Getting through injury

Thecatsmother

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all - very much.  It is comforting to know people care.  It truly is.

Yes, that is a plus - no 4 am march to the hospital  (always avoid activities that occur before the birds are up)

Suddenly yesterday morning the pain just floored me and I found myself in an ambulance going to the ER.  I told them "no sirens, please."

I was given the choice of being admitted and spending three nights until Friday surgery - or going home and taking Tylnelol big time.  Since the opiates they could  offer me make me violently ill,  I chose to go home.  It was my hero/husband who insisted the surgery get moved up from Dec. 4th. to this Fri..

He's a very quiet man - never raises his voice - but when those green eyes start snapping - and that quiet voice turns to steel - people listen.  

In Oct when I spent three days in the hosp so they could give me an MRI under sedation - and they kept bumping me down the list from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. - no food, no water since the day before - and with each sedation violent stomach protest - he told the head of the hospital (very large city hospital) that what they were doing was torture - suddenly I went to the top of the MRI list.

I am also fortunate that I have a wonderful daughter in law who is an RN and works in another very large hospital right next to the one I am going to.  She stays with me, hovers around like an angel, and keeps an eye on what's going on.  

Everyone needs an advocate.

• Like 7

I wish you all the best Anjuli and as I have said before, your courage inspires me.

I am still struggling to get the information I need to help myself and Google seems to have been my most loyal companion. I know some would frown on this but it has actually been quite reassuring in terms of understanding symptoms etc.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced cortisone flare post a cortisone injection. It is definitely not infected so I can only assume that this is what I am experiencing. Still cannot stand on my foot or sit with it not elevated for more than 5 mins. I think my question is how long is this normal and when does it need to be checked. I not near my GP as currently staying with family until I can walk. The surgeon has been v nice and I feel I am in good hands but it is just hard to communicate with him. Physio does not want to see me until instructed by surgeon so I am stuck somewhat.

I would expect a few days of worsened pain , but after that a call to the GP

Many GP's will call you for a telephone consultation . Possibly the GP could contact the surgical team on your behalf ?!

Failing that if you turned up at A&E post surgery they should call the surgeon to come an take a look !?

• Like 1

Wishing you all the best today Anjuli - hope all goes smoothly. And Balleteacher - hang on in there and I would echo the advice of Billyelliot and make a telephone appointment with your GP. Most surgeries set aside time each day specifically for telephone consultations so it should not be a problem.

• Like 1

Gosh, I haven't really dipped into this thread before but now that I have, I just want to send lots of speedy recovery wishes to you Anjuli_bay and hope your surgery is swift and as pain free as possible.

Also, to everyone else who is suffering - hope you find results and remedies soon for full recoveries x

6 days post cortisone injections and can finally manage with one crutch. Makes me appreciate things in life I take for granted. Getting back to full fitness seems a long way off but at least I can now put weight on my heel again. Sure it was a nerve that got bruised as for last few days been totally non weight bearing as felt like I was standing on pins if I put my foot on the floor. Hopefully will be able to get some advice on Monday and get back to full weight bearing soon.

I will have so much more compassion for people on crutches after this.

• Like 4

I just got home from the hospital - and was tearful reading all your wonderful heartfelt wishes.  So far - all is well.  The sciatic nerve was pinched between a disc and bone.  The doctor said it was very inflamed but not damaged.  I just have to learn again how to walk erect and handle the fear of the pain that has been a part of my life for the past year.  I also have to be careful to not twist, reach or turn in any way - especially the next six weeks.  The surgery took over two hours.  

Dealing with the fear is the hardest part,  I think.

I can't tell you how much all of your wishes - candles - hugs - mean to me.  You are an amazing group of people.  

• Like 10

Well done, Anjuli. I'm so glad the nerve has not been damaged; that bodes well for your recovery. Just be gentle with yourself and your spine now and let everything settle.

So very glad you are home and have got the surgery over with. Take care. xxx

• Like 2

Don't rush things Balleteacher or you will end up going back to square one. Just enjoy Christmas preparations, telling people where to put things etc. You could offer a service for writing everyones Christmas cards out, I hate that job grrr, love sending them but not writing in them ha ha .

• Like 1

Thank you tulip. I just need to get back to my home even if for a few days. I expected to be able to be back home the day after but have ended up being stuck with relatives since Monday. I miss my friends, my clothes and my own bed so am hoping I can get home today and see how I go. There are also v real money worries as my injury at present is impacting my ability to earn from both careers.

