Ballet in the cinema 2013-2014

Bolshoi next season cinema dates have been announced. I didn't know if I should start a new thread but thought it seemed a bit premature as the first performance isn't until October.

October  20th Spartacus

November 17th le Corsaire (repeat)

December 22nd Sleeping Beauty (repeat)

January 19th Jewels

February 2nd Lost Illusions

March 30 Golden Age

Link  http://www.pathelive.com/fr/news

It is in French but Google will translate. Like the Royal they've had to start repeating. I wish they'd repeated Bright Stream. I'd love to see it again.

Also apparently the Bolshoi are acquiring Pierre Lacotte's Marco Spada next season which I really enjoyed seeing on the Nureyev dvd. Some good male dancing in it. It seems ironic they've acquired both this and Onegin after Vasiliev has left. I'm sure he'd love to dance both roles.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And since we now have the RB's new season details as well, I'll add those (with many thanks to eliamato for the original posting):

Don Quixote 16th October

The Nutcracker 12th December

Giselle  27 January

The Sleeping Beauty  19th March

The Winter’s Tale  28th April

Was that it?

• Like 1

Considering all the time and effort that must go into sending these ballets around the world, are they ever available on video afterwards? I would love to be able to see some of them...

Considering all the time and effort that must go into sending these ballets around the world, are they ever available on video afterwards? I would love to be able to see some of them...

They not infrequently appear on video some time later. There is a DVD of the Hallberg Zakharov Beauty, for instance.

They not infrequently appear on video some time later. There is a DVD of the Hallberg Zakharov Beauty, for instance.

Thanks for the info! I have that Sleeping Beauty with Svetlana's jaw dropping Rose Adagio; what a great performance! :wub:

• 5 months later...

Just had an email from Picturehouse to say that tickets for all the ROH screenings are now on sale:

Tue 17 Sep, 7.15
The Royal Opera: Turandot

Wed 16 Oct, 7.15
The Royal Ballet: Don Quixote

Mon 4 Nov, 5.45
The Royal Opera: Les Vêpres Siciliennes

Thu 12 Dec, 7.15
The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker

Wed 18 Dec, 4.45
The Royal Opera: Parsifal

Mon 27 Jan, 7.15
The Royal Ballet: Giselle

Wed 12 Feb, 6.45
The Royal Opera: Don Giovanni

Wed 19 Mar, 7.15
The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty

Mon 28 Apr, 7.15
The Royal Ballet: The Winter's Tale

Tue 24 Jun, 6.45
The Royal Opera: Manon Lescaut

All productions are on sale now: full price £20, Members £13, concessions £15

Call 0871 902 5747 for enquiries.
  • Like 2

I'm over the moon to discover the upcoming RB live screenings will be shown at a cinema complex in Nottingham city centre (Cineworld -also showing at others of that same cine group around the UK). Previously they'd only been shown at the out of town (on industrial estate!) multiplex that's very difficult to get to if like me you don't drive..... :D 

£16 a ticket, great value, booking all of them!!

• Like 1

Odeon Culture Plus have announced their Royal Ballet/Opera screenings. Also Meteropolitan opera and some RSC and National Theatre. Still waiting for Bolshoi though previously they were announced later than Royal ballet and not so many screenings.

As I will be in Edinburgh on holiday when RB Don Q premieres on  screen which I cannot miss - any recommendation for which cinema to go to?  I believe the Vue Omni will be nearest for me but they do not seem to have DonQ avaialble for booking though Vue Waterfront has a repeat on the next evening.  Thoughts appreciated.

I was absolutely thrilled to discover from the ROH's website some time back that several cinemas in Italy, including the one where I live, would be screening the RB's live transmissions this season. Previously we'd just had Giselle, I think in early 2011, and the occasional opera, seeing all the ballets will be a real treat. The downside is that these are the same cinemas which were earlier showing the Bolshoi broadcasts, and it looks as if they have decided not to screen both. This Bolshoi season has a lot of repeats so I don't mind that much but it's a pity. I know these things are dictated by commercial concerns and the audiences for ballet are small, so I am trying to focus on the positive side. Being able to see, for instance, The Winter's Tale fresh off the presses, so to speak, and the new DQ which I'm very much looking forward to.

See this film is being shown in NYC.  Wondered if some of these 'emerging' dance/ballet films as stated might not be able to appear in one specifically cultivated and dedicated programme in one of London's so called 'art' cinemas?  Surely such showings are the ONLY real way to build a hunger and develop an audience for such so called 'alternative fare'.  In a world seemingly thronging to social media this would be a plug for the furtherance of an ongoing dance/ballet education in and of itself for those who - for whatever reason - have had (or chosen) to resist travel in the shaping of their own dance perspectives.  Certainly it could hurt in the development of a meaningful twitter feed (so important nowadays - even to Balletcoforum links say) - and the idea of a Sunday morning specialty - certainly a less popular time for many which the major studios use to meaningfully preview so many of their own future releases - might well be an ideal vehicle through which to begin.  .  

http://www.emergingpictures.com/2013/06/13/david-hallberg-stars-in-short-film-the-dancer-to-kick-off-national-spokesperson-role-for-ballet-in-cinema/

• 3 weeks later...

Bolshoi next season cinema dates have been announced. I didn't know if I should start a new thread but thought it seemed a bit premature as the first performance isn't until October.

