Getting through injury

Thecatsmother

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly such things do not really seem to exist in private healthcare in UK other than a GP. On the plus side I did meet in passing a very dishy orthopaedic surgeon who was v interested in talking lisfranc injuries. I would have been happy for him to have looked at it but it was not his job alas...

So far - surgery date:  Dec. 4th 

at 7:15 a.m.

check in at 5:15 a.m.

wake up time:  4 a.m.

Good grief!

that's completely uncivilized.

IMHO, getting up at that time of day is only ever acceptable when going on holiday!

• Like 2

I agree in fact always associate really early times with something exciting like holidays or even Christmas as a child.

Hospital and operations? Not so sure! Who knows some of the "magic" of that time might rub off!!

• Like 1

My generalist says that it is always best to be the first surgery of the day.

Well, I don't know about that - they might be a bit drowsy too.

Yesterday, I completed (hopefully) all the pre-op stuff - and true to the organized chaos of most human activity - it went something iike this:

Me:  called the surgeon's office and asked the "surgical coordinator" for a date (not for lunch) - for the surgery

She: gives me the  date and then casually says "by the way I don't have a signed medical release (stating that I'm medically able to withstand surgery) form from your generalist.

Me.: several calls later I determined the faxed form was never rec'd (or ended up in one of 8 fax machines in one office and she informed me she can't go around checking them all) so (three phone calls later) form was refaxed.  

Me: called generalist clerk - form received - doctor will sign at noon time break.

Me:  called generalist clerk after noon - is paper signed?

She - no - you need an EKG - it's part of the pre-op protocol.

Me.:  When can we do that?

She:  Uh....

Me:; how  about today.  

She: - ok - come in one hour.

Me: I'll be there

I get there and whlle the EKG is under way - she tells me - I need to stop into the lab (on-site thank goodness) for a blood draw (also part of the pre-op protocol).

She - and - oh, ...and, you have to get a chest x-ray - lab (thankfully) is only a mile away.

It's a walk in (no appt necessary) x-ray facility and we joined the hour long line-up.

I am told all results (blood, x-ray) will be (hopefully) on doctor's desk this morning - he will then (hopefully) sign and it will (hopefully) be faxed to "surgical coordinator" (hopefully to the correct one of 8 fax machines).

At no point did anyone call me and say:  You need to have an EKG, etc., etc., as part of the pre-op protocol.

I was told yesterday that the week before - the hospital does all this again.

Anyone want to take bets on how awake the surgical team will be at 5:15 a..m.?

• Like 2

Can anyone share there experience of steroid and anaesthetic injections into joints in feet. Not v good at I think they call it 'rest' so am wondering how many distracting activities I will need. It's into an unstable foot injury so will be well behaved to give it best possible chance....well relatively well behaved????

• Like 2

Can't help with foot injections but I have had many many in my back and hip. One thing to be aware of is that the pain may temporarily get worse before in gets better. The local anaesthetic gives more instant relief after a couple of days, while the steroid is slower acting but lasts longer.

Another thing to look out for is feeling very hot and sweaty a few hours after the injection. Nothing to worry about; it's the steroid IIRC.

Yep - under CT guidance so laying half-in and half-out of a CT machine. Aided by vast amounts of gas & air. :-)

Edited to add that it probably sounds scary but don't panic. I've had so many spinal surgeries that all my nerves are hyper-sensitive and I literally can't bear anyone even touching my back. When I have the injections in my hip I don't have any gas and air. :-)

Home safely. Injection done. Official diagnosis of lisfranc injury caused by ligament tear when I fell. There is a remote chance that I might be able to go a non surgical route but will depend on how it responds. Keeping my toes crossed and resting for day as pretty sore and all I want to do is sit with it elevated. At least something is happening now.

• Like 3

Home safely. Injection done. Official diagnosis of lisfranc injury caused by ligament tear when I fell. There is a remote chance that I might be able to go a non surgical route but will depend on how it responds. Keeping my toes crossed and resting for day as pretty sore and all I want to do is sit with it elevated. At least something is happening now.

Good news that the injection is out of the way AND that you have an official diagnosis. You will be sore for a day or two so do try to rest it. Do you have a follow-up appointment booked?

Wishing you the best, Balleteacher.  At last - things are happening.

As for me, everytime I think of having to get up at 4 am for surgery - my stomach turns.

But, I have gained back almost half of the weight I lost - so that's good.  Thanksgiving dinner should help.

• Like 3

Thank you for the kind wishes. I am driving my family mad as not good at sitting still but at the same time it hurts if it's not elevated. I am a bit like a bluebottle around a light-bouncing off the walls.

I can totally understand your worries Anjuli having slept about 1 hour last night. I guess it's one day at a time but I 'get' the feeling of being trapped as the only way out is through what you fear.

• Like 2