As ENB's Our Voices programme opens this week, I thought I would start a thread for people to comment on the performances but also to give some further information on the casting, which Aaron Watkin has agreed I can make public, and I hope it will help those who have yet to buy their tickets to decide which performance/s to see.  As always, there is the caveat that casting is subject to change.

As well as the principal couples, listed on the website, and the corps de ballet, "Theme and Variations” has four demi-soloist couples.  There are three casts for this.  As they do not always dance with the same principal couple, I will list them by performance:

Bueno, Otani, Adams, Suzuki, Snyder, Woolhouse, Jakonis, Saruhashi (21st, 22nd, 23rd eve, 28th eve, 30th eve)

Wood, Kang, Evrard, Nevzorova, Martin, Nakaaki, Souza, Maievskyi (23rd mat, 26th, 28th mat, 30th mat)

Velicu, Lizardi, Keneally, Choi, Maidana, Durand, Yeomans, Fuchiyama (27th, 29th).

I must confess I have never seen a complete performance of this ballet but I was lucky enough to watch Victoria Simon stage it for Royal Swedish Ballet when I was in Stockholm last October and, of course, I attended her very informative masterclass for ENB recently which really whet my appetite. Having seen the stunning tutus being made in the workshop and had glimpses of them in the trailers released by ENB, I think it really will be a glittering opening to the evening!

I have always considered Nijinska's "Le Noces" to be a masterpiece and so it will be interesting to see Andrea Miller's completely different take on the Stravinsky score, linking it to his earlier "Le Sacre du printemps" although not to any particular choreographic version of it.  I had the privilege of seeing a model of the set a few months ago, dominated by an extraordinary staircase designed by the late Dame Phyllida Barlow.  The ballet has a single cast of eight female and nine male dancers.  As well as those listed on the website, this includes Emily Suzuki, Erik Woolhouse and Junor Souza.  

David Dawson's "Four Last Songs" has two casts of six males and six females, with Erina Takahashi, Ivana Bueno and Lorenzo Trossello appearing in both casts.  For anyone who does not know Richard Strauss's song cycle (his last masterpiece, premiered posthumously here in the UK at the Royal Albert Hall in 1950), I would recommend reading a translation of the poems by Eichendorff and Hesse, which can be found at www.lieder.net, to fully appreciate the glorious soundscape Strauss created.

As I always say, mixed bills are excellent value for money because they provide a chance to see almost all of a company's leading dancers in one performance, and this is certainly the case with this triple bill, which will also probably be the biggest musical feast since the days of the company’s Ballets Russes programmes.  Playing works by three titans of classical music will give the English National Ballet Philharmonic a chance to shine, complementing the starry line-up onstage, and I cannot wait to experience this fascinating programme.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I have heard Four Last Songs constantly this summer (by choice):  at the  Proms, on YouTube, 😊 etc ....for me this is a very good thing! Looking forward to hearing it live once again! Very pleased that David Dawson is creating his ballet with ENB this season. 

Thank you for the casting info, Irmgard. I’m very pleased with the Theme and Variations casts on the dates I have booked, and always a pleasure to see the depth and interpretations that Souza, Suzuki and Woolhouse bring to every role I’ve seen them in so I’m glad they will be in Les Noces. And T&V is one of my favourite ballets too! 

ENB Philharmonic playing Strauss, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky - another wonderful treat on top of a very promising programme. Looking forward to this triple bill! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information, Irmgard.  I was trying to book another performance at Sadler's Wells yesterday evening, but unfortunately - and unusually these days - there was a large queue at the box office, so I'll have to do it in the week.

Really looking forward to this Triple Bill.

I think it’s great releasing subsidiary casting information - and, yes, it has made me cross-check with the dates I’ve booked. Another ticket is needed!

The other ‘plus’ from putting more names ‘out there’ is that it enhances the profile of ENB’s super dancers. There are certainly ‘ones to watch’ within the couples line-up for the wonderful Theme and Variations.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Irmgard said:

For anyone who does not know Richard Strauss's song cycle (his last masterpiece, premiered posthumously here in the UK at the Royal Albert Hall in 1950), I would recommend reading a translation of the poems by Eichendorff and Hesse, which can be found at www.lieder.net, to fully appreciate the glorious soundscape Strauss created.

I am very open minded about what I go and see.

