Transport Issues: Strikes, Engineering Works, Bad Weather, etc.

54 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

due to the size of the group and the location of the apartment, it works out that if a person spends 12 nights a year there, they save 30-35% or more depending on what class of hotel they'd normally book.

Interesting @Sophoife...so how much annual  rent/other outgoings would that be per "occasional" person (i.e. other than one of the two official tenants, who presumably pay a lot more, since one or other of them is there all the time)?

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, alison said:

I don't know if this will be of any benefit to Avanti passengers:

The UK's huge new plan for new train line linking Scotland with 12 major cities (msn.com)

The railway companies have long assumed that people from Liverpool don't want to visit Scotland and getting there by train can be a total nightmare (speaking from experience!).

6 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The railway companies have long assumed that people from Liverpool don't want to visit Scotland and getting there by train can be a total nightmare (speaking from experience!).

It seems to me that all train companies and ministry departments, think that all rail journeys go via London

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

It seems to me that all train companies and ministry departments, think that all rail journeys go via London

But that even in London, no-one really needs trains at the weekends.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

You mean there are trains that go somewhere other than London??  :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Which may as well be the case, given how terrible trains tend to be between any 2 places that aren't London. For instance there is a direct train between Cambridge & Birmingham but it's so slow that it takes about the same amount of time to go from Cambridge down to London & then up to Birmingham.

• Like 1

If anyone else is coming into London via Liverpool Street this evening then there's potential delays due to overhead wire problems at Hackney Downs. https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/hackney-downs-20240315/

I'm hoping that giving myself an hour and a quarter between when my train should get into Liverpool Street & curtain up time will be sufficient....

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Tube strike announced for Monday 8th April and Saturday 4th May (a double show day)

Thanks the the heads up - but Jack's alright, as I have nothing on the 8th April, and May the 4th (Star Wars Day) is Guineas Day at Newmarket, so I wouldn't have been going out anyway 🙂

Train drivers too. (Both Tube and rail strikes are ASLEF strikes).

Train drivers will strike at Avanti West Coast, East Midlands railway, West Midlands rrains, and CrossCountry on Friday 5 April; at Chiltern, GWR, LNER, Northern, and TransPennine trains on Saturday 6 April; and at c2c, Greater Anglia, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, Southeastern, Southern/Gatwick Express, South Western railway mainline and depot drivers, and SWR Island Line on Monday 8 April.

Members will also refuse to work their rest days – non-contractual overtime – from Thursday 4 to Saturday 6 April and from Monday 8 to Tuesday 9 April.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 2

Do you know exact times of strike as I’m up for triple on 9th! 
Does it start at midnight on the Sunday to midnight on the Monday or other time? 

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I can see the info about mainline trains but nothing about the tube strike 

I'm the opposite

Edit: The article I first saw has now been extended to include information about the train strikes 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/20/london-underground-drivers-strike-april-may

Edited by Rob S

@LinMM, BBC and the broadsheets have covered both strikes on their websites but they are different articles. So you have search them separately.

The 9 April one is an overtime ban. So you should be able to get trains to Charing Cross or City Thameslink/Blackfriars if you leave earlier thah usual but you may find that there are lots of cancellations throughout  the day, and your train going home after the show might be very congested because the passengers who have been cancelled earlier are all trying to get on the same train as well. 

Edited by Emeralds

24 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Members will also refuse to work their rest days – non-contractual overtime – from Thursday 4 to Saturday 6 April and from Monday 8 to Tuesday 9 April.

I fortunately don't have anything booked on the actual strike days but I'm eyeing up the overtime ban dates with trepidation as I was thinking of potentially seeing the MacMillan triple on 4th April (depending on how much I enjoy it on 27th) & it's very difficult on overtime ban days to know how many trains are likely to actually be running.

I usually find Thameslink run a set service every half an hour instead of usual every 15 mins one when it’s just overtime ban etc so looks like the 8th is the only non starter….the 9th should be okayish and have all day to get there. I will be travelling back on 10th so again have all day to get back ….so am personally rather lucky the main strike day is on the 8th. 

The train crawled into Broxbourne, 2 policemen got on & removed a man! I don't know what's going on as I hadn't heard any disruption & I was only about half a carriage away. I've swapped onto another train that we were told was leaving first & is heaving. It doesn't help that all the trains today are going via Stratford for some reason thus extending the journey time.

