Birmingham Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty (Wright), Spring Tour 2018

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was at the 2 performances yesterday.

In the afternoon we saw Miki Mizutani and Cesar Morales with Nao Sakuma as Carabosse and Arancha Baselga as LilacFairy.

In the evening we saw Delia Matthews and Brandon Lawrence with Jade Heuson as Carabosse and Yvette Knight as Lilac Fairy.

I thought Miki Mizutani was outstanding as Aurora. I had seen her a couple of weeks ago in Southampton and thought she was good. The critic Louise Levine gave her a good write up for that performance. However, yesterday she danced at a different level. Balances in the Rose Adagio were secure but the real pleasure was seeing her treat the music with respect.

• Like 4

I was also at the Thursday matinee and totally agree about Miki but would like to make a comment about Cesar. We read frequent,very justified rave reviews about Brandon and Tyrone, but Cesar does tend to get overlooked. He may not be BRB’s most charismatic male dancer but he surely must be their most elegant. Plus, it is obvious that he is a wonderful partner and must give great confidence to any ballerina dancing with him. I do so wish I could have seen his Spectre at Symphony Hall.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, George C said:

I was also at the Thursday matinee and totally agree about Miki but would like to make a comment about Cesar. We read frequent,very justified rave reviews about Brandon and Tyrone, but Cesar does tend to get overlooked. He may not be BRB’s most charismatic male dancer but he surely must be their most elegant. Plus, it is obvious that he is a wonderful partner and must give great confidence to any ballerina dancing with him. I do so wish I could have seen his Spectre at Symphony Hall.

An excellent point.

• Like 1

I was at Friday evening's performance. Peter Wright's version of Sleeping Beauty is quite simply the most gorgeous version I've ever seen! It moves along at a sparkling pace; I've seen versions where it has seemed interminable 'filling' of the score & I even admit to falling asleep in one once! 😴. 

Not so with this version!! Every bit of the dancing just perfectly flowing with and matching the music, played superbly by RB Sinfonia conducted by Koen Kessels. 

Momoko Hirata was superb as Aurora; technically brilliant, musical and magical. She portrayed such excited innocence in Act 1 and pure joy with Mathias Dingman's noble and adoring Prince, also beautifully danced by him.

Fabulous performances all round from the whole cast, including Nao Sakuma's terrifying Carabosse and Yvette Knight's serenely elegant Lilac.

The costumes in this production are just gorgeous. Sitting in the front row I was marvelling all the way through at the detail. 

Anyway, roll on my second show of my trip to Brum, the Delia/Brandon matinee 👍😁.

This really is an excellent production and perfectly showcases the huge range of talent in BRB.

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 8

Just back from today's matinee. I'm not going to give a full report, but just wanted to say a few things.

Firstly, I'm not a regular at Birmingham Hippodrome so can't gauge if this is normal, but I thought that there was a tremendous buzz about the theatre which IMO made up for the annoyances of rustling sweet papers, unmuffled coughing fits and chatting through the prelude to Act 2. We like to sound off on here about such things, but if they are the price to pay for an engaged, excited and above all large audience then I'm happy!

I thought Delia Mathews made a very dynamic Aurora, bursting with energy and attitude in her entrance and secure in the Rose Adagio. So I mean no disrespect to her when I say that as soon as Brandon Lawrence appeared, it was near impossible for me to look anywhere else!  I'm trying to think of a more charismatic male dancer working today but I'm failing: someone please suggest some names, and while you're at it, give me a list of his weaknesses so that I can make sense of his not being a principal already!

One other thing I'd like to mention is Celine Gittens' Fairy of Joy, making light work of the technical challenges. Though in the fairy ensemble number I did spot symptoms of a condition I call "Principal's Leg", identifiable by rather higher extensions and attitudes than the less senior dancers in the line-up :)

• Like 10

I remember coming out of a BRB show with a friend a couple of years ago, and we both turned to one another and said simultaneously just  'Brandon Lawrence!!!'

I had never heard of him at the time.

He makes the impact. It's really hard to describe...but I think it's the great precision of his dancing, with a quality the best dancers have of almost imprinting the air- it must be precision of movement, and being exactly with the music and the tempo and completely engaged.

Wish I could see this. Great to read the reports anyway.

• Like 9

The performance of Brandon that I remember really noticing first was when he was playing the cymbals in Hobson's Choice during the Salvation Army pas de six.  Once he got going whichever poor soul who was dancing barely got a look in.  I suppose it is heresy to wish for him to be doing the same next season.   I hope he is well beyond cymbaldom by then.

• Like 4

I have just come back to London after 4 performances at the Hippodrome. There wasn't a dud performance anywhere, but, to me, Brandon Lawrence and Delia Mathews were peaches and ream. Beyond Gorgeous. Also loved Hirata/Dingman - faultless and Mizutani/Morales. I would echo the remarks made about Cesar Morales, a superbly classical dancer. Mizutani, despite a little nervousness in the Rose Adagio, clearly has everything going for her in technique and sweet personality.

