Poor old ROH

I have been looking at the bookings for Two Pigeons for ages, and wondering why there were so many tickets left unsold.  It makes me cross, because I bought a ticket ages ago for a seat up in the roof, and I could have got a much better seat for a lot less. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the ROH obviously decided that it couldn't take the risk of ticket sales picking up after first night; hence the very attractive offers. The second bill, including a better known ballet (Rhapsody), is a complicating factor. Many people may have decided / decide to book for that instead of the current bill.

PS Two Pigeons is not an unknown ballet to ballet lovers who venture beyond the confines of the ROH. It was performed by BRB in London a couple of years ago and presumably it was taken on tour in the weeks or months before or after that.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

I find that ticket sales are often sluggish before many of the ballets open.  I remember being astounded at the number of tickets for sale for the last run of Fille.  Of course, once the reviews came out, they were snapped up. 

It seems that many people wait until the critics give their opinion?   I have found the same thing with tickets for plays, unless it has a starry name like Benedict Cumberbatch, or David Tennant.  Sometimes people ask me how on earth I managed to get a ticket for something that has had rave reviews, and I tell them that I booked before the preview night. 

Edited by Fonty

The ROH only has itself to blame. The prices are far too high for a relatively unknown double bill: £100 for the stalls and £59 for the amphitheatre (admittedly, these are the best seats in these parts of the auditorium). I've only bought one ticket and I won't be buying one for the Two Pigeons / Rhapsody bill (this must be the third time that Rhapsody has been staged since 2011).

It breaks my heart to see two of Ashton's masterpieces described as "relatively unknown"!  On a lighter note:  SPD444, there are always more than two pigeons backstage, just in case the "chosen ones" refuse to go on! 

• Like 4

It breaks my heart to see two of Ashton's masterpieces described as "relatively unknown"!  On a lighter note:  SPD444, there are always more than two pigeons backstage, just in case the "chosen ones" refuse to go on!

That's a relief, couldn't imagine Kevin coming onstage and asking, wait for it, is there a pigeon in the house

• Like 3

That's a relief, couldn't imagine Kevin coming onstage and asking, wait for it, is there a pigeon in the house

Actually I remember now that there was a famous photograph of one of the final poses of the ballet in which there were THREE pigeons perched on the back of the chair, so the understudy did finally get to go on!  I also remember from the many performances I saw in the late 70s and 80s that quite a few of the pigeons liked to do a circuit of the auditorium before settling on the chair, so there really was a pigeon in the house!

• Like 4

SPD444, there are always more than two pigeons backstage, just in case the "chosen ones" refuse to go on! 

Is this going to spawn a heated sub-thread of allegations about diva-like behaviour on the part of the star pigeon, refusal to perform with the proposed partner etc?

• Like 10