Poor old ROH

Difficult times at ROH.  Having lost Osipova for the autumn ballet season, ROH has now had to announce that Jonas Kauffman is ill and will not be singing tomorrow or Monday which were the only two performances he had at the Opera House this year.

Lot of uproar on the ROH website.  It is such a difficult one.  Clearly this wonderful singer is unwell but many people, including myself have paid enormous amounts of money for this very special tenor and now we have an understudy.  I have been cursed this year - lost two Osipova performances and now Kauffman.

Many people are calling for the right to a refund or a credit note for future performances but I cannot support this.  Yes, it is disappointing  and in my case I'm forking out for trains, hotel, etc., but this is what can happen when you are booking especially for individual performers.  Artists are human and subject to the same stresses and strains and minor illnesses as the rest of us.

I have to say, though, that the Osipova situation still rankles.  She has just danced Manon and has further performances booked, yet could not be in London to dance with the ballet company who employs her as a Principal.  I know we have had this topic up before but I think it got shut down because one poster would not discuss it objectively.  I feel ambivalent about her performing with the Bolshoi in the summer.  On the plus side it means we will be able to see this wonderful dancer at a time when otherwise she would not be in London.  On the other hand, I can't stand the Bolshoi audiences and their prices are mega inflated.

Any views, anyone? 

• Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult times at ROH.  Having lost Osipova for the autumn ballet season, ROH has now had to announce that Jonas Kauffman is ill and will not be singing tomorrow or Monday which were the only two performances he had at the Opera House this year.

I have to say, though, that the Osipova situation still rankles.  She has just danced Manon and has further performances booked, yet could not be in London to dance with the ballet company who employs her as a Principal.  I know we have had this topic up before but I think it got shut down because one poster would not discuss it objectively.  I feel ambivalent about her performing with the Bolshoi in the summer.  On the plus side it means we will be able to see this wonderful dancer at a time when otherwise she would not be in London.  On the other hand, I can't stand the Bolshoi audiences and their prices are mega inflated.

Any views, anyone? 

I understand, and with a discussion about Polunin pulling out of Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty in Milan, I can also understand that 'these are the risks you take' etc.. In terms of Osipova who is being discussed ad infinitum at the moment due to this issue, you can't help but feel there is something of an influence by her new official beau. A quick note on this, is that it was widely known that she was in a relationship with Polunin for many months before  it became official, and I am in Switzerland and not heavily connected to the ballet world, but there are many more things that are 'known' about these happenings than can be said on these forums due to the very understandable rules. I just wish they would keep their business under wraps a bit more rather than people knowing more than they should about the whys and wherefores of these events.

Regarding poor ROH, you mention Manon in La Scala, the premiere starring Roberto Bolle and Svetlana Zakharova was cancelled a few hours before the performance last night due to a strike by the lighting team. I don't know any of the issues surrounding their plight, but in this case I would very much say 'Poor La Scala' too. 

Also on the issue of being injured and announcing guesting roles, poor David Hallberg will miss the Manon with Ospiova, but has been announced for the Bolshoi tour of London, I am not sure when he has been announced to dance next for ABT.

With the season of good tidings and goodwill, I hope patience and love of Ballet will see everyone through, there has been a spate of poor luck for some ballet companies and dancers, so lets all wish for a happy festive season and a happier more successful new year to all :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 9

Quite, SBF!

It is not only the ROH that has this type of problem - it is a world-wide issue these days.

The cult of personality reality does not help anything.  I suppose I am just lucky that I follow 2 companies that don't issue casting until long after I have usually booked.  Although I did once book a last minute ticket to see a favourite dancer only to get to the theatre and discover the casts had been switched around to give another dancer longer to recover from injury.  So it goes, I did enjoy very much the performance I saw.

• Like 5

I understand, and with a discussion about Polunin pulling out of Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty in Milan, I can also understand that 'these are the risks you take' etc.. In terms of Osipova who is being discussed ad infinitum at the moment due to this issue, you can't help but feel there is something of an influence by her new official beau. A quick note on this, is that it was widely known that she was in a relationship with Polunin for many months before  it became official, and I am in Switzerland and not heavily connected to the ballet world, but there are many more things that are 'known' about these happenings than can be said on these forums due to the very understandable rules. I just wish they would keep their business under wraps a bit more rather than people knowing more than they should about the whys and wherefores of these events.

Regarding poor ROH, you mention Manon in La Scala, the premiere starring Roberto Bolle and Svetlana Zakharova was cancelled a few hours before the performance last night due to a strike by the lighting team. I don't know any of the issues surrounding their plight, but in this case I would very much say 'Poor La Scala' too. 

