Vadim Muntagirov to join The Royal Ballet as a Principal dancer

Guest chinafish

Well, I'm beginning to think that there might be some truth in this rivalry. Acquiring ENB's biggest star (except for Rojo and Cojacaru, of course) mid-season, regardless of the disarray in which it leaves ENB's casting schedules, is mean IMO. And, looking at people's views on social media outside this forum, a lot of people agree with me that it is regrettable that Muntagirov is moving to the RB at such unusually short notice.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm beginning to think that there might be some truth in this rivalry. Acquiring ENB's biggest star (except for Rojo and Cojacaru, of course) mid-season, regardless of the disarray in which it leaves ENB's casting schedules, is mean IMO. And, looking at people's views on social media outside this forum, a lot of people agree with me that it is regrettable that Muntagirov is moving to the RB at such unusually short notice.

As has been mentioned before Muntagirov may well have been prepared to honour his committments, but may have been prevented from doing so.  Too many assumptions about this business.

• Like 3

I'd also start calling them Muntagirov and Trzensimiech (not the easiest names!) and the same for the other dancers, since other ways seem to imply an intimacy that sounds unlikely as much as it helps to lose the sense of position and proportion... :-)

Since I cannot pronounce Trzensimiech I came to calling him 'Polish Dave'. This does not imply any intimacy on my part!

• Like 7

As has been mentioned before Muntagirov may well have been prepared to honour his committments, but may have been prevented from doing so.  Too many assumptions about this business.

Yes. The managements would have sorted out what worked best I'm sure. And generally if somebody is going best they go sooner and the old management concentrates on investing in new talent. I think it's a good and logical move for Muntagirov. And right it happens soonest - if I was in Rojo's shoes I would not have tried to keep him a few weeks or months.

• Like 1

It seems that the Telegraph is attempting to stoke up a level of rivalry that does not exist.

I haven't read the Christiansen article yet, but I agree I'm getting concerned at the level of reporting on RB matters over the last few days. More so, possibly, since much of it has been covered by their "showbusiness" reporter rather than anyone actually on the arts staff. Rupert Christiansen may be their opera critic, but he does at least regularly attend ballet performances too. That doesn't change the fact that too often dance performances are parcelled out among a range of critics/reporters.

That said, the Telegraph's dance critics always seem to be much harder on the RB than any other company.  When Ismene Brown was the dance critic she rarely had a good word to say for its dancers and her predecessor, Nicolas Dromgoole, was similarly scathing.

Dromgoole was actually the Sunday Telegraph critic, from what I remember. And I'm pretty sure he must have said *some* nice things about RB dancers: he *was* married to one, and I don't remember ever thinking "Well, I'm sure you could have found some nice words for your wife, had you been reviewing her", so presumably he could be positive. Katherine Sorley Walker was ISmene Brown's predecessor at the Daily Telegraph, I think.

I really don't call most of the Telegraph's articles serious journalism, less even the articles written by their so-called Ballet Critics.

See my comments above.

Well, I'm beginning to think that there might be some truth in this rivalry. Acquiring ENB's biggest star (except for Rojo and Cojacaru, of course) mid-season, regardless of the disarray in which it leaves ENB's casting schedules, is mean IMO.

You make it sound as though they deliberately went in and grabbed him, whereas Kevin O'Hare makes it clear that it was Muntagirov who approached them. But we don't want to let this whole situation turn into a matter of tit-for-tat.

• Like 2

Alison, I deliberately used the word 'acquire' as it is a neutral term. Just for the record, I always assumed that Muntagirov would move on and I am happy for him that he is going to the RB, but someone has, IMO, behaved badly here. The most likely explanation is that O'Hare insisted that he come immediately, or at least didn't discourage it, for his own convenience (why, I don't know given the size of the RB and his previous assertion that there are too many principals). Alternatively, Muntagirov wanted to leave at short notice, which is disappointing if true. From Muntagirov's point of view, I don't think that he is making a very auspicious start. Golding's arrival has been heralded for months (photoshoot for the house magazine etc) with a view to building recognition and a 'fan' base. Muntagirov, by contrast, is arriving with little announcement and is going to make his debut with a middle ranking soloist in the place of an apparently disgruntled departing soloist two days before the much anticipated debut of Golding with no less than Osipova. There is a slight feeling that he is being brought in early just to replace Trzensiemiech. IMO, it would have been much better if Muntagirov had come in at the beginning of next season, when his arrival did not coincide with Golding's, and after the kind of publicity that Golding and Osipova had received.

