A Little Princess

taxi4ballet

When one of my friends first babies was born mum and dad had trouble agreeing on a names!

In the end they came down to Helen (his choice) or Helena (her choice) if a girl and Jonathon(his choice) and Oberon(her choice!) if a boy......I did try to dissuade the Oberon choice I must say......as thought could cause trouble at school etc!

Anyway when the baby ....a girl...was born hubby went and registered the baby as Helen at the town hall and my friend was so furious this had been done without her that when they came to the christening she insisted that it was Helena .......I wasn't at the christening so don't know whether they had an argument in front of the vicar......so any way she was christened Helena!

I'm still not sure what's on her birth certificate but she was always known as Helena.

I don't think they had the same problem with the two others but they're still together anyway after 45 years!!

• Like 3

I should've put money on that ! I think it's a lovely choice of names (after Helen of course ;) ) Now that the baby has been born and named I can't wait for the General Election to be done with so that we can try and get back to normal ! x

• Like 2

My dh is not great at spelling. With my 2nd I was still in hospital when husband went to register as baby on special care. I double checked the spelling with him and felt very nervous until I saw the certificate! And it's a standard name - i wouldn't have coped if he had something complex to deal with!!

• Like 2

I'm Laura on my Birth Certificate, but the Minister misheard and Christened me Laurie.  Always been called Laura.

She could have been called Jean as the 2nd May was my mom's birthday.  My Grandma was a bit peeved because if my mom had been born on the same day as our Present Queen (born same year) they would apparently have been given a pram! 

If I was a betting woman I would have gone for Elizabeth or Victoria - shows why I don't bet!  Anyway, all in all, lovely name and I'm looking forward to all the lovely dresses.

• Like 3

My friend got a shock when her husband came back from registering their baby boy.  He remembered what first name they had chosen but drew a complete blank on the middle name so he registered him as "Fabulous" on the basis of whenever anyone asked his other children what they thought of their new baby brother they would reply "oh he's fab"

• Like 5

When my father went to have me registered, he surrendered to the clerk who didn’t accept my Swedish first name because it sounded like the abbreviation of a German name which wasn’t allowed then.

My middle name was approved of so I was registered with that and until today on everything official I have to sign with my middle name which nobody ever used and I never answered to. :angry:

• Like 1

I`m confused about something.[Not at all unusual for me]. Kate is the Duchess of Cambridge,right? But why did she put down on the baby`s birth certificate,"Princess of the United Kingdom".William put down "Prince of the United Kingdom".Well I know he`s a prince. Is she a princess as well as a Duchess? And if so then why isn`t she called Princess Katherine then?

When I saw it on the news, they said that was what was put down as their occupations.  

I'm not up on royal etiquette but I can't think of any royal brides or grooms apart from Diana who have been called Princess or Prince.  As married couples it seems more usual for them to be offered a title such as Duke and Duchess (where the groom is the royal) or Earl and Countess ( for example Lord Snowdon and Princess Margaret).  Some non-royal grooms do not have a title but I assume it is their choice.

• Like 1

It is to do with Katherine being a commoner. Whereas William was born royal and is a prince, Katherine is only a princess by marriage.She would be known as Princess William, much like Princess Michael of Kent. When/if Prince William becomes Prince of Wales, Katherine will be Princess Katherine of Wales as Diana was Princess Diana of Wales along with all the other titles. This title takes precedence over all the others. As I understand it, Camilla is currently Princess of Wales but for obvious reasons, she is not known by that title.

So, Katherine is by marriage, a princess, it is her top title and as such her occupation. But she is known as Duchess of Cambridge rather than Princess William and I can't really blame her. 

Please don't quote me on this as it is all from memory and I didn't check any of the facts before I posted. :wacko:

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I think it also has something to do with Camilla being known as Duchess of Cornwall and as she is married to the immediate heir, Catherine could not be seen to be out ranking her by taking the title of Princess when she & William married.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose siblings all had wonderful names - Columbine, Tristan, and one who was either Lysander or Demetrius, I forget which. I think their names must have informed their occupations, which included painter, ballet dancer and a thatcher (the roofing kind)! 

• Like 1

I think it also has something to do with Camilla being known as Duchess of Cornwall and as she is married to the immediate heir, Catherine could not be seen to be out ranking her by taking the title of Princess when she & William married.

Something along those lines, yes.

I`m confused about something.[Not at all unusual for me]. Kate is the Duchess of Cambridge,right? But why did she put down on the baby`s birth certificate,"Princess of the United Kingdom".William put down "Prince of the United Kingdom".Well I know he`s a prince. Is she a princess as well as a Duchess? And if so then why isn`t she called Princess Katherine then?

Catherine is the Duchess of Cambridge, but since married women take the rank of their husbands and since Prince William is a Prince of the United Kingdom, her rank as Princess of the United Kingdom follows from his. This precedent was set when Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon married the Duke of York (the future George VI), the first nonroyal bride in quite some time, and it was announced in The Times that she would be known as HRH The Duchess of York and would have the rank of a princess (I don't remember the exact wording and I can't find the link, but that was the general idea).

If William hadn't been given his dukedom, Catherine would be Princess William of Wales, and her status as a princess of the United Kingdom would be obvious. The dukedom makes it a bit more obscure but it doesn't alter the rank.

Jacqueline, you're right about Camilla being Princess of Wales at the moment but not using the title - however, when William becomes Prince of Wales, Catherine will become Princess of Wales, not Princess Catherine of Wales. Their daughter will be Princess Charlotte of Wales, though. Diana was never Princess Diana of Wales; she was HRH The Princess of Wales from the time of her marriage to her divorce, when she became Diana, Princess of Wales.

I spend way too much time in royalty groups over at Facebook.... :D

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2