Royal Ballet on tour in Japan - June 2023

I've just returned from the opening night of R&J in Japan. Steven McRae and Sarah Lamb were in the principal roles. I think it's fair to say that it was a great opening to R&J with the audience giving it a very enthusiastic reception.  The whole company were on top form with particular mentions for James Hay as Mercutio, Calvin Richardson as Benvolio and Gary Avis as Tybalt.  The audience called Steven and Sarah back for multiple curtain calls (normal in Japan I think, for high profile productions such as this).   

I arrived yesterday as part of the RB tour supporters' party. Others have been here longer for the initial triple bill. From what I hear, that was immensely successful too.  We went to a stage /costume rehearsal yesterday (Osipova/Clark) which was also work in progress. It's so interesting to see how adjustments have to be made for scenery and props, new (local) actors and also a local orchestra.  lt all worked seamlessly today.  Natalia and Reece were both excellent, with Natalia giving a tour de force performance (yes, in a rehearsal) of great characterisation and depth. So many different nuances unique to her. 

The theatre is lovely, with excellent site lines and the Japanese fans extremely enthusiastic. There were queues waiting at the stage door for the dancers to exit this evening.   It's very exciting to be here and to look forward to the mouth watering performances to come.      

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've just returned from the opening night of R&J in Japan. Steven McRae and Sarah Lamb were in the principal roles. I think it's fair to say that it was a great opening to R&J with the audience giving it a very enthusiastic reception.  The whole company were on top form with particular mentions for James Hay as Mercutio, Calvin Richardson as Benvolio and Gary Avis as Tybalt.  The audience called Steven and Sarah back for multiple curtain calls (normal in Japan I think, for high profile productions such as this).   

I arrived yesterday as part of the RB tour supporters' party. Others have been here longer for the initial triple bill. From what I hear, that was immensely successful too.  We went to a stage /costume rehearsal yesterday (Osipova/Clark) which was also work in progress. It's so interesting to see how adjustments have to be made for scenery and props, new (local) actors and also a local orchestra.  lt all worked seamlessly today.  Natalia and Reece were both excellent, with Natalia giving a tour de force performance (yes, in a rehearsal) of great characterisation and depth. So many different nuances unique to her. 

The theatre is lovely, with excellent site lines and the Japanese fans extremely enthusiastic. There were queues waiting at the stage door for the dancers to exit this evening.   It's very exciting to be here and to look forward to the mouth watering performances to come.      

From what I have seen on Instagram the dancers are treated like film stars - which is lovely!

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Richard LH said:

@Naomi M It would be lovely if you could let us know how the performance went ?

Of course! So sorry I haven't been able to write specific reviews of the performance, I was busy with my job and my little son was also sick but I have managed to see the three Royal Celebration galas and the opening night of Romeo and Juliet which were all excellent and the audience very enthusiastic. I will try to write about them a little later as tomorrow I will see 2 more shows in a day of R&J and also there is class on stage in the morning (if I manage to get up early) 

There was also a screening of Cinderella with Gary Avis as the guest and what a lovely man he was, he even watched the film together as he said he had not seen the filmed performance yet.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Just returned from a phenomenal Romeo and Juliet starring Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae. I suppose this is the first full length classical ballet that McRae starred since his injury, and he made a brilliant comeback, he had beautiful fast pirouettes in the balcony scene, fabulous musicality and the partnership with Lamb was fabulous, great partnering skills and their acting was very natural. I love Sarah’s Juliet, being  intelligent but also vulnerable and she was fighting against the world as a young feminist. James Hay’s Mercutio was brilliant too, beautiful dancing and good characterization iand of course Gary Avis’ Tybalt is overwhelming and stealing the show with his charisma. There were countless curtain calls, and everyone seemed to be deeply moved, everyone in the orchestra level were on their feet. I was especially happy for McRae. 
Today’s performance was completely sold out, and I think almost all performances of R & J have been sold out or only a few seats remaining. 

IMG_9955.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for your lovely reports, @JennyTaylor and @Naomi M

Brings back memories as Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae’s Romeo and Juliet- Steven’s first ballet on his return from surgery and long rehabilitation after his Achilles’ tendon injury, so an emotional evening where a full house were supporting him (literally!) every step of the way! Also my first show of any kind after Covid restrictions were lifted - it felt very surreal to see every seat occupied again.

