Good Luck to all at Elmhurst Finals

Belljul

Hugs and commiserations for the no's, and many congrats, Lala! :-))

Don't forget the no's aren't saying "never", they're just saying "not this year". It doesn't have to mean the end of the dream. :-)

• Like 2

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a no for us too - has anyone had a Yes or are they keeping all their options open for Japanese auditions next wk?? Sorry to sound so cynical but my DD has not bounced back, her big sister is already at Elmhurst and she has been waiting 2 years for her chance to join her and now it's over. She's devastated. I am so proud of her as she could not have done more, if it wasn't enough well wasn't to be. Congratulations to all those with a Yes, your daughters must be pretty amazing! I have an amazing girl too and her chance will come to shine. xx ps good luck to all those with auditions next wk xx

• Like 10

I know how you feel wildflowers, I know everyone keeps saying its such an achievement to get to the finals but the kids don't see it like that, at the end of the day they are kids and it really is hard for them. My dd has been offered a place at Hammond but if she doesn't get an MDS we won't be able to send her so that will be really hard too. Big hugs to your dd I hope she feels better soon xxx

• Like 1

Many, many congratulations to Lala and Evie and your children :D - how exciting for you all. I usually try to see the show on the same day as the induction day, so perhaps I'll get to say hello! I'll be the one crying lots when the 6.3s are dancing!!

And commiserations to those with a "no" today. It is a horrible feeling, and even though your head tells you it's not the end of the world, there's always another year etc etc, it is still a huge disappointment to have got "so near, yet so far". It'll pass....

• Like 3

Well done to anyone with a yes and commiserations to those with a no - unfortunately it was a no for us too for a year 8 place.

The way I like to look at it is that with fewer MDS places available for Sept 2012 and so many good dancers around it is not a reflection on talent or potential just a reflection on the lack of funding available to support dance.

• Like 4

Well done your daughter lala and also to evie and her son. Good to hear of the boys getting places although we are so sad it is not us. Wildflowers sending a huge hug to your daughter. It is so hard for the siblings who have been working towards that goal and it is not to be at the moment anyway. I think time will ease the disappointment but boy its hard. Xxx

• Like 1

Well done your daughter lala and also to evie and her son. Good to hear of the boys getting places although we are so sad it is not us. Wildflowers sending a huge hug to your daughter. It is so hard for the siblings who have been working towards that goal and it is not to be at the moment anyway. I think time will ease the disappointment but boy its hard. Xxx

Belljul, a hug right back. It's a double whammy of a No - the rejection from the school is bad enough but when your sibling is there, it's a daily reminder of what could have been. As you say, time will help but think we'll have a few hurdles on the way. DD has picked herself up today, whereas my lovely dancing DD is struggling, she suffers from homesickness and she so wanted her little sis with her. Got it at both ends! Sorry folks, I'm not offering any words of comfort or reassurance, this is the harsh reality and it's tough :(

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for all those with a no and I hope you all keep dancing, you're all special to have got so far and good luck for the future and with funding auditions this week.

We are very lucky at this house my dd has a yes for yr 7:)

• Like 7

Don't know of any waiting list offers - maybe that' s the spaces they are keeping for the Japanese!! Well that's 3 little girls whose chances may have been different if those who already had WL offers (which they knew they would take) hadn't turned up for Elm finals. Sorry if i'm offending anyone on this forum but if you'd had the weekend i'd had you would feel the same. You did well to get finals doesn't cut it when a British school is offering places to DD's who don't want them then goes to Tokyo to try and fill beds that could easily be filled with our own home grown talent. If it's down to money then what is the future for British Ballet. For anyone who knows me i'm not normally so cross and cynical but my DD been devastated this wk end and I'm trying so hard to find an answer which will make feel her better. :( I genuinely have best wishes for those with a yes, it is an amazing achievement, please please believe me. I'm just hurting so much and trying to fix a broken child xx

Why would anyone go to the Elmhurst final and waste everyone's time if they had already decided to take an offer from White Lodge? This is one of the reasons why White Lodge do their final first and get their results out first.

My heart goes out to you and your DD's wildflowers. I had this conversation v recently as we too know of people who have done the same thing all knowing they were going to except WL places. It made me so so so cross. I think it is extremely selfish.

• Like 1

Why would anyone go to the Elmhurst final and waste everyone's time if they had already decided to take an offer from White Lodge? This is one of the reasons why White Lodge do their final first and get their results out first.

