Ann Maguire Gala: London, March 2015

Was at the dress rehearsal for the gala - we had two pieces to photograph, and not in full costume, but it was still fab! Here are a couple of samples...

16710310619_7841dcb239_z.jpg
Lieder pdd (Alastair Marriott) - Melissa Hamilton, Gary Avis
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

16870552946_9d6d4ac994_z.jpg
Qualia pdd (Wayne McGregor) - Olivia Cowley, Edward Watson
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Ann Maguire Gala
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

Ann Maguire Arts Education Fund (funding youngsters in artistic endeavours) setup by her family as a tribute to her life, so sadly taken last year. More here: http://www.annmaguire.org/"

To contribute, go here:   https://www.justgiving.com/ann-maguire/

• Like 7

The running order tonight was:-

Monotones ll - Arestis, Kish and Hirano

Memoria - Miguel Altunaga

Les Lutins - Maguire, Hay and Sambe

Lieder - Hamilton and Avis

Qualia, pas de deux - Cowley and Watson

Rhapsody, pas de deux - Morera and Bonelli

Flames of Paris - Choe and Campbell

Musance - Calvert, Choe, McNally, Acri and Sambe

2nd Movement pas de deux - Asphondel Meadows - Maguire and Gartside

Czardas - McRae

Two Pigeons - pas de deux - Crawford and Hirano

Borrowed Light - Sambe

No Mans Land - pas de deux - Cojocaru and Kobberg

Requiem - Pie Jesu - Choe

I hope the artists don't mind me just using their surnames, no disrespect intended.

The show was topped and tailed by Darcey and Jonathan Cope and Emma joined them at the end and made a lovely speech.

The whole evening was wonderful with some thrilling dancing from Steven doing his tap dance routine, boy can he tap dance.

In the Musance the dancers were joined by the Hackney Colliery Band who made the whole thing such fun.

Sorry, but stand out for me was seeing Alina dance with Johan again, first time I have seen them together since that night at the RB and Mayerling ( never forget that ). It is the most beautiful piece and I was sitting close enough to see Alina's genuine tears at the end of the performance.

What was also especially lovely was to see some of the RB soloists up front and centre, they all danced beautifully.

A magical night produced by Emma, assisted by Yuhui, and many many congratulations to them and everyone involved - I am sure Emma's mum was watching with tears in her eyes.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 15

It was a truly wonderful, magical evening, with everyone giving their all to such amazing effect. It was all very emotional, but I too had a tear in my eye seeing Johan and Alina dance again, and so movingly. It brought back so many memories of their great performances, and their special artistry is still there. Ann Maguire would be so very proud of her daughter and everyone involved in making this such a special event in her memory. I wish the foundation all the success in the world.

• Like 10

Wonderful to attend a gala that was not stuffed full of the empty technical display pieces that are usually trotted out on such occasions. Without a tutu in sight this was a gala with more quality choreography than is usual. The pieces and excerpts ranged from Vianonen's 1930's Flames of Paris to works by Watkins and Scarlett. If McRae provided the wow factor with an extremely musically adept tap dance there were short sections from Asphodel Meadows, Rhapsody and Two Pigeons and all of Monotones II to remind the audience of the sheer beauty of classical dance.The entire programme had clearly been chosen with great care to display an exceptionally wide range of choreographic styles. It would be nice if every gala programme was chosen with such care and danced with such commitment, skill and artistry.

• Like 11

It sounds wonderful. I knew Emma and Kerry and Anne very well as a student and much to my sorrow I was unable to attend this evening. I think in my personal mental state I would not have coped very well but knowing that such a beautiful thing was happening was very heartwarming. I am so proud of Emma's strength. What a huge credit to an amazing beautiful lady. Thank you for sharing the information.

• Like 8

Just to endorse what has been said above. A really enjoyable, special evening.

Although not all the dancers listed on the ROH website actually appeared, everyone in the excellent programme did and performed what they were down to perform. This, in itself, is very rare for Galas and says much for the affection in which Emma must be held, dancers' identification with the project, and the team spirit engendered.

