Fund Raising Appeals by Ballet Companies

I am sure that most of us, from time to time, have received various pleas from ballet/dance companies asking for donations for specific projects (often pointe shoes), to support a new production, or for more general purposes.

However, today I had a letter from BRB's Individual Giving Manager (together with a campaign leaflet fronted by Darcey Bussell) which went a stage further. I could opt out (by dialling a given number) but, otherwise, the company's representatives (presumably professional fund-raisers) would telephone me on one of a given number of dates no doubt to press me for money.

This felt like a 'bridge too far' to me. Am I being over-sensitive?

• Like 2

Funnily enough I haven't received such a letter or phone call but I know others who have.

I think this campaign has been going on for at least a year.

I think it is a step too far, but I think other companies (and not just ballet) are also doing things like this.  I had a phone call from the Liverpool Everyman/Playhouse earlier this year along similar lines.

I am sure that most of us, from time to time, have received various pleas from ballet/dance companies asking for donations for specific projects (often pointe shoes), to support a new production, or for more general purposes.

However, today I had a letter from BRB's Individual Giving Manager (together with a campaign leaflet fronted by Darcey Bussell) which went a stage further. I could opt out (by dialling a given number) but, otherwise, the company's representatives (presumably professional fund-raisers) would telephone me on one of a given number of dates no doubt to press me for money.

This felt like a 'bridge too far' to me. Am I being over-sensitive?

Not in the slightest.  Thanks for letting us know - I'd received the letter yesterday, skimmed it, but had obviously missed the threat of being rung by fundraisers.  If they ring me using details I'd provided in good faith when booking they stand a very good chance of losing any goodwill and any contribution I might otherwise have made.

• Like 10

I also think I'm going to move this into one of the more general forums, because I'm not sure how many people will spot it "down here".

Just to clarify: if I give a company/venue my phone number and other details (frequently demanded on the basis that I can't proceed with a booking etc. unless I do so) it is on the assumption that they will be used only if necessary in relation to my booking and/or to alert me to other things which might be of interest.  I don't expect to be leaving myself open to intrusive phone calls.

• Like 18

I agree that it is a step too far. I think it reveals the effects of the current government's view of the arts and their significance.Unfortunately we don't live in a country which believes that the arts in all their forms should be available to everyone.A very "nanny state" idea I know.The government's refusal to fund the arts adequately can, of course, be presented as a sad necessity caused by the mistakes of others but it strikes me that it has far more to do with the innate philistinism of a significant part of the governing elite.After all while male politicians are more than happy to reveal their love of football, in some cases a highly improbable enthusiasm, you don't hear many them express a love of theatre or cinema and to say you enjoyed opera or ballet would probably amount to political suicide. You can conjure up the horrendous headlines and the practically write the story.I have a funny feeling that the last politician who expressed any enthusiasm for the arts was Jenny Lee but then of course she had impeccable credentials and was very much pre Murdoch.

I'm afraid I don't believe in the hairshirt policies being pursued by the Chancellor. But we live in a society in which everything is evaluated in purely cash terms.As far as the arts are concerned it's a case of if you love it so much pay for it.After all it is so easy to portray the serious arts as the reserve of a privileged elite who have money and whose pastimes are being subsidised by the poor. The fact that the arts have to do more and more to cover their costs through donations and ticket sales means of course that they are less accessible to people who have little or no experience of theatre, ballet and opera and are discouraged from trying them because of the cost and the idea that they are not for them and would feel out of place.The result of the decreasing subsidy element in companies' finances means that the arts become the preserve of the initiated who had access to them from a relatively early age.

I suspect that if a survey of the arts audience were to be undertaken it would reveal that the vast majority had started theatre going when young,had received a broad education which had an arts bias and had higher educational attainments than the average member of their age cohort.I suspect that this is more true of the current audience than it was thirty years ago and is likely to get worse.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 8

I have been a supporter of SWRB/BRB since 1982 and this is the company I follow most closely. Although I accept fully that all forms of subsidy are been squeezed I am totally fed up of their constant attempts to extract money. We have point shoe appeals, director appeals etc ad nauseum and the one that really galls me, please leave us some money in your will.