Also on the issue of being injured and announcing guesting roles, poor David Hallberg will miss the Manon with Ospiova, but has been announced for the Bolshoi tour of London, I am not sure when he has been announced to dance next for ABT.

With the season of good tidings and goodwill, I hope patience and love of Ballet will see everyone through, there has been a spate of poor luck for some ballet companies and dancers, so lets all wish for a happy festive season and a happier more successful new year to all :)

Great and very informative post, Swiss Balletfan.

Yes, I have always felt that there is more than we are being told about the Osipova situation.  And yes, the cult of Twitter etc has to bear a lot of the blame but the Russians especially seem to believe that everything they want known about their lives should be publicised.  I hate all the social media stuff but its an artistes choice whether to participate or not.

I guess RB are in a bind.  If they come down heavy-handed then Natalia will do a Polunin and we will all be the poorer.  I don't know the answer but I do feel a tad used.

• Like 2

Any views, anyone? 

Yes.  This needs to stop.  There's too much negativity on here right now.  Is there really a need to start another thread?  Kaufmann is off so we're talking about Osipova again.  If Pappano were to resign tomorrow would we also talk about Osipova and Bolshoi?

• Like 9

Yes.  This needs to stop.  There's too much negativity on here right now.  Is there really a need to start another thread?  Kaufmann is off so we're talking about Osipova again.  If Pappano were to resign tomorrow would we also talk about Osipova and Bolshoi?

I find it worrying to see the phrase 'this has to stop' on a discussion forum.  I am open-minded in my viewpoint although I admit to being a little perplexed.  Why can't we discuss this?  Are we to have censorship like some kind of Stalinist fan-site?

• Like 4

Quite, SBF!

It is not only the ROH that has this type of problem - it is a world-wide issue these days.

The cult of personality reality does not help anything.  I suppose I am just lucky that I follow 2 companies that don't issue casting until long after I have usually booked.  Although I did once book a last minute ticket to see a favourite dancer only to get to the theatre and discover the casts had been switched around to give another dancer longer to recover from injury.  So it goes, I did enjoy very much the performance I saw.

I have found before that if there was a last minute substitution, I ended up seeing a dancer that possibly I hadn't watched before, and enjoying the performance very much. Sometimes I wondered why on earth I hadn't booked any of the substitute's performances before. 

Having a starry name replaced by a less well known one can be hugely enjoyable and a pleasant surprise.

(Edited to correct my terrible spelling...)

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 9

To be honest, when I look at the posts above, I see the person who started the post saying about Kaufmann and her poor luck, and the issue being exacerbated by the Osipova in what I read to be quite light hearted way. Then some support and I tried to further the discussion by introducing the La Scala cancellation and David Hallberg etc... 

I find it infinitely more positive to add a point that furthers the discussion in a way that is beneficial to all members. I know that 'shewhoshouldnotbenamed' and her man have decided to guest with ENB, but I still think some sympathy can be reserved for the 'noisy lot across the street' to complain of their bad luck as much as you can be happy with yours. (until they cancel of course ;)  )

My view is that posts to the point that 'stop this', 'this is negative' 'this is bad' are more negative and divisive, than simply ignoring or furthering the discussion. I find this infinitely the polite thing to do when at parties or dinner with people I have just met. Let's all try to be more Lady Edith than Lady Mary at Downtown?

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 4

I find it worrying to see the phrase 'this has to stop' on a discussion forum.  I am open-minded in my viewpoint although I admit to being a little perplexed.  Why can't we discuss this?  Are we to have censorship like some kind of Stalinist fan-site?

Why does one want to have the same discussion in three different threads?  There's one on Osipova, one on Bolshoi and one on Kaufmann.  This is the news section of the forum.  It's hardly "news" when the same theme reappears in different places over time, is it?  Never mind, carry on.    

• Like 3

Is that a typo for Bolshoi (or Sadler's Wells) or am I missing something?

Sorry Geoff, you are missing my very poor knowledge of the UK ballet companies/theatres. Yes Sadler's Wells. For my poor logic, I thought, if it isn't RB then its ENB in London company wise. Thanks for pointing it out if it isn't correct. I will start researching better. Sorry ENBLover.

I have found before that if there was a last minute substitution, I ended up seeing a dancer that possibly I hadn't watched before, and enjoying the performance very much. Sometimes I wondered why on earth I hadn't booked any of the substitute's performances before. 

Having a starry name replaced by a less well known one can be hugely enjoyable and a pleasant surprise.

