Royal Ballet on tour in Japan - June 2023

3 hours ago, emmarose said:

I'm wondering if I can somehow get myself to Tokyo for next season. 

I don't think the RB is going next year.  So it gives you a bit of time to save, and me a few more goes to try to win the Lottery!!

• Like 5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Sadly I do think I’m going to score on either of those …

Ditto.  But I just won a lucky dip last night, so maybe my time has come!!  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

Ah, lucky you! I have never won as much as a booby prize so don’t see that changing now. And my previous post was obviously meant to read ‘don’t’ not ‘do’. Must get into the habit of checking what’s been posted. 

I have just changed it for you.  :)

• Thanks 1

Back from the final performance in Tokyo, I have fully enjoyed them all and will post my views later, it was wonderful to see 7 performances of Romeo and Juliet with all different casts. As previously mentioned, there was a special curtain call with all the dancers on stage, many of them in their usual clothes.

One dancer that was most memorable for me was Joseph Sissens who danced Mercutio on Saturday evening and Sunday, what a versatile and beautiful dancer he is, I am sure he will be the next to be promoted. 

I have grabbed cast sheets for all performances so I will post them later but today’s cast list was quite funny; Kristen McNally in both the Nurse and Lady Capulet, which is of course impossible and in fact Mica Bradbury danced the role of the Nurse. 

IMG_0013.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Sim said:

I don't think the RB is going next year.  So it gives you a bit of time to save, and me a few more goes to try to win the Lottery!!

Even better, time to save and prepare, it's somewhere I want to go to anyway, so this will give me the push! And fingers crossed for the lottery!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swan said:

Thank you @JennyTaylor and @Naomi M for your wonderful contributions during the tour. Looking at Instagram, the dancers and the audiences seem to have had a terrific time so I may also need to start saving for 2025!

Maybe we'll be looking at a group discount on a forumwide trip, we're all being tempted!

• Like 4

I know there was discussion earlier this season in this forum about the price and itinerary for the Japan trip offered.  Can someone point me to where I can find that discussion? I want to start saving!

A big Thank You to all who reported on the events and the performances.  

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
40 minutes ago, Josette said:

I know there was discussion earlier this season in this forum about the price and itinerary for the Japan trip offered.  Can someone point me to where I can find that discussion? I want to start saving!

A big Thank You to all who reported on the events and the performances.  

Sorry - I can't find the discussion but here's the brochure

https://royaloperahouse.sharefile.com/share/view/sb15bd9b43ca2486ea2ec72552cfacded

Edited by oncnp

48 minutes ago, Josette said:

I know there was discussion earlier this season in this forum about the price and itinerary for the Japan trip offered.  Can someone point me to where I can find that discussion? I want to start saving.  

As long as you are ‘onto’ ticket sales very quickly, a self-help trip can be done relatively easily at a fraction of the RB group price.

I have done this 5 times to watch the RB on tour and 3 times to ‘follow’ ENB abroad but, admittedly, not to Japan.

In addition, there are many on this forum who travel regularly to individual performances abroad. One has to be well-organised but it’s really not that difficult, even to what might seem ‘the back of beyond’.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8

I'm so glad that the dancers are being so lauded! They deserve every minute of it (and look as if they're enjoying it greatly, judging by Instagram! Though I'm sure it's very demanding too).

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, oncnp said:

😂 From what I picked up on IG, the whole Company had a day off last weekend and various dancers captured themselves making the most of that. It seems that the subject of this series of images was a bit behind the pace in his sharing!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, capybara said:

As long as you are ‘onto’ ticket sales very quickly, a self-help trip can be done relatively easily at a fraction of the RB group price.

I have done this 5 times to watch the RB on tour and 3 times to ‘follow’ ENB abroad but, admittedly, not to Japan.

In addition, there are many on this forum who travel regularly to individual performances abroad. One has to be well-organised but it’s really not that difficult, even to what might seem ‘the back of beyond’.

If people on this forum are tempted to travel to Japan to see ballet, I can offer some help, as sometimes information comes out only in Japanese. 