Totally agree Ribbons and dragonfly. My DD has had options of finals and if we'd got the choice we wanted, we'd never have gone to another final for a place we knew we'd never take. In fairness i need to remember that this is our 2nd time around and we were told with our elder DD it's not just about the right child for the school but the right school for the child, so perhaps they just had to see for themselves, that said, i don't know many people who would turn WL down.

The overseas thing is what gets me most - my DH is fizzing... our balance of ballet trade is totally negative - we seem to import foreign funded students and export homegrown British tax paying talent... something is wrong with our balance of ballet trade 'aka the economy'!!

I mean no offense to anyone, it's sunday evening blues after a very tough weekend which has us challenging everything xx

Edited to add dragonfly

Edited by wildflowers

I agree that if a child who has been offered WL is sure they are definately going to accept the place then it is unfair of them to attend finals elsewhere but it has been known for people to chose somewhere else like Elmhurst over WL for a whole variety of reasons. Then of course they will attend the finals whilst keeping WL as a backup as strange as that may seem to many.

• Like 1

My dd on waiting list for wl, but having dancers who'd been offered WL that had no reflection on her at Elmhurst final as she got yes. Not everyone that gets a yes at WL gets Elmhurst and not everyone that gets Elmhurst gets WL.

But I think that maybe some parents of dancers who'd already been offered wl just wanted to make sure their dd/ds had made the correct choice.

The deadline to accept a place is so short that even if Elmhurst had been their 1st choice you'd have to accept wl cos if you didn't you miss the deadline.

You can't really judge people without the whole story, as hard as it is to be given a no, you've no guarantee it would have been a yes if these dancers hadn't gone to finals.

I'm sure everyone does what they think is best for their child.

Unfortunately there aren't enough places for all the talented dancers out there, but you've got this far at your current school - as been said before it's only a no for now not a never. What's worse getting a no now and maybe a yes later or a yes now and to lose that place to someone who got a no originally - just food for thought.

• Like 5

I think its more about playing the game. After all WL assess out every year and if you've been seen by Elmhurst then they might just remember you.I thought the ultimate prize for any ballerina was RBS why would you audition there, get offered a place and turn it down?

• Like 1

Please don't think that they're "saving spaces" for Japanese students - most of the places at Elmhurst are funded through the MDS scheme now, and the Japanese students can't have those.

I understand your frustration with those who know they want to take a WL place but still attend the Elmhurst audition - if they know for certain that they want to take WL and are only doing the Elmhurst audition so they can say they were offered both (if they are!!). There are people who do that - and IMHO it is wrong. However, as Spooky says, I would be pleased to hear that there are people who are offered WL but would consider taking Elmhurst instead - perhaps it's closer to home, they have another child already there, or they just prefer the feel of the school. But, no matter how much I would like to believe that's the case (and certainly we're starting to head that way) - honestly I don't think there are many people who would take Elmhurst if they've been offered WL.

However, if someone does that and ends up taking WL and turning down Elmhurst, that means some lucky child from the waiting list gets good news (and quite soon, as decisions have to be made pretty swiftly). Again - don't think that a British child has lost out because someone's turned down a space - there are several "waiting in the wings" on the waiting list.

Just read Oldermum's comment while I've been typing and I agree that perhaps it's so soon after getting the WL offer that they don't feel they've made a proper choice until they've been to both - although I think WL want to have an answer well before you'd get the result from Elmhurst so it doesn't really all add up.

And Evie - I have known people turn down WL - but they auditioned because they thought they should and wanted to see if they could get in, without actually wanting to send their child away to school.

• Like 3

Why would parents put their children through this very stressful and expensive process just to see if they can get in. This is dancing mothers at there worst! What happens when they open those letters with a big fat Yes and you say oh sorry little daisy you''re not really going!!! Dont get it!

I agree that if a child who has been offered WL is sure they are definately going to accept the place then it is unfair of them to attend finals elsewhere but it has been known for people to chose somewhere else like Elmhurst over WL for a whole variety of reasons. Then of course they will attend the finals whilst keeping WL as a backup as strange as that may seem to many.

Completely agree Spooky, if you know you will accept then it is different but even so that child has earned the right to audition at finals regardless of other results and there is a financial and logistical differencse with the schools that perhaps parents are waiting to see what offers they have before they choose. Not everyone offered WL places gets an Elmhurst place. WL isnt always a first choice for everyone.

This situation is exactly why schools have waiting lists - when my daughter was in Y7 there was an offer of a funded place to a student as late as June for a Sept start. Its all shuffles around as people dont actually find out what the parental contributions are until much later in the year and some just cant afford it.

Obviously a no is still a no and it is hard to understand when no information as to why is available - although knowing why doesnt always help as you would disagree in most cases anyway.

• Like 2