Transport Issues: Strikes, Engineering Works, Bad Weather, etc.

On 22/04/2024 at 16:59, Dawnstar said:

I'm very hacked off at the latest strike dates as I was planning to see Winter's Tale on 7th May, which I now definitely won't be able to get to, and Swan Lake on 9th May, which might now be problematic. I suppose I'll have to see that Winter's Tale cast on 13th May instead but I can't reschedule SL as on the other date that cast are performing I have no trains due to engineering. (I'm also worrying because with there being strikes on similar dates in April & May if it's the same in June then that'll be just when Sarasota Ballet is visiting the ROH & if I can't get to their performances that I have booked I will be extremely upset.)

I've done the same and rebooked for 13th and cancelled 7th May. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I've done the same and rebooked for 13th and cancelled 7th May. 

I was waiting for Friday rush, as 7th didn't have availability in the area I was after when public booking opened, so I'll just be doing rush for a different date. At least that saves me the ticket return fee.

• Like 1

Another day, another train problem. At about twenty to four this afternoon I checked if the train I was planning to get at 16.55 was running on time. It wasn't, and as I refreshed the minutes delayed kept on ticking up. So I scrambled to leave in time to get the one half an hour earlier, and it's fortunate I did as in the time it took me to get ready the 16.55 went from delayed to cancelled. So now I'm going to be in London far too early but at least that's better than being too late.

I didn't say at the time but on Saturday my train home after Swan Lake managed to be as inconvenient as it could by getting into Cambridge 14 minutes late, so 1 minute before delay repay kicks in. Sometimes it feel like they're doing it on purpose! No explanation for the delay either, it left Kings Cross on time & wasn't stationery for any prolonged periods en route.

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo

It's typical: my GWR claim which I was appealing against because they claimed it was 29 minutes and I claimed it was 31 and therefore double what they were paying - IS apparently 29 minutes because the train I was on got into Paddington a few minutes earlier than scheduled.  Never mind the having to wait for an extra half-hour-plus at the departure station, it's the arrival time which counts, and that was only 29 minutes late :(  

• Like 1

@alison It's amazing how good they are at just coming in under the delay repay thresholds. I didn't bother claiming for the delay I had at the beginning of the month because the train I had to switch onto ended up getting in to Liverpool Street just under half an hour late (never mind that I had to bail at Tottenham Hale & pay for the tube to make sure I got to the ROH in time) so I would only have got one quarter of half of £15 (Bank Holiday Monday so cheaper fares) which wouldn't even cover my extra tube fare.

And it took GWR two months to refund my £111 taxi fare due to the Pangbourne incident. Good to know my claim wasnt fast tracked just because I’m GWR staff 😆 

On 22/04/2024 at 16:44, Jan McNulty said:

I am going to Leeds by train tomorrow - even got a reminder from TP Express this morning.

Imagine when I got in before to find an email from TP Express talking about ongoing engineering works and possible impact on my journey - this less than 24 hours beforehand.

I used the WhatsApp query facility and have been assured that my journey is not affected.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Just catching up - do hope your journey was problem free.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Just catching up - do hope your journey was problem free.

It was perfect going, set off on time coming home but due to an issue near Huddersfield we were 20 minutes late getting in.

It was well worth the hassle though!

• Like 2