A Little Princess

taxi4ballet

I didn't realise that Alice was the name of the Duke of Ed's mother so think this could be a strong contender.

I think the name Diana has become almost too iconic now for a first name but probably okay for a 2nd or 3rd name.

The other possible first name could be Alexandra

• Like 2

Just looking again at these ancient queens(some by marriage to the King etc) and another name has come to light which could be deemed a bit too political given the current situation and that is Matilda.

Matilda who was married to the son of William the Conqueror ....Henry 1st apparently united the Scots and English for about 200 years.....so a point could be made!!

• Like 1

Is this the Matilda who went to war against Stephen for the crown, which caused huge problems for all concerned?

When I saw your thread title, taxi, I assumed it related to the book, or the ballet!

• Like 1

No I think not!

She was around from 1080-1118 and born in Scotland though brought up at Romsey Abbey almost as a nun!!

Henry 1st married her because she was related to the Wessex line(don't ask....I'm hopeless at History) and as he was a Norman he thought that would make him more popular with the English.

To all accounts they were very happy together though he was often away fighting in France.

She surrounded herself with poets and musicians and was reputedly very kind and charitable and some sort her canonisation after her death......especially as she helped people with Leprosy.

She was interested in Architecture and was responsible...apparently...for the first arch bridge built at Stratford Le Bow in the UK.

She is also reputedly the "my fair lady" from the song "London Bridge is Falling Down"

She died on may 1st 1118.

Seems like an all round good egg and because of her marriage there was comparative peace between the English and Scots for a very long time.

I still think a Greek connection name might be nice like Philippa Helena or Sophia

This early Queen Philippa was also interesting and was the founder of one of the Oxford Colleges but quite feisty apparently accompanying the King ....one of the Edwards .....on his battles occasionally.

I always drove my friends mad years ago when they were naming their children .......putting forward yet more suggestions.....but haven't been able to do this for a number of years now!!! (Thank goodness they would say!!)

• Like 1

This has all been very worthy so far.  However, in doing a quick trawl of certain sites for tomorrow's Links, I'm afraid I've seen the first expression of joy that the papers will have "all those lovely little dresses" to look forward to. 

• Like 2

This has all been very worthy so far.  However, in doing a quick trawl of certain sites for tomorrow's Links, I'm afraid I've seen the first expression of joy that the papers will have "all those lovely little dresses" to look forward to. 

At least we will get a rest from photos of politicians on the front pages :wacko:

• Like 3

Happy birthday for yesterday Helen!

When it was announced on the radio yesterday that Kate had gone into hospital, I misheard and it sounded like she had gone into the Lido wing. I had a vision of one immense birthing pool! Congratulations to the Cambridges on the safe arrival of their daughter.

• Like 4

First of all love the new piccie Swanprincess!!

Just a final thought before it's probably announced later today.

Nobody has suggested Margaret!! I believe Princess Margaret was quite helpful and kindly to Diana originally when she joined the Royal Family so this may be remembered!!

Besides I think she looks a bit like a Margaret, Sophie or Alice not too fancy a name with those strong features!!

In the end though I hope they go for a name that they both really like even if it has no Royal connections at all!!

• Like 1

She even suits Barbara or Tabitha or Dorothy I think ........or how about Bathsheba to coincide with the film.......And I suppose Adelaide would please the Australians!!

Really must stop doing this ....a good job none of my close friends read this Forum or I'd be banished or shamed off the computer by now!!

Final choice: how about May Rose!! As she is a little Princess!

Really is the last comment.

Having made the connection with Australia and I think they seemed to have had a great time out there when they visited maybe it could be Victoria as this would probably keep a lot of people happy!!

I wish they'd hurry up and announce it the suspense could drive me mad if not gone already!!!

First of all love the new piccie Swanprincess!!

Just a final thought before it's probably announced later today.

Nobody has suggested Margaret!! I believe Princess Margaret was quite helpful and kindly to Diana originally when she joined the Royal Family so this may be remembered!!

Besides I think she looks a bit like a Margaret, Sophie or Alice not too fancy a name with those strong features!!

In the end though I hope they go for a name that they both really like even if it has no Royal connections at all!!

Thank you! :)

And yes, I think Sophie is a nice name too ;)

• Like 3