RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

15 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I don't mind fast or slow as long as the interpretation as well considered and works. I don't like fast tempos that the dancer(s) struggle/s to keep up with (eg in the RB Giselle Act 2) or slow tempos that a star is using to show off poses (referring to a company east of the UK) rather than for meaningful interpretation. 

Broadly speaking I would agree with you.  Interesting you mention Giselle.  I can't say I have noticed dancers struggling in that. 

I am not particularly bothered what speed the SPF is danced at, as I have never seen choreography that I like for that particular solo.  However, I hate it when music that is already reasonably slow is slowed even further.  I did notice the grand pdd was being played at a different pace at the performances I went to, and that is not exactly a fast piece to start with.  

• Like 1

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Broadly speaking I would agree with you.  Interesting you mention Giselle.  I can't say I have noticed dancers struggling in that. 

I am not particularly bothered what speed the SPF is danced at, as I have never seen choreography that I like for that particular solo.  However, I hate it when music that is already reasonably slow is slowed even further.  I did notice the grand pdd was being played at a different pace at the performances I went to, and that is not exactly a fast piece to start with.  

Myrtha's fast solo in Act 2 - Peter Wright did put a lot of steps with fast footwork in it that most productions don't have or don't squeeze so much of into one passage. There was a time from 1993 (yes, we're going way back!) to 2023 that whichever cast I booked (I only saw 1-3 casts per run so I didn't see every Myrtha) struggled to keep up - and you could see them  looking visibly flustered- so much so that it was a bit disheartening to see the imperious queen of the Wilis repeatedly turning into a flustered wreck during that passage.

I won't name names who didn't succeed of course (one was a big star), but I can point out the very few Myrthas I saw from this period who successfully triumphed in the choreography: Fiona Chadwick (before 2000), Tierney Heap and Marianela Nunez (who wisely got the tempo slowed down). There are of course a good number of Myrthas whom I haven't seen yet. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Myrtha's fast solo in Act 2 - Peter Wright did put a lot of steps with fast footwork in it that most productions don't have or don't squeeze so much of into one passage.

I thought I'd seen complaints elsewhere that he'd cut much of the more difficult stuff out? (may not have been phrased that way, exactly, but ...)

2 hours ago, alison said:

I thought I'd seen complaints elsewhere that he'd cut much of the more difficult stuff out? (may not have been phrased that way, exactly, but ...)

I'm a bit of a Giselle geek (though I don't claim to know much) and would love to find out which bits were cut and what was put in, @alison, if you remember which thread or which year the discussion was. I'd say RB's Peasant pas de six is one of the hardest versions of the Peasant pas de deux ever as the variations are done by 2 soloists in sync (so difficult) in many sections. It's hard enough doing the tricky parts on your own, let alone synchronised with another dancer! Hats off to the various dancers over the years who have nailed it! (Those that didn't- I feel your pain!) You'll probably remember Peter Wright's version for SWRB/BRB that preceded the current Bintley/Samsova production- that was very sweet and more like the traditional ones (only 2 dancers in the Peasant pdd). Wonder where the lovely sets and costumes ended up. 

Anyhow, apologies for getting everyone sidetracked. Did anyone else get snow in their area today? (Reminded me of The Nutcracker Snowflakes scene!) Just one more week of RB Nutcracker magic left and then it's Manon time....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Did anyone else get snow in their area today? (Reminded me of The Nutcracker Snowflakes scene!) Just one more week of RB Nutcracker magic left and then it's Manon time....

Enjoyed the small smattering of snow yesterday - my rabbit enjoyed playing in it anyway! (Doing his own snowflake jumps)

I’m looking forward to Nutcracker today and Manon next week!

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the performance last night. I booked for Marianna Tsembenhoi as Clara and I'm very glad I did, I thought she was just brilliant. She has a lovely amount of energy, innocence and radiance on stage, and seems particularly suited to this role, her acting is very natural. I hope to see her in similar roles in future, potentially Juliet - or Alice if they ever bring that production back (fingers crossed they do at some point soon). I do think the whole performance benefits a lot from casting age appropriate dancers in these childlike/adolescent roles - not that age should matter for roles like Clara or Juliet. However I'm very glad to see those at the Artist/First Artist level getting the opportunity to do these meatier roles, as they should be.