Naomi M, I hope your little son is feeling better and makes a full recovery  very soon. 💛Thank you for taking the time to post photos and information when you must be very busy.  🙏

• Like 6

2 absolutely superb performances today, first from Matthew and Yasmin and then from Alex and Francesca. Beautiful, heart wrenching, emotional and just brilliant from both couples in such different ways, and I've run out of adjectives as has everyone else.  2 standing ovations and multiple curtain calls.  

We've all seen how well Matt and Yasmin perform this ballet together and they are such a beautiful partnership, full of romance and passion.  They built on that this afternoon and I felt this show was on a totally different plane from yesterday. I'm sure some will disagree, that's just my view. Added spice was provided by Ryo's portrayal of Tybalt - pure malice.  So, we enjoyed some real sparks flying and there was a lot of rough and tumble in the marketplace all round. 

Matt's parents were there to see him which was delightful, and Mayara Magri was also in the audience, and she took video of all the curtain calls of Matt and Yasmin at the end - lovely!  You get to see these extra things on tour. 

When we returned for the evening performance, Matt was still outside signing autographs and doing selfies with the huge number of fans outside the stage door and queued all along the side of the building. 

Francesca's Juliet was a thing of beauty - her naturally fluid style lending itself to the choreography - joyous and heart breaking. Alex was a romantic and passionate Romeo and a fantastic partner.  We had James Hay as Mercutio at full throttle in the dancing and acting stakes. SO much expression in those eyes and with Ben Ella as Benvolio they made a wonderful threesome - extremely well matched as dancers. 

The whole cast are on top form.  Sadly we don't have tickets for tomorrow's show, though we are going to another stage call. We will be back on Saturday for the eye watering prospect of Will and Marianela. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

2 absolutely superb performances today, first from Matthew and Yasmin and then from Alex and Francesca. Beautiful, heart wrenching, emotional and just brilliant from both couples in such different ways, and I've run out of adjectives as has everyone else.  2 standing ovations and multiple curtain calls.  

We've all seen how well Matt and Yasmin perform this ballet together and they are such a beautiful partnership, full of romance and passion.  They built on that this afternoon and I felt this show was on a totally different plane from yesterday. I'm sure some will disagree, that's just my view. Added spice was provided by Ryo's portrayal of Tybalt - pure malice.  So, we enjoyed some real sparks flying and there was a lot of rough and tumble in the marketplace all round. 

Matt's parents were there to see him which was delightful, and Mayara Magri was also in the audience, and she took video of all the curtain calls of Matt and Yasmin at the end - lovely!  You get to see these extra things on tour. 

When we returned for the evening performance, Matt was still outside signing autographs and doing selfies with the huge number of fans outside the stage door and queued all along the side of the building. 

Francesca's Juliet was a thing of beauty - her naturally fluid style lending itself to the choreography - joyous and heart breaking. Alex was a romantic and passionate Romeo and a fantastic partner.  We had James Hay as Mercutio at full throttle in the dancing and acting stakes. SO much expression in those eyes and with Ben Ella as Benvolio they made a wonderful threesome - extremely well matched as dancers. 

The whole cast are on top form.  Sadly we don't have tickets for tomorrow's show, though we are going to another stage call. We will be back on Saturday for the eye watering prospect of Will and Marianela. 

I am so envious. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your tour! Thanks for sharing :) 

• Like 8

Maybe I have talked with some of the lovely people here who traveled to see these fabulous performances! Hope you all are enjoying Japan, although I am sure everyone are loving all the stages they have seen on this tour. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Maybe I have talked with some of the lovely people here who traveled to see these fabulous performances! Hope you all are enjoying Japan, although I am sure everyone are loving all the stages they have seen on this tour. 

We are loving Japan, thank you Naomi. We are quite easy to spot in the auditorium as we sit around row 22, altogether. Not there tonight sadly, but we are going to dinner with some dancers so ballet is definitely on the menu.