I think what Anjuli says is right in that people need an advocate. Since my attempts have not worked too well to date I plan to try and get back to see a Physio so that I can get some sense of what I should and should not do to help aid recovery. I can cope if I have this in place. This had been the problem since I fell in July 2012 as nobody has given me specific advice. It is in part due to it being such a rare injury but now I finally have a diagnosis I am hoping someone can give me some more concrete professional advice. Living with the unknown is in itself frustrating and exhausting. I have had to just try and keep things in the day and totally separate out any emotions about the cause of my injury and how this could have been prevented if the store where I fell had put measures in place.

• Like 4

Glad the op finally over Anjuli speedy recovery now to you.

At least the winter is a time energetically at least for less action and more reflection on all things so no housework and time to find a nice book of poetry to curl up (or sit straight )with.

I know how you feel about crutches Balleteacher after I broke my ankle I had a new respect for crutch users to. Can give you achey shoulders too. Best of luck with your recovery too

• Like 1

Well, I took my first walk holding onto my husband's arm.  We went down 4 steps, across a covered patio, down a sloped driveway (I never noticed the slope when I moved in here at the age of 24), and past the next house - and back again.  I was out of breath - but it was a start.

Then the mail came with a thick envelope containing a  survey about my hospital stay from the United States Department of Health and Human Services to "measure the quality of care in hospitals."

On the bottom of the cover letter was this:

According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a valid OMB control number.  The valid OMB number for this information collection is 0938-0981.  The time required to complete this information collected is estimated to average 8 minutes for questions 1-25 on the survey, including the time to review instructions, search existing data resources, gather the data needed, and complete and review the information collection.  If you have any comments concerning the accuracy of the time estimate(s) or suggestions for improving this form, please write to (address follows).

The government - what's not to love?   

It is tempting to contest the estimation of 8 minutes and spend hours proving it wrong.  :)

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Moving here as suggested from the thread "dk injured but away from home".

DD is still not in a proper boot as they didn't have one small enough!!  It's on order, just hope not delayed too much by the stormy weather.  Have managed to book assistance at all rail stations on her journey home - very impressed - one phone call and it's all sorted!  Just trying to work out in my mind getting her in and out of a taxi. Once she's back we need to look at the Lisa Howell dvd's - any recommendations?

Hope balleteacher and Anjuli are progressing well in their respective recovery.

I think the taxi will be fine if she's managed the trains!!

Mostly things are okay if given time to do do them. Getting up the steps into the train can be tricky but as you've organised help for her I'm sure she'll be fine. It's amazing usually how quickly you find ways to adapt doing things!!

The first time I broke my leg I had to spend a week on my own from Boxing Day onwards!! I had been thoroughly spoilt by my partner R for the first week and then suddenly had to fend for self!!! Help! Anyway I soon worked out how to get a plate of food from the kitchen to the sitting room by using a system of chairs so could pick up and place on each chair without having to walk with crutches and plate etc.....virtually impossible.

After about 4 weeks though wasn't using the crutches around the house at least so things got a lot easier!!

I was just wondering yesterday how your daughter was getting on. When does she make the big journey down south?!

LinMM - journey home is on 20 December which is why I have booked assistance because it will be manic at both Euston where she arrives and Victoria where we depart for home.  She's had to rely on her housemates to get food into the lounge - no chairs to use unfortunately.  Flatmates have been very good.

Janet - I had actually been starting to think about booking a taxi but not sure how you do that with the Black Cabs outside Euston - if anyone knows would be most grateful.

Taxis are fine on crutches. Things that I did not think before accident happened were to have a bag in the form of a rucksack to save running up and down stairs or when travelling. Warm socks if it is an air cast boot which comes off. Something to elevate your foot in bed is also useful plus ice packs if this is part of rehab. Get the Physio to give a clear list of what can and cannot do over hols.

There is a lot that you can do non weight bearing to keep the rest of your body active. I am doing a lot of floor based work. Just got into a routine of spending an hour a day trying to get the rest of me stronger than before my accident.

I see consultant Thurs week.

• Like 3

Usually there's plenty of legroom in proper taxis which is what you need. You sort of go in back first sit down and then swing the legs round afterwards instead of stepping into in the normal fashion! You may not need a special one. But there are some taxis especially for disabilities which can be ordered from house to wherever.....I'm not sure how it works station to station. There must be a black cab general enquiries number for London I would have thought.

Yes the 20th being the end of term for most AND a Friday AND the last friday before Christmas certainly will be busy unfortunately. If you are crossing London by taxi from Euston to Victoria may need to leave about up to an hour for this especially if in the rush hour on fridays between 3 and 7.30pm. I know it will have been a long day but it may be worth getting a slightly later train eg ....after 8pm from Victoria....to get a seat or even worth the extra and pay first class ticket.

However I'm sure most people would give up a seat for your daughter!!

Best of luck with it all anyway x