It's my turn to need some help.....

Anjuli_Bai

That is very useful, 2dancersmum!

It can be confusing when we talk about the BTEC because of the different levels of BTEC. Because so many children won't do the desired five GCSEs, many of these children take level one or level two BTECs instead of GCSEs. In fact, in some schools, all children have to take one BTEC in addition to their GCSEs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Schools don't just offer 'A' levels in the sixth form. Unless they are academically selective they have to cater for a wide range of abilities and they offer vocational qualifications in subjects such as travel and tourism. I'm not sure if it is from this year, but soon all children will be required to stay in education until they are 18, either at school or at a sixth form or at a college of further education. I think that the UK must be one of the few countries in the developed world to allow their children (until recently) to leave school at 16.

You can still leave school by the end of the school year if you are 16 by the end of the summer holidays, you don't have to stay in school until 18, you just have to stay in education until 18. Education may include:

-staying at school or a college

-part-time education or training while doing 20 or more hours of work or volunteer work

-apprenticeship or traineeship

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

Edited by DancingtoDance

Also to add to the confusion, GCSE's are changing from A*-G (I think!) to grades 9-1 (9 is the best).

Can I add Pre-U as an equivalent to A levels - my daughter is likely to take one Pre-U and a mix of linear and modular A levels!

How long will it be, I wonder, before they go all the way up to 11?

• Like 1

Also to add to the confusion, GCSE's are changing from A*-G (I think!) to grades 9-1 (9 is the best).

Why?  I cannot think of a single reason why it should be changed from letters to numbers.  Unless it is supposed to reflect percentages i.e. if you get a grade 8 you got 80 something % in your exam?  In which case, why not just give the exact number.

I couldn't agree more, Fonty. The A* classification was a relatively recent introduction and I don't really see the point. If it is necessary to distinguish between the top candidates who may all have a string of top grades, why not just publish the percentage mark obtained? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was amused, reading this thread. I always find the American school descriptions very complicated, and am never quite sure what age the pupils are supposed to be.

I think it must be as a result of watching all those films about American High School students, who all appear to be about 35! 

That's so true.  In Grease for example, I think the leads really were in their 30s.  Incidentally, I remember (and took) the 11-plus and by no means am I 'an old-timer' thank you very much Rowan!

Why?  I cannot think of a single reason why it should be changed from letters to numbers.  Unless it is supposed to reflect percentages i.e. if you get a grade 8 you got 80 something % in your exam?  In which case, why not just give the exact number.

It's probably some bureaucrat or politician wanting to leave his mark on the educational system in much the same way that dogs can't help themselves from leaving their marks on trees and fire hydrants.

• 5 years later...
On 27/05/2014 at 17:58, Anna C said:

Anjuli, if it helps, here's a simplified version of state (Government Funded) schooling in my area (South East England):

Kindergarten - UK: Pre-School/Nursery School (usually from ages 3 to 5 or almost 5)

Elementary grades: 1 through 6 - UK: Primary School. Reception (age 4 or 5) then Year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Approx age 4-11.

Middle School (used to be called "Jr. High School") - grades 7 through 9. In some districts it varies with 9 being high school and/or 7 being elementary school.. - UK: some areas do have Middle Schools which are Years 5 to 8.

Secondary/Senior Schools are more common, starting at Year 7 (1st year) aged 11. In Year 11 (aged 15-16) pupils take General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) exams.

After Year 11 the options are:

Year 12 and 13 at Secondary School (also known as 6th form) to take Advanced Levels ("A'Levels), usually with the aim of leaving at 18 and going to University

Or

6th Form College to study A'Levels

Or

Local College to study Vocational subjects (Vocational in this context does not mean Ballet, but more Social Care, Childcare, Hair and Beauty, Mechanics, Performing Arts, Plumbing etc) at VQ (Vocational Qualification) level. These levels vary from Level 3 (equivalent to GCSEs) up to Foundation Degrees or Degrees.

Or straight into the workplace as an Apprentice/Junior

Or (hopefully) to Ballet School for 2 or 3 years from age 16-18 or 16-19 😉

If you take A'Levels and get your required Grades then either a three or four year course at University depending on your chosen subject.

Then post graduate studies or a job.

.........................................................................................

What do you mean when you use the word "form"? - Class. For schools with multi-form entry this would mean several "forms" (classes) made up of 20-30 pupils, all in the same Year (Grade).

What do you mean when you use the word "level"? - determines the level of exam syllabus being studied (e.g. Level 3/GCSE at 16)

So when we talk about going to Dance School at Upper School/6th Form we mean the equivalent of Year 12 at 16/17, having left Secondary school at the end of Year 11 after completing GCSEs.

Does that help at all or have I complicated things even more for you? 🙂

The age where one is legally allowed to leave school (barring circumstances such as illness that makes one unable to attend school in which case age may not apply) in the USA depends on the state.

• 2 months later...

I was just reading this thread from way back at the beginning thinking the whole time how much I miss @Anjuli_Bai
then got to the last couple of comments and was happy to see that I’m not alone. 
I do really hope that @Anjuli_Baiis keeping well and just enjoying new interests but I do miss their wit, humour and wisdom

Edited by Bex does ballet
  • Like 4