Hammond

charlie4dancin

Hi Louise

MDS stands ffor Music and Dance Scheme. They are government funded scholarships awarded to children applying to the 4 centres of excellence - RBS, Elmhurst, Tring and Hammond. Contrary to popular belief, children awarded MDS places do not get 'free' places - they are means tested with a parental contribution based on gross income. Other than at RBS, not all children who are offered places are awarded MDS - hence some schools offer bursaries of up to 50% of the fees but others may have more experience to share of that. The amount of MDS places on offer varies from school to school and year to year.

WIlderflower fingers crossed for a bursary - stay positive, the door is still open x

Karen - congrats to your dd - bet she is over the moon!

Good luck to all others still waiting for the postie - hope he/she brings good news xx

• Like 1

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to read your news : ( wildflower. Fingers crossed one may come available.x We are still waiting for the post to arrive, I' ve brought the kids to the cinema, as the waiting for the post is so hard !!!! hopefully the letter will be there when we get home! : \

So sorry to read your news : ( wildflower. Fingers crossed one may come available.x We are still waiting for the post to arrive, I' ve brought the kids to the cinema, as the waiting for the post is so hard !!!! hopefully the letter will be there when we get home! : \

Amber4dancinstar I know how you feel I haven't told my dd the letters are out! I've taken her to rehearsals and when she gets home hopefully the post will have been x. Sorry don't know what I've done to your previous post lol x

Edited by Dancingmom

So sorry wilderflower :( you never know one may come available later fingers crossed for your dd!!!

Xxxxxxx

Thanks C4D but it's a year 10 place she's waiting for and I know they are few and far between!! will see what happens with regards to bursary and go from there!! unfortunately i dont think it's gonna be possible. will keep you all posted;-)

well done to the MDS awards - excellent news for your dancers. congrats xxxxxx

Oh C4D and Interested Parent...am sad to read of your rotten news. That is so disappointing. Just hold on to the fact that your lovely dancers are talented as they wouldn't have gotten to the finals otherwise.....and their time WILL come!!

• Like 1

C4D

So so sorry to hear your news. A big hug to your dd, such a lovely little girl whose dream deserved to come true xx

Interested Parent sorry too that the news was not what you were hoping for. Hope your dd is ok and boy do I admire you for already planning to put yourself through it all again next year! We hear so many wonderful stories on here of how that deternination and resilience pays off. Good luck xx

• Like 1

My heart goes out to all those who have had bad news, and so hard as a parent to be powerless .

Generally our children bounce back quicker than we do, and if it is any consolation - read about Max (CSB to BRB), from a local school to Central at 16, and now a contract with Birmingham Royal Ballet . There are many routes to success.

Keep on keeping on.

Congratulations to those who got a YES

Edited by Seagazer
  • Like 4

I echo my congratulations for the "yes" s, very very well done! :-)

Hugs and commiserations to the "no"s. Remember how very rare MDS places are for years 8 and above -and of course if there are fewer places because fewer people are assessed out then that's good.

As Seagazer says, there are other routes and there's more choice for post sixteen training. xx

• Like 1

Well my hubbie thought it would be fun to hide the letter for a while!!! DD has been given the MDS Award!!! One very happy little DD!!! And family!!!! : ) But also very sad for thoses without awards (c4d). :( Xxx

• Like 7

Congratulations Amber4dancin bet shes delighted !!! Congratulations to others who also have MDS well Done !!

So Sorry for those who didnt get mds especially C4D hopefully she will move on and focus on whats next EYB might help her take her mind off it for a while ..... her time will come as will the others ..... xxx

• Like 2

Dear C4d and Interesred parent

DD and I both very sorry that you did not get the news you wanted today. We have enjoyed following your posts and know how you must feel tonight. Hope a good opportunity comes up for you soon - everything happens for a reason we believe.

Xxx

• Like 4

Hello Everyone

This is my first post so here goes .......

Firstly huge congratulations for all those with MDS awards!!!

I am posting this to offer a ray of hope for all those on the waiting list that, with all the will in the world will not be able to afford a bursary..