I remember a very long and slightly rancourous telephone call with one of their professional fund raises who was trying to pressurise me into increasing my direct debits.

I have got to the stage now that if they contact me by the method you describe and they ring me again I will cancel all my debits and probably not renew my Friends' subscription. Until they reorganised the membership alphabetically I was BRB Friends number 6. I was very proud of that and often wondered if I was 'in the Village'.

Although I do love the company I am fed up of just being viewed as a potential cash cow. The Friends of the Hippodrome are nothing like as agressive.

If they want to get more money out of me they should publish advance casting so I have time to make an informed decision when buying additional tickets.

• Like 3

"..one of their professional fundraisers.."(post # 6): that's part of the problem IMHO. We now have a whole new industry of these, doing what was previously done in-house, supposedly less efficiently but I wonder how much damage this new way does. I certainly find it off-putting so in my case it's counter-productive.

As was a missive from English National Ballet last year thanking me for attending their"Coppélia" the previous week - in large letters across the front of the A5 envelope. Thanks to that announcement to my rather Philistine household, I now have less time and money available to spend on ballet.

I'm afraid I don't believe in the hairshirt policies being pursued by the Chancellor. But we live in a society in which everything is evaluated in purely cash terms.

the old adage of "knows the cost of everthing but the value of nothing" has never rung so true

• Like 5

Is anyone able to throw any light on David Bintley's continued reluctance to publish casting details until the last moment? I  think I recall that when he introduced the policy he said that people booked for the company not specific dancers.I have always thought that the policy was entirely wrong headed and almost certainly has had an adverse impact on ticket sales. During Peter Wright's directorship the company was able to give casting details several months in advance and he clearly thought it was necessary to give that information to  the public.Did David Bintley think that the company or the ballet going public had been transformed in some way when he took it over? 

We all know that you take a chance on who you will actually see when you book for specific casts because people sustain injury and fall ill but that is not a reason for not publishing those details.I have bought tickets for the mixed bill because I want to see it and I can only manage two of the performances but as far as Swan Lake is concerned I want to know who is dancing before I part with my money.  

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

Unfortunately, many charities (and ballet companies are charities) have resorted to heavy pressure tactics in their attempts to fundraise. In the long run, these tactics will become counter-productive but they must work in the short run otherwise the charities would not adopt them. Having to opt out of a fundraising telephone call is unacceptable (IMO). Fundraisers operate on the basis that previous / existing donors are receptive to further requests for donations. They seem to have no concept these people have already been generous and don't want to be put under pressure to give more.

• Like 4

Hi FLOSS given the problems the company has with triple bills you would think he would at least offer casting for those. He has some real crowd pleases, Bracewell, Lawrence, Gittens, Singleton etc for whom I would willingly shell out for an extra ticket. I suppose the converse is that there are also one or two I would pay money to avoid.

Either way I don't think he will budge from this. When I was secretary of BRB Friends I was Tasked with sending bouquets to each of the soloists for Birthday Offering the night he took over the company. I remember writing in and asking for the cast list as I said that having one bouquet addressed to Miss Gelfand and 6 others addressed 'to whom it may concern' would rather spoil the effect rather. I was given the casting just in time to write the appropriate cards.

• Like 1

Is anyone able to throw any light on David Bintley's continued reluctance to publish casting details until the last moment? I  think I recall that when he introduced the policy he said that people booked for the company not specific dancers.I have always thought that the policy was entirely wrong headed and almost certainly has had an adverse impact on ticket sales. During Peter Wright's directorship the company was able to give casting details several months in advance and he clearly thought it was necessary to give that information to  the public.Did David Bintley think that the company or the ballet going public had been transformed in some way when he took it over? 

We all know that you take a chance on who you will actually see when you book for specific casts because people sustain injury and fall ill but that is not a reason for not publishing those details.I have bought tickets for the mixed bill because I want to see it and I can only manage two of the performances but as far as Swan Lake is concerned I want to know who is dancing before I part with my money.  

