Bayrisches Staatsballet - Onegin 2024

I was very lucky to have just seen 3 lovely performances of Cranko's Onegin in Munich.  I really love this ballet and it never disappoints.

My 1st and 3rd shows had the first cast:-

Onegin - Osiel Gouneo

Tatiana - Laurretta Summerscales

Lensky - Antonio Casalinho

Olga - Margarita Fernandes

Gremin - Matteo Dilaghi

I was thrilled to be able to see Laurretta Summerscales twice as Tatiana - a role that suits her very well indeed. Gouneo made a fine job of Onegin and partnered very well whether Summerscales or in Act 2 Fernandes.  The Lensky/Olga pairing of Casalinho /Fernandes is pretty near perfect as they dance so well together - anyone going to Ballet Icons will have a chance to see them dance.  I have to say that their show on Monday was even better than the premier on the Friday before, I think everyone had settled into the roles and it showed. Both performances were lovely but Monday's was really good! I'm no expert on ballet/ballet moves so I can't wax lyrical about this move or that, apologies, I just know what I saw was really good.  Of course the corps de ballet were phenomenal in the flying leaps in Act 1 lead by Lensky/Olga that is one of my favourite scenes in all the ballets I have ever seen and rightly drew huge applause from the audience.  Gremin danced by Dilaghi was very princely as you would expect, and it was a touching scene in Act 3 where Tatiana doesn't want him to leave.  Here's a few pics from Monday's show.

Laurretta & Osiel

image.png.72ef8b335255ebfde7b03cddca87ffa8.pngimage.png.106b96c7cc41deaa6be92f6973beac38.png

Margarita & Antonio (Dilaghi back left of first pic)

image.png.83dd07c423d18622ca87738c743ed513.pngimage.png.e9bcbaa9f9174ebcabd77d00d2945ed7.png

For my second show the cast was as follows:-

Onegin - Jakob Feyferlik

Tatiana - Madison Young

Lensky - Julian MacKay

Olga - Elvina Ibraimova

Gremin - Alexey Dobikov

Again another lovely performance and I was very pleased to see Feyferlik again having always liked seeing him dance when he was with Dutch National Ballet.  I liked his interpretation of Onegin and he executed the very tricky wrist pull/lift in Act 3 extremely well IMHO.  Madison Young gave a nice performance as Tatiana.   This time the cast had a principal as Lensky, Julian MacKay and he danced it well with his partner Elvina Ibraimova.

Madison young and Jakob Feyferlik

image.png.60b77842773fd20492770ec71804f280.png

Edited by Don Q Fan
typo
  • Like 13

As my previous post reached its limit for pics here are a couple more that I wanted to share of the 2nd show that I saw of Onegin.

The costumes for Onegin are beautiful especially all the ladies' ball gowns in Act 2 and Act 3.  The music was lovely and overall I enjoyed all 3 shows!  I would highly recommend a visit to Munich if you are able - the National Theatre is beautiful and your ticket even includes local public transport to and from the show!!!

Dobikov/Young/Feyferlik

image.png.47f18789be6b0f5665b80da9a3b85de7.png

Ibraimova/MacKay

image.png.cb14e0d965866a03c321fd1b8154dc36.png

Ensemble

image.png.8823d31c89d95aa3e693800bb2baadf0.png

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

your ticket even includes local public transport to and from the show

This has nothing to do with Onegin, but it is the case in many German towns: you can use public transport with your theatre ticket before and after the performance. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Angela said:

This has nothing to do with Onegin, but it is the case in many German towns: you can use public transport with your theatre ticket before and after the performance. 

Yes not just related to Onegin, but a general theme. I thought it was an excellent idea and helps audiences attend. It is  something Royal Opera House could do given their high ticket prices!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Angela said:

That certainly is a brilliant idea. I had no idea this was a thing.

Need to get to Munich at some point soon!

