Transport Issues: Strikes, Engineering Works, Bad Weather, etc.

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour). I was also told there’s still a shortage of replacement bus drivers so there might be some waiting around involved.

This was to be my first trip up to London since my accident so a bit nervous anyway so decided in spite of a great cast the pain would be more than the gain! 
However all is not lost as discovered yesterday that the encore cinema showing of last Wednesdays Manon performance is on in Brighton on  Tuesday afternoon so will be going to that with a ballet friend instead 🙂

Have still got Fumi and Vadim to look forward to on the 27th and weekdays are usually okay for travel! 

• Like 3

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour). I was also told there’s still a shortage of replacement bus drivers so there might be some waiting around involved.

So sorry to hear that @LinMM as I know what you’re going through. I very frequently have Thameslink issues to contend with at the northern end of the line! 😬

I’m sure you will enjoy the cinema relay. 😃

• Like 1

I had a similar issue last weekend with strikes and engineering so massively sympathise. I was fortunate to be able to stay with an old chum … but had extra expense of putting beloved cats into their hotel! It’s been a right old bore trying to get in and out these past months. So I am so sorry for your troubles and hope you enjoy the future performance!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LinMM said:

This was to be my first trip up to London since my accident so a bit nervous anyway so decided in spite of a great cast the pain would be more than the gain! 
However all is not lost as discovered yesterday that the encore cinema showing of last Wednesdays Manon performance is on in Brighton on  Tuesday afternoon so will be going to that with a ballet friend instead 🙂

Have still got Fumi and Vadim to look forward to on the 27th and weekdays are usually okay for travel!

I didn't realise that Thameslink was going to be screwed south of London as well next weekend. I know it'll be screwed north of London because of the East Coast mainline signalling works. If I manage to get a rush ticket for 17th matinee then I'll be busy praying that the Liverpool Street line behaves itself, as it'll be my only option. There are times when it feels like half the trains in the country aren't running at weekends!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I didn't realise that Thameslink was going to be screwed south of London as well next weekend. I know it'll be screwed north of London because of the East Coast mainline signalling works. 

oh no, I have a matinee ticket for 17th! Off to check the website…..

said:

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour). I was also told there’s still a shortage of replacement bus drivers so there might be some waiting around involved.

Expand  

I am puzzled by this.  I too live in Brighton and am not aware of any replacement buses on 17th -  just that the journey will take more than twice as long via a lengthy route via Littlehampton.   I am prepared to live with this for the sake of seeing Francesca and Marcelino, but wouldn't contemplate the bus replacement fiasco, if that is what's happening.  But I have checked the rail website and can see no mention of bus replacement anywhere en route.  Any clarifying info would be appreciated. 

I found it on the website when you go into the date section and then double checked at the station. It’s the same the next weekend too (24/25th) ..I’ve got a print out they gave me. 
I know about the Littlehampton route though they didn’t mention that option at Brighton station on the day I called in.  Usually the bus option used to be quicker but not this time. 
They are short of bus drivers so going via Haywards Heath as well instead of directly to Three Bridges. I was warned that there could be some waiting around involved too for drivers etc. 

I got this info about two weeks ago now so don’t know if anything has changed since.  Perhaps there are so few drivers they’ve abandoned that and gone just  for the Littlehampton option. Wouldn’t surprise me. 
Another journey which takes 2 and a half hours or so! 
Im not so keen these days to do five hours or more travelling in one day to see shows though I know some people do just not for me any more! 

I’ve just found the print out and I was at the station on Feb3rd 

Edited by LinMM

5 hours ago, Kate Eastwood said:
said:

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour). I was also told there’s still a shortage of replacement bus drivers so there might be some waiting around involved.

Expand  

I am puzzled by this.  I too live in Brighton and am not aware of any replacement buses on 17th -  just that the journey will take more than twice as long via a lengthy route via Littlehampton.   I am prepared to live with this for the sake of seeing Francesca and Marcelino, but wouldn't contemplate the bus replacement fiasco, if that is what's happening.  But I have checked the rail website and can see no mention of bus replacement anywhere en route.  Any clarifying info would be appreciated. 

