Hammond

charlie4dancin

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou so much for this post Wilderflower ! My older DD is on a bursary ...I will look into this.

Here's hoping things work out for you!

No worries, that's what this forum is all about!! sharing the information that we all have! if it's going to help another dd/ds fulfill their dreams then even better;-) xxx

• Like 2

It's sad for all those who got a no and a harsh reminder of the cruelty of a life in the arts but if there are lots of other avenues and sometimes it's better to go later, at least this solves the issue of an unhappy dad C4D ... Though I suspect he feels horrid now seeing how upset your daughter is :( I'm sure it will sort out in the long run, will she carry on the associate classes and try for year 8 next year?

Hi twinkletoes

Yes I think dh is feeling rather lousy now :( not sure where she will go from here that is completely her choice I can only support and guide her in the best way possible, even if that means another direction it has to be what she really wants to do!

We already had decided that she wouldn't be auditioning for 8,9 & 10 as it has been very costly and as a mum I can't allow her to go through that process every year it's not fair :(

Thanks for the kind words

Cx

I am sorry to hear your news C4D and to the other DD's and DS's who may receive no's/maybes in the near future. Congratulations to those who have received exciting news in gaining places at their chosen schools. I am becoming increasingly aware that reading these posts over such a short period of time on this forum has given me a whole new insight into both pos and negs involved in what appears to be an ongoing process.

I am very thankful to the parents who share their experiences on these forums and even though hard at times I appreciate you sharing your experiences as this is definitely giving myself alot to think about in terms of the whole application/auditioning processes along the way.

Ax

• Like 1

C4d I really feel for you, Im sure your daughter will come round, she should focus on the face she got in and it's just the money so really her confidence should home in on that, she must be good to have got in but I can see how it's easy to get bogged down on the factshe feels a failure. See how she feels after the EYB at least she has that to focus on and im sure once she is one that stage she will be all for dancing again :)

Hope it all works out for your children... I'm new to ballet my dd is 8 in grade 3 and just having her first audition next month . To be honest i was in 2 minds to let her audition as I wanted to just keep her dancing simple but seem to be getting swept along with it all!! And an worried that it will get to much for me and dd. how do you all cope with it? And is it worth it? Fingers crossed for you all xx

• Like 1

Lots of thoughts regarding C4D's early morning post....

the hardest part for me is trying to answer her contant doubts about whether she is physically right for ballet...

Tough one this one....she can't be too far off otherwise they wouldn't have offered her a place. Even those who are right at eleven may not be by the time they're 16, so she has to take this one on trust if she decides she wants to continue. You could seek an honest opinion from teachers, but bodies change so much in the teenage years its almost not worth worrying about

As a mum I feel very guilty having allowed her to go through the whole process in the first place

Imagine the guilt you would have felt when she got to be an adult and asked why you never let her try....

Obviously she feels like her dream has come to an end and will now be saying goodbye to her very dear friends who will be going off to dance school making it whole lot harder for her

this is the harshest cut of all, and makes it quite difficult sometimes to have close friendships with fellow dancers.

I DO believe things happen for a reason and I remain a strong believer in

I couldn't agree more. I often think when things don't go how you want its so that you can be in the right place for what's right for you. Fingers crossed that something wonderful is round the corner.

If your dd wants to dance, this won't stop her. Infact it will probably make her more determined. And if she decides its not for her, nothing lost, she's had fun while it lasted.

If she keeps going - be prepared for lots more sleepless nights....it doesn't get any easier (lol)!

• Like 6

Hope it all works out for your children... I'm new to ballet my dd is 8 in grade 3 and just having her first audition next month . To be honest i was in 2 minds to let her audition as I wanted to just keep her dancing simple but seem to be getting swept along with it all!! And an worried that it will get to much for me and dd. how do you all cope with it? And is it worth it? Fingers crossed for you all xx

You step on and enjoy the ride....and drink lots of wine.

• Like 2

You step on and enjoy the ride....and drink lots of wine.

And fasten your seatbelt - it's a bumpy ride! We are still relatively new to all of this so my best advice to you is to go for it but with your eyes wide open. Speak to anyone and everyone that you can who has been there before (this forum is a wonderful place to start with so many helpful supportive people and the archived threads on the old site are worth searching through too) Be prepared for the impact the journey will have upon you, and indeed the whole family as it can take over your life (if it hasn't already!) and remember that you can, at any point, shout 'stop the ride I want to get off!". Having said that, if you make it about the journey and not just the destination, great fun can be had along the way, lifelong friends made, strong characters built.

It's been stressful, it will continue to be stressful - would I change anything? Not in the slightest!