(Edited to correct my terrible spelling...)

You make a good point.  Of course I am disappointed about Kauffman because I would like to hear him sing just once before I die(!) but all the reports are that the understudy is tremendous.  We will give him a huge response tomorrow to help him give of his best.

• Like 5

I remember when Yuhui Choe had to replace Osipova as Aurora at very short notice. Some of the die-hard fans were making their feelings known in the amphi, where I was sitting. Yuhui did the best thing possible to metaphorically stick two fingers up at them: she came out and danced the performance of her life. She must have been terrified, but as soon as she appeared we gave her huge applause, which must have encouraged her, because she was truly wonderful. By the end, even the die-hards were applauding. I have many such occurrences over the years.

As far as opera is concerned, I paid lots of money three times over ten years to see Pavarotti, only for him to be 'ill' or 'indisposed' each time. I finally got to see him in Aida and then, most memorably, in l'Elisir d'Amore (as I type, the memory of Una Furtiva Lacrima is still giving me goosebumps). In that case, the waiting was worth it. Although all the singers who had to step in for him were fine, none of them managed to rid me of my sense of disappointment...unlike in the similar ballet episodes.

• Like 14

Clearly this wonderful singer is unwell but many people, including myself have paid enormous amounts of money for this very special tenor and now we have an understudy.  I have been cursed this year - lost two Osipova performances and now Kauffman.

Many people are calling for the right to a refund or a credit note for future performances but I cannot support this.  Yes, it is disappointing  and in my case I'm forking out for trains, hotel, etc., but this is what can happen when you are booking especially for individual performers.  Artists are human and subject to the same stresses and strains and minor illnesses as the rest of us.

This seems a significantly different tack to the one you took when Osipova was unable to perform, Penelope.

• Like 2

As I understand it, the case with refunds for no - show stars is down to the way the performance of whatever it is, is marketed. In my albeit limited experience, I have found that a theatre or venue is not obliged to give a refund if a particular performer is unable to do their thing for whatever reason, unless the show is advertised as their own. Therefore, if a show is billed as for example An Evening With Darcey Bussell, and Miss Bussell is indisposed on the night, a substitute would generally not be acceptable, however interesting they may be, hence a refund.

As for Jonas Kaufmann, I was lucky enough to see him at the ROH in Tosca some years ago. I am sorry to hear he is unwell and I hope he is better soon. I met him at the stage door as well and he was delightful, not to mention gorgeous.

• Like 2

I remember when Yuhui Choe had to replace Osipova as Aurora at very short notice. Some of the die-hard fans were making their feelings known in the amphi, where I was sitting. Yuhui did the best thing possible to metaphorically stick two fingers up at them: she came out and danced the performance of her life. She must have been terrified, but as soon as she appeared we gave her huge applause, which must have encouraged her, because she was truly wonderful. By the end, even the die-hards were applauding. I have many such occurrences over the years.

As far as opera is concerned, I paid lots of money three times over ten years to see Pavarotti, only for him to be 'ill' or 'indisposed' each time. I finally got to see him in Aida and then, most memorably, in l'Elisir d'Amore (as I type, the memory of Una Furtiva Lacrima is still giving me goosebumps). In that case, the waiting was worth it. Although all the singers who had to step in for him were fine, none of them managed to rid me of my sense of disappointment...unlike in the similar ballet episodes.

That season of Sleeping Beauty saw Yuhui Choe dance the dress rehearsal. her own two performances and the three Osipova performances. Each performance just got better and better and most importantly she remained true to the music!

• Like 8

As I understand it, the case with refunds for no - show stars is down to the way the performance of whatever it is, is marketed. In my albeit limited experience, I have found that a theatre or venue is not obliged to give a refund if a particular performer is unable to do their thing for whatever reason, unless the show is advertised as their own. Therefore, if a show is billed as for example An Evening With Darcey Bussell, and Miss Bussell is indisposed on the night, a substitute would generally not be acceptable, however interesting they may be, hence a refund.

As for Jonas Kaufmann, I was lucky enough to see him at the ROH in Tosca some years ago. I am sorry to hear he is unwell and I hope he is better soon. I met him at the stage door as well and he was delightful, not to mention gorgeous.

One of the most beautiful Sunday evenings I've ever spent was standing in the Stalls Circle a couple of years ago listening to him sing Winterreise. I even took a taxi home because I couldn't face the Tube afterwards; I was in such a lovely place that I didn't want to spoil it!

