THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2023

Joe Sissens was promoted only last season wasn't he, to first soloist?  He needs further experience at that level I think before promotion. Hopefully more roles at trop level this year and then Principal? He so deserves it.

Brzilian dancer Isabella Gasparini is one of those quetly 'getting on with it' isn't she, taking on more roles but as she didn't join the RB via the conventional RBS route I think she slipped under the radar a little at first. Certainly deserves promotion!

https://balletassociation.co.uk/pages/reports-2019-isabella-gasparini

She has a really interesting blog, though that appears to have been halted for now, perhaps she's too busy dancing, well worth spending time catching up on her posts and the photos.

https://www.isabellagasparini.com/

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope Joe Sissens becomes Principal in the next couple of years especially as been following his remarkable progress since he was 15! 
I agree with others that Isabella Gasparini deserves promotion right now as already thought she was a First soloist! 
I can’t remember whether Leticia Dias was promoted last year but she definitely has Principal qualities for the future…another dancer like Cesar Corrales ( hope he’s back very soon) who I’ve enjoyed following since their Prix days but before it was live-streamed so depended on dancers individual blogs. These two so very young but giving sparkling performances even back then. 

• Like 3

Leticia Dias is another gorgeous dancer who yes could well be 'bumped up'to First Soloist if not this year then next!

Here she is rehearsing with Merle Park the variation from Les Rendezvous, Ashton Rediscovered masterclass 20 February 2022 (embedded link)

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for clip always a joy to see Leticia dancing but also Merle Park!!! 
She must have been 84 a year ago and still lots of movement in her body and moreover able to keep up the stamina of this coaching session!! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blossom said:

Also echo desire for Leo Dixon to be promoted - along with Dias he has been one I have enjoyed watching grow over the years. 

I agree. Leo Dixon is one of those dancers with the ability to draw in the audience so always interesting to watch. 

• Like 9

There is actually so much talent in the RB isn't there? Difficult to choose!

It's really a matter of gaining experience for some before promotion I think, the pandemic certainly didn't help. One thing to be said for the current 'big classics and bums on seats' approach to what is in the the rep is that there are opportunities for many younger dancers to be given solo roles (Lilac Fairy seems to be a good testing ground for example, also Clara & Nutcracker/ Hans Peter) and for newbies to spend time performing in the corps and able to watch and learn from others.

The company is probably too top heavy with Principals, however they do perform, just mainly not in this country!  All deserve their status and at least by allowing guest appearances they stay with the RB and don't move on. Good PR for the RB too.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ondine said:
14 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yu Hang...she should be a First Artist candidate IMO

Here she is in 2019. 

Yes I was at this super 2019 SB Insight (and can be spotted in the front row of the audience....😊!). She impressed me then as someone who should go far.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Though as we have said Principal level is 'top heavy' is there room for James Hay? He's certainly more than ready!

Sadly, I think that hopes for James Hay’s promotion to principal are likely to go much the same way as those for Yuhui Choe a few years back. 

• Like 9

At the ‘Live at Lunch’ today were 4 Aud Jebsen dancers in a short class.

Martin Diaz, Luc Foskett, Scarlett Harvey and Ella Newton-Severgnini.

Kevin O’ Hare hosted, Sian Murphy teaching, Rob Clark on the piano. 

Kevin announced that all these 4 are joining the company. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

That is great news.  I mentioned Martin above, so am particularly happy about him.  I also like Ella very much, and need to familiarise myself with Luc and Scarlett.  Many congrats to all four of them!

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Well done all four...super news!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Sadly, I think that hopes for James Hay’s promotion to principal are likely to go much the same way as those for Yuhui Choe a few years back. 

And Melissa Hamilton too. Such depth of talented dancers.

• Like 8

In a strange co-incidence I had been going to add Harrison Lee to this thread, and lo before I could he was mentioned in the Sleeping Beauty thread! He's dancing Florestan and his sisters tonight.   Hopefully he's now fully recovered from his jaw operation, what a worrying time it must have been.

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/resources/prix-de-lausanne-winners-in-conversation-

Here he is with his Prix de Lausanne winning performance in 2015, aged only 15.  Lovely. Enjoy. Such talent.

• Like 5

My highlights tonight … Akane (Aurora), Annette Buvoli (Lilac), Harrison Lee (Florestan trio), Meaghan Grace Hingis (Florine), Itziar Mendizabal (Carabosse), Prologue fairies by Amelia Townsend and Isabella Gasparini.   Nice to see beaming smile of Chisato Katsura too

whoops … should be in Beauty thread 

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, FionaE said:

whoops … should be in Beauty thread 

I thought that too!....but I do agree with your stand outs of the night although I would also add James Hay as Florimund. Akane though...just sublime! So pleased for her 😍...more tomorrow (in Beauty thread)!

• Like 3

If I could decide right now, I would promote - Liam Boswell to First Artist.