I think that the amount of interest in Muntagirov that is being shown on this thread augurs well for his reception when he arrives at the Royal Ballet.

His portrayal of the Prince in Sleeping Beauty with ENB was sublime and garnered not only many plaudits in the UK but, also, the Benois de la Dance Award 2013. And, noticeably, it is he, not Golding, who is being cast in Winter's Tale.

I, for one, have dug deep into my pocket in order to attend his debut performance at the ROH on 25th March and I would urge everyone on here (especially anyone who has not yet seen him dance) to try to be there too.

• Like 7

Strange comparison: Muntagirov already has a massive fan base in London so there is no need whatsoever to build recognition, whereas Golding was an unknown name to 99% of the audience.

Slightly off topic: I have yet to see Mr Golding but two long term ballet fans whose judgements I trust weren't impressed by him at all and are already hoping his tenure will be a short one. 

Well, my views seem to be at odds with those of most other people on this forum and, as I think that I have probably said everything that I have to say on the subject, I'm going to leave this thread now and finish by saying that I wish Vadim well at the RB as he really wants to go there and *deserves* to be there as a first class dancer but I feel very disappointed by the manner of his departure from ENB and wish that it had been otherwise.

MAB, many RB regulars do not go and see ENB and have not seen Muntagirov dance and know little about him.

Then they will have a real treat in store. Just watch this forum once he starts performing with the Royal Ballet.

And, by the way, he is still scheduled to be dancing in Men in Motion at the Coliseum tomorrow and Friday.

• Like 1

Something I should have mentioned sooner: Muntagirov will dance Swan Lake (4th, 5th & 9th)  and La Bayadere (7th & 8th) in Paris next month with St Petersburg Ballet Theatre so clearly Mr O'Hare has no objections to his new recruit honouring his current engagements.  The theory that he was told by ENB to "clear his desk and leave the building" is looking the more likely scenario.

I don't like to speculate but Tamara Rojo did tweet that it was sad he wouldn't be performing in Lest We Forget and Romeo & Juliet though she was pleased he would be in Manchester for Corsaire. If anyone was preventing him honouring those it wouldn't be her it seems (or at least she's publicly making it seem that way.)

I am pleased for Vadim Muntagirov and excited to see where this takes him. I had originally booked to see Vadim M and Daria K in Romeo & Juliet and of course I'm a little disappointed but I don't mind who I get instead. I already had tickets for Manchester Corsaire (Saturday evening) so now that it seems it will be their last ENB performance together I am pleased I already had those booked.

Well, my views seem to be at odds with those of most other people on this forum and, as I think that I have probably said everything that I have to say on the subject, I'm going to leave this thread now and finish by saying that I wish Vadim well at the RB as he really wants to go there and *deserves* to be there as a first class dancer but I feel very disappointed by the manner of his departure from ENB and wish that it had been otherwise.

Aileen, I think what most people are saying is that no-one who was not in whatever meetings that took place between Vadim Muntagirov and Tamara Rojo, Kevin O'Hare or any of his colleagues can possibly know the full story.

I appreciate your feelings and I feel sad that I won't have the same opportunities to see him or his wonderful partnership with Daria Klimentova but at least we shoul be able to wish him well for his future career with RB.

In respect of your comments about his debut, should Kevin O'Hare have split up already advertised partnerships, kept Vadim on the side for longer or given him an early debut with a dancer making her debut who will surely appreciate his wonderful partnering skills?

Whilst I appreciate the loyalty that dancers give to their companies - eg Robert Parker, Dominic Antonucci, Chi Cao and many others at BRB, I appreciate that other dancers feel they may do better for their careers elsewhere and they move on.

• Like 10

Aileen, I think what most people are saying is that no-one who was not in whatever meetings that took place between Vadim Muntagirov and Tamara Rojo, Kevin O'Hare or any of his colleagues can possibly know the full story.