I have to be honest and say that, having listened to Four Last Songs a couple of times over the weekend ahead of the Our Voices programme, it will be an uphill struggle for me sit through a performance let alone the several I have booked. 

So, I’m sincerely hoping that the choreography on the night will override the objections my brain has to the music. Fortunately, a great thing about Triple Bills can be their mixed bag nature and hopefully there will be something for everyone. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1

Have you tried Les Noces, Peter? :( 

BTW, I came in a few days ago to find Gavin Sutherland on BBC Radio 3's In Tune talking about the music for the programme.  He made some comment about four pianos which I didn't quite pick up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alison said:

BTW, I came in a few days ago to find Gavin Sutherland on BBC Radio 3's In Tune talking about the music for the programme.  He made some comment about four pianos which I didn't quite pick up.

Gavin probably mentioned that ENB is not using the original version of "Les Noces" for four pianos but a later version for full orchestra.  I imagine the intervals before and after "Les Noces" would have to be greatly extended if the four-piano version was used, as the pit would have to be completely cleared to get them in and out and then completely reset for the vast forces needed for "Four Last Songs"! And each piano would have to be retuned after moving them into the pit.  All a logistical nightmare! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would love to see this program. Theme & Variations is worth the ticket alone. I cannot locate it right now, but I remember reading an article in which David Hallberg said that the lead in T&V is definitely one of the hardest male roles one can dance. It is pretty amazing. The rest of the program sounds wonderful and I cannot wait to read the reviews here! Enjoy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I feel like I have heard Four Last Songs constantly this summer (by choice):  at the  Proms, on YouTube, 😊 etc ....for me this is a very good thing! Looking forward to hearing it live once again! Very pleased that David Dawson is creating his ballet with ENB this season. 

I love the Four Last Songs.  We used "Beim Schlafengehen" at my grandfather's funeral at the end for the coffin going out.  I love the way the soprano voice soars at the end especially in the Schwarzkopf recording.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, alison said:

Have you tried Les Noces, Peter?

after making a mistake listening to Four Last Songs in advance, i decided not to listen to Les Noces before i get to Sadlers Wells.

oftentimes, for me, it's best to go into something with no prior knowledge and thus no preconceptions, since choreography can transform a piece of music i wouldn't otherwise appreciate e.g. Crystal Pite's Light of Passage was a symbiotic fusing of her choreography with Górecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs that gave us something greater than the sum of its parts.  i'm hopeful that this will happen with Our Voices.

Edited by PeterS

54 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

Gavin probably mentioned that ENB is not using the original version of "Les Noces" for four pianos but a later version for full orchestra.  I imagine the intervals before and after "Les Noces" would have to be greatly extended if the four-piano version was used, as the pit would have to be completely cleared to get them in and out and then completely reset for the vast forces needed for "Four Last Songs"! And each piano would have to be retuned after moving them into the pit.  All a logistical nightmare! 

Thanks, Irmgard, perhaps that's what it was.  That too might shed some light on why the Royal Ballet hasn't programmed it in ages :(

Agree Tango Dancer! 
I think Les Noces might be the more difficult music for me of this Programme but am sure it will

still be 100 per cent more tolerable than the music for “Creature”

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I love the Four Last Songs.  We used "Beim Schlafengehen" at my grandfather's funeral at the end for the coffin going out.  I love the way the soprano voice soars at the end especially in the Schwarzkopf recording.  

I always remember our music teacher saying to us "well I wouldn't be getting much sleep after that!" 😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sim said:

Makes me weep every time.

It made me weep too but not in a good way. I only wish I had the ‘ear’ to be able to enjoy this kind of music like so many other people can.

Like I say I’ll go along with an open mind and place my trust in the choreography to work its magic. Same for Black Sabbath at the weekend. 

Edited by PeterS
Add info
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, PeterS said:

It made me weep too but not in a good way. I only wish I had the ‘ear’ to be able to enjoy this kind of music like so many other people can.

Like I say I’ll go along with an open mind and place my trust in the choreography to work its magic. Same for Black Sabbath at the weekend. 

Well I love Sabbath too so at least the music for both pieces will be a winner for me!  Interested to hear Sabbath orchestrated…

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

The TodayTix App has stalls and first circle seats at £35. Other offers may be available. 