This is somewhat off topic but I believe David Bintley's intention was that people should want to book to see the company rather than specific dancers.  I think that was his aspiration rather than assuming that the change took place when he took over.

Because I have nearly always had to travel to see lots of ballet and because I was working, I have always had to take pot luck with whom I would be seeing and it has never bothered me.  When the casting is published, if there is another cast I want to see, time and money permitting I book another performance.

I don't like the concept of having to actively opt out of receiving a phone call.

Hi Janet my argument about that is that I am afraid I am very picky about the seats I will accept at the Hippodrome. Much as I love the place I think it should be admitted that some of the sightings are pretty dreadful and the circle is not great for leg room. The company does visit theatres which are better served. Plymouth is one, I would suspect The Lowry is another. I know my years of touring are way behind me but I am afraid I am very unlikely to travel to another city without knowing whom I at least expected to see.

I genuinely admire your wholehearted support of the company and your appreciation of everything you see. I think I am just a bit too jaded now. I have booked for the opening night of Swan Lake as part of my subscription. I have a pretty good idea who will be the first cast and that it won't be Celine and Tyrone nor will it be an interesting debut. If I knew in time that, for example, Brandon Lawrence was doing the Thursday matinee I would willingly stump up for a second visit. Of course, Bintley's point about seeing the company is vindicated by the fact that by the time the casting is announced it will all be sold out anyway.

Heigh ho

If I knew in time that, for example, Brandon Lawrence was doing the Thursday matinee I would willingly stump up for a second visit.

Oh heck, when *is* the Thurs matinee?  I'd forgotten I needed to take that into consideration.

Is anyone able to throw any light on David Bintley's continued reluctance to publish casting details until the last moment?

I've assumed that, recently at least, it's been because of the situation with knowing about availability of the ballerinas.

Having to opt out of a fundraising telephone call is unacceptable (IMO).

I quite agree.  It's also a good point that people who have already given may not appreciate being pressurised to give more.  I'm trying to remember whether I have in fact technically donated specifically to BRB in the past.  If not, then we're back to the situation of my data being used for purposes I would probably never have accepted had I known.

I received the leaflet but it went in the recycling and I missed the part about having to opt out of a phone call. However I think they did something similar last year and I just didn't answer my phone when I saw the 0121 number flash up.

I am very sympathetic to the pressures that these companies are under regarding funding and hope that people won't judge or react too harshly if they get a call.

I received the leaflet but it went in the recycling and I missed the part about having to opt out of a phone call. However I think they did something similar last year and I just didn't answer my phone when I saw the 0121 number flash up.

I am very sympathetic to the pressures that these companies are under regarding funding and hope that people won't judge or react too harshly if they get a call.

Please excuse my saying so, tabitha, but didn't you react very harshly yourself by not answering the phone at all?

I can't say that I've been pursued on the phone by Dance companies but, Lord knows, there have been many similar calls.  So, last November, we invested about £60 to acquire a BT Call Guardian phone system and that has eliminated all such unwanted calls.  The system requires that you tap-in those contact names & numbers that you will accept and these come straight through.  Other unidentified calls are challenged and, if they choose, they can be put through for you to accept or not, as you decide.  However, we have had no computer generated or other unsolicited calls since changing to this system.

Unfortunately, many charities (and ballet companies are charities) have resorted to heavy pressure tactics in their attempts to fundraise. In the long run, these tactics will become counter-productive but they must work in the short run otherwise the charities would not adopt them..

I have often wondered who succumbs to these tactics and come to the uncomfortable conclusion that some charities are probably taking advantage of vulnerable people such as the elderly. A friend had to complain that a chugger had obtained her 16 year olds bank details. Yes they did refund the money but not everyone has someone to check up on them

