Good Luck to all at Elmhurst Finals

Belljul

Lil - I think they said about a week - but I think Yr 7s waited a week and a half? (correct me if I am wrong!) But they have to get their offers out quick, because other schools already have, and some may get more than one offer, as well as they are setting deadlines for those with a yes to respond. Sorry if this sounds like utter rubbish! ;) Still trying to think positive, and shift it to back of my mind, haha!

xx

• Like 1

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Home last night to Elmhurst letter (yr 7) - it was a no. Just thought i would post in case anyone is following the thread.

Sorry to hear your news.....good luck for your pending news for the funding final.

• Like 1

Home last night to Elmhurst letter (yr 7) - it was a no. Just thought i would post in case anyone is following the thread.

Thank you for posting, so many times we read people saying they're waiting for the post and then nothing and for those of us following your journey we are left speculating the outcome.

As others have said it's not the end, there are girls dancing in companies and doing well without going away to school at 11.

Hope the wait for Hammond is not too long wish more schools were like Tring and let you know quickly.

• Like 1

I can really feel the heartache of all those who have had disappointing news.

My DD was in a similar position last year after being a RBS JA for 3 years-made WL and Elmhurst finals and short waiting list for RBS mid associates and then wasn't selected for any of these.She felt at the absolute bottom of the ballet rollercoaster. She felt she had failed and her confidence was noticeably knocked for at least 6 months, though her passion for ballet didn't waver. I questioned my own commitment to my DDs pursuit of her dancing dream and whether she was good enough.The support and advice from the other balletcoers encouraged me to enable my DD to reaudition this year with a positive outcome as she is about to take her first steps on the vocational school journey.

So that no may simply be a NOT YET ( I didn't believe that this time last year - but now I do !)

• Like 15

Thanks for sharing your daughters journey celb. I am so pleased to hear it has worked out for now. I always said a "no" from finals would be an indication that it might be worth looking at a change of plan for my DS (just a personal thing) but he wants to keep training and try again next year. I have to support him and you have given me reason to shake off my doubts and keep going. I hope your daughter has a wonderful time at school. xx

• Like 2

You may feel differently in a few months C4D, if your dd begs you to let her audition again! I think for year 8 and above places we go into them in a different frame of mind - almost letting the children go to audition purely to be seen and to keep the audition experience fresh....knowing how rare funded places post year 7 are.

It's a very personal choice; some people audition every year without fail; others audition again for a year 9 or 10 place, still others choose to concentrate on training and associate classes and leave the audition circuit for a while.

Mind you, even if you don't audition until 6th form, it can still happen! :-)

• Like 1

Just bear in mind, if you're sticking with the ballet route, it will be much much harder to get in at 6th form as you're then competing with children that have been at ballet school for 5 years already!

Hammond might still come good...!!

On a more positive note - there are more options for sixth form (eg ENBS, Central, RSAMD, not to mention the many schools which offer a wider curriculum) and not everyone who goes to vocational school at 11 continues on the ballet route at 16 - some out of choice and some because the option isn't open to them for one reason or another. There does tend to be a general reshuffling at 16 and it's where you end up for this stage of your training that really matters.

With good local training, determination, talent and luck (!) it can be done.

• Like 1

Spanner, I think that's the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Dance.

Aurora, it might be surprising, but more than a few young people who have spent five years at vocational school quit the ballet route altogether at 16!

• Like 1

There are still alot of Avenues to explore at age 16 Plus regardless if children have been to vocational school or not a good teacher and determination in Dancers is a good attitude to have dancers who want to reach there full potential never give up and there chance will come one day in some kind of way .

• Like 1

I was told the story of a girl (a friend of a friend) who was at white lodge from year 7, and survived every year without fail. Then, after gaining her place at royal sixth form, she quit to try a career in hairdressing.

Some would give their right arm for the opportunities she got, but her heart wasn't in it.

LB x

• Like 4

Isnt it the same for most of us, we long to have or own something but as soon as we have had it, it isn't always what we had imagined, or you then just move on to the next want.

I guess that's why its important they have an academic opportunity as well so they can change their minds.

• Like 6