• Like 1

It’s a wonderful idea but one that, sadly, I can’t see ever taking off in London. The ROH and other theatres won’t run with it unless the cost is met by someone else and neither TfL nor the mayor is likely to forgo a single penny in potential income. 

• Like 1

I love Onegin too and hope it’s on the cards for 2024-5 for the Royal. 

Id love to go to Munich too as it’s years since I’ve been there and it’s a lovely city ( I used to go to Germany a lot as I studied the language) but haven’t been to the theatre there yet and the Company today has so many really good dancers! 
Thanks for reviews and piccies Don Q 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Guest oncnp
26 minutes ago, Fiz said:

When was the last time Onegin was danced in the U.K and by the Royal Ballet, please? It seems as if it has been ages. 

Edited by oncnp

I'm happy that you enjoyed the shows in Munich! My guess was that Lauretta Summerscales is a great Tatjana. I hope to in April.

The costumes are made by the one and only Jürgen Rose, whatever he touched turns "gold". See in Berlin the "Sleeping Beauty" costumes and setting. A legend, 86 years now and I hope he has/had a lot of apprentices over the years🙏🙏🙏

• Like 2

Thanks oncnp! I missed the 2020 run then because I was still on crutches in early 2020 after a bad ankle injury in 2019 

I missed the whole of the Autumn 2019 season and then 2020 ran into Covid so tickets purchased for April 2020 performances were gifted to ROH!! 

5 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

See in Berlin the "Sleeping Beauty" costumes and setting.

They are by Jordi Roig, not Jürgen Rose - only Stuttgart has the original, no other company used his sets and costumes for the Haydée production, because they are just too expensive, I guess. He had three different backcloths handpainted for the three parts, first blue sky, than the rose hedges, than the autumn forest. It would cost a fortune to paint them now. And he used material from Indian sarees for many costumes, for King and Queen, for the princes, the fairy tale figures. It's just lavish over and over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Yes not just related to Onegin, but a general theme. I thought it was an excellent idea and helps audiences attend. It is  something Royal Opera House could do given their high ticket prices!! 

I think we should have this system here as well! 1) To encourage patrons to use more ecofriendly methods of transport, 2) to reduce congestion from cars and taxis around theatres and encourage people who can walk to be more healthy, 3) encourage those who live far away from theatres to try going. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

When was the last time Onegin was danced in the U.K and by the Royal Ballet, please? It seems as if it has been ages. 

Jan and Feb 2020 (including Reece Clarke's debut as Onegin opposite Natalia Osipova in January, Thiago Soares' farewell in February after dancing Onegin to Itziar Mendizabal's Tatiana)....you're right, it's definitely been ages. 😀 Would be great to see it again.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I think we should have this system here as well! 1) To encourage patrons to use more ecofriendly methods of transport, 2) to reduce congestion from cars and taxis around theatres and encourage people who can walk to be more healthy, 3) encourage those who live far away from theatres to try going. 

I agree it's a nice idea - and I've taken advantage of it in Germany - but I it would cost a lot of money and change very few people's minds about how to get to performances in London.  IME people who drive or are driven in central London - where there are strong disincentives to driving - do so because it is a necessity or their strong preference, and a tube ticket worth a few quid will make little difference; for the rest of the audience it would be a nice-to-have but not a decider. It might make more sense in other cities, as it does in Germany.

There are many things public money can be spent on so there must be priorities.

As for people who live "far away" - the German schemes I've seen only apply to the metropolitan area.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
31 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Can somebody tell me how to access the reviews here for Onegin in 2020 

Ive tried putting Onegin in search but nothing is coming up 

Click on the thread I referenced above and it will/should take you there

Ah thanks yes took me straight there and….what do I know!! I didn’t miss Onegin last time around at all!! 
I went on Feb 12th 2020 to the Nunez Bolle performance. It was the last thing I attended before lockdown so must also  have been free of the crutches by then!!
That whole time from September 2019 to July 2021 is all a bit hazy in my memory!! 