Edited by Moomin
  • Like 1

It gets to be a vicious cycle because the ballet companies must pay for the services of these professional fundraisers, and I don't think those services come cheap. When you see the small percentage of funds that actually get used by some of the big charities, it does make you wonder whether ballet companies would be better off arranging to have their cold calls done by volunteers who are supporters of the company and can chat knowledgeably about the company and the dancers to the people they call. I'm getting so fed up with calls (not about ballet companies, just general bloody nonsense) from Fred, Bert, and George with their heavy Indian accents, who barely speak English, don't know what they're talking about, and won't get off their script. I think I'd be more inclined to give if the caller was a long-standing Friend of the ballet company who knew about the financial problems inherent in running a world-class company and could connect on a more personal level than just yapping off the points on a script.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 4

I have the same concerns as Moomin, and am rather surprised that a registered charity like BRB is comfortable with this type of fund raising at a time when four other major charities, Oxfam, the NSPCC, the British Red Cross and Macmillan Cancer Support  are under investigation by the Information Commissioner's Office for allegedly making unsolicited calls to people who are registered with the Telephone Preference Service. Offcom, too, have recently warned of the anxiety and distress such calls can cause to the vulnerable.

It is very sad that Arts organisations have to resort to his type of fundraising. Floss has made some good points about public subsidy and education, but I don't think there are likely to be any changes in those areas any time soon. 

I wouldn't want to make any party political points, but I have just been reading Jeremy Corbyn's policy for the Arts, which does make very interesting reading - whatever your political viewpoint. When was last time you heard a politician actually mention dance?

James

four other major charities, Oxfam, the NSPCC, the British Red Cross and Macmillan Cancer Support  are under investigation by the Information Commissioner's Office for allegedly making unsolicited calls to people who are registered with the Telephone Preference Service.

Ah.  I wonder whether that is in any way linked to the fact that there were a load of red balloons and people in red T-shirts with, perhaps, leaflets standing outside my local Red Cross charity shop this morning when I went past?  I was on the other side of the road, so didn't get any further information.

I have just had an unexpected opportunity to tell the folks at BRB that their latest fund-raising approach somewhat missed the mark with me.

I also found myself suggesting that an approach which focused on BRB's 'upgrade' being about developing the stars of the future even more (e.g. Brandon Lawrence, William Bracewell, Celine Gittins and Matthias Dingman) could bear fruit and have the additional benefit of promoting these wonderful dancers. Darcey Bussell is already over-exposed as far as I am concerned, especially in appeal material (well, on TV as well if I'm honest).

• Like 5

I agree that this is indeed a step too far.  My elderly mother seems to understand the problem and has got quite good at fending off the unwanted calls she receives, which mercifully are few.  However, a friend's mother, who is rather vulnerable seems to have got onto a "sucker" list and is bombarded with calls, twenty in one morning for example.  My friend is in despair!   

However, a friend's mother, who is rather vulnerable seems to have got onto a "sucker" list and is bombarded with calls, twenty in one morning for example.  My friend is in despair!   

20???  My goodness.  I could understand how that might have led to those suicides we read about recently in the press.  Can't your friend get her mother on the Telephone Preference Service, or won't that help?  Poor woman.

I am, however, concerned that, as we digress from the original topic, it be clear that nobody is suggesting that BRB, or for that matter any other dance company, is using such tactics.

Telephone preference doesn't seem to make much difference - we have had it at home for years but still get several calls a week.  My friend is hoping that little by little it will tail off.  If someone calls when she is there she tells them off in no uncertain terms, and insists her mothers details are removed from their records.

No, I am not suggesting any dance company is using such tactics, but I feel what they are doing is likely to alienate people. 

also, I'm curious to know why a ballet company suggesting you think about naming them in your will is offensive? This is quite standard practice over here in N America, and it seems to make sense to me. The National Ballet of Canada cultivates its "planned giving" (as it's known in the fundraising biz) and every year organizes nice events for people who have named them in their will or made them a beneficiary of their life insurance policy. They have an afternoon tea with a speaker (that would be me, ahem), and they get to watch rehearsal at another event. The ballet company receives a number of gifts, sometimes very substantial ones, as bequests each year.

• Like 1

.. every year organizes nice events for people who have named them in their will or made them a beneficiary of their life insurance ..

I'm not sure I'd want to go to an event where the host is financially motivated to hope I won't be able to turn up !  :D

• Like 4