Fund Raising Appeals by Ballet Companies

I did take issue with receiving a leaflet from the ROH suggesting I leave them something in my will, it was my first communication from them after I joined as a friend, and they knew I was under 30 as I had joined as an Insider. It was fairly effective in making me feel they mostly viewed friends as cash cows, and made me think they could probably save some money of they reviewed some of their processes.

They also recently sent me a brochure saying that as they'd noticed I very often book a specific seat, maybe I'd like to name it. The reason I often book that seat is that it costs 15 or less depending on the performance, that could have been a clue that I might not have GBP 1,500.00 to spend on a tiny plaque affixed to it.

• Like 9

... I very often book a specific seat, maybe I'd like to name it. The reason I often book that seat is that it costs 15 or less depending on the performance, that could have been a clue that I might not have GBP 1,500.00 to spend on a tiny plaque affixed to it.

For £5k you can have your name tattooed on a First Soloist ;)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

It gets to be a vicious cycle because the ballet companies must pay for the services of these professional fundraisers, and I don't think those services come cheap. When you see the small percentage of funds that actually get used by some of the big charities, it does make you wonder whether ballet companies would be better off arranging to have their cold calls done by volunteers who are supporters of the company and can chat knowledgeably about the company and the dancers to the people they call.

I got caught by the BRB fundraisers recently.  I think from what he said that they are paying them something less than £6K and aiming to get something in the region of £48K in donations, so I suppose it's worthwhile if they hit their targets.

Just to clarify: if I give a company/venue my phone number and other details (frequently demanded on the basis that I can't proceed with a booking etc. unless I do so) it is on the assumption that they will be used only if necessary in relation to my booking and/or to alert me to other things which might be of interest.  I don't expect to be leaving myself open to intrusive phone calls.

Unfortunately, because I was caught unprepared, I'd forgotten my reasoning, so didn't tell the guy this :(