I appreciate your feelings and I feel sad that I won't have the same opportunities to see him or his wonderful partnership with Daria Klimentova but at least we shoul be able to wish him well for his future career with RB.

In respect of your comments about his debut, should Kevin O'Hare have split up already advertised partnerships, kept Vadim on the side for longer or given him an early debut with a dancer making her debut who will surely appreciate his wonderful partnering skills?

Whilst I appreciate the loyalty that dancers give to their companies - eg Robert Parker, Dominic Antonucci, Chi Cao and many others at BRB, I appreciate that other dancers feel they may do better for their careers elsewhere and they move on.

And BRB were lucky enough to get the lovely Natasha Oughtred for that very reason!!

• Like 1

Absolutely.

For all we know, his impending departure may have been on the cards for months, and he has honoured his commitment to stay and finish the tour of Corsaire...

Aileen

Wow. you don't know anything and you made stuff up again and again. Insulting Vadim and now you insult other dancers

middle ranking soloists and Vadim a principal in name only. why are you saying these things?

tell me do you know how long a rehearsal period is for a new rep, do you know how far in advance casting is sorted out?? No you don't so instead of being horrible about vadim why don't you find stuff out instead of blaming him for everything and if you don't know what your talking about don't make stuff up.

I thought I made my pont the first time but no you went on and on about it again and again.

no one not vadim or anyone has done anything wrong you don't know how a company works and you really insult all dancers how the hell do you know that people who go to the Royal won't come and see ENB? that's rubbish anyway.

really really hurtful posts and you didn't stop after two pages you went on for another two pages so you obviously don't care who you hurt or who reads your posts which are just a lot of really mean assumtions and putting two and two together and making five.

Edited by BD19
  • Like 6

It all comes over as very immature, as if they are out on a mission. What for? 

Seriously disappointed in R. Christiansen's article of today. Can we please have some balanced articles instead of cheap sensationalism,

Yes, it was a generally poor article (presumably from his once-a-week page/column?), but with a couple of points worth making towards the end (by which time I'd zoned out and was only skim-reading it. I must admit)

Something I should have mentioned sooner: Muntagirov will dance Swan Lake (4th, 5th & 9th)  and La Bayadere (7th & 8th) in Paris next month with St Petersburg Ballet Theatre so clearly Mr O'Hare has no objections to his new recruit honouring his current engagements.  The theory that he was told by ENB to "clear his desk and leave the building" is looking the more likely scenario.

I'm not at all sure that follows.  How could O'Hare object to Muntagirov guesting while he's still being employed by another company?

But as Janet says, ultimately we don't know the ins and outs of what's happened, so can we please stop all this speculation and stick to what facts we do have?

Anyway, i've never seen Vadim dance before. Are there any particular roles in the RB rep that he would be ideally suited to? Has he done any Macmillan at ENB?

I think that those of us who had the privilege of seeing him in Song of a Wayfarer and Apollo as well as the more classical rep. appreciate that Muntagirov is one of those rare dancers who can excel in most works.. I for one can't wait to see him perform in the MacMillan ballets which must have been one of the attractions for him in seeking to join the Royal Ballet. And, if Don Quixote is coming back next season.......wow!!!!

I don't want toget into a spat but actually BD19 I'm slightly bothered by your tone towards Aileen.

I don't think Aileen is "insulting" any dancers not even Muntagirov!! That is a very strong word!!

None of us know what has really transpired that is true but it has been known for dancers to behave not in the best fashion in fairly recent times.....no names mentioned but one in particular comes to mind.....though I have to say this is fairly unusual....but perhaps Aileen was just wondering whether Vadim Muntagirov did have any choice in this matter in which case it does all seem rather sudden but then this has also happened recently with Alina Cojocaru leaving the Royal and going to join ENB. Most people were surprised by this news because of its suddenness to the general public anyway......who knows what was going on behind the scenes.

Just because you don't know exactly how a Ballet Company works doesn't mean you are not affected by some decisions made sometimes if you love going to see ballet.

• Like 3

............ and you really have to know ballet dancers read ballet boards

BD19 - it sounds as though you are a friend of Vadim. If so, please would you tell him how much people on here admire his dancing and that there is huge interest in seeing him in new roles with the Royal Ballet? There are many really nice posts on here about him which you might feel able to share with him.

• Like 2