Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

19 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I'm seeing the live stream on Wednesday and am looking forward to it very much, not having seen this particular ballet before.

Me too.  I'm really excited to see it having seen all of the different reviews of the piece.  

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much enjoyed my unplanned visit to the ROH this afternoon to see Lamb/McRae - and I'm a new convert to SCS having had the most perfect spot in the block just to the right of the light box.

Loved seeing the Lamb/McRae partnership, they were wonderful together. The partnership I particularly enjoyed though was James Hay and Bennett Gartside who I think are my favourite pairing so far (having seen Whitehead/Acri and Arestis/McNally). They were danced elegantly with just the right balance of slapstick - and I understand that this is exactly the note they had hoped to hit with this production. This made Act 1 even better than previous viewins. Itziar Mendizabel was also a beautiful Fairy Godmother - I think it's the first time I've seen her back on stage since before Covid/her baby.

The production as a whole grows on me with each viewing. It is made for the 21st century and I do believe that the designs and colour will attract audiences who may not have considered traditional ballet before (if only some better images and if possible video could be used to garner interest - either they had no budget for creative or there has been some ongoing embargo). Every time I notice an extra little detail. 

Lovely to meet @Dawnstar (hope you enjoyed the evening performance).

Spotted Francesca Hayward's grandparents on my way out this afternoon, so a special performance for her this evening.

• Like 8

Unfortunately, Leticia Dias injured herself in Act1 and Isabella Gasparini was announced as her Spring Fairy replacement for Act 3.

But a taller dancer stood in in Act 2. Does anyone know who that was? The black wig rather masked her face.

7 minutes ago, ElleC said:

I’m pretty sure it was Annette Buvoli - she was busy tonight!

Yes, I think you are correct. I spotted Gary Avis come to fetch Kevin O’Hare in the middle of the First interval and they both disappeared back stage. Was therefore waiting for announcement before Act 2 which didn’t come. But sure it was Annette in Act 2

• Like 2

I was very impressed during the performance at Annette Buvoli moving from Fairy Godmother to Autumn & back to Fairy Godmother. I was even more impressed when I spoke to her at the stage door afterwards & she said she hasn't learnt the role of Autumn, she's only due to be dancing Winter! She said it's fortunate both are on the same side. I would never have guessed it: she looked flawless to my admittedly inexpert eyes. I will never cease to be amazed at the no-notice jump-ins performers manage to do. I hope Leticia Dias isn't too badly hurt.

• Like 22

I very much enjoyed Sarah Lamb's intelligent portrayal of Cinderella this afternoon: her every reaction would, I suspect, have been clearly readable from the amphitheatre, and she seemed to make her presence felt more in the early part of Act I, unlike some other Cinderellas I've seen over the years who have tended to be eclipsed by the antics of the stepsisters.  This may have been aided by some more restrained playing of those roles by Messrs Gartside and Hay, of course, and possibly also by greater experience, as I presume she would have danced the role in the previous production.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Blossom said:

(if only some better images and if possible video could be used to garner interest - either they had no budget for creative or there has been some ongoing embargo).. 

It seems that this prayer has finally been answered- wonder if it will help or not. 

Rob the photos are wonderful as usual- but the ones of Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae are the best photos of that pair I have seen, and really capture the friendship between them - I am sure they would love them.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I was very impressed during the performance at Annette Buvoli moving from Fairy Godmother to Autumn & back to Fairy Godmother.

Sorry, rather confused....aren't  Autumn and the FG on together in Act 2? So  who was the FG?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Fairy Godmother isn’t invited to act 2 

I feel sorry for the Fairy Godmother, she got her the dress (tutu in this case) Carriage and even got the other fairies to come. Sad for the Godmother but Good for Annette, What talent!

Edited by Benjamin
Can’t spell on this keyboard
  • Like 3

I very much enjoyed yesterday evening’s Cinderella. Francesca Hayward makes a fabulous Cinderella, exceptional in the home scenes and I thought more relaxed in the ball/finale scenes, making for more secure lifts. Alex Campbell is an admirable prince and partner.

Annette Buvoli was a lovely Fairy Godmother and Act 2 Autumn.

I’m afraid Napoleon’s wig ‘joke’ can just about manage the one fall (well done in the matinee) but it had run very thin by the end.

Interesting to see Christina Arestes and Kristen McNally as the step sisters after Bennet Gartside and James Hay in the matinee. I’m slightly surprised to find I preferred the matinee although I’m still hoping we’ll see further performances from women sisters in addition to the final Francesca Hayward performance this Saturday evening.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

It seems that this prayer has finally been answered- wonder if it will help or not. 

Is that simply because they were recording the backup Nunez/Muntagirov performance on the 5th, or are you referring to something else?

54 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m afraid Napoleon’s wig ‘joke’ can just about manage the one fall (well done in the matinee) but it had run very thin by the end.

The joke, the wig, or both?

55 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Francesca Hayward makes a fabulous Cinderella, exceptional in the home scenes and I thought more relaxed in the ball/finale scenes, making for more secure lifts. Alex Campbell is an admirable prince and partner.