I also really liked her partnership with Joshua Junker - I hope they're cast together again, they have a good connection. Aiden O'Brien was certainly a superb Drosselmeyer, as I knew from watching the Insight. Gorgeous Rose Fairy from Annette Buvoli. Mayara Magri and Reece Clarke were also lovely together. Reece added some dynamics to his solo, and Mayara's fouettés in the finale were very well executed. She had a slight stumble before the actual bulk of the Act 2 dancing started, just in the brief introductory bit to the Land of Sweets. She was absolutely on pointe (pun intended) for the main PDD and the Sugarplum solo.

The one thing that doesn't really interest me is the Arabian dance - I agree with those who say it was better before. It's a shame because I love the music, I'm just not a fan of the RB version of it. I also think the costumes for the Arabian leave a lot to be desired compared to other productions. But on the whole, a lovely production - I was glad to catch it this time, especially if it isn't coming back next season.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I really enjoyed the performance last night. I booked for Marianna Tsembenhoi as Clara and I'm very glad I did, I thought she was just brilliant. She has a lovely amount of energy, innocence and radiance on stage, and seems particularly suited to this role, her acting is very natural.

I booked for her - once.  Ended up getting her three times :D  Not that I'm complaining at all, as she's a lovely Clara, but given the limited number of Nutcrackers I'd booked I'm sorry to have missed so many of the other Claras.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
14 hours ago, Sim said:

Lovely photos @Silke H and @Rob S   So many beautiful flowers!  Thank you both.  

Apologies for an odd question re: flowers - was the yellow bouquet (Muntagirov)  that looks like it ended up on the stage a nice one? I've not used this florist before and any opinions would be welcome. 

27 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Apologies for an odd question re: flowers - was the yellow bouquet (Muntagirov)  that looks like it ended up on the stage a nice one? I've not used this florist before and any opinions would be welcome. 

Hard to tell from photos but it looks like it has a spray of mimosa in it - always impressive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Vadim’s collection of photos on his latest IG post includes a yellow bunch with mimosa which looks lovely.

Ordering flowers  is such a lottery…….

• Like 2

On the handful of occasions when I've given flowers I've bought them in person but I still find it a bit of a lottery because even though I can see what my bouquet looks like I worry that it might look pathetic & cheap besides other bouquets presented at the same performance as I can't afford the huge bouquets that one sometimes sees dancers given. I was relieved that when I gave a dancer flowers during this Nutcracker run my bouquet was about the same size as the other bouquet the dancer received.

• Like 2

Apologies for the double post but while looking up something else on the ROH website I've just spotted that Hirano is being replaced by Braendsrod tonight. So the latter is now onto his 3rd SPF of the run! Since the Manon casting update yesterday show Hirano replaced for his first Lescaut on 19th he's presumably either injured or has an illness that's more than just a cold or covid. I wonder whether Braendsrod is getting these extra performances because as a Soloist he's more likely to be in the building, perhaps expecting to dance another role, than many of the Principal men.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, as long as it's not a serious injury now he's finally getting a go at Des Grieux ...

He's still down for his other Lescauts & Des Grieux so hopefully not...

Now tonight's cast sheet is up I see that Gartside is doing Dr Stahlbaum. I think his first appearance on stage this season? It does make it look slightly odd to have "Gary Avis replaces Bennet Gartside" & then Gartside appearing a few lines lower!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

Incidentally, I was looking back at my 2017 cast sheets for this: a certain Caspar Lench was playing Fritz.  Of course, he's now just joined the company.  Doesn't time fly?!

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

He's still down for his other Lescauts & Des Grieux so hopefully not...

Now tonight's cast sheet is up I see that Gartside is doing Dr Stahlbaum. I think his first appearance on stage this season? It does make it look slightly odd to have "Gary Avis replaces Bennet Gartside" & then Gartside appearing a few lines lower!

