Care/treat packages for dancers away from home

Janice

So I know September is a while away and we are still waiting on funding that may or may not happen. But DD has realised that she probably won't be able to get home every week. 'That's ok' she said 'you can send me things in the post' !!

What things are essentials for dancers away from home on a tight budget and any ideas for fun things? In my DD's case phone credit and chocolate would be essential.

• Like 1

I will probably be sending tights for my DD given the way that she goes through them with me washing them!.  As for cheap fun things to do, I am completely out of touch with what 16/18 year olds like in the UK.  My DD will be on a very tight budget too, so will have to learn to like vegetables!

• Like 5

If she is 16 send money. She will be able to get the train into London to buy her own tights and point shoes etc. there is also a big tesco up the road and slightly around the corner. She will definitely appreciate the extra money. Oh and there is a costa up the other end of the road that a few of the students go to.

• Like 2

DD is not able to get home during term time.  We do a shop with her just before dropping her off to make sure she has the essential items that Fiz mentions as well as items for packed lunches.  Its amazing how soon they learn to live on a tight budget.  Cheap fun things to do - they can spend a long time in Costa or similar and DD and friends tend to have movie nights at each others house.  Sorting out mobile phones and internet access are essential though.  The ASDA card sounds good - pity DD does not have one near her

• Like 1

Sainsburys used to do a student card too, the parent has one card and the student has the other, the parent tops up at the checkout with their card, a great idea ( although I'm well aware that Asda might be preferable for students)

Sending a few face masks and pampering bits can be fun, madeup as a 'girls nigh in kit' and also you can get some lovely hot chocolate sachets these days

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 2

Just an idea, if she doesn't like the actual graze boxes maybe you could make your own version with her favourite snacks and send it in the same way? My mum did this for my sister at uni and she loved it especially the homemade oero fudge (not healthy but an incredible thing to arrive in the post!)

Maybe regular postcards which can then be put on the wall. They would be cheap but still the excitement of post and then decorate the room. Or those recipe cards you can pick up free at the supermarket for inspiration if she's cooking herself? Another idea, stationary, coloured pens,highlighters always come in useful!

• Like 2

I left an 'emergency' box in my daughter's room when she first went away. It contained things such as travel size gel, shampoo, conditioner, make up wipes, cold/flu tablets and being ever practical, a toilet roll. It was just in case she forgot to buy something that was an essential and would tide her over until she could get to a shop. I also put in a supermarket gift card just in case she ran out of money or lost her debit card.

• Like 3

Yes you can get Costa gift cards, I gave a colleague one when he left as he spent so much time in there!

My DS loves gifts of Jelly Tots and Creme Eggs as he can't get them in Poland. Sausages is another but they go in the case each time he goes back.

You may also be able to top up Costa gift cards remotely but I am not 100% sure about that.  If DC has a Costa loyalty card then registering it entitles the registree to free unlimited internet access.

You can also get gift cards for Starbucks (and they seem to offer internet access anyway)

Gosh things have changed since I was a student in the 90s. I was on a strict £10 a week budget that was food and everything! None of us went to coffee shops and no phones or internet then. But a couple of home cooked meals in the freezer box at start of term drop off used to cheer me up! My mum used to send me nice teabags/hot choc sachets/face packs, vitamin C as vits are pricey.

I sent a bouquet of sweets to my dd when she made finals of the schools comp and I couldn't make it. Work wouldn't give me time off :(

It was great though.she loved it and got to share the sweets with everyone so it went down well!

She loves just getting a letter though...nothing beats opening a card or letter just saying hi! We are all so savy with social media and texting but snail mail still rocks !

• Like 4

I agree with the snail mail rocks comments. To be honest, we very rarely send DD anything in the post (it usually means a trip to the post office to collect a parcel anyway) but she says the things she treasures most are the little notes I pop in with stuff or letters from family and friends.

• Like 3

My DD's love getting letters and postcards, Paperchase do a range of fun postcards for 60 p each, they change designs all the time, DD's decorate their room with them. When they tidy their rooms at end of term they put them in a scrap book to look at when they are homesick! We then start again each new term!

• Like 2

This is a great thread, my DD will be lucky to get home more than once a year so I plan to send a bi- monthly box of her favourite Australian goodies, but the idea of a letter is great too... very oldschool but so meaningful!