Getting through injury

Thecatsmother

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the journey back was a bit of a disaster.  They left her on the train for half an hour at Euston.  I was waiting at the taxi rank as they wouldn't let me go on the buggy.  We were keeping in contact and she had been told they knew she was there and they would come back for her.  In the end I went down to the platform myself and collared a member of the Virgin staff.  I'm ashamed to say I used words I'm not supposed to know.  I was worried she would end up going back to Glasgow.  Fortunately a member of the cleaning staff had got her off the train.  They had to find another buggy and it took ages.  This is now 45 minutes after her train arrived. Consequently we missed our connection at Victoria and missed the buggy there.  They did find us another buggy and we caught a later train.  I shall be lodging a complaint for dd being left on a train, but I will be complementing the gentleman from Virgin who shot off down to find her.  I had wondered if I was making a lot of fuss having arranged the assistance, but having walked to the last but one coach and being told that the Virgin trains are 1/3 mile long I am glad I booked it and will be booking it back.  Just hoping it all goes right next time.

She has only one crutch and is getting around quite well. 

My mother had a similar bad experience.Was going to visit her sister who lives in Cormwall.My mum was very frail,and only weighed six stones.I put her bag on the train at Stockport and mum`s sister had telephoned and arranged for mum`s bag to be lifted off the train and carried for her on to the connecting train.[Can`t remember where the connecting train was now;my aunt and uncle live in St.Austell].Anyway, there was no-one there to help my mum with her bag and my mum got all panicky about it. When my Aunty Rita found out she was furious. She sent a very strongly worded letter of complaint,for which she received a letter of apology [as did my mum].Plus the two of them both received a £25 discount voucher to be used on any train journey they wished. It was all very nice of them and everything,but it should never have happened in the first place.

• Like 1

It is lovely to see your news, dear Anjuli. I hope you recover apace and that you can indeed do a some gentle work in your beloved garden. They do need love. Mine looks very forlorn as I have had no time since September. It is V's to love now.

• Like 2

What good news Anjuli glad to see your are progressing well

Could the person who looks after your garden make you some raised beds or a raised planter?  We have over here wooden planters that look like overgrown mangers and are almost waist height.  You can apparently plant quite a bit in them.  I'm not much of a gardener but I would be very upset if I couldn't touch or deadhead.

Hope your progress continues at this nice pace.

• Like 4

It's amazing what you can grow in pots as well.

We do have a lot of plants.... and trees...in pots....including a lebanese cedar!.......and flowers/bulbs as well in the summer. This is because the garden rises uphill behind the house and so is sort of tiered and paved so only the very top bit has soil and is the garden bit. So we have lots of pots on the paved bits growing all sorts of things including herbs. Bulbs are great once the pot has been planted up......so there is a spring display of daffodils followed by day lillies a bit later on etc and they seem to come back every year.....or so far at any rate. So not too high maintenance. A few of the pots are quite big so once they are in place you don't have to do too much bending.

In fact we've probably over done it with all the pots a bit. One of our Australian friends visiting last summer said (wish I could write in a Sydney accent) "you guys starting up some kind of garden centre here then"

• Like 2

So pleased to hear your news Anjuli. Let's hope next year brings continued progress.

I had my first social outing this evening for some time. No walking plaster although it feels a bit strange having got used to it. A glass of champagne to celebrate as no pain for two days. The prospect of foot healing after 17 months is all I want for Christmas and new year. I could manage another glass of champagne though maybe????

• Like 3

So pleased to hear your news Anjuli. Let's hope next year brings continued progress.

I had my first social outing this evening for some time. No walking plaster although it feels a bit strange having got used to it. A glass of champagne to celebrate as no pain for two days. The prospect of foot healing after 17 months is all I want for Christmas and new year. I could manage another glass of champagne though maybe

This is real progress!

• Like 1

Oh, for crying out loud.... 

Just picture the scene - it is Boxing Day and we are at the emergency out-of-hours GP surgery, certainly not somewhere we yearn to be at this time of year, but we thought it was reasonably urgent...

DD has hurt her foot (not dancing, ironically), and it isn't getting better as quickly as it ought to be after a week's complete rest, ice, nurofen etc, and we have come to the conclusion that maybe she has actually damaged something that requires medical attention ASAP. After telephoning the helpline, they tell us to come down pronto as she might need an x-ray. So far, so good.

We explain to the GP (not one of ours) that dd is a dancer and has a rather important engagement very soon, and we are worried that she might have done something that needs looking at urgently, because there isn't much in the way of improvement after a whole week of TLC. We mention several things that we think she might have done, ie: ligament damage / sesamoid / stress fracture and so on, and that we don't want her to do any further damage by dancing on what could potentially be something nastier than a bog-standard bruise. We also mention that she is well used to having sore feet but this is out-of-the-ordinary, and is giving us considerable cause for concern.

He looks at the offending foot, and prods it a bit. He casually pronounces that in his opinion it is probably a bruise and that it will get better in its own good time so she merely needs to rest it, which might take as long as 6 weeks, bearing in mind that there are lots of bones, tendons and ligaments in the foot... (Really? Fancy that! Why do you think we are here, you pillock????)

Does he ask her to stand on it? Wiggle her toes? Point to where it hurts? No. 

So... what else, I hear you ask, does he suggest?

He says that dd seems to have quite a lot of hard skin on her feet and she really ought to remove it with a pumice stone which will make the skin nice and soft. :wacko:  Er... I have to remind him that she dances rather a lot, which is why the hard skin is there. Doh!

At this point dd and I both realise that we are wasting our time, and he hasn't really been listening to a word we have been saying, so we give up in disgust and go home.

AAARRRggghhhh!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you received this attitude taxi.  DD had a similar experience at her local hospital.  Although cannot praise them enough for the care so far with the broken metatarsals. 

Can you get an appointment with a physio or podiatrist?  DD's chiropodist/podiatrist would never touch the hard skin on her feet.  She's seeing him this Monday so he can cut her nails and give her feet the once over.  We're lucky as his sister was a dancer and he has a very good understanding of dancers and their feet.

Hope there is some improvement soon.

• Like 3

Sympathies!!

The problem is with holiday emergency type doctors it's always a bit hit and miss.

You could have had a gem who would possibly even have pushed the boat out more than own GP or as happened with you a rather non seeing average Doc.

We have experienced this range with emergencies for my partner on our travels with his prostate problem which is now fully sorted since his op thank goodness.

But the lack of weekend/ main holiday expertise that the NHS are about to address hasn't really got going yet.

And it's also amazing how often real emergencies needing doctor/dentist trips do manage to coincide with main holidays or weekends!

Hope it's sorted soon for your DD anyway

We're seeing someone privately early next week, and hopefully things will be a fair bit better by then anyway.

What really got to me was that he paid no attention whatsoever when I tried to explain about her dancing and the level she's training at - I suspect he thinks it's a hobby and she prances about in a pink frilly tutu for half-an-hour once a week...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

She'd broken the 4th and 5th metatarsals in her left foot.  She had her second physio treatment yesterday, waiting to hear how that went.  Their first show was last night so I expect she's feeling a bit miserable as everyone will be on a high.

Thanks S & P and Klaris. Dd had some massage and ultrasound yesterday and is feeling much better today, trouble is she itching to get back to dance and is trying to talk me into letting her go. Have told her she will have to wait until after her second treatment on Monday and see how it is then.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

They usually only x-ray about a month after plaster/boot whatever to check the bone is healing okay. If it is they don't usually x-ray again once the plaster comes off......well not unless you were in a lot of pain.

Looks like she will soon be back to normal now then.