benjamin and Roberta Marquez from "Emeralds", Carlos Acosta and Ricardo Cervera from "Rubies", and Rupert Pennefather from "Diamonds" are the ones which immediately come to mind, although there may be others.  So, there will be a lot of gaps to fill.  Who would you cast?  (And would you move around existing casts?)

• Like 1

Lauren and Federico, Marianela and Vadim in Diamonds. Beatriz and Stephen in Rubies. Yasmine and Matthew in Emeralds.

Those are the ones that immediately spring to mind, but I am sure more will occur to me!

• Like 3

I'm sure Vadim *could* alternate, it's just that they've never alternated anyone in it before, despite what I thought were some very good opportunities.  Maybe the rehearsal/performance schedule just doesn't allow it.

An interesting question and one which in real life is likely to cause some head scratching..If it were me I think that I would start with Emeralds because it is the distillation of the French school with its precise simple elegance and in my opinion it is the most difficult to get right. It is not just a question of reproducing the steps,it rarely is, but of creating the right mood.It is that mood with its air of mystery, which has been elusive in most performances which the Royal Ballet has given, I wonder whether that was because management began by casting Diamonds before they cast the other ballets. I can see the attraction of Diamonds for dancers.It gives the dancers an opportunity to shine in a rather obvious way and it is easier to achieve an effect in it than it is in the rather understated dance world of Emeralds. As possibly the weakest of the three ballets it needs a bit of help with a genuine ballerina but I think that I would begin with getting the casting for Emeralds right and  worry about Diamonds later. I would work on the basis that there are no small roles in Emeralds so that casting the pas de trois is just as important as casting the right dancers in the leading roles. I would look very carefully at the dancers who have been cast as Giselle and Albrecht and those who have recently danced in the pas de six for this ballet. If that means overpopulating the cast of this ballet with experienced senior dancers I would take that route. So I would consider casting dancers like Cuthbertson,Muntagirov, Lamb and possibly Kish  in this work with Hay and Takada as part of the pas de trois.

Rubies calls for dancers with ebullience. I assume we shall see McRae and Osipova again and for the second cast I would consider dancers like  Campbell and Sambe,I am not so sure about the girl Fumi or Hayward ?The dancers in these roles need both personality and technique.Who will dance the role that Yanowsky has danced until now? Storm Jensen perhaps, she has the technique and she is young enough not to be intimidated by the role or by following in Yanowsky's footsteps.

As far as Diamonds is concerned it was created for Suzanne Farrell  and is arguably the weakest of the three ballets which make up Jewels. It needs help but I don't think that the sucess of the performance of Jewels as a whole should be jeopardised by casting dancers in Diamonds who might make Emeralds work as it really should.I would look at the entire company not merely the top three tiers of the company when it comes to casting Diamonds and I would seriously consider casting Clarke and Katsura in Diamonds. She is a lovely classical dancer while he,I think, would be wonderful as the ballerina's cavalier.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 6

Funny --- I would have thought Hayward was made for Emeralds with Hay as a fitting partner ... Osipova/McRae were so dazzling in Rubies the last time I so hope to see them again ... the entire company looked inspired in it ... and would love to see Stix-Brunell in that soloist role.  Think that a certain height is important for the balance in Diamonds - and would adore a chance to see Naghdi/Ball in that ... or Nunez with either Muntagirov or Clarke.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 8

I loved Stix-Brunnell in Emeralds in the one Jewels I’ve seen, so Stix-Brunnell with Muntagirov in Emeralds and Nunez in Diamonds is my personal would-love-to-see. Looking forward to seeing many Jewels next year.

(This thread has got me whistling the Emeralds tune which has cheered me up after the debacle of Ballet Day (I know, first-world problems)).