• Like 1

Speaking of German public Transport...

Quote from Magazine "Tanz":

"If anyone is trying to see some ballet and dance in Germany next weekend: Maybe you should overthink your plans. German public transport is on strike from wednesday to sunday, so there won't be any trains between the alps and the coastline - as long as the company Deutsche Bahn and the union GDL don't manage to get along. .."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very envious of you too, Don Q fan, for having seen these performances. I never tire of watching Onegin and, as I mentioned elsewhere some time ago, the company is coming to Madrid at the end of May but, sadly, not bringing Onegin but Patrice Bart's La Bayadére. Strangely enough, the very first time I saw Onegin WAS with the Bayerisches Staatsballett in Madrid, in the open air many years ago, and I immediately fell in love with Cranko's magnificent choreography and the whole production.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tattin said:

I'm very envious of you too, Don Q fan, for having seen these performances. I never tire of watching Onegin and, as I mentioned elsewhere some time ago, the company is coming to Madrid at the end of May but, sadly, not bringing Onegin but Patrice Bart's La Bayadére. Strangely enough, the very first time I saw Onegin WAS with the Bayerisches Staatsballett in Madrid, in the open air many years ago, and I immediately fell in love with Cranko's magnificent choreography and the whole production.

At least you are getting to see Bayadere.  It's more than we are getting in the UK.

• Like 3

On 22/01/2024 at 12:39, LinMM said:

Id love to go to Munich too as it’s years since I’ve been there and it’s a lovely city ( I used to go to Germany a lot as I studied the language) but haven’t been to the theatre there yet and the Company today has so many really good dancers! 
Thanks for reviews and piccies Don Q 

... and it's only two hours by train from Munich to Stuttgart. So, if you're feeling very spontaneous 😉 you might even be able to add Stuttgart Ballet's very promising new triple program Shades of Blue and White (Makarova/Forsythe/Uwe Scholz's Beethoven's 3rd Symphony). 

I completely agree, the Bayerische Staatsballet has some marvellous dancers, I'll try to see their Onegin.

• Like 3

Yes Stuttgart would be great to visit too and it has special memories for me as that’s where I did my student exchange to!! Though didn’t go to the ballet while I was there. 
It was in 1968 so lots of things were up in the air and on strike whilst I was there! 

• Like 2

Yes Royal Ballet did Onegin just before 2020 first lockdown. I saw Thiago Soares and Itizar Mendizabal and then Yasmine Naghdi with Bonnelli I think it was. The Royal has so many "new" principal dancers they really do need to do Onegin next season to exhibit their talents. KOH will be mad not stage Onegin in 24/25. It was sadly never screened to cinema because of the weird rights over filming this ballet ...very annoying and to my mind pointless. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
Typo
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

It was in 1968

Oh my, you could have seen the young, blossoming Marcia Haydée, the first version of Onegin right after the premiere, with Tatyana's children still there. Or a just three year old "Song of the Earth" by MacMillan in blue costumes that were different from the light brown and yellow ones now used in Stuttgart and from the (sorry: ugly) black ones now used at the RB. Imagine!...

• Like 2

Yes I understand I missed a chance back then but  I didn’t really do a lot of Ballet watching until I moved to London in 1972. 
As it happened I went to see Sadlers Wells Touring Company in Oxford 68-69 which started me taking up ballet again (and decorating my college room with dancers I’d seen ( David Wall and Alfreda Thorogood stood out a lot for me!) as stopped when 15 first time. 

But then had a big gap till 72 though saw the embryonic now Northern Ballet up in Liverpool around 1970-71

I did see Marcia Haydee eventually in London in Taming of the Shrew. She had become one of those must see dancers by early 70’s and she didn’t disappoint! Such a stage presence! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

It was sadly never screened to cinema because of the weird rights over filming this ballet ...very annoying and to my mind pointless. 

But they did broadcast it free to big screens - I think someone came over from Stuttgart to see how it was done.