Ballet in the cinema 2013-2014

Bolshoi next season cinema dates have been announced. I didn't know if I should start a new thread but thought it seemed a bit premature as the first performance isn't until October.

October  20th Spartacus

Link  http://www.pathelive.com/fr/news

It is in French but Google will translate.

I have to say that the Pathé link is pretty pathetic.  When I tried to find showings in London, I got no results.  Compare that with the ROH website, which gives a nice Google map of all the cinemas showing it in France ...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that I'm not telling people something that they know already, but the Picturehouse chain is showing Spartacus on Sunday, which opens up two much more convenient possibilities for me. I hadn't realised this until yesterday when the new week's programming was posted on the cinemas' websites. Mind you, at £20 a ticket (plus, no doubt, a booking fee) it's expensive.

I hope that I'm not telling people something that they know already, but the Picturehouse chain is showing Spartacus on Sunday, which opens up two much more convenient possibilities for me. I hadn't realised this until yesterday when the new week's programming was posted on the cinemas' websites. Mind you, at £20 a ticket (plus, no doubt, a booking fee) it's expensive.

If you're going to watch a number of cinecast a at a Picturehouse it may be cheaper to become a member.

• Like 1

Is it definitely a live screening of Spartacus from the Bolshoi on Sunday? If so, the cast is Vasiliev, Zelensky, Allash and Vinogradova. Interesting!

Well according to the Bolshoi website and the Pathe  website the cast is as DonQ stated in Post 33 and, as I understand it, it is Live

Well according to the Bolshoi website and the Pathe  website the cast is as DonQ stated in Post 33 and, as I understand it, it is Live

Thank you, patsomerset, and apologies to all. I entered the 20th on the Bolshoi website but the cast for the 19th came up!

I have to say that the Pathé link is pretty pathetic.  When I tried to find showings in London, I got no results.  Compare that with the ROH website, which gives a nice Google map of all the cinemas showing it in France ...

I agree about the Pathe website but I have found what I think is a glitch in the ROH website. If I search for a cinema near me the only one which comes up is a nearby town, Wellington, which has just started ROH relays.  No mention of our local Odeon which has been building up an audience for live transmissions over the last two or three years. I don't know where the problem lies but I am contacting both sides to see if it can be fixed.  Those of us who go regularly know what is coming up but people new to these transmissions, and there are quite a few, may be missing out .  It may well apply to other towns than Taunton

• 4 weeks later...

It's on at the Phoenix, East Finchley:

http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk/news/bolshoi-2013-2014-season/

Edited to add that it's also on in Brixton

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Ritzy_Picturehouse/Whats_On/Seasons_Festivals/Ballet/

and The Gate in Notting Hill

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Gate_Picturehouse/film/Bolshoi_Le_Corsaire/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

In south London it is shown at Clapham Picturehouse, 2-min. walk from Clapham Common tube station.

Tickets are always available before the performance.

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Clapham_Picturehouse/film/Bolshoi_Le_Corsaire/

Since it was recorded on 11 March 2012, there is a lovely cast there:

Svetlana Lunkina (Medora), Ruslan Skvortsov (Conrad), Nina Kaptsova (Gulnara)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The following PiictureHouse cinemas should be showing 'Jewels', but not sure what dates and times.

In The Following Cinemas

Clapham Picturehouse - London

Gate Picturehouse - London

Greenwich Picturehouse - London

Hackney Picturehouse - London

Ritzy Picturehouse - London

Stratford East Picturehouse - London

Belmont Picturehouse - Aberdeen

The Little Theatre Cinema - Bath

Duke's At Komedia - Brighton

Abbeygate Picturehouse - Bury St Edmunds

Arts Picturehouse - Cambridge

Cameo Picturehouse - Edinburgh

Exeter Picturehouse - Exeter

Regal Picturehouse - Henley-on-Thames

Picturehouse at FACT - Liverpool

Cinema City - Norwich

Phoenix Picturehouse - Oxford

Harbour Lights Picturehouse - Southampton

Stratford-upon-Avon Picturehouse - Stratford-upon-Avon

City Screen Picturehouse - York

Ann Williams

Here are the links to Cineworld and Picturehouse. I saw Spartacus at Wakefield Cineworld on 20 Oct 2013 and much preferred it (as a transmission) to the Royal Ballet's Don Quixote that I had seen earlier.

Here's the ad for the Royal's Sleeping Beauty which is shown at Odeons.

I hope to see Jewels but I shall probably be on the motorway on the way back from Covent Garden the night before.

Thank you all for these helpful responses; actually the cinemas you list are those I had already picked up from my excursions into PictureHouse and Cineplex, but since they seem unusually sparse I was hoping that someone would magic up showings in the two Vue cinemas in Shepherds Bush or the Curzon Richmond, all comfortably within my reach (and all three being exceptionally nice cinemas, unlike one horribly uncomfortable  experience I had with the recent Don Q in a local Odeon). 

I'll check my favoured venues in person and report my findings (in case they're of interest to anyone else).

I don't think Vue and Curzon have been showing any of them, have they?  I know Curzon does do some arts offerings, but I'm afraid the choice for the Bolshoi is still fairly limited.  Is the Picturehouse in Notting Hill Gate no good?

Casting for The Bolshoi's Jewels on 19 January is on their website as follows:-

19 January 2014

Emeralds

Two leading couples

Ivan Alexeyev

Vladislav Lantratov

Evgenia Obraztsova

Anna Tikhomirova

Pas de Trois

Yanina Parienko

Igor Tsvirko

Ana Turazashvili

Xenia Averina

Bruna Gaglianone Cantanhede

Svetlana Gnedova

Alesya Gradova

Anastasia Gubanova

Olga Klypina

Elizaveta Kruteleva

Irina Serenkova

Anastasia Shilova

Margarita Shrainer

Rubies

The leading couple

Ekaterina Krysanova

Vyacheslav Lopatin

Soloist

Ekaterina Shipulina

Batyr Annadurdyev

Mikhail Kochan

Mikhail Kryuchkov

Alexander Vorobiyov

Daria Bochkova

Bruna Gaglianone Cantanhede

Daria Gurevich

Daria Khokhlova

Yulia Lunkina

Ilona Matsiy

Svetlana Pavlova

Maria Vinogradova

Diamonds

The leading couple

Semyon Chudin

Olga Smirnova

Ыщдщшыеы

Ivan Alexeyev

Artemy Belyakov

Angelina Karpova (Vlashinets)

Anna Okuneva

Ana Turazashvili

Maria Vinogradova

Klim Yefimov

Dmitry Yefremov

Conductor

Pavel Sorokin

Edited by Don Q Fan

Ha! No, of course not. Shall have to look at alternatives.

Incidentally, I was doing a "dummy run" on booking for the Bolshoi at Wimbledon Odeon, and I discovered that they've bumped up the prices by £3 compared with the Royal Ballet performances. Might as well go back to Picturehouse in that case.

And my local Odeon has sold out on Giselle already. I wonder whether they will upgrade to a larger screen, or if I need to look at going elsewhere there too?