Buses replace trains between Three Bridges and Brighton / Hove / Lewes on Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 February
Date:
17 February - 18 February 2024 11:59 PM

Routes affected:
Gatwick Express between London Victoria and BrightonSouthern between London Victoria / London Bridge and Brighton / Lewes / Eastbourne / LittlehamptonThameslink between Bedford / Peterborough / Cambridge / London Bridge and Brighton

Engineering work is taking place between Haywards Heath and Brighton, closing all lines. 

For the full info: 

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/planned-engineering-work?date=2024-02-17#engineering-departure-board

You might well have a Southern trains route that is near or easily connected to where you live that LinMM doesn't have. Hope that helps!

Edited by Emeralds

Thank you LinMM for the travel info.

And Emeralds too -  sorry.  Alll travel info very helpful and much appreciated.   Thank you for taking the time to respond so fully.

Hi Kate Eastwood I’ve signed up for any advanced engineering notices warning with Thameslink as that’s the line I use the most when going up to London but found out current info before they emailed me!! 
I’ve always avoided the “Littlehampton trip” having done it once ( was a nightmare coming back) and gone for what used to be the direct bus (straight up A.23 ) to Three Bridges alternative ..because it was quicker and there were plenty of buses!! 
However it’s not been the same since Covid ……as with those really cheap tickets you could get on Southern by choosing to travel on a particular train! No longer available from Brighton station. 
I’m always glad when it gets to about May when they don’t work on that bit of the line  quite so much. 

Anyway as you are braving the Littlehampton route wishing you all the luck and I hope you enjoy Manon on Saturday as I’d certainly loved to have seen Hayward and Sambe in the main roles…originally my first choice. 
I do have Kaneko and Muntagirov to look forward to in a couple of weeks as luckily can get to more week day performances now retired. 

Can we please move transport conversations eisewhere?   

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

Can we please move transport conversations eisewhere?   

I couldn't agree more. Comments complaints and advice take up too much space which should be devoted to ballet discussion. It's not that I'm unsympathetic, my last 4 weekends have been nearly ruined by train cancellation problems en route to or from ballet and I very nearly cancelled going to London this coming weekend as Kings Cross will be shut again. But I'm beginning to think there should be a complete new and ongoing thread devoted to transport issues.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I couldn't agree more. Comments complaints and advice take up too much space which should be devoted to ballet discussion. It's not that I'm unsympathetic, my last 4 weekends have been nearly ruined by train cancellation problems en route to or from ballet and I very nearly cancelled going to London this coming weekend as Kings Cross will be shut again. But I'm beginning to think there should be a complete new and ongoing thread devoted to transport issues.

Agree.

Unfortunately, time and again one opens a new post in a thread which appears related to a performance only to find that the latest entry is about transport issues.

[It's not that I don't sympathise - I do - but the balance goes a bit awry on occasion.]

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

But I'm beginning to think there should be a complete new and ongoing thread devoted to transport issues.

The 'industrial action' thread does I think also contain posts relating to engineering works etc. So maybe if would be helpful if that thread could be re-named? (I actually find these transport posts very absorbing and am full of admiration for members who make long treks and fight constant disruption to get to performances!).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.  This is a new thread for all things transport related.  Please post here about any problems with planes, trains, automobiles, buses, and anything else that might help people in planning their trips to venues.   Or, you may just wish to rant!  That's ok too.  

I will start:  when I drove into Sadler's Wells to see La Strada it was a Sunday afternoon.  I didn't notice that SW is within the London congestion charging zone (just).  So last week I received a penalty notice from the lovely Islington Council for £90 for not having paid the charge.  I mean, £90.  That's if pay within 14 days.  After that, it doubles.  They are robbers and it infuriates me.  I liked La Strada, but not THAT much!  So take heed if you are thinking of driving down to The Wells.

• Like 3

Don't forget ULEZ charge for those driving in from outside Greater London and may not realise this is now in effect, although most cars which are not diesel engines should be exempt (can easily check online on the gov.uk website)

• Thanks 1

The congestion charge zone starts just the Sadler's Wells side of the crossroads by Angel station, I think - and has done for many years.