• Like 5

OK, where to start.  Marianela and Will took it by storm this evening. I think we got up to 10 curtain calls but I lost count.  Utterly, utterly brilliant. 

Will's acting skills are on a different plane from all other Romeo's (in my opinion, of course) and we saw everything we saw in London last time round again and perhaps even more. His partnership with Marianela rose to dramatic and dancing heights and for me, this was the best Juliet I have ever seen her perform.  Their passion fed off each other and her Act 3 was definitely on a different level, heightened by what had gone before. Their bedroom pdd conveyed, passion, love and total despair. Heart wrenching and glorious.  Dancing and acting perfection. 

Will's facial expressions are constantly changing: it really is acting and dancing. He tells such a story.  We had Joe Sissens and Calvin Richardson as Mercutio and Benvolio and they were phenomenal (hot!).  The 3 men were totally in sync and the camaraderie between them was electric and heart warming. The audience recognised this and there was applause at the end of each of their sections together and separately (Mercutio at the ball).  The fight scenes are becoming increasingly fierce:  Will really went for Tybalt (Ben Gartside) with passion and anger but was then totally distraught when he had killed him, falling on the ground in utter despair.  Elsewhere, as the whole cast become more settled in their roles, the other fight scenes and marketplace brawls are also becoming rougher and edgier. 

The balcony pdd was a dream.  Beautifully executed and incredibly romantic.     

The final scene was heartbreaking.  As Will lay dying from the poison, he made several heart wrenching attempts to reach Juliet's hand but failed. Marianela took a long time to climb over the tomb to reach him with her dying breath. It was so beautiful and heart felt.  Roars of applause greeted their initial curtain call which was so beautiful because as the curtain opened, they were hugging each other, rather than just standing together. 

For me, this was worth coming on the tour alone. Will this partnership ever be repeated. Who knows, but I'm just so grateful I saw it.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

OK, where to start.  Marianela and Will took it by storm this evening. I think we got up to 10 curtain calls but I lost count.  Utterly, utterly brilliant. 

Will's acting skills are on a different plane from all other Romeo's (in my opinion, of course) and we saw everything we saw in London last time round again and perhaps even more. His partnership with Marianela rose to dramatic and dancing heights and for me, this was the best Juliet I have ever seen her perform.  Their passion fed off each other and her Act 3 was definitely on a different level, heightened by what had gone before. Their bedroom pdd conveyed, passion, love and total despair. Heart wrenching and glorious.  Dancing and acting perfection. 

Will's facial expressions are constantly changing: it really is acting and dancing. He tells such a story.  We had Joe Sissens and Calvin Richardson as Mercutio and Benvolio and they were phenomenal (hot!).  The 3 men were totally in sync and the camaraderie between them was electric and heart warming. The audience recognised this and there was applause at the end of each of their sections together and separately (Mercutio at the ball).  The fight scenes are becoming increasingly fierce:  Will really went for Tybalt (Ben Gartside) with passion and anger but was then totally distraught when he had killed him, falling on the ground in utter despair.  Elsewhere, as the whole cast become more settled in their roles, the other fight scenes and marketplace brawls are also becoming rougher and edgier. 

The final scene was heartbreaking.  As Will lay dying from the poison, he made several heart wrenching attempts to reach Juliet's hand but failed. Marianela took a long time to climb over the tomb to reach him with her dying breath. It was so beautiful and heart felt.  Roars of applause greeted their initial curtain call which was so beautiful because as the curtain opened, they were hugging each other, rather than just standing together. 

For me, this was worth coming on the tour alone. Will this partnership ever be repeated. Who knows, but I'm just so grateful I saw it.  

So jealous!  Thank you Jenny for allowing us to experience it vicariously through you.  It sounds like an unforgettable performance.  I wish it had been filmed, although of course it's never like being there!  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Thank you for this lovely report, I am very jealous of these audiences.

I've long wanted those two partnered over here in London, but it would be wonderful to see them in Romeo and Juliet together, but we'd have to wait a little while before that, hopefully Manon...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Suffolkgal said:

Oooh I wonder if they might get to partner up in Manon ...

