Vent about unorganised children.

Picturesinthefirelight

I'm getting pretty fed up.

Yesterday Dd left both pairs of pointes plus her sift blocks at school. She apparently left them in someone else's locker (why?) so they were taken to the boarding house for safety.

So today which is the deadline for deciding exam entries she has no shoes having alreeady been made to sit out class last week for having no tights.

And she's supposed to go to a workshop on Sunday that she's had permission to attend & I've paid for with no shoes.

It's over £200 worth of shoes she can't be bothered to look after.

Grrrr!

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

DD very organised but did occasionally leave/loose things.  

Non dd and utter nightmare and you have my sympathies. Her teacher complained to me at parents evening that she always had to wait to start the lesson as non-dd never had her pencil. I used to keep a pack of pencils in the car and give her one in the morning - can't do that with pointe shoes!!

Edited by porthesia
  • Like 1

You have my sympathy. DD has her intermediate tap exam at the weekend and for various reasons we are having to do it at another school some substantial distance away. Has she got her stuff ready? What do you think!? But if I do anything she will throw a wobbler and complain about being treated like a child. I try to bite my lip and remind myself that I was a teenager once too....

And on the whole, I think our dancing children are better organised than their peers without similar interests - heaven help their parents!

• Like 1

Don't get me started.....once DS managed to lose his ballet bag containing ALL of his dance stuff at WL SS on the 1st day ??? Another time he called me from school as he lost his (street) shoes and couldn't get home....How on earth do you manage to lose your street shoes ?!

• Like 1

Agree on all counts... But I also know how i was when I was a child. Let's not expect our children to be organised when we most likely were not! As parents we see the other side and think our children will 'use their common sense' and look after things ...did we at their age?

I look back at what I put my parents thru...and I love my mum and dad!

• Like 2

To be fair, I'm heading for 50 and I had a bizarre shoe loss incident recently, when one of my uniform shoes disappeared from the changing room at work. To fully understand the weirdness of this, you first have to know that I have freakily small feet (1.5) so nobody could possibly mistake mine for their own. And who would move only one?? The domestics turned the changing room upside down looking for it but it never re appeared. Very peculiar. So I do have some sympathy with the shoe losers!

And then of course there's the washing machine sock eater monster!  

Seriously though what I find wierd is the amount of stuff in our lost property that no-one has ever claimed!  Outdoor shoes and coats, pointe shoes, leather flamenco shoes, character shoes, ballet slippers, leotards and even school sweatshirts (I suppose they presume those have been left at regular school not at ballet) overflow our boxes of stuff left behind in the changing room or studio. They're expensive things - why don't they even notice they're missing?

• Like 2

Sadly a familiar scenario today is that of the child with two homes because of divorce and the ballet kit always seems to be in the wrong parent's house or car.  I should tell them off - after all it's still their responsibility to know where their ballet stuff is, but somehow I can't....... 

A few years back I was sitting waiting for dd's class to go in, and a chap came along to collect his little dd. He asked the teacher if he could buy the whole ballet kit, including character shoes and skirt, and afterwards the teacher told me that it was because she spent every other weekend with dad, so they needed two lots of ballet clothes and shoes - one set for each house.

Oh dear :( my DD is a bit forgetful but I've severely drummed into her about being more organised, putting stuff away and it's become a bit of an obsession. She's got much better lately but the things we lose most are water bottles.. Somehow we can't conquer that one!!

We have had instances where other children have picked up her stuff by mistake and then only realised a month or so later ... Grr!

I'm forever checking her stuff and I'd like to think if she came home with other peoples stuff she or I would notice fairly quickly.

:(

• Like 1

A few years back my DD “lost” her only pair of soft block shoes. I asked her to check at the studio when she went to her lesson the following week and she “found” them.

She then started complaining that they didn’t fit properly and she needed a new pair before her upcoming exam, which was a week away. I thought this was odd as I was fairly certain that her feet had stopped growing. After a close look at the shoes and I realized that they were not hers! The ribbon stitching was different, they were ½ a size smaller and I’d named DD’s inside. The trouble was we didn’t know whom this pair belonged to. To make matters worse I couldn’t buy a new pair as nowhere had a pair DD’s size in stock.

After a few tears and a terse conversation, DD agreed to approach her very strict teacher and explain her dilemma. It transpired that there were three students with very similar size feet and they had all inadvertently swapped their shoes!

It all worked out well in the end as DD’s shoes were returned ASAP, the day before her exam.

Dd lost a named school t shirt after PE (can't remember what she came home in!)- no-one could find it. Then 6 months later a parent found it at the bottom of their ironing pile..... the worst bit is that they're none iron t-shirts and really do dry perfectly smooth....

I must be so lucky! From the age of 8 my DD insisted on looking after her own kit, giving me items that needed washing, replacing and keeping everything in the same pockets, tubs and tins so that she knew where everything was. The night before she would 'stock check' her dance bag. Every day I would say 'have you got this, have you got that' and she would always reply 'yes Mum!' including auditions and performances. I agree with Guesty because I was/am just as much as a control freak as she is. Now my youngest DD? That's a different story and I sympathise with you all, I just think she takes after her Dad ((;

When my DD was in reception class she went swimming with school and they always had to hurry to get changed. One day, DD came home wearing a school T-shirt (un named) with her school dress on top. She had dressed in a real hurry. What we couldn't understand was whose clothing it was as the teacher knew nothing about it when we handed the tshirt in at school the next day!

Unorganised and slobby! Earlier this year I decided to spring clean my dd's bedroom. On pulling out the chest of drawers I found what I can only describe as a nest of dead bun nets. The little monkey had been poking them down the back of the furniture as too lazy to put them in the bin.

I was briefly a Receptionist at secondary school where one of my tasks was Lost Property.  After every lunch I would strap lost blazers, jumpers etc to the register with elastic bands, so that they found their rightful owner.  For larger items I would send a note via the register and at break the children would come to fetch them.  One young man collected his coat and I found it at the end of the same day draped casually over a fence!  Worst horrors were the rugby and hockey socks, they were awful, covered in mud, smelly, but this was nothing to the changing rooms at a well known very expensive boys boarding school.  I accompanied dd when her school had use of the swimming pool; when I took the children to the toilets there were these little piles of lost swimming trunks, well that's what I think they were, I didn't get too close, I'm shuddering just remembering.

Edited by porthesia