I think there's a strong argument for keeping the rail and other public transport strike action news threads separate for the time being, until such time as the situation is resolved.  It was difficult enough keeping track of what was happening when when they weren't separate, and I certainly wouldn't want to see the vital information in them getting drowned in a general "transport" thread.   Or, for that matter, all the rail special offers.  But I see no reason why we couldn't have a more general transport discussion/moan thread in the discussion forum as well.  And that way people who aren't interested can just ignore it without worrying that they might be missing potentially important information.

11 minutes ago, alison said:

The congestion charge zone starts just the Sadler's Wells side of the crossroads by Angel station, I think - and has done for many years.

I think there's a strong argument for keeping the rail and other public transport strike action news threads separate for the time being, until such time as the situation is resolved.  It was difficult enough keeping track of what was happening when when they weren't separate, and I certainly wouldn't want to see the information in them getting lost in a general "transport" thread.   Or, for that matter, all the rail special offers.  But I see no reason why we couldn't have a more general transport discussion/moan thread in the discussion forum as well.  And that way people who aren't interested can just ignore it without worrying that they might be missing potentially important information.

I disagree....I think everything transport related should be in the same place, then people will know where to go to check things.  Otherwise we have two or three separate threads all pertaining to transport!  If the strike situation gets sorted out, then hopefully there won't be too many posts about that anyway.  

• Like 1

Well, here's something I can moan about - talk about making the London Underground map more complicated than it already is!  Personally, I'm perfectly happy seeing all the Overground lines in orange, because then I know that they're Overground lines, and (roughly) where they go.  Otherwise, they'll just be individual lines with no obvious connection with each other.

"We're naming the London Overground lines to make the network easier to navigate and reflect the Capital's diverse history. We aim to make the changes by the end of 2024. 

Each of the 6 routes that make up the London Overground will be given a new name and its own colour. Giving each of the 6 London Overground routes an individual line colour lets us improve the way our customers experience our network. It also gives each line their own name and identity.

• Euston to Watford Junction line – will be called the Lioness line – and will be yellow 
  • Stratford to Richmond/Clapham Junction line - will be called the Mildmay line – and will be blue 
  • Highbury & Islington to New Cross/Crystal Palace/West Croydon/Clapham Junction line – will be called the Windrush line - and will be red
  • Liverpool Street to Cheshunt/Enfield Town/Chingford line – will be called the Weaver line – and will be maroon
  • Gospel Oak to Barking Riverside line – will be called the Suffragette line – and will be green
  • Romford to Upminster line – will be called the Liberty line – and will be grey"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, here's something I can moan about - talk about making the London Underground map more complicated than it already is!  Personally, I'm perfectly happy seeing all the Overground lines in orange, because then I know that they're Overground lines, and (roughly) where they go.  Otherwise, they'll just be individual lines with no obvious connection with each other.

"We're naming the London Overground lines to make the network easier to navigate and reflect the Capital's diverse history. We aim to make the changes by the end of 2024. 

Each of the 6 routes that make up the London Overground will be given a new name and its own colour. Giving each of the 6 London Overground routes an individual line colour lets us improve the way our customers experience our network. It also gives each line their own name and identity.

• Euston to Watford Junction line – will be called the Lioness line – and will be yellow 
  • Stratford to Richmond/Clapham Junction line - will be called the Mildmay line – and will be blue 
  • Highbury & Islington to New Cross/Crystal Palace/West Croydon/Clapham Junction line – will be called the Windrush line - and will be red
  • Liverpool Street to Cheshunt/Enfield Town/Chingford line – will be called the Weaver line – and will be maroon
  • Gospel Oak to Barking Riverside line – will be called the Suffragette line – and will be green
  • Romford to Upminster line – will be called the Liberty line – and will be grey"

There is nothing about this that I like.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, alison said:

I am really hoping that whoever announced/proposed the renaming was joking. 

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Sadly not.  

It's awful isn't it, @Sim and @alison- names of lines are supposed to be helpful. Eg Northern Line connects North London to central London, Piccadilly line goes  through Piccadilly Circus, Circle Line is circular and connects each of the lines to each other. Yes, Jubilee and Elizabeth are outliers in that regard but they are exceptions.

