No problems with the system this morning (apart from the usual dearth of the cheaper stalls circle tickets).  In and out within 20 minutes, complete with order confirmation email.  Let's hope this is a promise of smooth booking times to come.

Edited to add "a" before promise.

EDIT: I've pulled all the posts on booking experiences together to make a new thread. Alison

Edited by alison
  • Like 2

I too got the seats I wanted in the main house - but found that the Insight events were not on sale!  It stated that they would be on sale from 10am.  I posted a message on the ROH site and they have apologised for the mistake.  Not a lot of consolation for those who were trying to get tickets, they are very difficult to get at the best of times (well actually almost impossible).

There did seem to be a large number of seats already taken when I logged on at 8am, not sure how many were retained until 10am when phone bookings started.

I only booked 4 tickets and after a dodgy start when someone else beat me to a seat by a split second, things were okay, now await the casting for Woolf Works to find out who I've actually booked to see, and of course to swap or book fror more!

I only booked 4 tickets and after a dodgy start when someone else beat me to a seat by a split second, things were okay, now await the casting for Woolf Works to find out who I've actually booked to see, and of course to swap or book fror more!

Do you have any reason to expect that there'll be more than one cast? 

Do you have any reason to expect that there'll be more than one cast?

One would hope so, given three performances scheduled on successive evenings. Personally, I hope RB management have put their collective foot down and insisted that McG has a *fully rehearsed* second cast AND covers (I don't want to see cancellations of the whole piece as we had with Two Tractors).

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get my ticket at 8am for the RBS annual, but the RBS tickets were pretty much all gone anyway so they must be sold to the parents first as there was not meant to be any Friends booking for those tickets.  Can understand that only fair to the students.  Happily I managed to get reasonably good ticket just a pity my train ticket won't be so cheap it being a Sunday!

Managed to get my ticket at 8am for the RBS annual, but the RBS tickets were pretty much all gone anyway so they must be sold to the parents first as there was not meant to be any Friends booking for those tickets.  Can understand that only fair to the students.  Happily I managed to get reasonably good ticket just a pity my train ticket won't be so cheap it being a Sunday!

Friends of The Royal Ballet School have a priority ballot for tickets (max 2 tickets for main stage and 2 tickets in total for Linbury).

• Like 1

Quick and easy booking this morning at 8am.  Actually managed to get a couple of stalls circle standing for one of the Afternoon of a Faun mixed bills, after a brief tussle with someone else trying to book the same tickets as me.  Also got confirmation of order within minutes.  Very impressive!

Yes, I had no difficulty booking my one ticket, for the 30th (I plan to exchange a couple of previously purchased tickets for tickets for Woolf Works) . I was surprised to see how few tickets were left for this performance.

Edited by aileen

Friends of The Royal Ballet School have a priority ballot for tickets (max 2 tickets for main stage and 2 tickets in total for Linbury).

In addition to this, I believe they can also get 2 extra Linbury tickets at public booking (but no extra main stage tickets).

I and a lady I was assisting had no technical problems today, but it's annoying to have to delete the donation, particularly when you are rushing - it really should be opt-in rather than opt-out.

• Like 2

Really quite shocked, but not that surprised, to see how few tickets there were left for the "In the Night" bill. I guess that's what happens when you only schedule 4 performances. I pity those who can't log on until they get to work. I was having to book so far back in the amphi for one performance that I decided I might as well go for a standing ticket.

Also, surprised to see any indications of any lower-house standing: I guess getting in to hedge my bets on Whelan/Watson lost me any chance of those.

I and a lady I was assisting had no technical problems today, but it's annoying to have to delete the donation, particularly when you are rushing - it really should be opt-in rather than opt-out.

Quite. Plus the fact that it's further down the page where you may miss it doesn't help.

I had no difficulty - short of my own equipment.  Booking on your phone with large, aged fingers is not easy - and getting rid of that pesky donation even worse.  Got all I wanted short of the second Watson/Whelan.  Hoping that - as in the past - there may be a magical appearance of more spaces there in the not too distant future.  Fingers crossed and eyes peeled.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I too got the seats I wanted in the main house - but found that the Insight events were not on sale!  It stated that they would be on sale from 10am.  I posted a message on the ROH site and they have apologised for the mistake.  Not a lot of consolation for those who were trying to get tickets, they are very difficult to get at the best of times (well actually almost impossible).

There did seem to be a large number of seats already taken when I logged on at 8am, not sure how many were retained until 10am when phone bookings started.