October  20th Spartacus

November 17th le Corsaire (repeat)

December 22nd Sleeping Beauty (repeat)

January 19th Jewels

February 2nd Lost Illusions

March 30 Golden Age

Link  http://www.pathelive.com/fr/news

It is in French but Google will translate. Like the Royal they've had to start repeating. I wish they'd repeated Bright Stream. I'd love to see it again.

Also apparently the Bolshoi are acquiring Pierre Lacotte's Marco Spada next season which I really enjoyed seeing on the Nureyev dvd. Some good male dancing in it. It seems ironic they've acquired both this and Onegin after Vasiliev has left. I'm sure he'd love to dance both roles.

The live transmission of Spartacus on 20 October has at last appeared on the Odeon website and tickets are on sale.  It seems to be showing in Odeon cinemas nationwide. 4pm start

I find the new Odeon website quite difficult to navigate.  Anyone agree?

Thanks for info about the Odeon showing of Spartacus, Patsomerset. I used to have Odeon Cultureplus saved as a favourite but with changes to the site I find it almost impossible to access as my computer isn't up to date enough. I had to go to the cinema to book for Don Q and while there I complained to the manager. She said I was the first to complain in person but in the Odeon office they have had to have their computers updated to cope with the new system! She said she would pass my complaint on. I find it very annoying when some computer whiz kid comes along and upgrades a website without considering all the thousands of users who don't have the latest technology. Even my computer at work can't access it without a lot of trouble. It took about 20 minutes just to see what seats were available and then it wouldn't let me book. I don't even particularly like the new layout. Previously it used to say at the top of the site how many films were there so you could tell almost at a glance whether any had been added or subtracted but not any more. The thing that really annoys me is it is possibly the least mobile members of the population who have the oldest equipment and are less able to get to a cinema to book.   Joan

Me too.  I can't view it at all on my ancient edition of Internet Explorer - and it's not my fault that Microsoft won't allow me to upgrade to a newer version.  Not that I tend to book online anyway, but it's always good to have the option to see how ticket sales are going.

Thanks for info about the Odeon showing of Spartacus, Patsomerset. I used to have Odeon Cultureplus saved as a favourite but with changes to the site I find it almost impossible to access as my computer isn't up to date enough. I had to go to the cinema to book for Don Q and while there I complained to the manager. She said I was the first to complain in person but in the Odeon office they have had to have their computers updated to cope with the new system! She said she would pass my complaint on. I find it very annoying when some computer whiz kid comes along and upgrades a website without considering all the thousands of users who don't have the latest technology. Even my computer at work can't access it without a lot of trouble. It took about 20 minutes just to see what seats were available and then it wouldn't let me book. I don't even particularly like the new layout. Previously it used to say at the top of the site how many films were there so you could tell almost at a glance whether any had been added or subtracted but not any more. The thing that really annoys me is it is possibly the least mobile members of the population who have the oldest equipment and are less able to get to a cinema to book.   Joan

I did not realise that the new Odeon website requires an upgrade of Internet Explorer.  I only have the new version because my old computer died earlier in the year.  I imagine there must be many people who can no longer book online.  Even if you can get onto the website  I find it very clumsy and difficult to navigate.  I found Spartacus under something labelled 'advance book'  but it did not appear in the 'Culture 'list. I managed to book a seat for myself but could not book a wheelchair space for a friend.  I had to book this by telephone. Is this an improvement? I shall complain at my local Odeon when I go next

I noticed the Odeon website had changed recently, although I hate downloading systems onto my computer I had to get Internet 9 a few months ago as BT were threatening that I would be unable to access my E-mails unless I did. I must say a lot of websites do look better with it, but I find the Odeon one irritating to use now.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the ROH's "find a cinema" feature: http://www.roh.org.uk/search/screenings?location=France&startDate=2013-10-04&screeningProduction=5083&do=search

It links to Google Maps so you can get an idea of geographical distributions.  *So* much easier than various other people's sites for finding their showings.  I can understand why French balletomanes are upset, though: you seem to need to be living in the centre of France to see Don Q.

Hi folks.

I'm usually at live shows (at ROH for Don Q on 2 Nov mat) but will be attending my first 'live ROH cinema screening' in Nottingham next Wednesday for Don Q. Having never been to one of these before can I ask what may seem like a silly question? What happens in the intervals?? Do they show an intermission film? Just interested to know....!

By the way, the increasing accessibility and availability of these ballet (and opera) cinema screenings is so good. I'm attending the cinema Don Q next week with an elderly lady - she has always loved ballet but it's too difficult for her to travel to London to the ROH, even if I assist and accompany her. I work for a disability charity and I'm just passionate about making the arts accessible to all, in as many ways as possible.

So, keep up the live cinema showings ROH!!!

• Like 2

Hello Nottsballetlover

They show behind the scenes rehearsals, interviews with dancers and on one occasion (The Nutcracker)  the mechanics of the Christmas tree growing. Always really interesting. One tip. We have learned to get to the cinema in plenty of time as they tend to be very well supported.

I saw Don Q last Saturday .Loved it, so enjoy!

Margaret (ex West Bridgford)

• Like 1

Advance booking definitely recommended, unless you can see online that there's plenty of space left.  And people do generally abide by the 7.15 starting time, which has caused me problems in the past when a restaurant has taken ages to sort my bill out.