There are also galas run by Nehemiah Kish that are going to be performed in Sapporo and Akita(north part of Japan) in August. Sadly I cannot travel to see it this time but the lineup of dancers are so tempting. 
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsfES_Oo9aS/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrswJWiolA2/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I will also be going to Osaka to see the Kaneko Muntagirov Romeo and Juliet. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Interesting that both of the Kish 'Royal Ballet' galas noted in the IG links quoted above include Frola (Francesco not Alessandro) .... Wonder if this is beginning to tell us something, or simply that Kish also had Frola appear in the 'Nureyev' galas at Drury Lane last September.  All other dancers itemised it seems are contractual members of the official 'Royal Ballet' roll.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

44 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Interesting that both of the Kish 'Royal Ballet' galas noted in the IG links quoted above include Frola (Francesco not Alessandro) .... Wonder if this is beginning to tell us something, or simply that Kish also had Frola appear in the 'Nureyev' galas at Drury Lane last September.  All other dancers itemised it seems are contractual members of the official 'Royal Ballet' roll.  

I think that, notwithstanding Frola's talent, your 'speculation' is a bridge too far, Bruce, especially since, arguably, the RB already has rather too many Principals.

Let's not forget that Hikaru Kobayashi has a gala entitled The Artists in Japan on the 11th, 12th and 13th August which is featuring Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Fumi Kaneko, Daichi Ikarashi, Mayara Magri, Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov among others including Tyler Peck!!!! That is quite a line up. 

https://www.theartists.jp 

As I understand it, there is some sort of agreement within Japan that, if a dancer appears with one group, he/she cannot then be featured in another within a given period of time. I believe, also, that Nehemiah Kish's initiative is being mounted away from the usual performing hotspots

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I think that, notwithstanding Frola's talent, your 'speculation' is a bridge too far, Bruce, especially since, arguably, the RB already has rather too many Principals.

I agree, capybara.  I was in fact writing partially in jest for the reasons you suggest - and wouldn't have mentioned it were Kish not to have focused on the 'Royal Ballet' so much in his commercial (i.e., titled) nomenclature.  Just also wanted to say I saw Alessandro (the younger Frola brother) aside the truly STUNNING Japanese ballerina Madoka Sugai in a glorious performance of Neumeier's wittily poignant Sleeping Beauty in Hamburg recently and you can well see many qualitative chips off his fraternal block mixed alongside a sweetly innocent beam all his own.  There was no question but that his was in every considerable inch - replete with those oh, so long legs which he deploys to assured advantage much as, say, Sarafanov was wont to do - a very questing prince.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Er - I have just looked at the prices for going on the tour.  When I had picked myself up off the floor, I thought maybe my bank account might have a fit.  Especially as it included lots of things I don't particularly want to do, such as cooking, sake and calligraphy.  So, if anyone wants to arrange an independent tour in the future, I might be interested!

Incidentally, do we know where they are going next year?  

22 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I agree, capybara.  I was in fact writing partially in jest for the reasons you suggest - and wouldn't have mentioned it were Kish not to have focused on the 'Royal Ballet' so much in his commercial (i.e., titled) nomenclature.  

Kish seems to be using the term Royal as part of his developing brand. I noticed that his and Yuhui's ballet classes in the USA also had that tag.

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, capybara said:

Let's not forget that Hikaru Kobayashi has a gala entitled The Artists in Japan on the 11th, 12th and 13th August which is featuring Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Fumi Kaneko, Daichi Ikarashi, Mayara Magri, Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov among others including Tyler Peck!!!! That is quite a line up. 

https://www.theartists.jp 

As I understand it, there is some sort of agreement within Japan that, if a dancer appears with one group, he/she cannot then be featured in another within a given period of time. I believe, also, that Nehemiah Kish's initiative is being mounted away from the usual performing hotspots

Speaking of galas in Japan if you happen to be there in November.....   Ballet Muses ―The Beauty of Ballet 2023― | Koransha

Edited by oncnp

14 hours ago, emmarose said:

Vadim's Instagram is so like him as a person, just kind of gentle and sweet and nothing at all to bother anyone. Very pure!

Lovely description of him, emmarose; couldn't agree more.  I love the 4th video in of him dancing. Great he's so often videoed doing a pirouette or an arabesque even out of doors. He just exudes the joy of dance wherever he is. Looking forward to hearing comments of his Romeo and Juliet with Fumi. Would be wonderful if it could be filmed!!!       I don't suppose there was a film of his Month in the Country with Morera?

Interesting to see a comment by his Instagram film from Sergei Filin too. 

• Like 8

Have greatly enjoyed reading comments and seeing pictures of the Japan tour. By all accounts it appears to have been a huge success. Wouldn't it be wonderful if some sort of recognition by our arts loving government could be given, or even a small.mention in the press? 

• Like 10