Hammond

charlie4dancin

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still dont understand?Does that mean the student with the lower income or the student with the higher income would get the MDS If 2 students had the same standard of tallent.If they want to know your income before offering a MDS then it must be one or the other!I thought the hole point of a MDS was tallent but it gets very strange when there is more tallent than MDS awards!I personally think the person with the higher income would get the MDS than a person with a very low income because it would cost the government less in the long run to fund a higher income family.I hope i am wrong!and they should give MDS awards out before looking at family incomes!

They are primarily awarded on talent, that is the first criteria. However if a school needed to allocate one remaining award between two students, then the student on the lowest income would recieve the award. That is the official guidelines issued to institutions anyway.

Toomuchtallent- although income may be taken as a secondary consideration when allocating dada awards, the amount of the award is not income assessed- all students receive the same. There is still a significant contribution to be made by parents, approx 9000 a year for boarded students. Lil

They are primarily awarded on talent, that is the first criteria. However if a school needed to allocate one remaining award between two students, then the student on the lowest income would recieve the award. That is the official guidelines issued to institutions anyway.

I remember reading a report for each school on the MADE website that showed a chart illustrating the distribution of awards across the means-tested range and it seemed to suggest that they like to give relatively even proportions to low, middle and high income families. Not sure if it's still on there though.

• Like 1

In reality, I don't think the allocation of MDS awards will depend on income, even though it may be that that is an option on paper. The artistic staff at the schools tend to know who they want and will do what they can to secure their chosen students. I have heard, though, that at Hammond they have a list of who they want according to the MDS and bursaries they have available and then they work out who will be better off with which award.

I do know someone who was surprised to be offered an MDS award at one of the schools as she had ticked the box to say that they could afford the fees!!!!!

She's in Year 8. No, she's not auditioning this year. In two minds whether to send her for Yr 10 auditions or not because she's really academic too and at a very good school. At the moment she wants to audition for post 16 training but so much can change in the ballet world we tend to take it a term at a time! :-)

Sorry, missed this before!! it is so hard, isn't it? If it helps, we didn't do the audition round for yr 10 and are now regretting it a little. My current thoughts are that at the least it gives you an idea of potential for a 6th form place!

I remember reading a report for each school on the MADE website that showed a chart illustrating the distribution of awards across the means-tested range and it seemed to suggest that they like to give relatively even proportions to low, middle and high income families. Not sure if it's still on there though.

Hi Interested Parent. That would be because, like I said, the vast majority of awards are given on talent alone. On that basis one would expect to see an even balance across the various income brackets.

Obviously it also doesn't mean that when the secondary criteria of 'need' is used, that the students being split because of equal talent fall into the lower end of income brackets. Given that, there wouldn't particularly be any influences on the chart created solely by the use of the 'need' criteria.

In an audition the most outstanding students will be given the awards regardless of income. The difficulty comes when there are another, let's say five students, that the school are interested in but there are only two awards left. Obviously those five students could come from any income bracket including maybe all coming from the top bracket. Again this demonstrates that the chart would not be influenced by the use of the 'need' screening.

Oh my! Does all that make sense? ;)

• Like 1

Sorry, missed this before!! it is so hard, isn't it? If it helps, we didn't do the audition round for yr 10 and are now regretting it a little. My current thoughts are that at the least it gives you an idea of potential for a 6th form place!

I'm not sure whether it would give you a real idea Jellybeans - there must be far fewer places available for year 10 than for sixth form, if for no other reason than there are more schools for Upper School training. Then add in the fact that Year 10 places at the "big four" depend on how many students make it through Year 9 Assessments. If (hopefully) most students pass their Assessments you're only talking a few Year 10 places being available.

We may not send our dd to audition for Year 10 places as she's so happy at her current school. If she auditioned and was fortunate enough to get a place then I'm not sure I would be happy for her to start somewhere new at the start of GCSEs, and if she got a "no" on the basis that there are not many places, I wouldn't want it to knock her confidence for sixth form auditions.

I'm not sure whether it would give you a real idea Jellybeans - there must be far fewer places available for year 10 than for sixth form, if for no other reason than there are more schools for Upper School training. Then add in the fact that Year 10 places at the "big four" depend on how many students make it through Year 9 Assessments. If (hopefully) most students pass their Assessments you're only talking a few Year 10 places being available.

Fair point, Spannerandpony, but year 10 places re not necesarily dependent on people being assessed out. three people have been offered places for yr 10 at RBS and no yr 9s were assessed out. Also, Elmhurst told potential auditionees that there were no places available for yr 10 before the actual audition date and quite a lot were invited to the final and some were offered places! I think if they like people enough they will at least want to keep an eye on them even if there are genuinely no places.

I do understand not wanting to change things if your dd is happy though!!

• Like 1

Not much look in our house today re: phone call looks like I'm buying a jumper for the local comp but you never know luck might change ever the optimist !!

good luck to everyone else with phone calls hope you get a better result

• Like 1

No glimmer from Hammond at our end in fact quite the opposite :(

dd had pretty awful secondary transition morning at school, followed by a not so good night ending with her going to bed feeling really sad!! :(

Cx

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I'm sure everyone here joins me in sending virtual hugs to you both. xx

• Like 8

Aw how terrible c4d, I never realised how stressful and upsetting the whole audition process is, I'm so pleased my other child is a boy and not at all interested in dancing because I wouldn't want to put myself or my child through the process again! Give her a virtual hug from us too xxx

C4d, reading your post has made me feel sad and really hope things get better for you and dd.

Ballet bun, sorry forgot to post the I have replied to the pm, but you may have found it already!

X

C4D, I remember my dd having a really horrible day during her first week at secondary school. It was awful to see her so upset, particularly given that had we had more money, she could have been at Tring studying Musical Theatre.

BUT it didn't take long before she had made a lovely group of friends, all either into Music or Dance (whereas at Primary School she was the odd one out in that respect) she got several choir solos, and settled in well and truly.

This sadness and disappointment WILL pass - for both of you. xxx

• Like 12