Vadim Muntagirov to join The Royal Ballet as a Principal dancer

Guest chinafish

I thought it was Kevin O'Hare who said that, Erica? In any event I'm not sure why the statement that Vadim approached the RB could be construed as 'protesting too much'. There is no reason why he wouldn't approach the RB if for whatever reason he wanted to leave ENB and equally there is no reason to suggest that in fact the RB approached him and 'poached' him from ENB. Unless he makes a public announcement as to why he has made this decision, we can only speculate. Similarly we can only speculate as to whether he wanted to partner Daria in R&J but was told that this wasn't possible, or whether he wanted a clean break and as to whether Daria feels let down as has been suggested or whether for her own personal reasons, whatever they may be, she is fully in support of his move and his not returning to partner her in R&J.

Whatever his reasons are, they are personal and I am simply happy that he is staying in the UK and joining the RB, with the opportunity to extend his repertoire.

• Like 7

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chrischris, you are the source of multiple surprises at the moment!

There's now an error message on that page, although the title of the URL is still there in full.

Tamara must be disappointed. Good move for him, probably a lot more money, and a wider repertoire to explore.

Agree with all of that. I had thought it might well happen in due course, but hadn't expected it to happen halfway through a season, when he'd been announced in casting already. That's disappointing. I've often wondered whether dancing the same role(s) over and over again as they do at ENB might pall. I trust he realises he'll be dancing a lot less often.

*collects jaw from floor*

My reaction entirely.

I thought it was Kevin O'Hare who said that, Erica? In any event I'm not sure why the statement that Vadim approached the RB could be construed as 'protesting too much'. There is no reason why he wouldn't approach the RB if for whatever reason he wanted to leave ENB and equally there is no reason to suggest that in fact the RB approached him and 'poached' him from ENB.

Yes, absolutely. Contrary to what's been said elsewhere, some people *do* want to join the RB, and do approach the company (it's certainly been made clear in the past that the approach will have to come from them and not from the RB if they're already employed elsewhere).

I should have added that he is also letting Daria (and the company) down in Madrid as well. You should always start as you mean to go on, and being paired with a non-principal, as a replacement for a soloist, is, IMO, a pretty lame start. He should be careful that he doesn't end up as a principal in name only.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here Aileen but maybe it was seen as an opportunity to get him on the stage as soon as possible.  And presumably he is the TBC in the known casting for Winter's Tale.

chrischris, it's not normal or necessary that dancers leave at short notice. There is no goodwill, knowhow etc to be protected. Vadim's departure is very abrupt and, as I have said above, is letting a lot of people down. I think that, looking back, he'll regret it. I don't see any messages of goodwill either from his current or from his future colleagues.

Again, we don't know how abrupt Vadim's departure is Aileen - he may have given notice of his intentions a while ago even if he has only just resigned. In fact we really don't know anything other than the bare facts and IMHO we shouldn't make judgments and statements about his possibly letting anyone down because we can't possibly know whether or not that is the case. I agree with James Sinclair that he has probably made a good choice and there is no reason to believe that he will regret it. Tamara's comment is one of goodwill and no doubt at least some of his colleagues and future colleagues have also sent him messages of goodwill but they won't necessarily think it necessary or appropriate to share those with the public.

There seems to be a lot of negativity being directed solely towards the RB but although I am sure that like any large company/workplace it has its issues and problems, I am equally sure that ENB also has issues and problems. Alina's arrival and of course Tamara's directorship and continuing dancing must have caused consternation amongst its female dancers in terms of their future career prospects and progression just as it has been postulated above that Dawid Trzsensimiech's departure may be linked to Vadim's arrival.

• Like 2

Legseleven, I'm not directing any negativity towards the RB. I'm sure that the RB would have waited for him if they really wanted him. After all, Matthew's arrival was announced months in advance of his arrival. I have no issue with Vadim joining the RB, only with him not honoring casting commitments already announced. I'm not suggesting that he will regret leaving ENB only that he will regret dumping his colleagues, and in particular Daria, in it.

Edited by aileen

Who is Daria going to dance with in her three performances at the RAH in June? Probably no-one and she won't dance at all and that will be that.What a sad end to a distinguished career.

Aileen - that is a speculation too far!  I am sure ENB will honour Daria Klimentova in the appropriate and wonderful way she deserves.

• Like 6

chrischris, it's not normal or necessary that dancers leave at short notice. There is no goodwill, knowhow etc to be protected. Vadim's departure is very abrupt and, as I have said above, is letting a lot of people down. I think that, looking back, he'll regret it. I don't see any messages of goodwill either from his current or from his future colleagues.

There are lots of messages from RB dancers on twitter welcoming him, so there seems to be lots of goodwill. I also know of dancers who have left quite abruptly (Dawid being one) and at the end of the day, this is their job. If he feels it is best for him to start straight away, than that's what he should do.

