Vent about unorganised children.

Picturesinthefirelight

My dd stuff all labelled and 3 years after losing a leotard in school wash it was returned to her in next house - useless as they change uniform every year. The following term a long lost under leotard was returned luckily still useable.

Like Nanalily dd she also 'lost' bed linen but that turned up a few months later, someone else had been using it! So not always the child's fault.

I used to work in a little coffee shop frequented by pupils from the local public school. I was forever phoning reception to say so & so has left their blazer, coat etc. After one such call a very fraught young man came down in his break to collect his blazer having been in trouble at school for causing us inconvience - he couldn't understand it as hadn't been in for weeks and as now sixth form wore a suit anyway. A couple of hours later an earlier customer( local GP) turned up to retrieve the blazer she had left on the back of the chair whilst she went for her hair appointment. She was wearing the blazer handed onto her son that he had grown out of as in a hurry that morning. She thought it would be OK to leave it on a chair for a few hours rather than take with her as had to pass coffee shop to get back to her car. So she either totally trusted every person in town walking past shop or was laying claim to the outside table for later in day.

As a ballet teacher who also ends up with lost property can I make a plea - NAMES IN EVERYTHING! It is then easy to return the item to its owner.  Unnamed items are often not claimed.

Hear hear! I get children saying oh but my cardigan, shoe, skirt etc has loose stitching, another name ( if it's second hand) certain size etc. I have to point out that whilst they may be able to identify their items,I can't if there is no name!

Crossovers are the worst...

This is all normal to me ! I have 5 daughters ( only the youngest took dance to vocational level and is now living in London). Four have their own homes which are completely organised and spotless. This was far from the case when they were teenagers - floor as a wardrobe, lost things etc, they were extremely relaxed so I let them be responsible for their own rooms. It does pass and surprisingly, I actually missed the mess when they moved on, hopefully they'll look back on their carefree teenage years  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Even worse is finding a contact lens that somehow ended up stuck to the bathroom mirror.... Guilty as charged, whoops ;)

But I can definitely sympathise with rants about disorganisation- my room was always immaculate but it never stopped me from losing stuff (I think I must have been the most frequent visitor to the lost property box in primary school!)

• Like 1

Remembering to go and look in the lost property box is a good thing from my point of view. I have bought my son two new hoodies for school this year. He knows they're the only ones he's getting this year. After loosing both last year and spending most of the year getting by on two short sleeved polo shirts because he wouldn't go to reception to look in the lost property box I hope he's learnt his lesson!

• Like 1