I agree that it was nice not to have the usual diet of pas de deux but i have to confess to liking best the more vibrant pieces (Les Lutins; Flames of Paris; Musance, Czardas - McRae absolutely amazing) and the more dramatic ones (Requiem, No Man's Land pas de deux - Cojocaru reminding everyone just how special she is). It was lovely, also, to see Emma herself dancing - especially in Asphodel Meadows. Lieder (a piece by Marriott) was new to me and I was left wondering how I had missed it before. And as for Vasko Vasillev, the violinist, WOW!!!

One must not overlook the enormous amount of effort involved in bringing such a Gala to the stage but I was left hoping that Emma might be able to turn it into an annual event.

Edited to add how nice it was to see so many dancers and staff from the Royal Ballet and English National Ballet (and probably other companies as well) out in support and Akane Takada and Benjamin Ella waving collection buckets in the foyer.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

Although not all the dancers listed on the ROH website actually appeared, everyone in the excellent programme did and performed what they were down to perform. This, in itself, is very rare for Galas

And when you think of the lead time they must have had to print the programme, and the work pressure some of the dancers have been under, it's even more to be applauded.

• Like 3

One must not overlook the enormous amount of effort involved in bringing such a Gala to the stage but I was left hoping that Emma might be able to turn it into an annual event.

Well, it *is* referred to as "the inaugural", which does suggest that there will be more to come in the future. Perhaps once the dust has settled Emma and her production team will have a better idea of whether and how often they can repeat it. 

It was a really wonderful evening very varied but will have to report tomorrow. Steven McRae was absolutely fantastic in his czardas tap routine and got everybody smiling I think! But will write more tomorrow!

Well -  I was second to back row of second circle with my daughter - her first time to see such world class performers live - & it was so well worth the £25 ticket price! A stunning night & for such a good cause. Testament to the high esteem that Anne Maguire was held in that such a worthy Foundation & such an amazing fundraiser can have been established in so short a time after the terribly sad loss of this lady. What strength & what amazing vision from Emma Maguire & all other family, friends & supporters.I very much hope to support future events as I am sure this will be repeated. There was such love of dance & music emanating from the stage & auditorium alike - truly inspirational. Thank you.

• Like 7

I don't think I could say it better than Peanut68 as that was what I felt too.....Thankyou.

It was so well put together and what was good about this gala was I continually felt absorbed with what was going on and it never felt "bitty" as some galas can. Everybody seemed to be giving their all.

There were some very moving moments as when Emma danced in the pas de deux from Asphodel Meadows very beautifully performed with Bennet Gartside .....a moment reminding one of why we were all there......and very much wishing Annie Maguire could have been there still to see Emma's lovely dancing.

There were some beautiful moments too in the performance of Rhapsody by Laura Morera and Frederico Bonelli so at one with the music these two and more Ashton in the pas de deux from Two Pigeons danced by Helen Crawford and Ryoichi Hirano.......what a wonderful partner he is and please can we see more of this ballet at the ROH!! and Monotones with that gorgeous Satie music and way ahead of it time when choreographed I think. All of these such a treat just in themselves.

We were also treated to a World Premiere called Musance by Jonathon Watkins with the Hackney Colliery Band......very difficult to sit still too(apologies to whoever was next to me ......at least I was on the end of a row!) and lovingly danced I thought and Kristen McNally was a revelation in this but all were excellent. Would be great to see this again as I really liked the choreography too.

Ive already mentioned what a wow Steven McRae was in his Czardas piece with that fantastic violinist Vasko Vassilev who also played in an earlier very entertaining piece called Les Lutins all three dancers ....James Hay Marcelino Sambe and Emma managing to get the humour across superbly. Marcelino Sambe was in several pieces on Sunday and really danced his socks off.

We then had the wonderful Cojocaru dancing with Kobborg(who choreographed Les Lutins) in a piece called No Mans Land by Liam Scarlett.

As danced by Cojocaru this piece reminded me of why ballet is such a wonderful Art form.

She seemingly from out of the atmosphere was able to create the whole of life's emotions in a very short space of time. Heart wrenching and then that stillness at the end and then it was gone .....never to be seen again in exactly that way again. I think it is truly remarkable how good dancers can do this.

I haven't mentioned every piece or this post could be double the length..... but I did thoroughly enjoy every piece!

Each half of this Gala would have been worth it on its own so I do hope it has raised a substantial amount towards the Annie Maguire Fund and any other events planned with this quality would be very welcome indeed!!

• Like 4