• Like 6

I remember an interview with Ms Harvey of ABT and RB. She very modestly said that her career was 'outlasting the other dancers and filling in when they were injured' she said that she could clearly hear the moans and groans of people in the auditorium as they announced the cast change. For her it was some motivation, but she could understand in some way, but thought 'I love to dance, and will take any chance to do it'. I am paraphrasing from memory, but just to demonstrate that from the artist's point, it is a great chance, and they may be conscious of what the audience are thinking. For them though, it is a great chance, and could be a great time of their lives, if not a platform to launch their career.

Last season a corps member was injured on the night of a production of Giselle, a student in the local school was backstage being introduced to the cast as a treat. They asked her if she could step in... word quickly spread in the cast and auditorium, I don't quite remember such a large applause for the CdB or a smile of a cast member :)

Your disappointment is a dream chance for the new artist, I hope that would give you the patience and happiness to wish them on with support too. :) Although it isn't ideal, I agree.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

With Kaufmann and opera singers in general, an additional reason for ticket holders to be annoyed is that the price of a run will often depend on who is singing, I hope Andrea Caré will deliver the goods, but had he been cast in the first place tickets probably would have been about 20-25% cheaper.

One of the most beautiful Sunday evenings I've ever spent was standing in the Stalls Circle a couple of years ago listening to him sing Winterreise. I even took a taxi home because I couldn't face the Tube afterwards; I was in such a lovely place that I didn't want to spoil it!

Yes, when I met him I was 'up' from Sussex and so didn't have to face Victoria coach hell station. I had his first c.d. with me and went round to the stage door before the performance just in case. This was the first time I had been to the stage door for years and I remember the guy on the desk was really friendly. He was very helpful too, as I asked if he knew if Mr Kaufmann was on the premises and he replied that Mr Kaufmann was indeed present and was standing right behind me, having just come through the inner door while I was asking.  What excellent timing! Mr Kaufmann didn't seem to mind being stopped for some chitchat - which was interesting for me as I asked him where he thought was the best place to sit at the ROH for opera. He signed my c.d. cover and mis-pelled my name and wrote 'sorry' with an arrow pointing to the error.It was all very lighthearted and exciting for me, as it was also my first trip to the ROH for many years.  He could have signed it blahblahblah if he liked, I was totally awed and babbling like a starstruck eejit. I will treasure that c.d. forever, spelling mistake and all. Really nice guy and wonderful voice.

• Like 6

With Kaufmann and opera singers in general, an additional reason for ticket holders to be annoyed is that the price of a run will often depend on who is singing, I hope Andrea Caré will deliver the goods, but had he been cast in the first place tickets probably would have been about 20-25% cheaper.

Sometimes the RO put a premium on the prices for those specific performances where a particularly "big" name is performing, and sometimes they don't.  If they don't, there's not much of an argument for a partial refund, unfortunately - I believe they have in the past refunded that premium when the singer has had to cancel?

That's a useful distinction. Though I suppose it could be said that some marketing does focus quite a lot on the individuals who will be performing and so it can be quite a fine distinction too. And while there will obviously be disappointment if the dancer you wanted to see is ill/injured, as others have said it often gives you the chance to see someone else for whom you wouldn't have booked and that can open new doors. The only problem, and what I think causes legitimate disgruntlement, is if there is any sense for any reason that the person being replaced is not in fact ill or injured (and I am NOT talking about anyone specific here! Just making a general point). Otherwise, I suspect that illness/injury is even more frustrating for the performer than for the audience.

• Like 1

On the other hand, I can't stand the Bolshoi audiences .....................

Would you care to enlarge on that statement?

I've been to Moscow to see the company more times than I can count and have followed their tours around the UK and Europe, I know many people that do the same.  What exactly is it that you find so objectionable about us?

I was at the sleeping beauty performance where Yuhui replaced Natalia - I actually remember feeling quite shocked at the response from some members in the audience? Perhaps this is just inexperience on my part (it's the only time I've been present when a cast change has been announced with short notice)... I think, amongst other things, it doesn't come across well for the dancer being replaced (although obviously not their fault).

Although I wasn't moved by the performance (I can only recall the dancing was technically good, but not much else), I still wouldn't boo a replacement, even if they were replacing someone I'd forked out specifically to see. However, I can still understand the frustration.

I think I'd feel differently if the entire performance was cancelled due to strike, a few hours before it started(!) though. How awful for those who'd gone to La Scala specially.

Out of interest, has Natalia actually performed in manon yet? I thought it wasn't until the end of the month.