• Like 4

Legseleven, I'm not directing any negativity towards the RB. I'm sure that the RB would have waited for him if they really wanted him. After all, Matthew's arrival was announced months in advance of his arrival. I have no issue with Vadim joining the RB, only with him not honoring casting commitments already announced. I'm not suggesting that he will regret leaving ENB only that he will regret dumping his colleagues, and in particular Daria, in it.

But we have no way of knowing what arrangements Vadim made, what he would have said to Daria, or how much choice he had in when he left, aileen! It's very unfair to repeatedly accuse him of letting people down when none of us knows the full facts.

I am extremely surprised and will miss Vadim at ENB but I wish him every success at RB.

• Like 6

I don't think anyone has insinuated anything.  No-one knows the full picture unless they were actually in the room with Ms Rojo and Mr Muntagirov or Mr O'Hare and Mr Muntagirov.

It is not unprecedented for dancers to leave companies in mid-season, however odd it may seem to members of the public.

• Like 5

Actually, there are already several messages of goodwill from his ENB colleagues on Facebook. He is well loved in ENB and Daria herself has today given him her "best partner, nicest person" award on Facebook!

• Like 4

Well, Daria has no option but to put on a brave face.

Again, that is speculation.  Can we all please stick to what facts we know, rather than try and guess what Vadim/Daria/Tamara and everyone else may be thinking or feeling?

• Like 1

hiya

just joined to say I cant believe how mean some people are. were friends of Vadim and you really have to know ballet dancers read ballet boards and some of the stuff here is unbelievable.

FYI we're all really happy for him and all that horrible stuff? its just nasty gossip if you don't have anything nice to say why are you saying it and why are you making stuff up???

Dancers change company all the time teo just joined RB people move from one company to another all the time.

why cant you just be happy for Vadim? All that stuff about letting people down if you don't know facts dont' make stuff up.

you have no idea how hard ballet is and how much work goes in to it dancers are people and it hurts after all the work to read stuff like this and it's not even true. all this stuff about him betraying Daria and Tamara and being a bad person and that stuff about being chucked out. Why are you making this up?

Its really really insulting and hurtful.

anyway that's all.

• Like 19

BD19, people on this forum are great admirers of Vadim, myself included (he is my favourite dancer at ENB) and wish him well at the RB. His departure from ENB is unusually abrupt for a principal dancer, though, and means that he will not be honouring advertised casting commitments in Madrid and at the RAH. That is what has caused the speculation and, in a few cases, disappointment.

Just adding my voice to the chorus of well-wishers for Vadim, who is not only a wonderful elegant dancer but also radiates niceness and kindness. I'm sure this move was done professionally and perfectly nicely, and I have a feeling that RB and ENB have very good working relations - esp with Miss Rojo at the helm at the latter - and that, even though the news is surprising to all of us (it really is) I'm sure all the higher uppers were in the know from long ago. I wish Vadim well in his new / old home, and I'm delighted that we'll see so much of him in London. I love the ENB and feel sad for it that it has lost a star, but I realise that this is all just a giant moving chess board, as someone said above: I was similarly sad for RB when Alina moved to ENB. These things happen; this is the world of ballet; and for those of us in London (and in the UK) we should just be happy to have two wonderful world-class ballet companies, playing chess with each other. I do feel sorry for all those who can't come to London easily, like Janet, and who will thus perhaps miss seeing Vadim that often, but, in recompense, they'll get Alina! And god knows who next.

Ballet is such an exciting world, it wouldnt be what it is without all these surprises and shocks. After all, who wants it to be a staid old placid world, like most work-places? And I'm so glad that that silly "perilously understarred" business will end now...

Last thought: I feel your pain, Aileen, but I'm sure that there was no letting of anyone down on Vadim's part. Obviously I don't know him at all, but he exudes the "perfect gentleman" from every pore. Vadim if you're reading this: congratulations, and, from the bottom of my heart, good luck.

• Like 17

Sorry to be a crashing bore but I'm not going to speculate or add 2 and 2 and make 5 which seems to be happening all to often on this forum recently.I'd just like to say its been a pleasure to watch Vadim at ENB and I look forward with anticipation to seeing him continue his career with the Royal.

• Like 8

chrischris, you are the source of multiple surprises at the moment!

My apologies: I was reading this on the forum "front page", and must have confused the "latest post" situation with the "original post" situation.  Chinafish was the originator of the thread.

hiya

just joined to say I cant believe how mean some people are. were friends of Vadim and you really have to know ballet dancers read ballet boards and some of the stuff here is unbelievable.

FYI we're all really happy for him and all that horrible stuff? its just nasty gossip if you don't have anything nice to say why are you saying it and why are you making stuff up???

Dancers change company all the time teo just joined RB people move from one company to another all the time.

why cant you just be happy for Vadim? All that stuff about letting people down if you don't know facts dont' make stuff up.

you have no idea how hard ballet is and how much work goes in to it dancers are people and it hurts after all the work to read stuff like this and it's not even true. all this stuff about him betraying Daria and Tamara and being a bad person and that stuff about being chucked out. Why are you making this up?

Its really really insulting and hurtful.

anyway that's all.

Welcome to the forum, BD19. :-)

• Like 2