There do seem to be a few insight tickets popping up, presumably as people adjust their baskets.  I just (9:38 a.m. UK time) saw 4 tickets appear for the RB on Tour Insight event.

Yaffa  

I thought that when they changed online booking to 8am but left telephone until 10am the box office would hold some tickets back. I went online at 8am to try and get tickets for the RBS annual matinee I found, other than amphitheatre, all the remaining tickets were either side boxes or standing. Vertigo rules out the amphitheatre I'm afraid. I then rang the box office at 10am, was placed in a queue until 10.32, and was then told that only amphitheatre were left, but on my screen some balcony boxes were still selectable, so it seems that the internet has a better choice than telephone. I thought that strange.

So, I guess we need to work out what's been happening here. There is an allocation for phone booking, understandably, but I'm wondering whether they held back some of the online seats until 10 am for those who wouldn't be able to manage an 8 am start? I imagine that anything not taken up on phone booking will be released sooner or later, but I don't know when.

Having not been successful with the main stage performance of the RBS on July 12th I don't suppose anyone can tell me which of their Linbury performances are more upper school orientated.

If it is fairly evenly mixed each evening then that's okay but last year I think the lower school and upper school were featured on different evenings.

Having just been to a senior school performance last week at RBS would be particularly keen to see this upper school group again.

So, I guess we need to work out what's been happening here. There is an allocation for phone booking, understandably, but I'm wondering whether they held back some of the online seats until 10 am for those who wouldn't be able to manage an 8 am start? I imagine that anything not taken up on phone booking will be released sooner or later, but I don't know when.

I assume that any seat from the phone/in person allocation that hasn't found a taker is then put online (as happens with the day tickets), it should logically be when there is no longer anyone in the queue (either phone or in person) but I have no idea how to assess when that would be (usually about 10.30 for the day allocations).

I wish I'd thought about it yesterday as it is probably why a few Watson/Whelan tickets appeared after 10.

Quite. Plus the fact that it's further down the page where you may miss it doesn't help.

I'm not a legal expert, but I'd guess that the requirement to uncheck a box to avoid the 3 pound donation is also against the new (2014) Consumer Contracts Regulations. According to:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations:

Pre-ticked boxes

The Consumer Contracts Regulations make it clear that a trader won’t be able to charge a consumer for an item where it was

selected for the consumer as part of that purchasing process, rather than the consumer actively choosing to add it to

their basket. For example, retailers are not allowed to charge for an extended warranty if it was added into your basket

as a result of a pre-ticked box.If a company does charge you in this way, you are entitled to your money back.

I've written to ROH requesting that they change the way they handle their donation request.

• Like 2

I'm not a legal expert, but I'd guess that the requirement to uncheck a box to avoid the 3 pound donation is also against the new (2014) Consumer Contracts Regulations. According to:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations:

Pre-ticked boxes

The Consumer Contracts Regulations make it clear that a trader won’t be able to charge a consumer for an item where it was

selected for the consumer as part of that purchasing process, rather than the consumer actively choosing to add it to

their basket. For example, retailers are not allowed to charge for an extended warranty if it was added into your basket

as a result of a pre-ticked box.If a company does charge you in this way, you are entitled to your money back.

I've written to ROH requesting that they change the way they handle their donation request.

Which is why ROH will refund if asked (the requirement of the regulations). I disagree with the pre-selected option too, but I'm pretty sure giving a lecture on the law to ROH isn't the way to get them to change the practice.

Which is why ROH will refund if asked (the requirement of the regulations). I disagree with the pre-selected option too, but I'm pretty sure giving a lecture on the law to ROH isn't the way to get them to change the practice.

Sure, no lecture intended - my email to ROH (which I was going to write anyway) was mainly to say that whether or not the new law applies, I hope they will change the way that they handle the online donation so that it is more in line with their "usual sensitivity to customers' concerns." I do think they might not be aware of the new law and/or how annoying people find this box.

Yaffa

• Like 1

Sure, no lecture intended - my email to ROH (which I was going to write anyway) was mainly to say that whether or not the new law applies, I hope they will change the way that they handle the online donation so that it is more in line with their "usual sensitivity to customers' concerns." I do think they might not be aware of the new law and/or how annoying people find this box.

Yaffa

Good oh! As a suggestion, though, probably best not to refer to the law as "new" as it's almost two years old and has been in effect for 10 months.