• Like 1

I dug out some old Jewel cast sheets last night and watched my DVD with POB.  I very much want Steven McRae return to the Emeralds pas de trois, watching Emmanuel Thibault's classically precise performance, I honestly think it has to be McRae to do that role justice.  I'm afraid rather indifferent dancers have danced it in the past.  Sambe should replace him in Rubies.

I can see the attraction of Diamonds for dancers.It gives the dancers an opportunity to shine in a rather obvious way and it is easier to achieve an effect in it than it is in the rather understated dance world of Emeralds. As possibly the weakest of the three ballets it needs a bit of help with a genuine ballerina but I think that I would begin with getting the casting for Emeralds right and  worry about Diamonds later.

As far as Diamonds is concerned it was created for Suzanne Farrell  and is arguably the weakest of the three ballets which make up Jewels. It needs help but I don't think that the sucess of the performance of Jewels as a whole should be jeopardised by casting dancers in Diamonds who might make Emeralds work as it really should.

I have had similar misgivings about Diamonds as you do. The allure of Diamonds to dancers may be based on misunderstanding what is all about, and it is not about "shining", neither it is about "emotions". To my eyes it is a rather formal piece, quite French, in fact, except not French Late Romantic (like Emeralds), but rather Ancien régime. This is perhaps the reason why I am least satisfied with Diamonds most of the time when watching Jewels.

• 5 months later...

Yes, the  live screening is being very slow to sell too.  It does seem  to have been on quite a few times in rceent years and it doesn't perhaps have the appeal to a wider audience . 

A shame. But, having seen it quite often myself, I must admit I would have preferred some different Balanchine. However, I guess it is a very good showcase for  different styles of dancer and will enjoy it for that.

I must admit to being a bit surprised at the number of performances, myself.  OTOH, I think the last run sold very well but i) it was late Christmas season and may have represented a nice change from Nutcrackers and ii) I can't remember how many performances were scheduled, but I don't think it was this many.  Equally, I'm surprised at there being 8 performances of the Dawson/Wheeldon/Pite bill whereas only half-a-dozen of the rather more tempting Ashton bill.

• Like 2

I must admit to being a bit surprised at the number of performances, myself.  OTOH, I think the last run sold very well but i) it was late Christmas season and may have represented a nice change from Nutcrackers and ii) I can't remember how many performances were scheduled, but I don't think it was this many.  Equally, I'm surprised at there being 8 performances of the Dawson/Wheeldon/Pite bill whereas only half-a-dozen of the rather more tempting Ashton bill.

Maybe the demands of the Ashton bill means it cannot be performed so often. I don't just mean the dancers. It's hard work on the solo pianist as well.

I would have thought more performances of the bill would have sold pretty well.

Resurrecting this thread to ask whether anyone yet knows who the TBC Sambe will be partnering in Rubies is? They're leaving the announcement rather later than usual - is this an oversight or is there some doubt?

I would love to see him dance it with Hayward or O'Sullivan!

• Like 1

I would love to see him dance it with Hayward or O'Sullivan!

I had thought that it might be Osipova - given that she was SO brilliant in it ... but either of the above - with a special passion for O'Sullivan because their Bluebird together was so brilliant in just the way that would feed a phenomenal Rubies.  

One this is certain just now ... We're spoiled for choice :) 

I dug out some old Jewel cast sheets last night and watched my DVD with POB.  I very much want Steven McRae return to the Emeralds pas de trois, watching Emmanuel Thibault's classically precise performance, I honestly think it has to be McRae to do that role justice.  I'm afraid rather indifferent dancers have danced it in the past.  Sambe should replace him in Rubies.

It was in this role that I first noticed Nicol Edmunds - and very good in it he was.  Certainly it made me remember his name.  

I dug out some old Jewel cast sheets last night and watched my DVD with POB.  I very much want Steven McRae return to the Emeralds pas de trois, watching Emmanuel Thibault's classically precise performance, I honestly think it has to be McRae to do that role justice. 

Yes, but he's a (seniorish) Principal now.  I really can't see it happening.