I was wondering/hoping for that too. They partner abroad a lot now but I don't think they've been paired together much (if at all) in London. I know they were together for the Two Pigeons recording but I think Fumi was replacing Laura Morera and that was a while ago. Wasn't Fumi in Vadim's Cinderella as the Fairy Godmother? But even if she was, they don't really dance together in those roles in Cinderella 

I think @Suffolkgal might have been referring to Marianela and Will rather than Vadim and Fumi (that’s who I think you are referring to)? But, having said that, I’d love to see Vadim and Fumi in Manon. They are of course dancing R&J together in a few days time in Osaka but I doubt anyone on this forum will be there to review them, sadly.

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I notice the mention of the multiple curtain calls in Japan, which seem to be a rarity in London.  Why is that?  It can't be because the audiences are less enthusiastic.

The UK companies seem to have a 'standard' approach to curtain calls which does not provide for extension according to the audience reaction.

The orchestra moves into overtime pay if the Conductor's stage bow (which dismisses them) is after 10.30pm. Maybe union agreements for technicians etc. lead to similar constraints?

There seem to be several other reasons to be jealous of Japanese audiences, not least the content of the mixed bills and the varied R&J casting (which could be replicated for Manon).

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I notice the mention of the multiple curtain calls in Japan, which seem to be a rarity in London.  Why is that?  It can't be because the audiences are less enthusiastic.

It's rather sad sometimes to see a standout performance and the audience are running out of the building instead of applauding because they have to catch the last train.

Although I do find the audience can be appreciative but sometimes in a way that seems that it was expected that the show was amazing, and so just keep it to quite polite applause.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Mega, mega jealous!! Thank you so much for sharing this - the cast sounds like an absolute dream! I am living vicariously through your review! 😍

• Like 6

I think the crypt scene is the best I have ever seen.  Sometimes I feel a bit cheated in that scene, as R&J don't actually dance together, but they both individually were so incredibly dramatic in their grief and anguish, that one was totally focussed on one and then the other.  As I've said, the entire performance was played at high levels of energy and drama, led from the front by both Principals and Mercutio and Benvolio. 

I've read Marianela's Instagram post too - what a tribute.   

• Like 7

Ref the curtain calls, the audience are very enthusiastic and the dancers love it!  At the ROH, I feel there is now an expectation on the number - it's a set piece - and it seems everyone is ready to leave the theatre once that set piece has been completed. 

• Like 2

So the Tokyo R&J run is now complete and what a triumph for all concerned. We concluded with a bang as expected with Akane and Ryochi going down a storm with their adoring public. Also a bang because after the initial curtain call, the curtain rose to reveal the entire company on stage and showers of gold glitter descended onto the stage.  A great farewell wave from them all. Fantastic!

What a joy it has been and today was no exception. I hadn't seen the 3 harlots today (Nadia Mullova-Barley, Gina Storm-Jensen and Hannah Grennell) in a full performance so far and they certainly gave it their own flavour.  We were also treated to Gary Avis as Tybalt and Joe and Calvin as Mercutio and Benvolio. Once again the marketplace scenes took my eye and I noticed one harlot mounting the stairs and hitting someone with a brush!   It's different every time and great fun. Taisuke Nakao gained rapturous applause for the mandolin dance, as has every lead throughout. 

It's been an amazing experience. I hope I have managed to convey something of it to you. I don't have the technical knowledge to comment so I'm not even going to try, but just to transmit a flavour of it, as I have seen it personally.  Opinions always differ but I know all the group here have enjoyed it all so much.   Lovely theatre and incredibly friendly reception for us all.   

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Thanks so much Jenny. It has been a joy to read your colourful and detailed reports. They have made me - and no doubt many others here on the forum - more than a little envious. So glad you have enjoyed your visit to Tokyo so much and have a safe journey back to the UK. 

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Thanks so much Jenny. It has been a joy to read your colourful and detailed reports. They have made me - and no doubt many others here on the forum - more than a little envious. So glad you have enjoyed your visit to Tokyo so much and have a safe journey back to the UK. 

My sentiments exactly, Jenny's posts have made it call come to life and I'm wondering if I can somehow get myself to Tokyo for next season. What treats that audience received! 

• Like 7