Ballet in the cinema 2013-2014

It looks that “Get Surrey” mixed up two companies in its preview headline:

Bolshoi Ballet brings Jewels and Giselle to Dorking

14 Jan 2014 15:07

Catch Bolshoi Ballet’s dazzling show Jewels and classic Giselle as they are transmitted live to the Dorking Halls

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/bolshoi-ballet-brings-jewels-giselle-6506777

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, DQF.  Wonder if I shall have any trains running next Sunday, and whether I shall be able to go?

Well, the situation gets more and more interesting.  There's been so much changing around of engineering works that I'm getting different answers wherever I enquire, and as it involves a change of trains in each case I don't want to get halfway there and then find out that there's no connection.  What fun :)

I notice that at least one suburban London multiplex has very nearly sold out *two* of its larger screens for Giselle tonight.

Anyway, that wasn't why I was posting: I wanted to know if anyone has an accurate(ish) idea of the running time for the Bolshoi "Lost Illusions" next Sunday?  Websites have the standard 3 hours.  I want to know if I can fit both that and the Ashanti gala in on the same day.

Oh, so it should be doable - 1 1/2 hours ought to be enough for me to get from wherever (my Sunday train service necessitated a major last-minute change of plan of I'd guess 12 miles for "Jewels" the other week) to the RCM.  Thanks, Stucha.

Which cast *are* they broadcasting, then?  I thought I saw Hallberg in the footage for either this or Marco Spada.

Vladislav Lantratov and Diana Vishneva are scheduled to feature in the Lost Illusions broadcast.  Both wonderful dancers but this ballet also depends on fine acting, great rapport and the relationship between the Lucien and Coralie being totally believable.  There is not much rapport between these two dancers imho, at least in the performance I saw in Paris.  Things may have improved by now.

(In any case I am not sure if Ozbrastzova is still out of action after her injury in Diamonds a couple of weeks ago.)

Hallberg is scheduled for Marco Spada.

I saw Lantratov & Vishneva opening night in Paris and I thought they had a fine performance. Lantratov is a lovely dancer with a vivid, warm stage presence and Vishneva was exceptional both dancing and acting.  I didn't see Hallberg and Obratzsova but I friend saw both casts and preferred Lantratov/Vishneva. I didn't find the ballet compelling but it was a treat to see the Bolshoi and being Ratmansky it's packed with dancing and being the Bolshoi the dancing is all very high standard. If you plan to see it at the cinema I'd recommend watching the clips on Youtube beforehand and reading the synopsis, I found it helped my appreciation. 

• Like 1

Well, it looks likely that I shall have to miss Lost Illusions in any case: all of my regular Bolshoi screening haunts are plagued by engineering works this weekend :(.

Just when I was going to have a Travelcard to use, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Casting for the live broadcast on March 30 has been announced.

Marco Spada, bandit

David Hallberg

Angela, his daughter

Evgenia Obraztsova

Marchesa Sampietri, daughter to the Governor of Rome

Olga Smirnova

Prince Frederici, betrothed to the Marchesa, in love with Angela

Semyon Chudin

Count Pepinelli, captain of the dragoons

Igor Tsvirko

Friar Borromeo, the monastery treasurer

Alexei Loparevich

Prince Osorio, Governor of Rome

Andrei Sitnikov

The Bride

Anastasia Stashkevich

The Groom

Vyacheslav Lopatin

Friends to Marchesa Sampietri

Yulia Grebenshchikova

Olga Marchenkova

Anna Okuneva

Anna Tikhomirova

Friends to Marco Spada

Ivan Alexeyev

Artemy Belyakov

Harlequins

Yan Godovsky

Anastasia Gubanova

Daria Khokhlova

Artur Mkrtchyan

Svetlana Pavlova

Alexander Smoliyaninov

Servants to the Marchesa

Alesya Gradova

Elizaveta Kruteleva

Yulia Lunkina

Svetlana Pavlova

Anna Rebetskaya

Anna Voronkova

Bandits’ molls

Anna Antropova

Anna Leonova

Victoria Litvinova

Maria Zharkova

Bandits

Karim Abdullin

Yegor Khromushin

Klim Yefimov

Dmitry Yefremo

For a synopsis of this ballet, please see this post:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2014/01/marco-spada-replaces-golden-age-for.html

Here is Evgenia Obraztsova in rehearsal:

http://youtu.be/fgRcD6ufog8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fgRcD6ufog8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 2

Just got back a couple of hours ago from seeing the RB Swan Lake movie. SO wonderful, I can't stop smiling - such a lovely evening. It's decades since I've seen RB do the big classics, and it was really, really lovely. Must agree with the critic who said that Zenaida Yanowsky's Odette was more interesting than her Odile; they were so different that Prince Siegfried must have been exceptionally stupid (or bewitched to stupefaction) to not understand that he was being tricked. But his reaction when he realised what had happened was heartbreaking; I don't think I've ever seen a person grow up so fast, from clueless youth to horrified adult in the space of three seconds!

Now to work on my husband for a trip back there next month for Sleeping Beauty. I haven't told him yet, but I bought a ticket today along with the Swan Lake one. :D

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Lamb/McRae cast's next performance is on the 13th so we might have a better idea then. in their first outing there were:

Fairies - Choe, Takada, Kobayashi, Hayward, Harrod

Florestan trio - Hristov, Harrod, Kobayashi

Bluebird - Choe, Zuchetti

King/Queen - Saunders, McGorian

Carabosse - McNally

TRAVELZOO has teamed up with Picturehouse Cinemas to offer 2-for-1 tickets to a live screening of the Bolshoi Ballet "Marco Spada" on the 30th March 2014 - 4pm.

call your local Picturehouse or 0871 7042068 (central box office) and quote "Travelzoo offer".

Partial casting for tomorrow's cinema broadcast of the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty is now on the ROH website.

PRINCESS AURORA SARAH LAMB

PRINCE FLORIMUND STEVEN McRAE 

KING FLORESTAN XXIV CHRISTOPHER SAUNDERS 

HIS QUEEN ELIZABETH McGORIAN

CARABOSSE KRISTEN McNALLY

LILAC FAIRY LAURA McCULLOCH

PRINCESS FLORINE YUHUI CHOE

THE BLUEBIRD VALENTINO ZUCCHETTI 

GRAND PAS DE DEUX SARAH LAMB, STEVEN McRAE

Edited to correct the link

Edited by Bluebird

Partial casting for tomorrow's cinema broadcast of the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty is now on the ROH website.

PRINCESS AURORA SARAH LAMB
 PRINCE FLORIMUND STEVEN McRAE 
 KING FLORESTAN XXIV CHRISTOPHER SAUNDERS 
 HIS QUEEN ELIZABETH McGORIAN
 CARABOSSE KRISTEN McNALLY
 LILAC FAIRY LAURA McCULLOCH
 PRINCESS FLORINE YUHUI CHOE
 THE BLUEBIRD VALENTINO ZUCCHETTI 
 GRAND PAS DE DEUX SARAH LAMB, STEVEN McRAE

Edited to correct the link

...and which dancers are cast as the Fairies?  Surely they should give us a full casting sheet, just as we get when attending ROH.

...and which dancers are cast as the Fairies?  Surely they should give us a full casting sheet, just as we get when attending ROH.

They probably don't know yet which dancers will definitely appear.  There have been very long cast change slips at recent performances (due to illness or injury) I imagine that they want to keep their options open until the last minute.

• Like 2