I am sorry to be missing these two this run - hoping for a fairly early return of Cinderella to remedy this.

I also very much enjoyed last night's performance.  So did the wig; it was having a great time misbehaving!

I loved Francesca Hayward's Cinderella; she is gossamer light and really tackles the fleet footwork very well.  Her technique is not always as confident and assured as Nunes/Naghdi (the other two Cinders I have seen thus far), but she really excels at Ashton (and MacMillan).  I also understood why anyone would fall in love with this character; so sweet, but with a deeper well of emotion that we could see was dying to reveal itself.  This happened when and after she met her prince (great to see Alex Campbell onstage, especially partnering Hayward; they always work so well together)...all the love she had to give was there for him, and us, to see.

Special brava to Annette Buvoli, a beautiful FG, and I thought I was seeing things when she appeared as Autumn in Act 2 (I am sure she was being taught it during the Insight?), and then back to the FG in Act 3 when Isabella Gasparini took over from Leticia Dias, who had had a stumble in Act 1 (I hope she's ok). 

I'm not sure why, but the lady stepsisters didn't really work for me.  I didn't find myself laughing as I do with the guys 'en travesti.'  Maybe they just seemed like real girls so there was nothing particularly funny about it.  The same jokes were there...maybe because with the guys they are more exaggerated it makes me smile or laugh.  I don't know, I can't really explain it.  It wasn't them, it was me.   

I am growing to like the music more and more, and I do like this production.  As I have said previously, no production will ever make me love this ballet, but I am really enjoying the performances.  Have the fairies now lost the wigs??  

It was great to finally meet @Dawnstar and to see @JohnS and @Scheherezade again.  Always lovely to meet up with other forum folks.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Oh drat, I meant to look for Dawnstar at the matinee.  Sorry, Dawnstar!

Just wondering, what exactly do the season fairies do in Act II?  Bourrée in along the walkway at the back, then dance in an octet with the four Friends, and line up ready to welcome Cinderella?  Anything else?  I don't think there's any solo work.  So it was fortunate that Buvoli already knew Winter, I guess, which is on the same side as autumn, but kudos to her for stepping in.  I hope Dias' injury isn't serious.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Is that simply because they were recording the backup Nunez/Muntagirov performance on the 5th, or are you referring to something else?

No- I can’t share the link to the ad I saw unfortunately off Facebook… It includes a lot of images from the production plus glowing reviews…

• Like 3

Lizbie1 is right.  If let’s say the 30 top price orchestra stalls seats are all unsold (ie £170x30= £5100) because the ticket prices have all been raised by 10% for example  (face it, some areas are actually more than 10% higher), they are still making more money because the 10% rise earned from the remaining 2220 or more seats is far more than £5100. There is of course a limit when the number of seats sold at higher prices cannot compensate for too many unsold seats in the pricey areas, so that’s why the discount went out (although it would have been wiser in terms of goodwill as well as for economic sense to offer them to all Friends rather than just some).

It may look alarming to have one or two rows of empty seats when gambling on this method but they can always find staff, sponsors, guests of management, etc to fill those seats so it never looks “empty” to the rest of the audience. Yes, it is a cynical observation but that’s life - and arithmetic. When energy bills went up and Arts Council funding were announced to go down, with losses still ticking over from pandemic closures, they had to do something to avoid cutting whole departments, so....there we have it. They have probably maxed out efforts to raise sponsorship (but don’t forget hundreds of other arts organisations are also hungry to get those same sponsors) but there’s also a limit to how many big sponsors there are. 

The point about the Ring Cycle (or their Fidelio) selling out may well be that “if so many people can afford to buy them that quickly, maybe they’re not expensive enough”, but the problem is that nobody knows what the magic number at which you can raise the prices even higher but people will still pay, versus a price that is way too much that people will just say “oh that’s ridiculous” and only buy the amphitheatre or not even that, is. 

And the problem is that you can only partly predict that number if you have a crystal ball and you know in advance who is going to accept the gig (opera) and who is going to be cast/who won’t be injured (ballet). Even though opera diaries and contracts are agreed 2 to 5 years in advance, voices change and plans change (eg maternity leave, cancer or other serious disease requiring treatment and convalescence, etc). A star can subsequently become completely wrong for a role. 

Very rarely, it can also work out the opposite way- an inexpensive unknown suddenly turns out to be a phenomenal hit and helps you sell tickets: the ROH were very lucky with SeokJong Baek, who really should get a special prize for reviving box office sales not once but twice. 

I do remember Cinderella from about 13 years ago, when it was the first ballet (shortly followed by Nutcracker) where ticket prices were going to rise to £100 and above (for the Grand Tier and Orchestra Stalls) for the first time and complaining to a friend that it was overpriced. If I had known then what they are charging for the Amphitheatre now.......! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Emeralds you make a good point, but it still looks like a gamble which didn’t pay off if you look at some of the remaining dates which show a similar picture to many of the dates which have already passed - e.g. 27 April - which they are now trying to fill by offering a Friends event, which doesn’t seem to have shifted any seats so far.

• Like 1