Bouquets too for all the Lilac Fairies and Carabosses. The Bluebirds showed how much Max Maslen has come on in technique and authority and exactly why Beatrice Parma should be promoted. Also glorious were Gittens/Atsuji and, of course. Monahan and Shang. What was obvious at all performances was that this is the most logical, best designed and coherent production of Sleeping Beauty round, and I hope that Sir Peter thought so last Friday night. The audiences, a little non-plussed at firs,t warmed to this company and this standard of performance and production, genuinely cheering at the end of each performance. And the orchestra was in magnificent form too.

I wish I could see other casts, but what a lovely company this is - and so hard working, everyone except that night's principals dancing multiple roles.

Pity then that out "national" ballet critics cannot make the journey to see them. Unfortunately it is not only their loss.

• Like 12

There is a rather grudging review in the Mail on Sunday.  Rupert Christiansen praises the orchestra and says 'the dancing is of good overall standard' (how patronising is that?).  He liked Momoko Hirata but describes Mathias Dingman as 'endearingly preppy'.

He has reservations about the 2nd act but raved about Nao Sakuma as Carabosse, whom he says stole the show.

He really isn't that big a fan of BRB but I suppose at least he made the effort to get to the Hippodrome.

57 minutes ago, Sim said:

Isn't he an opera critic?

Telegraph for opera; Mail for ballet.

I often feel that critics are out of their own personal comfort zones when outside London and their perceptions can vary accordingly.

Maybe the  BRB principals would receive fairer reviews if they were guesting with the RB? Now, there's a thought. Why not the occasional swap between companies?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barnes2 said:

The audiences, a little non-plussed at firs,t warmed to this company and this standard of performance and production, genuinely cheering at the end of each performance.

I'm curious as to why the audiences were non-plussed- isn't this BRBs home theatre? and they perform there all year round..so...

Thanks for the review.

I know what Barnes2 means - I heard some remarks around me which made it clear that for many this was only their first or second trip to the ballet and that they weren't familiar with a lot of the conventions that many on the forum have stopped even noticing.  I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but I'm really impressed that BRB and the Hippodrome had persuaded so many to dip their toes in.

• Like 7

Thanks Lizbie 1. You understood exactly what I meant. Beauty has little plot and has lots of marches, divertissements (those bloody cats!!!) that build slowly, set pieces, that are quite unlke the freer flow of Romeo, or even Giselle and Coppelia.  BRB's performances just carried the audience along. And there were lots of;people in the audience who were new to ballet, probably persuaded to come bu Nutcracker.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Nao Sakuma is WONDER WOMAN.

What a very special performance we were treated to this afternoon. She and Yasuo Atsuji were beyond sublime together.

Indeed, they were very good. A splendid appetiser  for the evening performance of Yvette Knight and Edivaldo Souza da Silva. The Rose Adagio was good. Secure if not long balances and the vision scene was beautifully danced. By Act 3 Yvette was in superb form. Any nerves at the beginning of her performance had totally disappeared. She hurled herself into the fish dives at tremendous speed and her final diagonal across the stage to end the pas de deus was breathtakingly fast. A wonderful debut. Regular visitors to BRB have been appreciating her dancing for some time and I think her time has arrived. Lac next?

• Like 4

I watched Tom Seligman conduct Winter's Tale for the RB cinema broadcast on Wendesday night, battled home in the snow, then six hours later, set off for a work course in Manchester. My hair froze on the way to the station (yes ladies, this is why they tell you not to go out with damp hair) and I felt very distinctly that I led an unglamorous life. So I did take solace when I arrived at the Lowry last night to see that Tom Seligman was conducting Sleeping Beauty! I like to think that even he, the owner of a glamorous conductor lifestyle, still had to trudge through the snow and wind with hair frozen into crispy strips and was also suffering from lack of sleep.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RHowarth said:

I watched Tom Seligman conduct Winter's Tale for the RB cinema broadcast on Wendesday night, battled home in the snow, then six hours later, set off for a work course in Manchester. My hair froze on the way to the station (yes ladies, this is why they tell you not to go out with damp hair) and I felt very distinctly that I led an unglamorous life. So I did take solace when I arrived at the Lowry last night to see that Tom Seligman was conducting Sleeping Beauty! I like to think that even he, the owner of a glamorous conductor lifestyle, still had to trudge through the snow and wind with hair frozen into crispy strips and was also suffering from lack of sleep.  

Hat's off to him!

But I'm surprised that he didn't fit in conducting Khan's Giselle in New Zealand for ENB in between! After all, it is with that company that he is most often seen :)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Kessels did the same a couple of weeks ago. Giselle at ROH followed by MATINEE next day of Beauty in Birmingham

Great performance last night from Yvette Knight as Aurora. Well worth the journey inspite of conditions. Am now zigzagging across the Xcountry network trying to get back to Bristol

• Like 5