This time last year I had the worst Mothers Day ever after receiving no MDS for my youngest DD and a nail biting Easter waiting to see if anyone had declined their offers.

After lots of tears (on my part as well) and driving everyone insane with the whys and whatifs we got on with the usual lessons and DD embarked on her Summer School with the CAT programme at Northern Ballet which we both loved....

Uniforms bought for Northern and local school, all thoughts of Hammond finally put to bed ,we got the call to say an award had become available 6!!!!!!! days before the start of term.

Circumstances can change for any number of reasons don't lose hope just yet!!!!

Thoughts are will you all tonight.... reading your posts has brought back lots of emotions and I feel for you all x

• Like 14

Well done to all of the children who have auditioned this year. Nobody understands how stressful all this can be, except those who have gone through it. I have mentioned on another topic about the 6th form auditions. There are so many children who have not gone to vocational school that were brilliant at the auditions and were also sucessful securing places that vocational children did not. If non vocational children have got really good dance teachers behind them and if they can attend an associate scheme or have access to a private teacher for a one to one session, then they are really, really not missing out. Try and view auditions as practice for 6th form places, have lots and lots of tries and if you are sucessful along the way eg year 8,9,10th then brilliant, and if it was not your time then it was only a practice along the way. I hope I am making sense as I feel that I am rambling. Good luck for next year everyone, it will soon come around again.

• Like 4

Unable to sleep so trying to make sense of the amazing world of dance!!! Hammonds loss is most certainly our gain and we will get to keep our very talent dd for longer than she wished too ;) the hardest part for me is trying to answer her contant doubts about whether she is physically right for ballet... As a mum I feel very guilty having allowed her to go through the whole process in the first place but have comfort in the fact it will make her stronger and prepare her for life whether or not she chooses dance or not. Obviously she feels like her dream has come to an end and will now be saying goodbye to her very dear friends who will be going off to dance school making it whole lot harder for her, one of which she has danced with for about 7/8 years and they have danced/trained/grown-up together!!' she is proud of her friends achievements but it is very bitter sweet for obvious reasons :(

As a parent you feel your children's pain but still I DO believe things happen for a reason and I remain a strong believer in FATE and I know my dd will pick herself up very soon and move on because she is a tough little cookie as are all the other dd and ds who have for whatever reason not achieved their hopes and dreams :)

Please remember life is what we make it and I will continue to support my dd in whatever she may choose to do in her life :)

Cx

Edited by charlie4dancin
  • Like 15

Thanks Hairbelles for your post and welcome to the forum. Lovely to hear that your DD was offered a place at the last minute, how amazing, especially when you say you'd put it behind you and moved on.

Not on my salary it's not :(

Thanks for the kind words :)

Cx

This info is obviously for everyone but in particular those waiting for bursary info, like ourselves, who are weighing up whether or not we can afford to send DD. If you are in receipt of tax credits, I would strongly recommend you read the this, which I obtained from HMRC http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tctmanual/tctm02630.htm. It may be possible for you to get help towards the boarding costs, which is hopefully some more "funding" if you like. Hope this helps someone. We are def going to be looking into this further and I'm not sure it's "common knowledge" tbh - have never seen anyone else share this info!

Residential Boarding Schools

The Working Tax Credit (Entitlement and Maximum Rate) Regulations 2002, Reg. 14 (1), (2) and (5)

A person who is incurring and paying relevant childcare charges for a child in a residential boarding school, may be entitled to claim childcare costs providing that the school meets the conditions and those costs do not include any element for compulsory education.

Example 1:

A school charges £7,000 per year for compulsory education, and £1,500 per year for boarding which is provided as an option. The school provides an itemised invoice to show the £1,500 boarding fees. If the customer has chosen to pay for the additional fees for boarding, the childcare costs would be considered as relevant for tax credit purposes.

Example 2:

A school charges £8,000 per year for compulsory education, and breakfast and after school clubs. The fees are the same whether the child attends these clubs or not. The invoice shows that the fees for the clubs are £2,000 per year. As all parents are charged the same whether or not their child attends the clubs, the costs are not allowable.

• Like 1