THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2023

Seeing on Instagram that it was a year ago this week when some RB promotions were announced has made me realise that we have not yet begun to speculate on this forum as to who might be (or who we would like to see) promoted this year.

I don't think that we shall see any new Principals and that most of the 'movement' will be in the lower ranks. But what of the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers, some of whom have already had a second year? As far as social media has revealed, among those only Ava May Llewellyn  has left to take up a contract with BRB. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, art_enthusiast said:

I believe that a lot of them became RB Artists last year? E.g. Daichi Ikarashi,  Marianna Tsembenhoi

I hope the same will happen with the current ones.

Those two dancers were in the 2020/21 cohort. How time flies!

From the 2021/22 group, only Viola Pantuso received an Artist contract.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, capybara said:

I don't think that we shall see any new Principals and that most of the 'movement' will be in the lower ranks. B

I hope not. 19 (with Morera leaving) is already ~ 1/5 of the company 

Liam Boswell hopefully - certainly been given high profile roles recently so presumably Management recognise his qualities.

Perhaps it’s too soon for Marco Masciari but     I suspect he will move up the ranks quickly. He certainly has something about him!

• Like 10

So many for so long have wished to see Yuhui Choe (a mum now,  which is lovely) promoted, but... it hasn't happened. Actually she's wonderful as a first soloist and as such, possibly dances more at the ROH (and in live relays) than she would as a principal!  Long may she continue. Always gorgeous dancing.

• Like 8

I agree that most of the movement will be in the lower ranks, as the Principal rank is already top heavy, and the First Soloist rank the same.  I still think that James Hay should be a Principal, but clearly Management disagree with me...

I think there is a lot of potential from Artist to First Artist, First Artist to Soloist and Soloist to First Soloist; if not this year, then next.  There is room for a lot of upward movement in those ranks as far as talent and ability are concerned.  I think Annette Buvoli has had a great season and I would love to see her promoted.  Ditto Leo Dixon.  I think it's only a matter of time before Lukas BB gets promoted; likewise Leticia Dias.  Does anyone know if Romany Pajdak is rejoining the company next season?  I have missed her!  

From Aud Jebsen, I have been particularly impressed recently by Martin Diaz so I hope that he is offered a contract.

• Like 18

I think Daichi Ikarachi could be bumped up a notch, to First Artist, esp after his 'win' re the Eric Bruhn Prize?

He was terrific with Viola Pantuso, Diana and Acteon PDD.

Viola I suspect next season. She appears to have been doing 'promo' work for the company, in a quiet way.

So many excellent dancers, spot your favourite here, Viola is the dancer nearest the camera in the opening clip with red lippy (which I suspect she sleeps in).

I suspect Joonhyuk Jun will make Soloist, maybe by next year.

Joe Sissons I hope makes Principal, though it won't be this year. 

UPDATE THE ROH has deleted its tweet, which is most odd!

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 3

I hope Romany will start dancing again soon with the Royal. But I'm wondering if she has been spending time with Dane Hurst. They were engaged but I've just watched a video of him on the Phoenix website and he was wearing a very thick wedding ring!

Either way, I expect she'll be in Leeds on Friday for the premiere of 2 works by Dane, one for Phoenix (Requiem to Mozart's choral masterpiece, with the chorus of Opera North and its orchestra) and After Tears: After a Requiem, to music by South African composer Neo Muyanga for Jazzart Dance Theatre and Cape Town Opera. Dane is now director of Jazzart Theatre. The programme is inspired by the grief and loss experienced during Covid.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I hope Romany will start dancing again soon with the Royal. But I'm wondering if she has been spending time with Dane Hurst. They were engaged but I've just watched a video of him on the Phoenix website and he was wearing a very thick wedding ring!

Either way, I expect she'll be in Leeds on Friday for the premiere of 2 works by Dane, one for Phoenix (Requiem to Mozart's choral masterpiece, with the chorus of Opera North and its orchestra) and After Tears: After a Requiem, to music by South African composer Neo Muyanga for Jazzart Dance Theatre and Cape Town Opera. Dane is now director of Jazzart Theatre. The programme is inspired by the grief and loss experienced during Covid.

Ms Pajdak's private life is just that, private; let's leave this discussion here and stick to promotions.

• Like 4

Would love to see Sissens promoted! But like many of you I don’t think we’ll get a new principal just yet.

I was really impressed by Hannah Grennel in the Tanowitz double bill, I think she has lots of potential. Leticia Dias would make a great first soloist, I think she’s ready for that responsibility. Masciari will definitely get somewhere, maybe not this season but I would be surprised if it’s not soon. 

From the Aud Jebsen group I’m quite struck by Alix Von Tiggelen. She’s learning how to command her long limbs to her benefit, and there are some really lovely videos on her instagram of her tinkering away in the studio. I’d love to see her have a few more roles, and hopefully join the main company!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Ms Pajdak's private life is just that, private; let's leave this discussion here and stick to promotions.

