On 01/04/2022 at 13:17, FionaE said:

it was jointly commissioned project.  Whatever that means. 

Joint commissioning is becoming increasingly popular amongst companies, presumably as a way of cost sharing.  From doing the links I know this is very common in the USA these days.

IIRC Alice was a joint commission with NBoC for example.

Jointly commissioned is interesting … and the jointness can never be equal.  As in this case … the RB dancers get all the kudos of the premiere plus personal input into the creation.  Paris Opera won’t get any of that.  Maybe jointly commissioned doesn’t mean sharing the investment costs 50/50

7 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Maybe jointly commissioned doesn’t mean sharing the investment costs 50/50

It obviously doesn't. The 'joint commissioning'  of ENB's Raymonda with Finnish Ballet has, in similar fashion to the RB and the POB with Dante, resulted in the production being mounted in Helsinki next year.

The advantage for the company which creates the work must be some 'up front' financial investment by the 'partner' and, for the latter, maybe, advantageous or free 'rights fees' and the loan of the scenery, lighting and costumes going forward/

Maybe someone at one the presentations or interview appearances by Kevin O'Hare could ask him? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FionaE said:

Jointly commissioned is interesting … and the jointness can never be equal.  As in this case … the RB dancers get all the kudos of the premiere plus personal input into the creation.  Paris Opera won’t get any of that.  Maybe jointly commissioned doesn’t mean sharing the investment costs 50/50

But it must be beneficial for those companies that enter into the arrangements otherwise they wouldn't happen.

I gather that POB and the Paris audiences are very keen on Wayne McGregor's choreography.  I absolutely loved Tree of Codes which I saw a couple of times when it premiered in Manchester around 2015.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, PeterS said:

When I looked this morning, the Paris performances next month have sold out which is good news for both POB & ROH. 

All ballet performances at the Palais Garnier tend to be sold out.  Not only because of the ballet, but also because people want to see the Garnier building, which is beautiful and unique.

• Like 2

I’m going to the first four performances of The Dante Project in Paris, after three Cinderellas in London with one Bejart program sandwiched in on April 30.  I bought my tickets months ago when the booking periods opened.  

• Like 5

So this is interesting!! Mukhamedov…

81AC3103-1979-4F72-A8DD-326228A9A784.thumb.png.baff224f23f6a061f6aa4b9e39bbbaa6.png

I’m seeing the Bejart bill followed by Dante. If the POB interpretation is as good as the Mayerlings I saw last year with Paul Marque and Hugo Marchand then it should be a treat! 

• Like 4

Irek Mukhamedov is portraying one of the Virgils.   

PatC, I attended three of the Paris Mayerlings as well.  I also just learned a few days ago that the Royal Danish Ballet is performing The Dante Project in November. 

Edited by Josette
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to reading reviews from PatC and Josette!

There are some lovely photos on the Paris Opera’s Facebook page, with every dancer meticulously credited in each photo (well done) including a nice one of Hannah O’Neill and Germain Louvet In Sarah Lamb and Edward Watson’s old roles, in the identical pose to one of the photos in the ROH souvenir programme.

They haven’t included any photos of Irek nor did they announce it in the thread though......ooh, very mysterious. 😉 It all sounds very exciting.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 02:33, art_enthusiast said:

Do you know if an actual full album will be released?

Art_enthusiast, you may already have seen it- Nonesuch Records released the full 91 minute album (in 2 CDs, also in downloads and vinyl !) this week, performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Los Ange Master Chorale. If you look up Presto Classical’s website they not only have a nice interview with Thomas Adès, but you can also listen to short clips of each section without signing up to the website. Presto have voted it their Album of the Week. (They stock the DVD and Blu-ray of the RB performance led by Edward Watson too). 

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

And have a look at the Bay Area Reporter piece in Wednesday's Links for a comprehensive look at the Thomas Adès album.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  In April of 2022, the Los Angeles Philharmonic performed The Dante Project three times, Dudamel conducting brilliantly. Adès was in the audience.  I attended it twice

and had the opportunity to thank him for the music, which I love.  

• Like 3

On 21/04/2023 at 15:25, PatC said:

So this is interesting!! Mukhamedov…

81AC3103-1979-4F72-A8DD-326228A9A784.thumb.png.baff224f23f6a061f6aa4b9e39bbbaa6.png

I’m seeing the Bejart bill followed by Dante. If the POB interpretation is as good as the Mayerlings I saw last year with Paul Marque and Hugo Marchand then it should be a treat! 