@Suffolkgal Hope you make it. The trains have been a flipping nightmare this season. The only reason I'm venturing on them on a Bank Holiday is because I can't get to this cast's other performance next Saturday as I have no trains then due to engineering.

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The train crawled into Broxbourne, 2 policemen got on & removed a man! I don't know what's going on as I hadn't heard any disruption & I was only about half a carriage away. I've swapped onto another train that we were told was leaving first & is heaving. It doesn't help that all the trains today are going via Stratford for some reason thus extending the journey time.

@Suffolkgal Hope you make it. The trains have been a flipping nightmare this season. The only reason I'm venturing on them on a Bank Holiday is because I can't get to this cast's other performance next Saturday as I have no trains then due to engineering.

Good luck @Dawnstar! I hope you get there in time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made it. I bailed onto the tube at Tottenham Hale, as I could see I wouldn't have time to walk from Liverpool Street. I suppose if I can get delay repay compensation it might just about cover the tube fare!

I also seem to have lost a pair of gloves en route.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm stuck on a train that's been sitting between Roydon & Broxbourne for nearly half an hour. I'm losing hope of making it to Swan Lake this evening.

Oh no! How annoying. 

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

How strange. Sorry you had to swap trains and then it was really full - that's horrible! No idea why the trains are going via Stratford, though that has been happening a lot recently.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Made it. I bailed onto the tube at Tottenham Hale, as I could see I wouldn't have time to walk from Liverpool Street. I suppose if I can get delay repay compensation it might just about cover the tube fare!

I also seem to have lost a pair of gloves en route.

Glad you got there. I always get off at Tottenham Hale and then change from the Victoria line to the Piccadilly at Finsbury Park now - I mean, seriously, why didn't I know that was so much easier than going to King's Cross?! 😂 I hope you get the delay compensation, though applying for it is so long-winded (well it has been for me) I almost didn't think it was worth the effort!  Sorry you've lost your gloves. I lost mine walking around Marks and Spencer's in the colder weather. The weird thing is, nobody handed them in! Why anyone would want my gloves is beyond me. 

I hope you enjoy tonight. Is it Nunez and Muntagirov? If it is, I know you will have a wonderful time, as they are amazing! :) 

Edited by Linnzi5

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

How strange. Sorry you had to swap trains and then it was really full - that's horrible! No idea why the trains are going via Stratford, though that has been happening a lot recently.

Glad you got there. I always get off at Tottenham Hale and then change from the Victoria line to the Piccadilly at Finsbury Park now - I mean, seriously, why didn't I know that was so much easier than going to King's Cross?! 😂 I hope you get the delay compensation, though applying for it is so long-winded (well it has been for me) I almost didn't think it was worth the effort!  Sorry you've lost your gloves. I lost mine walking around Marks and Spencer's in the colder weather. The weird thing is, nobody handed them in! Why anyone would want my gloves is beyond me.

I've not been on a train that was going via Stratford before. I had assumed it was just today because of the Bank Holiday so I hope it doesn't become a regular thing. Yes, changing tube lines at Finsbury Park is so much quicker & easier than at Kings Cross. I've realised that as I don't know what time my original train ended up getting into Liverpool Street I probably won't be able to do delay repay because I think you have to say how long you were delayed for. I also can't face trying to find out what Greater Anglia do with lost property. I'm guessing they may not even bother keeping low value items like gloves.

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain it does.  All you should need is the departure time, the time it should have got to your destination, and the time the train you got onto got to its destination, I think.  Drop me a PM if you need help!

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2024 at 12:37, Emeralds said:

Train drivers too. (Both Tube and rail strikes are ASLEF strikes).

Train drivers will strike at Avanti West Coast, East Midlands railway, West Midlands rrains, and CrossCountry on Friday 5 April; at Chiltern, GWR, LNER, Northern, and TransPennine trains on Saturday 6 April; and at c2c, Greater Anglia, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, Southeastern, Southern/Gatwick Express, South Western railway mainline and depot drivers, and SWR Island Line on Monday 8 April.

Hadn't realised until I saw it on the train indicators today that that's a lot of the local London train providers on strike the same day as the London tube.  That is going to be horrendous.