Romany Padjak is still listed as a soloist on the ROH site and has her own website with news of what she's been involved with.

https://www.romanypajdak.com/news/

This includes a film, which will premier at the ROH in October

https://yorkedance.com/productions/sea-of-troubles/

Premiere: 10 October 2023

The Royal Opera House, London

Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s chamber ballet Sea of Troubles has been performed by Yorke Dance Project to critical acclaim at the Royal Opera House and in theatres across the UK.

Now YDP, in association with The Royal Ballet, immortalise on film this visceral and emotional ballet.

Sea of Troubles is Kenneth MacMillan’s highly acclaimed ballet based on Shakespeare’s Hamlet. This classic tale of grief, despair, revenge, power and madness are seen from Hamlet’s perspective in this short, powerful ballet. Choreographed in 1988, its relevance remains undiminished and resonates deeply.

Filmed on location at the historic Hatfield House,  Sea of Troubles will premiere at the Royal Opera House, London on World Mental Health Day, 10th October 2023.

I believe Ashton's Five Brahm's Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan is being revived next season?  It would be lovely if she was involved with that, as she has danced it with the RB in the past.  Whatever she is planning, good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, LACAD said:

Would love to see Sissens promoted! But like many of you I don’t think we’ll get a new principal just yet.

From the Aud Jebsen group I’m quite struck by Alix Von Tiggelen. She’s learning how to command her long limbs to her benefit, and there are some really lovely videos on her instagram of her tinkering away in the studio. I’d love to see her have a few more roles, and hopefully join the main company!

Definitely agree with all of these. For Joseph Sissens to get to principal there will have to be a retirement from a current male principal first I assume. So I guess it won't happen for a while yet! But I hope he will get there. In the meantime I hope he gets to do more principal roles.

Totally agree about Alix Van Tiggelen, I think she's very good. I have seen her in the front quite a lot as a lilac fairy attendant/garland waltzer during the SB run. Very expressive face as well.

I think her Instagram is set to private but would love to see more rehearsal videos of the corps. I don't think there's been one since the Giselle one in 2021.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Totally agree about Alix Van Tiggelen, I think she's very good. I have seen her in the front quite a lot as a lilac fairy attendant/garland waltzer during the SB run. Very expressive face as well.

I know I've been struggling to see faces properly the past few months, but isn't that Marianna Tsembenhoi?  If not, then someone identified them wrongly to me.

Just now, alison said:

I know I've been struggling to see faces properly the past few months, but isn't that Marianna Tsembenhoi?  If not, then someone identified them wrongly to me.

They've both been doing these roles - garland waltzers, lilac fairy attendants and nymphs in Act 2. Sometimes they're on stage together, they were both lilac fairy attendants on Monday I think. Alix always wears skin toned tights and Marianna tends not to wear them.

Both brilliant dancers I think. Marianna has also stood out to me during the RB Class on Stage events, with her fouettés!

I was really impressed with Sae Maeda beautifully dancing 2 soloist roles (Fairy of the Woodland Glade and Florestan's sister) in the Naghi/Ball Sleeping Beauty on 17th May. She's currently only a First Artist. 

• Like 8

Just now, annamk said:

I was really impressed with Sae Maeda beautifully dancing 2 soloist roles (Fairy of the Woodland Glade and Florestan's sister) in the Naghi/Ball Sleeping Beauty on 17th May. She's currently only a First Artist. 

Indeed, and her Princess Florine during the first half of the run was brilliant as well.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Alix always wears skin toned tights and Marianna tends not to wear them.

That clears up a question I had, thank you! I noticed the dancing of the girl in skin toned tights and shoes and wondered who she was (now revealed apparently to be Miss Van Tiggelen), then saw another girl with similar skin tone who was in "standard" pink tights and shoes (now probably known to be Miss Tsembenhoi) and got all confused 😊 

• Like 1

Every time I see Joonhyuk Jun he is amazing so I really hope he gets promoted. To my inexpert eye he certainly stands out. Ditto Joseph Sissens. I love to watch Olivia Cowley too. I saw her doing the Arabian dance in nutcracker and it was stunning. I know she’s just back from mat leave but I hope she gets a promotion too. Lastly Melissa Hamilton to principal to replace Laura Morera. 

• Like 3

Having posed the question at the start of this thread, I find myself struggling a little because most of my 'candidates' were only promoted last summer. Nevertheless, on the basis of my own observations and the casting decisions this season, I think that the following dancers will be 'on their way up' fairly soon. Indeed, the promotion of some was probably delayed by the pandemic so there's still some 'catching up' to do.

From the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme to Artist: (I haven't connected with any of them sufficiently to comment)

From Artist to First Artist: Liam Boswell, Daichi Ikarashi, Amelia Townsend followed closely by Marco Masciari, Stanislaw Wegrzyn, Madison Bailey. [NB Having been the stars of their year at the RBS, the lack of opportunities being afforded Harrison Lee and Yu Hang, especially the latter, is somewhat surprising.]

