Royal Ballet on tour in Japan - June 2023

Guest oncnp
17 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

Has the tour finished now?  I'm just wondering if promotions will be announced shortly

Osaka on the 5th and Himeji on the 8th

Edited by oncnp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s hardly any info on the Osaka date only on Tokyo which finished yesterday on 2nd.

It does say there will be one performance of R&J in Osaka on the tour but all the ticket and performance info has seemed centred on Tokyo. 
There is a bit of a gap until the gala then…would the whole Company stay for so long with no performances scheduled? 

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There’s hardly any info on the Osaka date only on Tokyo which finished yesterday on 2nd.

It does say there will be one performance of R&J in Osaka on the tour but all the ticket and performance info has seemed centred on Tokyo. 
There is a bit of a gap until the gala then…would the whole Company stay for so long with no performances scheduled? 

I would think anyone not needed for the gala would be going home after the 5th

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I would think anyone not needed for the gala would be going home after the 5th

Some leading dancers are either home already (eg Alex Campbell) or off elsewhere Guesting (e.g. Reece Clarke).

(Source - their IG accounts.)

• Like 1

The Osaka performance was fabulous, Fumi Kaneko's acting in the third act was so detailed and dramatic, and the partnership with Muntagirov was apparent, they made a beautiful pair and they did not look as they are acting, they were living the role. Hirano's Tybalt was powerful, menacing and without mercy, Luca Acri and Joseph Sissens were also marvelous as Mercutio and Benvolio, plus Daichi Ikarashi's Mandolin solo was a show-stopper with his gravity defying leaps. I think Kaneko was the ballerina that received the most flowers in the curtain call on this tour.  

Unfortunately I am not going to the Himeji gala, and also unfortunately Marianela Nunez got sick and cannot perform, so Onegin and Coppelia are cancelled and William Bracewell will dance Dance of the Blessed Spirits as a replacement. 

https://himeji-culture.jp/hall_event/9410

• Like 10
  • Thanks 10

Thank you so much for your Romeo and Juliet review, Naomi. I was wondering how it had gone and I'm glad it was as wonderful as I thought it was going to be. I hope Kevin takes note and casts them together in London. Manon would be a great start. They've danced together so much abroad yet not in their home country and Company which is a shame. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

They've danced together so much abroad yet not in their home country and Company which is a shame. 

And again - DonQ with the Cape Town City Ballet 22, 25 & 27 August, should you happen to be in the neighborhood.

I didn’t go to the Himeji performance and I heard that the fire alarm rang in the middle of A Month in the Country (which was malfunction) but there is a lovely behind the scenes video of Laura Morera’s final curtain call on Bennet Gartside’s Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CubcJsjuMh0wntSSci37nP2ctLJ34YRI9uBD9I0/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, oncnp said:

@kk_tone on IG stories has some curtain calls from Himeji

well, in Japan usually curtain call photos are not allowed, sometimes there are exceptions but the Royal Ballet Tour was not allowed to take photography of curtain calls if you are an audience member. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

well, in Japan usually curtain call photos are not allowed, sometimes there are exceptions but the Royal Ballet Tour was not allowed to take photography of curtain calls if you are an audience member. 

That’s interesting. There has been shortage of photos all round during the tour.

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

That’s interesting. There has been shortage of photos all round during the tour.

I was surprised to see no audience videos, sometimes in galas and shows on tour you might get some, so well done to the audiences in respecting the rules (it's a huge bugbear of mine when audience members get their phones out and record)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

...while I'm hoping it's Australia. 2017 the last time.

That actually kind of makes a bit of sense, the have a lot of Australian artists and I believe more then ever before.

Im just looking a previous tours to see if a pattern appears:

2023: Japan Tour

2022: Cancelled Japan Tour

2021/20: Cancelled 

2019: Tokyo, Los Angeles Tour

2018: Madrid Tour

2017: Brisbane Tour

2016: Japan Tour

2015: USA Tour (Chicago, New York, Washington DC)

2014: Moscow, Taipei, Shanghai Tour

2013: Monte Carlo, Tokyo Tour

• Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
21 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

That actually kind of makes a bit of sense, the have a lot of Australian artists and I believe more then ever before.

Im just looking a previous tours to see if a pattern appears:

2023: Japan Tour

2022: Cancelled Japan Tour

2021/20: Cancelled 

2019: Tokyo, Los Angeles Tour

2018: Madrid Tour

2017: Brisbane Tour

2016: Japan Tour

2015: USA Tour (Chicago, New York, Washington DC)

2014: Moscow, Taipei, Shanghai Tour

2013: Monte Carlo, Tokyo Tour

We in the US are due a visit but probably too expensive. 

On 08/07/2023 at 12:56, balletfanatic said:

Hope Isabella gets to dance juliet soon. She'll be lovely 

And despite her amazing dancing and acting ability, she actually looks young enough to realistically portray a teenager!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balletbloke said:

And despite her amazing dancing and acting ability, she actually looks young enough to realistically portray a teenager!

There are also some very lovely photos of her Juliette in Gasparini's instagram, and also more on her IG story(which has some photos with Laura Morera as well as more with her colleagues back stage).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CueRJvYvgFk/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng%3D%3D

58 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

There are also some very lovely photos of her Juliette in Gasparini's instagram, and also more on her IG story(which has some photos with Laura Morera as well as more with her colleagues back stage).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CueRJvYvgFk/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng%3D%3D

Interesting to see Gasparini's Juliet costume has Cuthbertson listed as the previous wearer. I know costumes are made adjustable to fit different dancers but Cutherbertson must be inches taller than Gasparini. I would have expected Gasparini to be sharing with perhaps Naghdi or Magri.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...