• Like 2

Glowlight you have inspired me and dd more than you will ever know thank you :)

Totally agree with Angela its been one hell of a ride but what we have learnt along the way is priceless and we too wouldn't change it either!!!

another lesson learnt :) however hard it's been!

Cx

• Like 5

I am so glad I found this place as everyone is so helpful and supportive:) I just seem to be going along with what her teacher thinks and yes it is exciting but I'm scared for her too! And I agree even though I have just started out her dancing has took over my life so much it's scary and her dad doesn't take any interest at all so it feels it's all down to me !! but I will help her as much as I can x

• Like 2

C4D and InterestedParent: I am so sorry to hear both of your news.

C4D: I encourage you to keep an open mind! You may find that in the coming years your daughter's teachers may feel that she should try again for some particular reason. It may just be that she was off her game that day or it may be that there is some physical reason why they felt she didn't qualify for MDS. BUT - that's not to say that the physical elements are set in stone! I know that my daughter's muscles definitely seem to have 'lengthened' in the last year and just the same as certain schools assess out during the years as some children become less suited to classical ballet (in their eyes), that should surely mean that some children change so that they become MORE suitable!

Interested parent: Please send your DD hugs from my DD. She remembers her from auditions.

• Like 4

Hairbelles: Welcome to the forum! Especially as we are almost family! My DD is your little DD's 'sister' at school!

Dancingmom, Karen and Amber4: Congratulations! If you have any questions, don't hestitate to ask and similarly, if your daughters don't know anyone already at the school or starting in September and want to start chatting to my DD on Facebook/phone then PM me so that we can link them up.

• Like 2

Congratulations to the people whose dd/ds have got in to Hammond and commiserations to those who were not successful this time but don't give up.

It's happy news for my DD - having decided not to apply last year for anywhere other than WL and then regreting it later she has now been offered a funded place for yr 8 at Hammond which is closer to home for us so I firmly believe it is never too late to try.

Has anyone heard of anybody else who is going to be joining yr 8 in September?

• Like 3

Glowlight you have inspired me and dd more than you will ever know thank you :)

Totally agree with Angela its been one hell of a ride but what we have learnt along the way is priceless and we too wouldn't change it either!!!

another lesson learnt :) however hard it's been!

Cx

C4D and InterestedParent: I am so sorry to hear both of your news.

C4D: I encourage you to keep an open mind! You may find that in the coming years your daughter's teachers may feel that she should try again for some particular reason. It may just be that she was off her game that day or it may be that there is some physical reason why they felt she didn't qualify for MDS. BUT - that's not to say that the physical elements are set in stone! I know that my daughter's muscles definitely seem to have 'lengthened' in the last year and just the same as certain schools assess out during the years as some children become less suited to classical ballet (in their eyes), that should surely mean that some children change so that they become MORE suitable!

Interested parent: Please send your DD hugs from my DD. She remembers her from auditions.

I absolutely agree with this. My dd was once told that she didn't have flexible enough feet for classical ballet. A highly experienced dance physio has pronounced that to be utter nonsense and after three sessions the difference in the way dd's feet and legs look and work is amazing. I never would have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

I know my dd wasn't ready in lots of ways for a place in year 7 but the change in her in a couple of years has been astounding. Of course now in years 8-10 places are rare (which is good because we don't want people to be assessed out :-) but the simple fact is that not every child is, at 10, what the schools are looking for on that particular day. All children develop at different rates so just remember, a "no" is not necessarily a "never".

• Like 1

Just caught up with the thread, so sorry to hear about those little DD's who had a "no", remember its "not now" rather than "never". Some lovely words and support from forum members about their own experiences. Well done to those who have been successful and enjoy your journey! Good to bump into you last week Sniffymum! Well done to your DD.

Nana Lily xxx

• Like 3

I absolutely agree with this. My dd was once told that she didn't have flexible enough feet for classical ballet. A highly experienced dance physio has pronounced that to be utter nonsense and after three sessions the difference in the way dd's feet and legs look and work is amazing. I never would have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

This is really encouraging, Spannerandpony! It is lovely to hear that sometimes it may just be something this simple that is holding a child back!

I'm sure that you have said somewhere but what year is your dd andhas she auditioned for a place again this year?

• Like 1

She's in Year 8. No, she's not auditioning this year. In two minds whether to send her for Yr 10 auditions or not because she's really academic too and at a very good school. At the moment she wants to audition for post 16 training but so much can change in the ballet world we tend to take it a term at a time! :-)

• Like 1

My DS was offered an MDS place at the Hammond are there any more boys on here going to be in year seven xx

Really sorry to hear lots didn't get a place it's been a long stressful process, good luck to everyone on their future paths xx

• Like 2