From First Artist to Soloist: Sae Maeda; Taisuke Nakao; Joonhyuk Jun

From Soloist to First Soloist (alphabetical order): Annette Buvoli; Ashley Dean; Leticia Dias; Leo Dixon; Isabella Gasparini; Mariko Sasaki

From First Soloist to Principal - in due course rather than this year or even next: Calvin Richardson; Joseph Sissens (with Leticia Dias not far behind)

I understand why forum members suggest that they would like to see Joe and Calvin in more Principal roles but I would hope sparingly because of the need for more performances on the part of the existing Principals.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

[NB Having been the stars of their year at the RBS, the lack of opportunities being afforded Harrison Lee and Yu Hang, especially the latter, is somewhat surprising.]

I saw Yu Hang as one of the Fairies on Monday, I think Fairy of the Enchanted Garden. Very strong performance.

• Like 3

Has it happened that someone was offered promotion, and turned it down?  I ask as over the years, there have been one or two dancers that everyone, including critics, were tipping as "one to watch" - but they were never made principals.  

• Like 1

Agree with most of your selection Capybara, especially Annette Buvoli and Daichi Ikarashi (whom I've pencilled in as a principal sometime in the future. Wouldn't be surprised if Annette doesn't make principal eventually as well). Marco Masciari seems to be getting good roles for such a junior member of the Company. Definitely someone to watch, as are Leticia Dias and Isabella Gasparini. I think I'd also add Marianne Tsembenhoi who always catches my eye for the beauty of her dancing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ondine said:

UPDATE THE ROH has deleted its tweet, which is most odd!

Reposted!  See my post above. Spot the dancer!

Plus I wrote Romany Padjak in a post above and I know it's Romany Pajdak, I'm a terrible typist. Too late to edit it.

Edited by Ondine

Perhaps other cinemas had the same problem as the Preston Odeon which had to cancel tonight's Sleeping beauty live relay as they couldn't access the satellite, despite it working perfectly early in the day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Perhaps other cinemas had the same problem as the Preston Odeon which had to cancel tonight's Sleeping beauty live relay as they couldn't access the satellite, despite it working perfectly early in the day.

That's really sad. I looked on Twitter and so far it appears to be working most places. Which is no comfort to you!

Someone in the cinema said they checked on Twitter and Preston isn't the only place it wasn't working. At least for once I was on my own and not with friends. Also, I have booked Sundays encore with a couple of friends so hopefully see it then. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

• Like 4

I agree Sae Maeda has been standing out in Soloist level  performances recently...not least tonight, as one of the SB fairies, and a Floristan sister in Act 3.

Mica Bradbury had also been notable in Soloist roles. 

Those would be my two top picks for female Soloist promotions.

I agree with @capybara about Yu Hang...she should be a First Artist candidate IMO.

• Like 4

Was just thinking this evening at SB about how gorgeous a dancer Isabella Gasparini is and if I had one wish for promotion it would be for her! Also would love to see Leticia Dias promoted, Liam Boswell, Daichi and Maria Tsembenhoi (was lovely to see her featured at the Nureyev gala at the beginning of the season). Also echo desire for Leo Dixon to be promoted - along with Dias he has been one I have enjoyed watching grow over the years. 
Annette Buvoli has had some brilliant opportunities this year but I wonder if promotion might be more likely next year.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yu Hang...she should be a First Artist candidate IMO

Here she is in 2019.  There's a Prix de Lausanne vid on YT from 2016 of her prize winning solo aged 16. Stunning!

The pandemic slowed down many promising career starts didn't it?

And now there is quite a logjam of talent in the queue!

https://www.facebook.com/royaloperahouse/videos/artist-of-the-royal-ballet-yu-hang-in-rehearsal-for-the-sleeping-beauty/2564807223763281/?locale=en_GB

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blossom said:

Was just thinking this evening at SB about how gorgeous a dancer Isabella Gasparini is and if I had one wish for promotion it would be for her! Also would love to see Leticia Dias promoted, Liam Boswell, Daichi and Maria Tsembenhoi (was lovely to see her featured at the Nureyev gala at the beginning of the season). Also echo desire for Leo Dixon to be promoted - along with Dias he has been one I have enjoyed watching grow over the years. 
Annette Buvoli has had some brilliant opportunities this year but I wonder if promotion might be more likely next year.

I thought exactly the same last night as I watched Isabella Gasparini. I think she really deserves promotion and if I had one wish, it would be for her too. There are many others lower down the ranks who shine, in my opinion, and I wouldn't like to choose who is promoted and who isn't. I hope there are not any more promotions to principal - as it is, some do not get a chance to dance roles or when they do it's very limited how many times they perform. I think there is room for Isabella in a first soloist role though.

• Like 11

I'm surprised Francisco Serrano is still so down the ladder, I loved his Mercutio last year. Sissens is the one male first soloist who will 100% become principal, but they'll wait for him to gain more partnering experience before promoting him.

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 1