These names (apart from maybe Mildmay) feel like they are not meant to be taken seriously. By all means name a building Windrush or Lionesses but nobody is going to say "I'm going on the Suffragette line". (Too easy to mock it by saying "I'm suffering on the Suffragette line". Never pick names that are too easy to make memes or bad jokes with). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I am really hoping that whoever announced/proposed the renaming was joking. 

I assumed at first that this was a parody. Or an April Fool on the wrong date. 

• Like 4

Having said that yesterday, and since looked at the current Underground map, I realise that now we have all the Thameslink lines and the Elizabeth Line etc. it's far more of a complicated mess than it used to be, so maybe another half-dozen colours won't make much difference, but I'd still rather keep the whole Overground one colour.  I'm sure TfL could have found more vital uses for £6 million.  I mean, the colour overwhelm is something like the ROH seating plan when there are too many colours and it's difficult to tell them apart.

Edited by alison
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Sim said:

I will start:  when I drove into Sadler's Wells to see La Strada it was a Sunday afternoon.  I didn't notice that SW is within the London congestion charging zone (just).  So last week I received a penalty notice from the lovely Islington Council for £90 for not having paid the charge.  I mean, £90.  That's if pay within 14 days.  After that, it doubles.  They are robbers and it infuriates me.  I liked La Strada, but not THAT much!  So take heed if you are thinking of driving down to The Wells.

I feel your pain. And for anyone who doesn't already have one, get a TFL account, which automatically takes the £15 charge but doesn't impose a fine if you unwittingly enter the zone during charging hours. I was caught a little while back for crossing the Regents Park congestion charge boundary one minute before 6.00 - annoyingly I thought I'd timed my entry perfectly - but at least I wasn't hit with a fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, and the rebranding apparently cost £6m.

Really sorry about your fine Sim! I’m not up to date with congestion charges now as I thought they didn’t charge at weekends!! 
I know my partner when he has to go to Islington drives a bit of a roundabout route into London from Brighton to avoid it but these days still gets hit with the ULEZ charge so not too happy about that!! 
I know with things like the Dartford crossing which we use quite a bit it’s best to register and it automatically tops up when gets down to about £10 but saves you worrying having to find somewhere to pay it within a prescribed timescale otherwise. 

Things went a bit awry with his carefully planned route via Hackney to Liverpool Road after Covid when suddenly found he couldn’t drive along certain roads always had been able to before and narrowly escaped being fined for turning into the wrong road refinding his way. 

• Like 1

They didn't used to charge at weekends, but now they do.  Our delightful mayor started that just after the pandemic to recoup lost money, and I can't see that it will ever go away now.  As always, it is those with the least money who suffer the most and are penalised, just like with the ridiculous ULEZ.  

• Like 4

Not related to any theatregoing unless one counts watching ballet cinema relays, but if it's any consolation, @Sim, our local council (opposite political party to your mayor) makes money by putting parking restrictions in areas where you can't see where and what time they start unless you scrutinise the council website in the exact areas you think you might have to park before setting off. No signs, no demarcation, no lines. It's totally invisible but reportedly exists.

If you are just 1.5 metres out (like I was) you get a nasty fine (like the one you received) too. As usual, if you try to query it, you can end up with the fine doubled while waiting for their response. The poor restauranteurs and shop owners suffer the most as customers dare not visit in the daytime if they can't get one of the very few parking spaces that are in the invisible legal area.

5 hours ago, Sim said:

As always, it is those with the least money who suffer the most and are penalised, just like with the ridiculous ULEZ.  

yes, well, ULEZ not ridiculous for those whose child has asthma, or even dies from air pollution

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

yes, well, ULEZ not ridiculous for those whose child has asthma, or even dies from air pollution

But it is ridiculous for all those who have livelihoods that depend on their cars, vans, or other transport and are now expected to pay £12-15 every day, often on top of the congestion charge.  Not everyone can afford to replace their vehicles so they are stuck.  Anyway, this is not the place to discuss it...happy to debate with you next time we are at the ROH together!