carmen67

My Ds has been offered a 6th form place at Elmhurst ! We are overwhelmed ! It was his 4th attempt. Determination paid off ! Good luck to all waiting for results and don't give up. Dreams do come true

Well done to him - see you at the Elms in September.

• Like 3

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of a few people accepting places at more than one upper school even though they've already decided which one they'll go to.

I can't believe people would do this when there are young people out there waiting to hear if they've been offered a place or not. Rant over !

• Like 4

I've heard of a few people accepting places at more than one upper school even though they've already decided which one they'll go to.

I can't believe people would do this when there are young people out there waiting to hear if they've been offered a place or not. Rant over !

The only situation where it makes sense to do that would be if they are offered a place from their alternative choice first and are still waiting to hear if they've got into their first choice. Otherwise, why would they bother accepting a place or even auditioning at a different school if they're sure where they want to go and have been offered a place there?

It might be a funding issue though (this happened to us last year) and we couldn't make a final decision until it was sorted out.

• Like 3

Agreed it's often an issue but you have to consider that the auditions are staggered so places are offered moths apart and some schools (that may be your first choice) need finals whilst others (perhaps your second choice) didn't therefore you may hold a place at school b incase your plan a doesn't work out, which to me seems a sensible thing to do. Also in terms of funding, as different courses have different levels of financial aid and it often takes a while to find out if/ how much you have been awarded people will hold more than one place to ensure they have somewhere to train. Ofcourse these people ( including me ) understand that there are people on waiting lists desperate to have the place they may give up but at the end of the day we want to ensure we have a viable place that we can afford to go to aswell- if that makes sense??

This may be more relevant for post 18 or more musical theatre training where student loans vs diplomas and dada's come into play

Edited by Guest

Found out yesterday my DD was offered a place at Central. Now we have Rambert and Central to choose from. Last year my DD didn't get anywhere but she persevered and matured from her disappointments and gained two places. This was our wish. Just a little inspiration for any disappointed children out there, keep trying!

• Like 29

Thank you both and she still isn't sure but I think she is swaying towards Central because she is more classical. Not going to make any hasty decisions, will just sleep on it for a few days and talk to her teachers. We are so happy to be in this position!

• Like 11

My ds got a no from elmhurst, I was amazed when I told him that he was actually really relieved, he told me he had been terrified that he would get in as the reality of leaving home had set in and he just isn't ready!!! He is keen to try again next year as he thinks he will be more ready to leave home by then (he is only 15 now) he is looking forward to summer school and says he knows he has to work even harder now for the next year. Amazing how things turn out!!

• Like 13

I've been reading this forum for a few years now, through local classes, associates and more recently through the audition process. My daughter has had a couple of offers but has decided to accept Central. It's been a whirlwind of emotion but we've met some fabulous people along the way and I wanted to thank the forum and those who have passed on invaluable advice. Can't wait for the next phase. X

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on in there Flexible Fred. Tring were quite early with their finals. Laines are any day now and Hammond next week and I am sure there will be other schools that have not completed auditions yet so some students will not be in a position to make a decision yet. If it helps, the year my DD auditioned it was May that there was a sudden flurry of activity on reserve lists, despite the fact that finals were in March. Good luck, fingers crossed for your DD.

• Like 1

Is anybody's dd or ds going to BTUK in Sept.

Are you just waiting on Tring Flexible Fred or has dd got a place somewhere else.

I know 2 girls last year that were notified on places for Tring in the June.

I bet its a nightmare for the schools having to keep shuffling places around.

Yes my dd is so excited - but nervous too regarding living away from home - she's only 16 but quite mature/fairly sensible. Some housekeeping and cooking lessons after GCSE's are in order I think ????????????. Yes I wondered that too - expect it will be soon

My dd is also 16 and does not seem bothered to live away from home. I think it has made it easier as she is an assoicate their so is comfortable with everything. Good idea on the cooking and laundrey lessons must start that.

How exciting for them.

• Like 1