Oh for goodness sake - the casting is now up on the POB website and I’m going to a night when Irek is not dancing …..🤦🏼‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2023 at 00:00, PatC said:

Oh for goodness sake - the casting is now up on the POB website and I’m going to a night when Irek is not dancing …..🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm intrigued.....same Irek Mukhamedov (b. 1960 I believe)who coaches etc? Have not seen Dante Project...always wanted to see him dance/perform as he has a real strength & presence - even when just standing still!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

I'm intrigued.....same Irek Mukhamedov (b. 1960 I believe)who coaches etc? Have not seen Dante Project...always wanted to see him dance/perform as he has a real strength & presence - even when just standing still!

Yes, it’s the Royal Ballet’s retired principal dancer (and former Bolshoi Ballet star), popular international guest star, who went on to teach at Central School of Ballet, lead the Greek National Ballet as director, coach at English National Ballet (in Manon, Giselle- the traditional Giselle, etc) and while working there, got cast by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa as Diego Rivera for the first cast of Broken Wings opposite Tamara Rojo as Frida Kahlo, etc...he’s been very busy! 😊 He’s performing the character role of Virgil created by Gary Avis. As you say, Peanut68, he has such strength and presence. It feels like he keeps getting roped into appearing in ballets even though he’s supposed to be retired! He was always such a brilliant dance actor and still is brilliant at the acting roles. Hope you’ll get a chance to see Dante Project this season with the Royal Ballet and that you’ll enjoy it. I did, but I must admit that was partly because Edward Watson and Sarah Lamb were in it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Dancersdiary has made a documentary  about Mukhamedov and posted it on YouTube Jan 31, 2023

Irek Mukhamedov,  a documentary

I quote, 

The Life story of one of the Iconic Ballet Dancer  -  Irek Mukhamedov. so privileged to be able to interview him about his journey to became a Ballet Star. the dance footage in this film has been put together from different sources on YouTube

• Thanks 1

Oh is it in in RB programme again? I do easily lose track of what’s on/where/by whom!!

Having  said that, I did look at forum on computer rather than phone yesterday & saw the ‘upcoming events’ by date running on right hand side (which phone for obs size reasons does not show) & realise this just could help me with this & will use to try schedule in what I most want to/can afford to/can timetable in with life & family commitments & which I can geographically actually get to!

As ever, thank you Forum….. though this isn’t perhaps as full as could be & do wonder at summer schools being included? Maybe ‘Doing Dance’ could list masterclasses/courses etc & ‘performances’ & ‘news’ strands list shows/talks etc? 
I do realise I’m potentially appearing a little pushy here & that mods/contributors etc probably are already giving up much time & energy to the forum - our collective thanks to all!!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stucha said:

Irek appears dancing in this interview regarding Dante Project in Paris...

How delightfully articulate Germain Louvet is (I would expect nothing less).  However this clip reminds me that the only saving grace of the Dante Project for me was Edward Watson's performance, in spite of the dreaded dressing-gown.  To see the once-great Mukhamedov, who still burns in my memory as Spartacus when both he and I were young, just makes me sad.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

How delightfully articulate Germain Louvet is (I would expect nothing less).  However this clip reminds me that the only saving grace of the Dante Project for me was Edward Watson's performance, in spite of the dreaded dressing-gown.  To see the once-great Mukhamedov, who still burns in my memory as Spartacus when both he and I were young, just makes me sad.

He is indeed articulate, though much as I enjoyed The DP I think that many of the ideas he mentions really come from the poem and would not be evident to someone watching the ballet without knowledge of the source.

Mukhamedov still looks great to me in this clip: grave and stately and moving with grace and beauty. 

• Like 5

much like the new Cinderella which took a while to settle into my pysche, i'll be the first to admit that Dante Project isn't the most accessible ballet on first viewing.  my experience is that it is worth persevering.   i saw it several times on it's first outing and came to love it more each time.

so now, hearing those few bars reminds me how wonderful the score is & seeing those few clips reminds me how amazing a ballet it is.

looking forward to seeing this again at the end of the month again in Paris and at the ROH in due course.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

many of the ideas he mentions really come from the poem and would not be evident to someone watching the ballet without knowledge of the source.

I completely agree- as so often with Wayne.

However it was a  real joy to watch Germain Louvet's interview.

In many ways, despite my feeling that the dance itself does not convey the story/ideas-  I do think there are some fine aspects to this work BUT in the end it comes down to this - I just can't get past those frightful Damart nighties.

• Like 3