Aah, I now really regret having booked last week. I could now have got 2nd row stalls for the same price I've paid for a restricted view circle seat, which is quite depressing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Four Last Songs is one of my favourite pieces of sung classical music, especially the Jessie Norman/Kurt Masur recording.  Makes me weep every time.  I can’t wait to see how it is choreographed. 

I will probably never get to see the Ballet version, unless they bring it to the North. However the advertising prompted me to buy the CD last week, with Nina Stemme and Pappano conducting. I have enjoyed this. 

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Aah, I now really regret having booked last week. I could now have got 2nd row stalls for the same price I've paid for a restricted view circle seat, which is quite depressing.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to watch T&V from the front stalls, but people's views may vary.

I’ve seen T&V from Stalls, Circle/Grand Tier/Dress Circle and Amphitheatre/Second Circle positions, and can happily report that you get a great experience wherever you sit. It’s a plotless work, so there’s not much acting or narrative to follow, but in the Stalls, you can enjoy the beautiful classical choreography and steps up close if you like to admire or scrutinise the technique, while higher up allows you to see the patterns and grand effect of the elegant costumes and (usually minimalist but very elegant) set. In some ways, it reminds me of Diamonds from Jewels but with more difficult steps! 

I find that Four Last Songs, like a lot of Strauss’s sung repertoire (Daphne, Arabella, Der Rosenkavalier, Morgen! etc) often sounds better live in person than on recordings even if the recordings are very good. Eg I listen to the YouTube clip of Renee Fleming the most, and while I enjoy the clip a lot, hearing her sing it live was even better. Also, with the dancing going on at the same time, I think it will add something more to the music, so hopefully if the songs on their own are not a top favourite, having the dancing at the same time should enhance it. Also, two wonderful casts (Lee, Takahashi, Frola et al and Takahashi, Khaniukova, McCormick et al) whom I’m really looking forward to seeing!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 09:45, alison said:

He said that they had to use an orchestral arrangement for Les Noces as logistically, there was nowhere to put four pianos at Sadler’s Wells [that includes outside the theatre, which is where the sets often wait in a lorry in between ballets] while the orchestra was occupying the orchestra pit to play  for the other two ballets. He did add, or words to the effect, that logistical reasons weren’t ideal reasons for making artistic decisions, but unavoidable when there was no place to put the pianos “unless you hang them up” (cue some chuckling at this joke). A nice little excerpt of Tchaikovsky’s music for T&V was played too. (Wednesday 13 September’s episode of In Tune, if anyone wants to hear it on BBC Sounds. )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2023 at 10:31, fromthebalcony said:

Would love to see this program. Theme & Variations is worth the ticket alone. I cannot locate it right now, but I remember reading an article in which David Hallberg said that the lead in T&V is definitely one of the hardest male roles one can dance. It is pretty amazing. The rest of the program sounds wonderful and I cannot wait to read the reviews here! Enjoy!

Daniil Simkin also said the same when he danced it at ABT.  It’s fantastic when a company is able to present Theme and Variations. I agree with you re: the ticket price and T&V! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Please can someone confirm the run time tonight? The rehearsal last night had a rather long second interval in particular and finished much later than anticipated. 

It's 9.30 and we're waiting for the last piece to start.

• Like 1

So sorry you are unwell Sharon how so disappointing for you and hope you are feeling much better very soon. 
This time last year both my partner and I got Covid for the first time in the middle of our holiday!! Still at least we were both the same just no energy whatsoever so driving to places to have daytime sleeps in the car ended up passing the time lol!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Please can someone confirm the run time tonight? The rehearsal last night had a rather long second interval in particular and finished much later than anticipated. 

I think it finished around 10 - wasn’t paying much attention but the last ballet was not too long (thankfully)

• Like 2

In bad news, David Dawson has still not got over his obsession with male dancers carrying female dancers around upside down in nude leotards with their legs splayed.  The ballet got a standing ovation so I am probably in a minority here but it made me quite angry.  There was not one sequence in the ballet where women were not being manhandled……

Some extraordinary performances in Les Noces though.  Especially James Streeter.

• Like 5

Yes we were shocked too as when we were away we didn’t realise we had Covid till we got home as neither of us had a really bad cough and thought we’d got away with not getting it by then . When we took precautionary tests we were both surprised it was Covid and my test didn’t clear for 12 days even though I felt fine by then. 

I’ve had much worse infections than that one though so hope it’s the same with you. 

• Like 1