That kind of thing does happen though, I think it was Charlotte Tonkinson that was announced,  over the tannoy, as being replaced as a Mirliton by whoever (not actual words) and then she turned up as a flower (not a leading one). I assume they have custom fitted flutes and she had left hers at home 🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alison said:

Incidentally, I was looking back at my 2017 cast sheets for this: a certain Caspar Lench was playing Fritz.  Of course, he's now just joined the company.  Doesn't time fly?!

Yes! I recently watched it on Stream and realised it was him! Which made me very happy, what an amazing progress!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Apologies for the double post but while looking up something else on the ROH website I've just spotted that Hirano is being replaced by Braendsrod tonight. So the latter is now onto his 3rd SPF of the run! Since the Manon casting update yesterday show Hirano replaced for his first Lescaut on 19th he's presumably either injured or has an illness that's more than just a cold or covid. I wonder whether Braendsrod is getting these extra performances because as a Soloist he's more likely to be in the building, perhaps expecting to dance another role, than many of the Principal men.

Well spotted Dawnstar- wow, Lukas offering us a "buy one get two free" offer this season! A super trouper indeed! Did anyone go last night to see it? Curious about how the impromptu new partnership of Sarah+Lukas turned out. 

Nice that Bennet Gartside is back as Clara's Dad Dr Stahlbaum - I presume that role is easier on the shoulders than Drosselmeyer so it's  a good one to ease back into. 

Delightful evening at ROH on Wednesday. 

Nutcracker world now fully restored post Covid. 24 snowflakes, live children singing, RBS children as toy soldiers and mice. The tree grew and didn't get stuck. And the sleigh/milk float glided across the stage without an impeding step (caused by the tree failing to grow).

Madison  Bailey  is a really characterful Clara. What's the percentage chance of a Clara becoming a principal?

Rest of the cast also charming. Leo Dixon stood out as Harlequin and a Chinese dancer.

As the house lights went down who should slide into the empty seat next to me but Kevin O' Hare.

He didn't engage me in conversation ( preoccupied with a young man and older woman across the aisle . A new recruit and his agent?) but if he had, these would be my questions:

are the angels on pointe under their robes?

what was Gary Avis saying to the toy bunny drummer? He was having a quite animated conversation during the party dances.

I don't understand the ending. Drosselmeyer  lays Clara on the drawing room floor before disappearing into the clock. But then Clara appears outside the house in the street still in her nightie where she meets the Nephew. How come?

I can take my tree down now 

One de- merit. My favourite bumbling old retainer with the candelabra didn't feature. I hope he hasn't retired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Finnbarr said:

Madison  Bailey  is a really characterful Clara. What's the percentage chance of a Clara becoming a principal?

Based on 2 of the 10 current Principals having danced Clara then at the moment 20%!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnbarr said:

I don't understand the ending. Drosselmeyer  lays Clara on the drawing room floor before disappearing into the clock. But then Clara appears outside the house in the street still in her nightie where she meets the Nephew. How come?

I have always assumed that because she is asleep on the floor, she is probably cold and uncomfortable and therefore wakes up.  Add this to the amazing dream she has just had, and she probably dashes outside her front door to make sure that everything is as it should be:  her house is her house, etc.  Whilst there, the magic happens and she encounters the nephew.  Just my interpretation, anyway.  

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Finnbarr said:

I think Francesca Hayward was the first since Alina Cojocaru (this century anyway). Since then they have come more frequently it seems. Used to be that the Rose Fairy's went on to dance SPF (and become Principals) rather than Claras

I very much doubt the angels on point; they are supposed to do tiny steps to move around, without disturbing their 'robes' to look like they are floating

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Finnbarr said:

No, the angels are not on pointe.  They do tiny steps to give the illusion of gliding across the floor.  These steps are part of Georgian and Russian folk dancing, and no-one can do it quite like they can:

• Like 14

It’s incredible, I wondered if they were on some kind of wheel contraption, but I did briefly get a glimpse of some feet under a dress when I saw it a few weeks ago and saw they were in fact moving along on flat feet.

• Like 1