Leticia Stock to Soloist. And Isabella Gasparini to First Soloist. All 3 have more than proved they deserve the promotion and Stock in particular has proven that for years but is always overlooked.  If Romany Pajdak had performed this season I definitely would have promoted her to First Soloist also because she is like a shining star on the stage and my eyes are drawn to her no matter what role she's in. 

• Like 8

Isabelle Gasparini is a wonderful dancer, she always lights up the stage when she appears. I was surprised that she isn’t as far up the ranks as I thought and hope she gets a very deserved promotion this year.

• Like 14

Joseph Sissens posted on his Instagram story that he’s learning the R + J balcony  pas de deux from Edward Watson.

Is he performing this while the RB is on tour by any chance?

I can’t wait for his Romeo, which I assume will happen in the 2024/25 season whether or not he is a principal then.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Joseph Sissens posted on his Instagram story that he’s learning the R + J balcony  pas de deux from Edward Watson.

Is he performing this while the RB is on tour by any chance?

Joe might dance the pas de deux in a gala or be a ‘cover’ but I think that the Japanese promoters are very strict that only Principals dance the leading roles when the RB is on tour. In the past, what might be regarded as ‘early’ promotions have resulted from this rule.

• Like 5

I thought I'd add this here too. Artist Braydon Gallucci, Australia, at age 16 he was a Prix de Lausanne finalist, here he is at 17 winning a silver medal at the 2016 Genée International Ballet Competition in Sydney.  Another to watch, a gifted young man whose progress will have been impacted by the pandemic.

Australian dancer Brayden Gallucci was born in Newcastle, NSW and began dancing locally at the age of three. Before joining The Royal Ballet Upper School he trained full time with Hilary Kaplan and Archibald McKenzie at The Alegria School of Ballet.

After completing three years at the Royal Ballet School, Brayden graduated into The Royal Ballet’s Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme from the start of the 2019/20 Season. During his first season with the company he was given the opportunity to join The Royal Ballet as a full company member...

Awards and competitions include the final of the 2016 Prix de Lausanne, silver medal at the 2016 Genée International Ballet Competition (now Fonteyn International Ballet Competition), and the Gailene Stock Award for Most Promising Student while at The Royal Ballet School in 2018.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I thought I'd add this here too. Artist Braydon Gallucci, Australia, at age 16 he was a Prix de Lausanne finalist, here he is at 17 winning a silver medal at the 2016 Genée International Ballet Competition in Sydney.  Another to watch, a gifted young man whose progress will have been impacted by the pandemic.

Australian dancer Brayden Gallucci was born in Newcastle, NSW and began dancing locally at the age of three. Before joining The Royal Ballet Upper School he trained full time with Hilary Kaplan and Archibald McKenzie at The Alegria School of Ballet.

After completing three years at the Royal Ballet School, Brayden graduated into The Royal Ballet’s Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme from the start of the 2019/20 Season. During his first season with the company he was given the opportunity to join The Royal Ballet as a full company member...

Awards and competitions include the final of the 2016 Prix de Lausanne, silver medal at the 2016 Genée International Ballet Competition (now Fonteyn International Ballet Competition), and the Gailene Stock Award for Most Promising Student while at The Royal Ballet School in 2018.

I agree about how talented Brayden is. He was a real ‘stand out’ in the end of year RBS performances with an exceptionally strong and appealing stage presence.

This is still very much in evidence even though, so far, he’s been integral to the corps. His height (very tall) probably contributes to his always seeming to be ‘at the back’. One can only hope that he is not fated to become Xander Parish Mark2 in the spear carrying sense!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

His height (very tall)

I suspect he's another who will come into his own now he's stopped growing! It takes time for tall men to gain control of those long limbs and continue building up strength? ? However, what an asset they can be.

Edited by Ondine

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how others feel but having no announcement about promotions before the RB leaves on tour seems very late. I appreciate that the Director needs first to have his annual meeting with every dancer, but ……….

ENB’s will doubtless be delayed but has anything come out of BRB or NB or Scottish yet?

On 27/05/2023 at 10:56, PeterS said:

Shout out for Harris Bell who also deserves to move up the ranks imho

Another vote here for Harris; I would very much like to see him move up.  I also agree with Leticia Dias and Isabella Gasparini; both really lovely dancers with great stage presence.  

I don’t know if Mica Bradbury has been mentioned but she always draws my eye too.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I don’t know how others feel but having no announcement about promotions before the RB leaves on tour seems very late. I appreciate that the Director needs first to have his annual meeting with every dancer, but ……….

Isn't it fairly common for the full promotion announcement to be after the season ends? I thought in recent previous years it had at least sometimes been the case. Principal promotions have been announced earlier but it seems unlikely there will be any new Principals this time. ETA Digging through the News section, last year the full promotions announcement wasn't made until 8th July, though the Bracewell & Clarke Principal promotions had been announced on 22nd May.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last sentence.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1