I agree with SBF. Looking forward to the new year! :-)

Perhaps this is just inexperience on my part (it's the only time I've been present when a cast change has been announced with short notice)... I think, amongst other things, it doesn't come across well for the dancer being replaced (although obviously not their fault).

I don't think it was at short notice, was it?  Was this the one resulting from the concussion she sustained in Tetractys?  If so, I thought the ROH did give a reasonable amount of notice, but since I don't think I'd actually booked for her I can't be sure.

Actually, now I think about it some more, I think the ROH may have been late in announcing *who* it was who would be replacing her, but not the fact that Osipova wouldn't be dancing?

Sometimes the RO put a premium on the prices for those specific performances where a particularly "big" name is performing, and sometimes they don't.  If they don't, there's not much of an argument for a partial refund, unfortunately - I believe they have in the past refunded that premium when the singer has had to cancel?

The only case of a refund I remember (though based on just about 7 years of opera going only) was for Tamerlano with Domingo and Kurt Streit, though both were initially priced the same they had different pages to make sure the customers wouldn't mistakenly book the wrong singer (and sure enough the Streit dates were very very poorly sold). When Domingo cancelled and was replaced by Streit for the whole run they offered a 20% discount, it was a few more days before they also discounted the performances that Streit was always going to sing.

I don't think the somewhat recent Domingo/Nucci casts of Nabucco had different prices depending on who was singing.

The only time I recall where prices changed depending on the casts was a run of The Magic Flute a few years ago when there was three different pricings, though it was explained as being related to the day of the week, it just so happened that Simon Keenlyside (if I remember correctly) was only singing the weekend performances.

The price differences between casts will rather be for different runs, and with for instance Carmen, the Alagna/Garanca run from 2009 was then the most expensive tickets in the season (or even tickets had ever been at Covent Garden), this run with a couple of Kaufmann dates was getting close to that, whereas the runs in between tended to be noticeably cheaper.

I had booked tickets for a West End play some years ago which featured a very well known actor in the lead.  When we arrived at the theatre and discovered the understudy was playing in his place, we were offered the chance to exchange our tickets for a future date.  Seems a sensible solution and I don't see why the ROH shouldn't use the same policy when a guest star cannot sing/dance. 

But when a company dancer, not a guest performer, is off, it is a different matter as the booking conditions clearly state that casting is subject to change.

There were some harsh comments on the old Ballet.co website when a company member with an international following was off for a very lengthy period recovering from injury yet still managed to make guest appearances abroad.  But presumably her contract permitted this and I expect that few established dancers would agree to join any company unless they could take advantage of chances to guest elsewhere.

Ultimately it is a matter of contract: unless there is a clause insisting that performances with the company take priority, the management can do nothing.  It may seem to outsiders like having your cake and eating it:  financial security and big company benefits plus lucrative guest appearances but given how brief a dancing career can be, I doubt it will ever change.

Personally, I've always been lucky and have enjoyed some wonderful performances from dancers I hadn't initially booked to see.

Linda

I had booked tickets for a West End play some years ago which featured a very well known actor in the lead.  When we arrived at the theatre and discovered the understudy was playing in his place, we were offered the chance to exchange our tickets for a future date.  Seems a sensible solution and I don't see why the ROH shouldn't use the same policy when a guest star cannot sing/dance. 

That's a bit of a different situation, though: a presumably quite long season of the same play, with tickets still available.  If you only have, say, 6 performances of an opera scheduled and the singer is indisposed, they probably wouldn't be able to be rescheduled for years.

Well, I've had a least 2 ROH operas where the replacement was a lot better than the more starry initial cast though that's unlikely to be the case for this Carmen.

The ROH has asked ticket holders who don't want to use their tickets to get in touch (on the comments thread), so whilst they won't see Kaufmann, it doesn't sound like they are getting complete short thrift.

Whilst I personally would love to be able to get credit notes when I can't make a performance, I don't think that system would work well for the ROH - I'd certainly exchange a lot more tickets on short notice that way and might be tempted to buy more tickets 'on spec' since I could just return them if I don't fancy it after all. Unless they increased the ticket price overall to deal with the money lost on last minute unsold tickets, I can't see how they'd finance a "no question asked exchange policy" - I'd rather have the odd ticket not resold / unused than a hefty increase on all tickets.

• Like 2

The ROH has asked ticket holders who don't want to use their tickets to get in touch (on the comments thread), so whilst they won't see Kaufmann, it doesn't sound like they are getting complete short thrift.

They only offer the regular exchange/resale policy.

I'd assume credit would only be valid for a certain amount of time (usually six months), they'd probably end up benefitting from those never used.